✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is it safe to say that Mylo Xyloto is a UK sales flop?

ihaveabono

Sales are dropping badly in 2nd week. Looks like it may bomb.

99% of albums will see a drop during the 2nd week. Even in the US! Expect a 60 to 75% drop in the second week. That's normal for every album.

Lady Gaga's BTW album dropped 84% in the second week (that's a record)

MX is already one of the most successful albums of the year and the tour will be a success.

99% of albums will see a drop during the 2nd week. Even in the US! Expect a 60 to 75% drop in the second week. That's normal for every album.

Lady Gaga's BTW album dropped 84% in the second week (that's a record)

MX is already one of the most successful albums of the year and the tour will be a success.

They are dropping more than expected.

^ Er says who? You? Where did these expectations come from? :thinking:

By comparison Gaga (who has the highest debut week sales of the year) sales dropped 80% in the second week too.

Album sales are low to start with, and Coldplay pushed and pushed the pre-sales to the point that it was entering the iTunes chart before it was even released. Of course there was gonna be a massive drop off. If there wasn't another huge album out the week after Mylo, it would still be number one and no-one would be worrying.

They are dropping more than expected.

I can no longer take you seriously.

MX second week just started and there has been no news regarding the sales estimates. Heck, the 1st week of sales in the US will be confirmed in an hour. How do you know they are dropping more than expected?

MX was predicted to sell between 425K to 450K and word has it it has sold 458K (more than expected)

"In the United Kingdom, the album sold over 122,000 copies in its first three days of sale according to The Official Charts Company. It debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart with first-week sales of over 208,000 copies, giving the band their fifth number-one album and the second biggest first-week sales of 2011 behind Lady Gaga's Born This Way."

Sales are down so it was to be expected really, I thought they would sell more but 2nd biggest opening week in the UK and breaking the digital download record, that is nowhere near a flop.

Mylo Xyloto will sell more over time than VLV did, more so in the UK, Lost! completely bombed because it wasn't really that good of a song compared to most of Coldplay's single material and it was handled badly from a marketing view while PoC then Charlie Brown (that would be the most logical) may even be the most successful singles from this era but success meaning airplay and exposure, think back to Clocks rather than chart position.

VLV in the UK was selling 20-30k a week after about a month but because of Christmas will be selling more easily and the 4th single will give it another boost earlier on next year.

Sales are down so it was to be expected really, I thought they would sell more but 2nd biggest opening week in the UK and breaking the digital download record, that is nowhere near a flop.

Mylo Xyloto will sell more over time than VLV did, more so in the UK, Lost! completely bombed because it wasn't really that good of a song compared to most of Coldplay's single material and it was handled badly from a marketing view while PoC then Charlie Brown (that would be the most logical) may even be the most successful singles from this era but success meaning airplay and exposure, think back to Clocks rather than chart position.

VLV in the UK was selling 20-30k a week after about a month but because of Christmas will be selling more easily and the 4th single will give it another boost earlier on next year.

nice analysis, :) and yeah, i hope ur right :) mylo xyloto for me is a great album :) i hope it sells well in the long run

Everyone is going to have to continue to redefine expectations for sales.

First, I've taken all these "largest digital sales record" things with a grain of salt, because you have to consider that we still haven't reached the point where everyone has switched from buying CDs to just buying online. At some point we'll probably reach a place where the normal distribution between physical and digital sales sets in, but I still don't think we have.

In my mind this just means that maybe they only broke the digital sales record because less people are buying physical, and therefore bought digital this time around. Perfectly plausible.

But honestly, sales really cannot work as a metric anymore. Neither can radio charts. Everything is just too divided. I have not listened to the radio in eight years. If I listen to the radio, I listen to SiriusXM. People have more control than ever over what they buy. So the fact that the band sells any physical copies says A LOT.

Album successes are going to be almost impossible to judge from now on, if you aren't just a singles artist. And we know Coldplay aren't.

Sales are dropping badly in 2nd week. Looks like it may bomb.
I would put that down to the way it has been promoted. Most of the sales I would guess came from presales after songs were heavily played both on the radio and at festivals. If it had been "put out there" without knowing what the songs were that were on the album it would have been the same decline, but over a longer period of time.