🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The 11th Mixtape Exchange (Mixtapes due December 30 at 11 pm GMT)

an angel

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6. I thought it was a Church song first. It's a slower tempo song mainly based on piano and echoed vocals. "Coloraaaado, Coloraaaaaaaaaaadooooo." I like this one.

Ooh this is my favourite of this artist's songs :dazzled:

also yay adam young

:curtain:

Hi there. I made your tape. :cheesy: I put a theme on it because I hadn't really tried it before, and I wanted to see what direction I could take with it. After some thought and searching through my iTunes, I came up with the US state theme. (I'm glad you caught on, BTW.) I'll leave my comments in blue within your quoted post.

I'm also done with my review:

Track by track:

1. A brilliant piano-based track. Nice intro to a mixtape. :) I loved his voice and lyrics so much and I just had to cheat so I googled the lyrics and it's Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise.

I've rarely listened to Sufjan before and I really regret that. But I'm going to change that now!

Yes, it's Sufjan, and yes, "Illinoise" is the album. The song is called "Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois." I thought this would be a great opener. I'm glad you enjoyed it. (Fun fact: Sufjan has two state-themed albums, one being "Illinoise." The other deals with his home state of Michigan. He started this for a 50-states project he announced he was going to do. Obviously, he later called it off. :tongue:)

2. Interesting song. On the first listen it wasn't anything special, but it grew on me as I listened to it more. I think I'll return a lot to this song, which one is it? Something to do with Hawaii.

It's from an English band called Friendly Fires. Their album "Pala" is one of my favorites of 2011, so I took this track from it. It's called "Hawaiian Air."

3. Acoustic track. I think I recognize his voice... Is it Belle & Sebastian? The melody is nice, but pretty repetitive so it's a bit boring to me, sorry. Again something about states... I'd say this is New York.

Yep, it sure is. "Piazza, New York Catcher" is one of my favorites by them. I can understand why you feel the way you do, though.

4. Electronic-instrumental song. As I usually like songs like this, I like this one too. Is it a remix or an original song? I can't figure out the state :P

It's an original song. Generally speaking, I can't stand remixes. :tongue: This is "A City in Florida" by deadmau5.

5. This one starts soooo randomly. I don't have a guess what this is. :P Never heard something like this before, I think it's quite experimental. But I don't really like it. California.

Yep. "California English," to be precise. It's interesting that you think this is an experimental band, because they really aren't. Vampire Weekend is more of an indie band with world influences.

6. I thought it was a Church song first. :lol: It's a slower tempo song mainly based on piano and echoed vocals. "Coloraaaado, Coloraaaaaaaaaaadooooo." I like this one. :)

Oh, good! :D Obviously, it's called "Colorado," and it's by Grizzly Bear.

7. Rap is definetely not a thing for me. (There are some exceptions, though) :blank: But I like the melody of this song. And uhh, I don't know what to expect from this mixtape anymore! :lol: Can't figure out the state.

I'm kinda choicy with my music on that side of the music spectrum myself, but I like Gorillaz. This is "Phoner to Arizona," from their latest album "The Fall."

8. Solid. :P I liked the guitars, but her not really her voice. :) Tennessee? :uhoh:

No, South Carolina. Nice try, though. :tongue: It's by Tennis, and husband-and-wife duo. They released their debut album last January, so they're still rather new.

9. Nice one. :wacky: I loved the part when the violins came in. :wacko: By this point I realized that every song on this mixtape has probably to do something with a certain US state/city. This one's about Massachusetts then. If this is true, then I must say that this is a really well-organised mixtape! :clap:

Yep, "Massachusetts." It's by Ra Ra Riot. I'm really glad you like the theme. :D

10. Quite experimental again. :wacky: I looooved this one. It's simple but effective. :D Who is it?

It's Youth Lagoon, an electronic artist from the US. He too debuted last year. The song is called "Montana."

11. I know this one. It's Bloodbuzz Ohio by The National. His voice is special. It's one of my favourite songs by them. :wacky: So yeah, this one must represent Ohio then.

Yes, yes, and yes. I love The National so much, and I'm glad you like them, too. :dazzled:

12. Youthful, full of energy song. Loved it. I'd really like to hear more from this artist. :wacky: Which state?

Texas, the state that I call home. :dazzled: The song is called "Texas Tea," and it's from Young the Giant. This song was released on their first EP, back when they were known as The Jakes.

13. I like this one. Somehow reminded me of The Antlers. I think I already heard his voice somewhere before. :) This one stands for Wisconsin.

I can see why you think that, and it's a very good guess. This is "Wisconsin" by Bon Iver.

14. This is Adam Young's voice 100% but I've never heard this song before. It's about Alaska. Loved it's simplicity. Brilliant end for a mixtape: "But somehow I believe that this is home / it's so good to be home."

It's from his Sky Sailing album, which consists of stuff that he recorded before he was known as Owl City. Also, as you guessed, it's called "Alaska." I ended with this song intentionally for the very reason you stated. It's probably my favorite on that album, and I couldn't not end with it. I'm so glad you agree. :smiley:

Overall:

Brilliant mixtape. Tracks work with each other and I love how every track represents one of the US states. I'm definetely going to look for more songs by some of the artists. Looking forward to the tracklisting. Thank you for a brilliant mixtape! :clap:

Thank YOU for listening to it and giving me positive feedback. I couldn't be more thrilled with your reaction.

