✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[6-Dec-2011] Radio 2 Gig: Coldplay @ Dingwalls, London, UK (15-Dec-11 Broadcast Date) tickets availa

Caught Live: Coldplay @ Dingwalls

29xuptl.jpg

Gig ... Coldplay return to venue where they performed 13 years ago

COLDPLAY last night returned to the tiny London venue they played 13 years ago as an unsigned band raising cash for studio sessions.

Flyers for their 1998 Dingwalls gig billed them as The Coldplay, tickets cost a paltry £4 and only a handful of people showed up.

By contrast, more than 60,000 fans applied for free entry to the band's Radio 2 show at the 500-capacity club last night.

And they proved that size – and, in this case, concert revenue – doesn't matter to them as they embarked on an exhilarating set.

Frontman Chris could have solved the UK drought crisis alone if he'd bottled the sweat he shed throughout the gig.

"We're supposed to be a professional band for f***'s sake," he said after several false starts before opening tune Hurts Like Heaven.

He explained it was a struggle for them to "acclimatise" to playing such a tiny place, telling the crowd: "I've got more cousins than this where I come from."

Tracks from their album Mylo Xyloto pack an even bigger punch live, especially recent single Paradise.

But the biggest cheers went to stadium anthems Yellow, In My Place, Viva La Vida and Fix You.

The gig will be broadcast on Radio 2 on Thursday, December 15, from 8pm to 10pm and will be on TV via the red button for a week at 10pm that night.

link

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay return to first venue they ever played

chris-martin-performs-with-his-band-coldplay-786896829.jpg

Chris Martin performs with his band Coldplay

CAMDEN’S Dingwalls club played host to Coldplay last night as they returned to the first venue they ever played as part of BBC Radio 2’s In Concert homecoming gig.

Frontman Chris Martin, 34, joked that both shows got off to a similarly rocky start. He told the crowd: “This is worse than 14 years ago. We f***** that up, too.

“We’re a professional band for f***’s sake, come on! It’s like playing in front of family – I’ve got more cousins than this.”

With psychedelic staging, the boys put on a great show, trotting out Mylo Xyloto, Yellow and In My Place in front of celebs including X Factor’s Dermot O’Leary and former EastEnders star Michelle Ryan.

The crowd even joined in for a finale of Fix You and Every Teardrop, before the final festive treat, Christmas Lights.

Awww, it makes me feel all warm inside

link

Wow, I can't believe you went down there without tickets and got let in! I wouldn't have even thought to do that. Would have been really annoyed if I drove several hours to London and then didn't get in though...

Very pleased for you and glad it was a good show too, can't wait to see it on TV!

How did they bugger up at the start?

Is this going to be on tv or radio?

Whatever the trigger for the start of MX is (I'm assuming it's Chris' piano) didn't work. He kept going off and back on again, it didn't work until the third time. Also Jo Whiley messed up her intro, so we got that again too :P

I didn't actually notice it while I was there but when I saw the video it was like two cats fighting!

I caught a couple of video clips with poor sound where I didj't even hear it, but as soon as a good quality vid landed on Youtube, I couldn't NOT hear it! I can still re-capture it in my head,lol. It was pretty bad...and I have 2 cats whose fights sound close,lol.But if they want to do Daylight, I'm happy to put up with these little 'rehearsal' moments!;)

Whatever the trigger for the start of MX is (I'm assuming it's Chris' piano) didn't work. He kept going off and back on again, it didn't work until the third time. Also Jo Whiley messed up her intro, so we got that again too :P

As far as I know, he has sequenced parts for a lot of tracks in his piano(s?), and has for years, but they take a lot of abuse, so nothing would surprise me!

Re: Daylight, Jonny did have a slide on his mic stand, and they did change the setlist at least twice during setup (sheets of paper went down, sheets of paper got swapped and swapped again..), so it's entirely likely they only decided yes/no at the last minute!

FWIW I'd have happily swapped Politik for Clocks myself, but I'm not complaining :)

Bloody Hell Mich! LOL You are SOOO Jammy you make jam look like... well something not jammy! hahaha... Glad you girls all got to go.. wow.. lucky buggers LOL.. I bet it was awesome..

Just a small issue, how on earth are you going to fit all these gigs into your signature line? You'll need a continuation sheet soon!:laugh3::laugh3:

There were no VIPs - Chris Martin's wife Gwyneth Paltrow stayed at home in Belsize Park with their children Apple and Moses.

Paltrow was unable to watch as the venue is too small to accommodate a VIP area. A source said: "With no fenced off areas, there was a fear she could have been mobbed."

link

:blank:

Wow, amazing!! :o

So happy so many got in to what was such a tiny gig :dance:

Would really love to hear some detailed reviews (as always) if people have time - they make the experience completely come alive for those of us who couldn't attend - thanks! :)

There were no VIPs - Chris Martin's wife Gwyneth Paltrow stayed at home in Belsize Park with their children Apple and Moses.

