✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Boards of Canada

Professor Peedston

Whaaa? I LOVE the new Daft Punk record. Haterz gon' hate. :phu:

But yeah. Boards of Canada. I just got through reading some comments on a post about the worst albums of this year so far, and a few of them were saying that the new Boards of Canada would be it for them. Then again, it was from a blog post from Consequence of Sound, if that means anything. (At any rate, the new Boards of Canada wasn't dissed nearly as much as the new Strokes record.)

Either way, I'm probably going to go listen to it. My interest has been piqued after hearing "Reach for the Dead."

Never heard of Consequence Of Sound. To be honest, I'm not too bothered what the press make of this album as it isn't set out to be a crowd pleaser. It's its own thing. Like I said, it's missing some singles (which is likely why it's been criticised on Consequence Of Sound) but if it's simply taken as where BoC are up to, and just appreciated for the sounds then it's great.

Daft Punk was set out to be 'amazing' and there was a lot of effort put into making it accessible. There was also an awful lot of hype driven up to, so I've probably reacted a lot differently to both albums due to that. Had it been roles reversed I still wouldn't have liked the new Daft Punk album but not held such negative emotions towards it, and if BoC had been released like the DP album, and with as much focus on pop then (whilst I still believe it would have come out better), I would likely be simply regarding it as decent. A lot of it is about the entire aura of the albums and the expressions behind them.

That's my own personal opinion anyway.

Daft Punk was set out to be 'amazing' and there was a lot of effort put into making it accessible. There was also an awful lot of hype driven up to, so I've probably reacted a lot differently to both albums due to that. Had it been roles reversed I still wouldn't have liked the new Daft Punk album but not held such negative emotions towards it, and if BoC had been released like the DP album, and with as much focus on pop then (whilst I still believe it would have come out better), I would likely be simply regarding it as decent. A lot of it is about the entire aura of the albums and the expressions behind them.

That's my own personal opinion anyway.

Yeah, I think I can see where you're coming from in terms of hype. If you're expecting one thing based on what other people are saying and you get something else, that's bound to be disappointing.

I think part of the problem with the Daft Punk record for some people as well is the fact that it draws from the influence of the '70s, and I think that sort of thing translates differently, depending on how much you like the '70s or Daft Punk or even electronic music in general. I love music that has different aspects to it, so for me, this was something I really appreciated.

To me it just sounded like Nile Rodgers having Daft Punk guest on a few of his songs. Daft Punk going through the same formulae. Then a few Pharrell tracks. It was like they'd taken a back step, let the others do the work and just added sprinkles of their signature sound. That's obviously not what happened, it's just the other two guys work really pushes to the front and that was a shame for me.

As for Boards of Canada it is their signature stuff, but with plenty of layers and very subtle in terms of picking things up on every listen. On first listen it seems pretty basic but appealing, then on further listens you get into new bits. With Get Lucky you get what you hear first time.

Yeah, you make a point there. I noticed there were a LOT of features on this record, and I can see how that translates into the featured artists being in the forefront. Maybe that's part of why I like it, though. Ionno.