So, just to wrap things up, here's the track listing again:

1. "Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois"-Sufjan Stevens (Illinoise, 2005)

2. "Hawaiian Air"-Friendly Fires (Pala, 2011)

3. "Piazza, New York Catcher"-Belle and Sebastian (Dear Catastrophe Waitress, 2003)

4. "A City in Florida"-deadmau5 (4x4=12, 2010)

5. "California English"-Vampire Weekend (Contra, 2010)

6. "Colorado"-Grizzly Bear (Yellow House, 2006)

7. "Phoner to Arizona"-Gorillaz (The Fall, 2010/2011 (depending on whether you got the digital or physical release))

8. "South Carolina"-Tennis (Cape Dory, 2011)

9. "Massachusetts"-Ra Ra Riot (The Orchard, 2010)

10. "Montana"-Youth Lagoon (The Year of Hibernation, 2011)

11. "Bloodbuzz Ohio"-The National (High Violet, 2010)

12. "Texas Tea"-Young the Giant (Shake My Hand EP, 2009)

13. "Wisconsin"-Bon Iver (For Emma, Forever Ago, 2008...it's a bonus track)

14. "Alaska"-Sky Sailing (An Airplane Carried Me to Bed, 2010)

Thank you again! I'm glad you enjoyed the mix I made you. :nice:

Also, while I'm thinking about it...

To my mixtape maker: We had a storm here the other day, and it blew out my Internet for three days. It just got fixed earlier today (about two hours ago, actually), and I haven't had a chance to download your tape, much less listen to it. I'm so sorry. Sometimes, stuff happens. I will download and listen to it ASAP. Please be patient with me, and I'm sorry again for the inconvenience. :hug:

Will I be the first review? :cheesy:

I think sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

So HEY. Ready set GO.

Hey Djibou,I made your mixtape :)

fist of all; wow! I can't believe I missed your post, I actually saw it, but somehow didn't read the username or something :S

Second: I should maybe have said this before, but I love having a very mixed mixtape, with differen't genres and such.

Anywho

1. Smooth song. I like it a lot' date=' very nice way to start the mixtape :') I just really feel like chilling to it. It has this british influence in the chorus, it's nice.[/quote']

This is "Cold Feet" by Liam Finn, from his 2011 album "FOMO"(Abbreviation for "Fear of Missing Out") I absolutely love it :heart: Highly recommended

BTW he's actually from New Zealand, and is the son of Crowded House singer Neil Finn.

2. That reminded me of James Blunt a little bit. I like. A little cheesy' date=' but I still enjoy it :wacky:[/quote']

"Sewn" by The Feeling, I loved this song from the very first chord :heart: Glad you liked it :)

3. :bigcry: :bigcry: This song :bigcry: I love it. Run by Snow Patrol' date=' a breakthrough classic, making my heart weep. [/quote']

You got it right, such a lovely song :)

4. This one is alright. The chorus is a little annoying' date=' and it reminds me of Plain White T's when it comes to the little guitar riff, and the voice reminds me of these punk/emocore bands (except that's actually a very calm song). It's alright, I don't hate it, but it's not my favourite.[/quote']

"Olive You" by Dave Days, a youtube sensation ;)

5. I'm sorry. I can't. I mean' date=' I have nothing against rap, but it's really not my style of music (I know mixtapes are to make people listen to music they don't usually listen to, but this one song didn't open my eyes to the beauty of rap :/).[/quote']

I had a feeling you would feel that way about rap, but it was worth a shot :P

6. Oooooo reggae' date=' man. I lost count of many times he says 'man'. Me gusta. Wouldn't lsiten to it all day everyday, but if I need to chill outside, in thesummer with a fruity drink, that'S actually nice music to listen to :wacky:[/quote']

Stumbled upon this little gem by accident on the internet, of course the title is "Hey Man" the artist is Natty

7. This song is really hip-hop/pop' date=' not really my kind of music. But somehow this one doesn't bother me? It's actually really nice. I think I recognized Lupe Fiasco in there with some other artist and I actually enjoy this rapper. The chorus is quite catchy, I'd say.[/quote']

It is Lupe Fiasco, but he is only a guest "singer" on this track, it is a song by Patrick Stump the lead singer of Fall Out Boy(not too high on them, but I like this song).

8. Saliva. Okay' date=' well I used to be a metalhead, and I still listen to metal often, but this hard rock kind of music really isn't my style, sorry, but I still like it better than track 5 :)[/quote']

Can't win 'em all :)

9. I really like this one. The bass is very nice and the way it drives the song is catchy. And then the part that goes 'girl you seem so nice' date=' but I'll be gone by morning time' is lovely. Nice one. [/quote']

"Better To Be" by Liam Finn of his "old" album I'll Be Lightning.

10. Ohhh my god. Heard that song so often on the radio. It's B.O.B.' date=' isn't it? Don't let me faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall. I think that because I've heard it so much on the radio before, I got used to it and I don't dislike it, but otherwise I wouldn't really listen to it.[/quote']

Yep, B.o.B - "Don't Let Me Fall" It's technically a rap song, but his singing isn't so bad is it? :)

So overall, the mixtape was nice, there were just a few songs that didn't catch my ear, but the rest was great. Thank you, mixtape partner :D Can't wait to see the tracklisting.

Favourite tracks: 1, 2, 3, 9.

Very happy you liked it :)

Tracklist is right here:

Track 1: Cold Feet - Liam Finn

Track 2: Sewn - The Feeling

Track 3: Run - Snow Patrol

Track 4: Olive You - Dave Days

Track 5: In Her Music Box - Atmosphere

Track 6: Hey Man - Natty

Track 7: This City - Patrick Stump feat. Lupe Fiasco

Track 8: Ladies and Gentlemen - Saliva

Track 9: Better To Be - Liam Finn

Track 10: Don't Let Me Fall - B.o.B

DL: http://www.mediafire.com/?bwdyq1ni4hjadu6

Hey Djibou,I made your mixtape :)

fist of all; wow! I can't believe I missed your post, I actually saw it, but somehow didn't read the username or something :S

Second: I should maybe have said this before, but I love having a very mixed mixtape, with differen't genres and such.