Paltrow was unable to watch as the venue is too small to accommodate a VIP area. A source said: "With no fenced off areas, there was a fear she could have been mobbed."

link

:blank:

Nah, seriously they've worded it to make her sound precious but she really couldn't have gone. We were all smushed against each other, celebrities and all. Even the minor celebs like Dermot O'Leary and Steve Lamacq were getting hassled, so imagine a major celebrity. It would have required a major security detail. If she'd shown up it would have pulled focus from the band. I can see why she didn't.

Yes, I really hope someone will record it, I didn't take any video because they would turn out crap and because they were going to show the gig on tv :)

So what can I say, it was a last minute decision really to go to London for these few days. It was impossible to find cheap flights from Italy for the weekend since today is national holiday, so we didn't even try for the O2 date (I mean, we tried to buy tickets when they went on sale, but didn't manage to, and while waiting for a Dec 10th date, flights kept increasing in price).

We tried the competition with coldplay.com, and didn't win, so me and my friend decided to try on the day. She missed last year's Liverpool gig because of the snow, and today it's her birthday, so it would have been such an amazing present for her.

We waited outside Dingwalls from about 11, and we also met another Italian girl there. It was kind of surreal to see all their roadies going back and forth, Fransky, Dan Green and Rik Simpson as well, and then all the VIPs invited to the gig (Jo Whiley, who was the host of the evening, Steve Lamacq, Dermot O'Leary, just to name the first I can remember). We managed to talk to Phil, who is always so nice with us, and also said hi to Debs :nice:

The person from BBC in charge of controlling the people with tickets told us there was a really really slim chance for us to get in, but we had been waiting for quite a few hours already, waiting a little bit more was nothing really, even though it was freezing cold.

The BBC winners had an 8pm deadline to show up, then they counted us again, we were 25 without tickets, and when 8pm came they let us all in :D

Of course the place was already packed up so I had quite a few tall people in front of me, the only thing that bothered me is that they didn't even seem to enjoy themselves that much and there was still a lot of place on the front but people were blocking the stairs down..anyway, it was just awesome to be there.

Jo Whiley came in to introduce them, and when they came on, as you've read on the previous posts, MX wouldn't start, which was a good thing since they played it and Hurts Like Heaven twice :D It was the first time for me to hear Up in Flames and I quite enjoyed it, I don't like What If that much (must be one of my least favorites on X&Y) and would have rather heard Daylight, but am really not complaining. I was happy they played Us Against the World, because it really grew on me since this summer, and it was nice to hear Christmas Lights live again.

We waited for them after the gig and got to meet Chris, Jonny and Will. Chris said it was one of their worst gigs ever because they made a lot of mistakes. Also I finally have one of the yellow picks used by Guy, thanks to the lovely Hoppy (round of applauses for him for keeping working even using crutches).

It's been a nice few days in London, and full of coldplay related hints, so it was bound to be a successfull trip :P

It was lovely to meet Cris, I'm so happy she got in as well considering how far she's coming from, nice to see Mich again, I didn't even know what time you arrived to queue up, and also Graham whom I had met in 2009 :nice:

Here's a few pics, sorry but they came out kind of crap, lights were not really helpful, and I had to stand on my toes because of the tall people in front of me.

386168_10150394098076179_627276178_8761928_654300016_n.jpg

390790_10150394098416179_627276178_8761934_1338960398_n.jpg

377468_10150394098821179_627276178_8761940_1678490802_n.jpg

377953_10150394098871179_627276178_8761942_187856440_n.jpg

388523_10150394098971179_627276178_8761943_1828809837_n.jpg

379944_10150394099131179_627276178_8761945_1726394092_n.jpg

380961_10150394099346179_627276178_8761947_1868235381_n.jpg

374268_10150394099516179_627276178_8761950_1843504794_n.jpg

386166_10150394099626179_627276178_8761951_1647985507_n.jpg

376439_10150394099781179_627276178_8761953_2044235710_n.jpg

391900_10150394100211179_627276178_8761957_799211437_n.jpg

373964_10150394269736179_627276178_8762431_1848305094_n.jpg

389794_10150394270001179_627276178_8762434_580645776_n.jpg

383573_10150394270451179_627276178_8762438_78817019_n.jpg

20111206dng14.jpg

COLDPLAY Live At Dingwalls

'Coldplay, live at Dingwalls' is the most unlikely combination of words but it's exactly what took place this week in Camden.

Coldplay have history with Dingwalls, for it was in this dingy little club where they kick-started their career back in the late 90's in front of just 40 people. Today they top the charts, sell out stadiums and shag Hollywood royalty.

They've come a long way. And, oddly, I have a tiny walk-on part in their history.

Back in 2000, I was working at the BBC, producing a music show, Inside Tracks, fronted by the Irish comic Sean Hughes. On my desk one morning landed the new single from an unknown band called Coldplay. The song was called Yellow and it was a no-brainer future hit. I booked them on the spot to appear on the following week's show. It would be one of their first ever TV appearances and the launch pad to a slot on Later... Yeah, no worries lads, I assume the cheque's in the post.

A fresh-faced Coldplay arrived and did their thing - and pretty damn good they were too. But back then it was still difficult to predict just how far they would go.