Anywho

Very happy you liked it :)

Tracklist is right here:

Track 1: Cold Feet - Liam Finn

Track 2: Sewn - The Feeling

Track 3: Run - Snow Patrol

Track 4: Olive You - Dave Days

Track 5: In Her Music Box - Atmosphere

Track 6: Hey Man - Natty

Track 7: This City - Patrick Stump feat. Lupe Fiasco

Track 8: Ladies and Gentlemen - Saliva

Track 9: Better To Be - Liam Finn

Track 10: Don't Let Me Fall - B.o.B

DL: http://www.mediafire.com/?bwdyq1ni4hjadu6

Hello! :D Thank you for the great mixtape, I had nooooooooooooooooo idea Patrick Stump had this kind of career, I think that was the most surprising part for me out of this mixtape and I actually heard of Dave Days before, I guess I just never cared to listen to him before.

Thank you for everything :cheesy:

OK then. Here's the review.

First, my album was called "Sonic Sounds." I like that. The album art consisted of a man with a disco ball head. I could only hope my mixtape wasn't filled with disco music. Thankfully, it wasn't.

Track 1: It starts with this calm singing, which is almost chant-like. "Are we bursting from the seams? All things yearning for the push..." I like the lyrical content of this song. The vocals are very clean, which is something I tend to like. The flute diddly bits within the song are really cute. :blush: The bells help add on to that as well. The song utilizes a pentatonic scale as the basis. Props to this band. It ends in a breakdown, which is a tad slower and puts more emphasis on the drums. This is a solid opening track.

Track 2: I LOVE THIS SONG. :dazzled: This is "Fall Creek Boys Choir," James Blake's collab with Bon Iver. That whole EP is just ace. You have no idea how much I love you right now. No, really, you don't. James Blake...I just...GUH. :dazzled: Thank you so stinkin' much.

Track 3: It took me a second, for some reason, to recognize what this was, but I know the song. It's "Rich Kids Blues" by Lykke Li. I don't know why I don't listen to her more. She's good. I should probably get on that. Thanks for reminding me.

Track 4: This song reminds me a lot of Four Tet. Actually, I went and checked in my library to see if it was, but it wasn't. I don't know why it reminds me of him specifically, seeing as there are a lot of electronic artists, but it does. Anyway, I really like it. It has some very nice layering of sounds. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Good job. :nice:

Track 5: "Sha la la la." Uhhhhh. Mkay. This was slightly more...popish? I'm not sure if that's the right word, but I can't think of a better one. The vocals sound British and remind me just a little bit of Ricky Wilson from Kaiser Chiefs. Actually, the vocals were frustrating for me; his thick accent made it hard for me to understand what he was singing. I think I pulled a part that said, "Still can't say she won't stutter," but I don't feel totally confident in saying that's what it was. Also, that one part with the "Hungry for strength, hungry for love" bit kinda annoyed me after having it repeated a few times. It's not a bad song, but it just didn't grab my attention all that much-at least, not in a good way.

Track 6: This song. Ehhh. It has female vocals and synths. It reminds me of the '80s, which I'm not really too keen on. It has sultry, lusty lyrics. She's trying to "get him to go." ;D :| "You gotta pay if you want some." So the woman's a prostitute. Gotcha. It makes so much more sense now. I'm not a huge fan of the song at all, but I've heard worse.

Track 7: DUUUDE. These New Puritans! :dazzled: I thought I was the only person still here who listened to them. (The only other two people I know for sure who do are Bernard and Bryce, both of whom have since left. :bigcry:) Huge props to you, whoever you are. "White Chords" is a respectable choice. :nice:

Track 8: Interlude time. It's "Fugue" by Foals. I started listening to them rather recently. It segues after the previous track rather nicely. :D

Track 9: I felt like this song had a genre identity crisis. It started out with this country/folk vibe (The twang reminded me of country, but there wasn't enough twang for me to really consider it as such. If that makes sense.), but then it later gained this rock feel with the inclusion of electric guitars. It kinda reminded me of a subpar Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It probably would've sounded better if it had vocals in it, but alas, it was an instrumental. I ended up getting a bit bored with it. It's not that it's really bad, but there wasn't a lot of depth, and it felt a bit disconneted to me due to the genre thing. I understand if you're going to have multiple genres as influences, but this didn't mesh very well, in my opinion.

Track 10: I like this one a lot. The voices sound familiar to me, for some reason. I'm going to be really mad if it turns out to be someone I know. I looked, though, and it doesn't seem like it is. The song reminded me of Kings of Convenience with a psychedelic flavor to it. Actually, I got that psychedelic vibe throughout the song, and I liked it. The vocal harmonies are also very nice. "It's not the life lesson I'd have guessed. If you are conscious, you must be depressed...or at least cynical." This line somehow got my attention. Overall, I enjoyed the song. :D

Track 11: This is another electronic track. It makes me think of Pogo. I don't think it's him, though. As far as I can tell, there's a '70s vibe. The melody sounds like it could be a theme song to a game show during that time. I like that. I feel like I need to ask: Is this a remix? After thinking about it, it kinda reminds me of one, and even though I usually detest remixes, if this were one, it'd be awesome. :wacky:

Track 12: Bloc Party! :awesome: Very nice. It's "Better in Heaven." Thank you for choosing Bloc Party and not some of Kele's solo work. :lol: Also, props to you for choosing a song from "Intimacy." It tends to be an album that some Bloc Party fans really don't like. I do, though. Actually, my favorite Bloc Party song ("Zephyrus") is on it.

Track 13: It starts out with guitar. I don't like the effects placed on them. The guitar riff is basically played over and over again, and although there's some stuff (e.g. drums) added in later, the guitar powers over everything else, and given the repetitive nature of them, it kinda got on my nerves. I initially got excited when I heard there were finally going to be vocals, but when they got to where I could actually hear them, I wish I wouldn't have heard them. They weren't too great. It sounds like I really hate this song based on how I'm talking about it, but I don't. I'm just kinda annoyed that this was the last track of the mixtape. To be honest, it was a bit of a buzzkill. Sorry. :disappointed:

Overall, I find this mix to be a solid one. There were a few tracks that I knew, but that's OK, because they're tracks that I like, and they exhibit your nice taste in music. :nice: While there were a few things that didn't resonate well with me, there wasn't a song that I absolutely hated and couldn't listen to all the way through, which is a very good thing indeed. Thank you so much for making this for me! :hug:

:curtain:

Hi there. I made your tape. :cheesy: I put a theme on it because I hadn't really tried it before, and I wanted to see what direction I could take with it. After some thought and searching through my iTunes, I came up with the US state theme. (I'm glad you caught on, BTW.) I'll leave my comments in blue within your quoted post.

So, just to wrap things up, here's the track listing again:

1. "Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois"-Sufjan Stevens (Illinoise, 2005)

2. "Hawaiian Air"-Friendly Fires (Pala, 2011)

3. "Piazza, New York Catcher"-Belle and Sebastian (Dear Catastrophe Waitress, 2003)

4. "A City in Florida"-deadmau5 (4x4=12, 2010)

5. "California English"-Vampire Weekend (Contra, 2010)

6. "Colorado"-Grizzly Bear (Yellow House, 2006)

7. "Phoner to Arizona"-Gorillaz (The Fall, 2010/2011 (depending on whether you got the digital or physical release))

8. "South Carolina"-Tennis (Cape Dory, 2011)

9. "Massachusetts"-Ra Ra Riot (The Orchard, 2010)

10. "Montana"-Youth Lagoon (The Year of Hibernation, 2011)

11. "Bloodbuzz Ohio"-The National (High Violet, 2010)

12. "Texas Tea"-Young the Giant (Shake My Hand EP, 2009)

13. "Wisconsin"-Bon Iver (For Emma, Forever Ago, 2008...it's a bonus track)

14. "Alaska"-Sky Sailing (An Airplane Carried Me to Bed, 2010)

Thank you again! I'm glad you enjoyed the mix I made you. :nice:

Also, while I'm thinking about it...

To my mixtape maker: We had a storm here the other day, and it blew out my Internet for three days. It just got fixed earlier today (about two hours ago, actually), and I haven't had a chance to download your tape, much less listen to it. I'm so sorry. Sometimes, stuff happens. I will download and listen to it ASAP. Please be patient with me, and I'm sorry again for the inconvenience. :hug:

Thanks again for your mixtape! :)

Ooh that was Vampire Weekend? :surprised:

And just so you know, I downloaded the Illinoise album and I love it :blush:

My mixtape review! :dance:

Track 1

The beginning of this track sounds like the soundtrack from some Quentin Tarantino western film or something. It features trumpets, a very lazily played piano, accordion, slow drums, rattles and some background humming I can’t quite decipher. At the 2 minute mark comes a male voice, that kinda reminds me of Beirut. Oh and I totally love this song, as I said before, it would perfectly fit into a western movie, or drama or something, whatever. But I’m excited to know what the song name is! And the mixtape maker knows how to find a perfect intro song for a mixtape.

Track 2

Ahhh this song is great! Partey moooood! :dance: I love the beat, and the xylophone, and the bass, and EVERYTHING. Oh and the voice, mmmhhmm wonderful. *Bobs head to the beat*

I’ve had this song on my mp3player for the last few days and listened to it the whole time while driving to university. The chorus is lovely as well, “Baby bay can’t you seeeee”

Track 3

The song starts with guitars, and then goes crazy at the 20 seconds mark, with voices, electronic elements all that awesome stuff awesome songs are made off. The voice is as colourful and strong as in track 2. And oh this beat is delicious. I think I’ve heard this song before, though I can’t remember where, but I’m kinda familiar with the chorus.

The song almost reminds me of Apparatjik with all the different voices :surprised:… not that this is a bad thing! :D A very powerful and inspiring song, I like! And the singing voices fit perfectly!

Track 4

The song starts with an old and very metallic sounding piano and interesting background noises. The singers voice is soothing and calm, and it creates an interesting atmosphere. The the song switches to a more modern mood with drums kicking in and other instruments. Although it switches all the time between these two parts, and it makes the song very dynamic. It’s a very nice break from the 2 powerful songs that I’ve listened to before.

Track 5

Lots of different instruments and a rather dark melody, still the song reminds me of the previous one (in terms of the structure)and as soon as the chorus kicks in I believe I’ve heard this song before as well. It has a slow pace and dark mood and is perfect for rainy days I think :P

Track 6

Starts with a strong bass, and then a single male voice starts singing. After about 30 seconds a it switches to a female voice and guitars, trumpets and other instruments start playing. The song plays at a rather slow pace and it doesn’t change throughout the whole song. To be honest I find it a tiny little bit boring, but still, it’s not bad at all and still be saved on my hard drive afterwards :D

Track 7

A very nice instrumental of guitars and other instruments I can’t name. But it sounds really beautiful, almost a little bit medieval, I imagine it could perfectly fit into a movie scene where someone is travelling :surprised: Such a shame it’s so short…

Track 8

Bright male voice and awesome guitars, very powerful and inspiring song again, and the strong instruments really accompany the singers voice. Great!

Track 9

Mellow guitars and a pinao (?) in the beginning, but soon there kicks in a strong and brisk drum part, that leads up to an unexpected female voice! But surprisingly it fits together quite wonderfully. Still I was kind of hoping for a big climax at the end of the song, but there was none, oh well.