For me, pop music is and always will be wrapped up in image and in that department Coldplay just seemed too sensible, too middle-class, too educated and way too well-behaved. I like my rock stars to do their jobs properly and that means overdoses, smashed hotel rooms and all night orgies. Coldplay probably have a Hoover backstage and fizzy mineral water and vitamins in their rider.

But lifestyle choices shouldn't detract from the music and Chris Martin sure as heck knows his way around a melody so, over a decade after first meeting them, I'm well up for seeing them live and close up.

Dingwalls has a capacity of just 400 and was one of the lucky few to be invited there as part of Radio 2 In Concert (the gig will be broadcast on the 15th December at 8pm.)

I find it quite surreal - there I am waiting for my pint at the bar when the hypnotic tones of that first single Yellow strike up. "Look at the stars... " sings Chris Martin and I turn towards the stage and see Dermot O Leary standing a few yards away from me. See, that guy really is a star. Charm in a bottle right there. Star quality is that intangible thing and Dermot's got IT. But have Coldplay?

They look so damn healthy is all I'm thinking right now. I bet they have a massage therapist backstage too. And a vegetarian chef. And quite possibly some candles. Motley Cru they are not.

But again: the music, the music, the MUSIC.

And Coldplay, to give them their due, do have the music. Their songs do seem to make people happy and as I stand there listening, I too feel happy. Fix You is an anthemic triumph. It makes me feel warm and cosy. Mind you, I could just be drunk. In fact, that's more than likely as I've been taking advantage of a free bar tonight.

A few pints in I start to think I'm really getting a handle on this gig - it's really good, really really good. Maybe I could love Coldplay after all. Or am I just drunk? Yeah, I could just be drunk.

And there I think is the rub - seeing Coldplay is like going on a date with a girl you like and get on with but who you find just a little bit boring. You fancy them a little bit, but not a lot. Drinking loads really helps get things going, makes you feel passionate, fills the gaps, and gives meaning and substance where there was none.

But really, when the crunch comes, you find you're on a false trip of hope that will end with a headache and regret.

Maybe that's a little bit unfair. Ah, it's so frustrating but I can't help but feel that Coldplay could have been so much more than what they are. They're a little like the England football team...they show immense promise, they sometimes show unbelievable class and real panache....but they're ultimately disappointing. When they triumph, with a nugget from the top drawer - Fix You, Viva La Vida and The Scientist - then I find them admirable but somehow still not quite loveable. Sure they have talent, but sadly for me, no edge.

After the gig I feel like going backstage, shaking their hands and saying, "Well done lads" but I don't feel like hugging and kissing them and saying, 'God damn I fucking love you!'

Yeah, Dermot, you got away lightly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ashley-hames/coldplay-live-at-dingwalls_b_1136572.html?ref=uk

Radio 2 in Concert featuring Coldplay is at 8pm on Thursday 15 December on BBC Radio 2 and can be viewed on the red button

phones.jpg

Listen to tonight's Radio 2 concert

15 December 2011 2:23 pm

Hear last week's Dingwalls show wherever in the world you are

news_line.png

Last week, Coldplay performed a special Christmas show at London's Dingwalls venue for BBC Radio 2 In Concert. The show will be broadcast tonight (Thursday, 15 December) at 8pm UK time. You can listen live online, wherever in the world you are, by clicking here.

Then, from 10pm, those of you in the UK will be able to watch highlights on the Radio 2 website or by pressing the Red Button on your TV remote control from any BBC TV Channel.

Anchorman

MA_Coldplay_Dingwalls_11.sflb.ashx&width=580&height=350&quality=85

"Preview" - Coldplay in Concert at Dingwalls

Back in May 1998 an unsigned band billed as the Coldplay performed at Dingwalls, a small club in London’s Camden Lock, to a meagre audience who had paid just £4 to get in.

Flash forward 13 years, and Coldplay are back to play an exclusive gig at the club for BBC Radio 2’s In Concert. In the intervening years they’ve clocked up five albums with sales in the gazillions, masses of hit singles and a decent clutch of Brit Awards and Grammys.

Few of us there needed reminding that this was something of an event - even a little surreal. The moment seemed to get to the band as well as they fluffed the opening number Hurts like Heaven. Chris Martin admitted that seeing the whites of an audience's eyes again after so many years of playing stadiums took some getting used to: “I’ve got more cousins than this” was how he put it.

But that shaky start behind them, they played a powerful set that showcased their new album Mylo Xyloto (including a great version of Us against the World), and stadium anthems from across their catalogue: Yellow, Viva la Vida, Fix You…the list goes on.

It’s become trendy in some circles to be a bit snitty about Coldplay, but they’ve proved they can mix it with the best of them in the biggest arenas - as their all-conquering, follow-that-Beyoncé set at this year’s Glastonbury proved. But aren’t events like this one really the way that rock music was supposed to be experienced? In a small venue, the crowd within touching distance and sweat dripping off the walls?

Coldplay proved here they can still deliver even when stripped of the lasers and trappings of the mega gig.

Radio 2 in Concert featuring Coldplay is at 8pm on Thursday 15 December on BBC Radio 2 and can be viewed on the red button for the next ten days.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-12-14/preview-coldplay-in-concert-at-dingwalls