Track 10

A French song! :cheesy: That makes it even more interesting! There’s a strong male voice, guitars that sound U2-ish (which is totally amazing) and a very strong bass. The whole song actually sounds like U2 in French :lol: I hope I’m not insulting anybody by saying this :uhoh:

Track 11

Fast-paced drums, a loud male voice, a piano, and a sharp electric guitar in the background. And a great climax at the end of the song. This song is perfect for days where you just need music to get yourself going! I like this!

Track 12

Argh only 2 more songs left! This one starts with synth sounds and a very high male voice. Very dreamy. Later on a very nice drum part adds itself to the song, and makes it even more amazing. I really want to know the artist of this song, it’s rather beautiful.

Track 13

Crazy electronic noises! Sounds like an electronic peacock :lol: The whole song is very electronic and uplifting, I like this on as well, and the beat is nice, too! Surprisingly, the noise-craziness fits perfectly to the song.

Track 14

Last track :bigcry:

A piano plays a rather sad melody, accompanied by a male singer singing sad lyrics (as far as I understand with my crappy English vocabulary) “You can’t have it all” comes in the chorus, then loud guitars and bass and drums start to play and at the end of the song everything adds up to an epic ending and the mixtape is over :bigcry:

This is, to be honest, the best mixtape I had so far, it’s so perfect it’s creepy! There’s only one song that I don’t like that much, but the rest is really, really well chosen. It’s like a second Me went out into the music world and gathered all the songs I like so much, it’s absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for this wonderful mixtape! It was a pleasure to listen to!

Mixtape maker WHO ARE YOU!? :cheesy:

Hi Violet :)

Well, I was your mixtape maker too! :D

It was really a risky business to make a mixtape for you :P I knew some of these songs you already knew but I couldn't resist not putting them on it. And for some other songs, I wanted to know your opinion on them :)

My comments are within your quoted post:

OK then. Here's the review.

First, my album was called "Sonic Sounds." I like that. The album art consisted of a man with a disco ball head. I could only hope my mixtape wasn't filled with disco music. Thankfully, it wasn't.

Track 1: It starts with this calm singing, which is almost chant-like. "Are we bursting from the seams? All things yearning for the push..." I like the lyrical content of this song. The vocals are very clean, which is something I tend to like. The flute diddly bits within the song are really cute. :blush: The bells help add on to that as well. The song utilizes a pentatonic scale as the basis. Props to this band. It ends in a breakdown, which is a tad slower and puts more emphasis on the drums. This is a solid opening track.

I really like this one too :) But it's not a band actually :P It's an electronic music artist Son Lux. He's not really known a lot in the world so I kinda wanted to introduce his music to this board :)

Track 2: I LOVE THIS SONG. :dazzled: This is "Fall Creek Boys Choir," James Blake's collab with Bon Iver. That whole EP is just ace. You have no idea how much I love you right now. No, really, you don't. James Blake...I just...GUH. :dazzled: Thank you so stinkin' much.

Haha, I loooove this track too! :D Actually I knew you were going to know it, but like I said, I couldn't resist not putting it.

Track 3: It took me a second, for some reason, to recognize what this was, but I know the song. It's "Rich Kids Blues" by Lykke Li. I don't know why I don't listen to her more. She's good. I should probably get on that. Thanks for reminding me.

Yep you're right. :) Well I should listen to her more too. :P

Track 4: This song reminds me a lot of Four Tet. Actually, I went and checked in my library to see if it was, but it wasn't. I don't know why it reminds me of him specifically, seeing as there are a lot of electronic artists, but it does. Anyway, I really like it. It has some very nice layering of sounds. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Good job. :nice:

Good guess :lol: Believe it or not, it actually is Four Tet's remix of Jon Hopkin's Vessel.

Track 5: "Sha la la la." Uhhhhh. Mkay. This was slightly more...popish? I'm not sure if that's the right word, but I can't think of a better one. The vocals sound British and remind me just a little bit of Ricky Wilson from Kaiser Chiefs. Actually, the vocals were frustrating for me; his thick accent made it hard for me to understand what he was singing. I think I pulled a part that said, "Still can't say she won't stutter," but I don't feel totally confident in saying that's what it was. Also, that one part with the "Hungry for strength, hungry for love" bit kinda annoyed me after having it repeated a few times. It's not a bad song, but it just didn't grab my attention all that much-at least, not in a good way.

It's Crystal Castles. My friend introduced me to them and I think that they are pretty hard to listen to for the first time, but they totally grew on me. He said that he loves that trash sound in the art-techno music, and I completely agree with him now. :wacky: They're from Toronto actually. :P

Track 6: This song. Ehhh. It has female vocals and synths. It reminds me of the '80s, which I'm not really too keen on. It has sultry, lusty lyrics. She's trying to "get him to go." ;D :| "You gotta pay if you want some." So the woman's a prostitute. Gotcha. It makes so much more sense now. I'm not a huge fan of the song at all, but I've heard worse.

:lol: I'm not a fan of the song too. Actually I found it out just before making my mixtape and thought it would be interesting to hear what will you say about it. And I completely agree with you. :nod:

Track 7: DUUUDE. These New Puritans! :dazzled: I thought I was the only person still here who listened to them. (The only other two people I know for sure who do are Bernard and Bryce, both of whom have since left. :bigcry:) Huge props to you, whoever you are. "White Chords" is a respectable choice. :nice:

Yeah, I love them! :D

I wanted to put Hologram first, but then I found out that it has a good number of plays on your last.fm, so I put White Chords instead. Yeah, I had to put something from them too. :wacky:

Track 8: Interlude time. It's "Fugue" by Foals. I started listening to them rather recently. It segues after the previous track rather nicely. :D

You're right, this is an interlude. Well I've chosen this song cause it, as you said, segues nice after the previous track. But it also has that melancholic piano so I thought it would be a good interlude to the next track.

Track 9: I felt like this song had a genre identity crisis. It started out with this country/folk vibe (The twang reminded me of country, but there wasn't enough twang for me to really consider it as such. If that makes sense.), but then it later gained this rock feel with the inclusion of electric guitars. It kinda reminded me of a subpar Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It probably would've sounded better if it had vocals in it, but alas, it was an instrumental. I ended up getting a bit bored with it. It's not that it's really bad, but there wasn't a lot of depth, and it felt a bit disconneted to me due to the genre thing. I understand if you're going to have multiple genres as influences, but this didn't mesh very well, in my opinion.

I insisted to put this one, cause I love it. :wacky: But as you said it was hard to put it anywhere in this mixtape... I tried to make that genre transition slightly less noticeable so I put that interlude before it. This one's The Price of Freedom by Takeharu Ishimoto, a Japanish composer. This track was included on the soundtrack for the video game, Final Fantasy 7.

Track 10: I like this one a lot. The voices sound familiar to me, for some reason. I'm going to be really mad if it turns out to be someone I know. I looked, though, and it doesn't seem like it is. The song reminded me of Kings of Convenience with a psychedelic flavor to it. Actually, I got that psychedelic vibe throughout the song, and I liked it. The vocal harmonies are also very nice. "It's not the life lesson I'd have guessed. If you are conscious, you must be depressed...or at least cynical." This line somehow got my attention. Overall, I enjoyed the song. :D

You probably know them :P It's Siberian Breaks by MGMT. I love that song and how it progresses sooo much. :wacko: But if it turns out that you don't know them, it's really worth checking them out. :)

Track 11: This is another electronic track. It makes me think of Pogo. I don't think it's him, though. As far as I can tell, there's a '70s vibe. The melody sounds like it could be a theme song to a game show during that time. I like that. I feel like I need to ask: Is this a remix? After thinking about it, it kinda reminds me of one, and even though I usually detest remixes, if this were one, it'd be awesome. :wacky:

Nope, it's not Pogo, and it's not a remix. It's again a track by a not-so-well-known artist. This time it's Lunar Landing by Sonar Ghost. And btw, if you like them, you should check their last.fm page where you can download some of their tracks, including this one too. :)

Track 12: Bloc Party! :awesome: Very nice. It's "Better in Heaven." Thank you for choosing Bloc Party and not some of Kele's solo work. :lol: Also, props to you for choosing a song from "Intimacy." It tends to be an album that some Bloc Party fans really don't like. I do, though. Actually, my favorite Bloc Party song ("Zephyrus") is on it.

Yeah, I knew you were probably going to know this one too. :P This is my favourite song by them and also my favourite album by them. :)

Track 13: It starts out with guitar. I don't like the effects placed on them. The guitar riff is basically played over and over again, and although there's some stuff (e.g. drums) added in later, the guitar powers over everything else, and given the repetitive nature of them, it kinda got on my nerves. I initially got excited when I heard there were finally going to be vocals, but when they got to where I could actually hear them, I wish I wouldn't have heard them. They weren't too great. It sounds like I really hate this song based on how I'm talking about it, but I don't. I'm just kinda annoyed that this was the last track of the mixtape. To be honest, it was a bit of a buzzkill. Sorry. :disappointed:

I totally understand your opinion on it. :lol: Guess who it is? Coldplayers' favourite Brian Eno! :lol:

But personally I love this song and I thought it would be a good end to a mixtape. It's also a closer and a title track on his first studio album. Thom Yorke earlier this year mentioned it in an office chart on Death Air Space (I guess you know what I'm talking about). So that's where I heard it for the first time and immediately falled in love with it.

Overall, I find this mix to be a solid one. There were a few tracks that I knew, but that's OK, because they're tracks that I like, and they exhibit your nice taste in music. :nice: While there were a few things that didn't resonate well with me, there wasn't a song that I absolutely hated and couldn't listen to all the way through, which is a very good thing indeed. Thank you so much for making this for me! :hug:

You're welcome. :)

I thought your reaction was going to be even worse! :P We have a pretty similar taste in music, according to last.fm so it was really a challenge for me to make a mixtape for you... That's why I decided to experiment a bit and fill it with music you don't really listen to alongside with music you like. :)

So yeah, thanks for listening and a nice review. :wacky:

Here's the full tracklist:

2wqbtjq.png

And a link to download it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?a6psewb7cqblq6l

Hello there! My name is Marie and I am your mixtape partner and YAY you liked it :D:D:D :dance: I was so scared of what you'd think of it, since I had no grounds to base myself on (you don't have a last.fm and I don't think I've seen you post much in the WoM :/). BUT YAY :cheesy:

My mixtape review! :dance:

Track 1

The beginning of this track sounds like the soundtrack from some Quentin Tarantino western film or something. It features trumpets, a very lazily played piano, accordion, slow drums, rattles and some background humming I can’t quite decipher. At the 2 minute mark comes a male voice, that kinda reminds me of Beirut. Oh and I totally love this song, as I said before, it would perfectly fit into a western movie, or drama or something, whatever. But I’m excited to know what the song name is! And the mixtape maker knows how to find a perfect intro song for a mixtape.

Ooooo good guess, it is Beirut, indeed! It's called Gulag Orkestar, taken from his album of the same name :D

Track 2

Ahhh this song is great! Partey moooood! :dance: I love the beat, and the xylophone, and the bass, and EVERYTHING. Oh and the voice, mmmhhmm wonderful. *Bobs head to the beat*

I’ve had this song on my mp3player for the last few days and listened to it the whole time while driving to university. The chorus is lovely as well, “Baby bay can’t you seeeee”

:dance: Love that song. It's called Blink And You'll Miss a Revolution, by Cut Copy. :D

Track 3

The song starts with guitars, and then goes crazy at the 20 seconds mark, with voices, electronic elements all that awesome stuff awesome songs are made off. The voice is as colourful and strong as in track 2. And oh this beat is delicious. I think I’ve heard this song before, though I can’t remember where, but I’m kinda familiar with the chorus.

The song almost reminds me of Apparatjik with all the different voices :surprised:… not that this is a bad thing! :D A very powerful and inspiring song, I like! And the singing voices fit perfectly!

Well, I heard the song thanks to itunes canada and their free songs a week, but I was surprised to find that it was in the new iPod Touch commercial (it's ironic, cause I saw it on tv a week after I bought my own ipod touch hehe). It is called Tongue Tied by Grouplove.

Track 4

The song starts with an old and very metallic sounding piano and interesting background noises. The singers voice is soothing and calm, and it creates an interesting atmosphere. The the song switches to a more modern mood with drums kicking in and other instruments. Although it switches all the time between these two parts, and it makes the song very dynamic. It’s a very nice break from the 2 powerful songs that I’ve listened to before.

Loosen Your Hold by South, quite the dreamy song, I must say.

Track 5

Lots of different instruments and a rather dark melody, still the song reminds me of the previous one (in terms of the structure)and as soon as the chorus kicks in I believe I’ve heard this song before as well. It has a slow pace and dark mood and is perfect for rainy days I think :P

The Antlers - No Widows :bigcry: This band is one of my best discoveries of 2011 and one of the best concerts I've attended :bigcry: so sad :bigcry:

Track 6

Starts with a strong bass, and then a single male voice starts singing. After about 30 seconds a it switches to a female voice and guitars, trumpets and other instruments start playing. The song plays at a rather slow pace and it doesn’t change throughout the whole song. To be honest I find it a tiny little bit boring, but still, it’s not bad at all and still be saved on my hard drive afterwards :D

Ahh it's a collaboration between The National and St. Vincent, you might have heard of them before. It's quite the mellow song, for sad moments haha.

Track 7

A very nice instrumental of guitars and other instruments I can’t name. But it sounds really beautiful, almost a little bit medieval, I imagine it could perfectly fit into a movie scene where someone is travelling :surprised: Such a shame it’s so short…

The Cascades by Fleet Foxes off their latest album :D

Track 8

Bright male voice and awesome guitars, very powerful and inspiring song again, and the strong instruments really accompany the singers voice. Great!

Home by Thirteen Senses, love that band, I think they are very underrated. :heart:

Track 9

Mellow guitars and a pinao (?) in the beginning, but soon there kicks in a strong and brisk drum part, that leads up to an unexpected female voice! But surprisingly it fits together quite wonderfully. Still I was kind of hoping for a big climax at the end of the song, but there was none, oh well.

Yes that is a piano :D I was scared of what you'D think of her vocal performance, let's just say it'S not for every. I'm glad you liked it, it is called Hurt Me by The Jezabels.

Track 10

A French song! :cheesy: That makes it even more interesting! There’s a strong male voice, guitars that sound U2-ish (which is totally amazing) and a very strong bass. The whole song actually sounds like U2 in French :lol: I hope I’m not insulting anybody by saying this :uhoh:

Hehe, I took a chance there, and I think you might be right, the guitars kinda remind me of The Edge's way of playing. The artist is Adam Cohen, son of the great Leonard Cohen!

Track 11

Fast-paced drums, a loud male voice, a piano, and a sharp electric guitar in the background. And a great climax at the end of the song. This song is perfect for days where you just need music to get yourself going! I like this!

My love, Frank Turner :dazzled: Might be my favourite song of 2011, his last album is wonderful.

Track 12

Argh only 2 more songs left! This one starts with synth sounds and a very high male voice. Very dreamy. Later on a very nice drum part adds itself to the song, and makes it even more amazing. I really want to know the artist of this song, it’s rather beautiful.

Bon Iver, with their first single of their second album, Calgary. Frankly, I think they might be my second favourite band after Coldplay. You really should look into them a lot more, they're fantastic.

Track 13

Crazy electronic noises! Sounds like an electronic peacock :lol: The whole song is very electronic and uplifting, I like this on as well, and the beat is nice, too! Surprisingly, the noise-craziness fits perfectly to the song.

M83 with their successful single Midnight City! That song has had a lot of praise, some music magazine even called it single of the year!

Track 14

Last track :bigcry:

A piano plays a rather sad melody, accompanied by a male singer singing sad lyrics (as far as I understand with my crappy English vocabulary) “You can’t have it all” comes in the chorus, then loud guitars and bass and drums start to play and at the end of the song everything adds up to an epic ending and the mixtape is over :bigcry:

Ah I love that you liked this one, it is from a band who is now split, called Morning Runner. It is pretty strong and sad, I must say, almost desperate. :bigcry:

This is, to be honest, the best mixtape I had so far, it’s so perfect it’s creepy! There’s only one song that I don’t like that much, but the rest is really, really well chosen. It’s like a second Me went out into the music world and gathered all the songs I like so much, it’s absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for this wonderful mixtape! It was a pleasure to listen to!

Mixtape maker WHO ARE YOU!? :cheesy:

God that makes me sooo happy :blush::cheesy: I really am glad that you liked it so much and if I had known that you would like it like this, I'd have put more songs on it hehe. :wacky:

Thank you for the great review :cheesy: :hug:

Tracklisting:

1. Gulag Orkestar - Beirut | Gulag Orkestar

2. Blink And You'll Miss a Revolution - Cut Copy | Zonoscope

3. Tongue Tied- Grouplove | Never Trust A Happy Song

4. Loosen Your Hold - South | With The Tides

5. No Widows - The Antlers | Burst Apart

6. Sleep All Summer (Crooked Fingers Cover) - St. Vincent & The National | Score! 20 Years of Merge Records: The Covers!

7. The Cascades - Fleet Foxes | Helplessness Blues

8. Home - Thirteen Senses | Crystal Sounds

9. Hurt Me - The Jezabels | She's So Hard EP

10. Hey Jane - Adam Cohen - Melancolista

11. I Am Disappeared - Frank Turner | England Keep My Bones

12. Calgary - Bon Iver | Bon Iver, Bon Iver

13. Midnight City - M83 | Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

14. Burning Benches - Morning Runner | Wilderness is Paradise Now

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?u6kwefuo61qx7ut

Thanks again for your mixtape! :)

Ooh that was Vampire Weekend? :surprised:

And just so you know, I downloaded the Illinoise album and I love it :blush:

You're very welcome. :nice: I'm so happy you like Sufjan! :cheesy:

Hi Violet :)

Well, I was your mixtape maker too! :D

It was really a risky business to make a mixtape for you :P I knew some of these songs you already knew but I couldn't resist not putting them on it. And for some other songs, I wanted to know your opinion on them :)

[/color]

You're welcome. :)

I thought your reaction was going to be even worse! :P We have a pretty similar taste in music, according to last.fm so it was really a challenge for me to make a mixtape for you... That's why I decided to experiment a bit and fill it with music you don't really listen to alongside with music you like. :)

So yeah, thanks for listening and a nice review. :wacky:

Here's the full tracklist:

2wqbtjq.png

And a link to download it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?a6psewb7cqblq6l

For some reason, I had a feeling you might have made my tape. I wasn't sure, though. It's nice to have just made tapes for each other. :blush:

Anyway, a few comments:

1. I think I'll definitely look more into Son Lux and Sonar Ghost. Especially Sonar Ghost.

2. OMG. It WAS Four Tet? DAMN. :laugh4: It's weird, too, because I love Jon Hopkins, and "Vessel" didn't come to mind at all as I was listening to it. I guess you showed me how good remixes can be. Thanks. :hug:

3. Now seeing that it's Crystal Castles, that makes sense. I'm not really a fan of noise pop in general. I applaud your effort, though.

4. Wow. I'm really surprised that was MGMT. I've heard a few of their songs and didn't like them. Hearing something of theirs that I do like changes things. I think I'll have to give them another chance.

5. LOL, Brian Eno. I'm not laughing at him; I just find it funny that it was his music. I imagined it to sound different than it does.

Thanks so much again for making the tape! :hug:

Tracklisting:

1. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar | Gulag Orkestar

2. Cut Copy - Blink And You'll Miss a Revolution | Zonoscope

3. Grouplove - Tongue Tied | Never Trust A Happy Song

6. Sleep All Summer (Crooked Fingers Cover) - St. Vincent & The National | Score! 20 Years of Merge Records: The Covers!

No wonder she likes it. That's a kickass tape, Marie. :wacky:

Hello there! My name is Marie and I am your mixtape partner and YAY you liked it :D:D:D :dance: I was so scared of what you'd think of it, since I had no grounds to base myself on (you don't have a last.fm and I don't think I've seen you post much in the WoM :/). BUT YAY :cheesy:

Ooooo good guess, it is Beirut, indeed! It's called Gulag Orkestar, taken from his album of the same name :D

:dance: Love that song. It's called Blink And You'll Miss a Revolution, by Cut Copy. :D

Well, I heard the song thanks to itunes canada and their free songs a week, but I was surprised to find that it was in the new iPod Touch commercial (it's ironic, cause I saw it on tv a week after I bought my own ipod touch hehe). It is called Tongue Tied by Grouplove.

Loosen Your Hold by South, quite the dreamy song, I must say.

The Antlers - No Widows :bigcry: This band is one of my best discoveries of 2011 and one of the best concerts I've attended :bigcry: so sad :bigcry:

Ahh it's a collaboration between The National and St. Vincent, you might have heard of them before. It's quite the mellow song, for sad moments haha.

The Cascades by Fleet Foxes off their latest album :D

Home by Thirteen Senses, love that band, I think they are very underrated. :heart:

Yes that is a piano :D I was scared of what you'D think of her vocal performance, let's just say it'S not for every. I'm glad you liked it, it is called Hurt Me by The Jezabels.

Hehe, I took a chance there, and I think you might be right, the guitars kinda remind me of The Edge's way of playing. The artist is Adam Cohen, son of the great Leonard Cohen!

My love, Frank Turner :dazzled: Might be my favourite song of 2011, his last album is wonderful.

Bon Iver, with their first single of their second album, Calgary. Frankly, I think they might be my second favourite band after Coldplay. You really should look into them a lot more, they're fantastic.

M83 with their successful single Midnight City! That song has had a lot of praise, some music magazine even called it single of the year!

Ah I love that you liked this one, it is from a band who is now split, called Morning Runner. It is pretty strong and sad, I must say, almost desperate. :bigcry:

God that makes me sooo happy :blush::cheesy: I really am glad that you liked it so much and if I had known that you would like it like this, I'd have put more songs on it hehe. :wacky:

Thank you for the great review :cheesy: :hug:

Tracklisting:

1. Gulag Orkestar - Beirut | Gulag Orkestar

2. Blink And You'll Miss a Revolution - Cut Copy | Zonoscope

3. Tongue Tied- Grouplove | Never Trust A Happy Song

Waaahh hello there! :cheesy: Sorry for not posting any information about what musical taste I have, but I listen to almost everything so that wouldn't make a big difference if I've had written "LOL JUST GIMME SONGS" or something :uhoh:

AND THANKS FOR THE SETLIST!!! :dance: I love your music taste! :wacky: