✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[17-Apr-2012] Coldplay @ Rexall Place, Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jenjie

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAAAAT WARNING SIGN?!?!?! i cant wait to see its video. oh thats great, please coldplay play it in every concert!

That's great! Can't wait to hear Warning Sign live in May 4th! Hope they will keep it on the setlist. And DLIBYH!!! It should sound awesome.

Coldplay light up Rexall to kick off tour

6475523.bin

Frontman Chris Martin of Coldplay in concert at Rexall Place in Edmonton, April 17, 2012.

EDMONTON - At the root, innocence.

With a mix of studied stadium rock moves and innovative use of brightly coloured tech, Coldplay on Tuesday night didn’t make us feel cool or mad or even self-servingly alienated — they made us feel like wide-eyed children.

It started with neon-coloured wristbands handed out at the doorways – all urged by circular hanging trampoline screens to put them on and be part of the show. Chris Martin took about a minute to get into his first “whoa-oh-ohh” as Hurts Like Heaven began the London band’s North American kickoff show; our wrist devices suddenly signalled by radio to turn the coliseum into a giant bowl of flickering Skittles.

Next, for the aptly named In My Place, confetti cannons fire! Now whose mom is supposed to clean that mess up? “I hope you’re as happy to be here as we are,” the cheerful 35-year-old singer said. “Playing Canada is always a f---ing pleasure.

“Tuesday’s normally a s--- night,” Martin joked saucily. The handsome fellows broke in with the one that opened the wormhole for them, and as Martin crooned a muscled-up Yellow, giant balloon balls dropped from the roof. More toys! He finished this one on solo piano, our big crowd accompanying, then one of the band’s absolute best The Scientist rolled out, it too a big fat singalong. “Let’s go back to the start,” Martin sang, which is of course our theme: innocence.

How many hands held, lips kissed, first dances at weddings has this band had a touch of? It’s just uncountable, and directly due to the fact they sincerely serve their audience exactly what they want, the last of the mega-bands never driven to artistic obscurity, 50 millions records later still on the path U2 and Radiohead got too big or weird to walk, mid-tempo rock designed no longer for stereos but laser-lit audiences alone.

In front of their black-light graffiti backdrop, Martin ended Violet Hill with “If you love Wayne Gretzky, won’t you let me know?” The singer stopped God Put a Smile Upon Your Face to burp with an excuse me, a recorded Rihanna looming over the band for Princess of China.

Another guaranteed, Viva La Vida, and Martin held his mic up dancing down the catwalk with a huge grin, rolling in the confetti in the dark. And again the wristbands turn Rexall into a giant bowl of blinking Christmas. I am a cynical human, but this was magic.

The Pierces flicked the first power switch on with their alluring-sinister Love You More. The Alabama-born sister duo sang forlorn harmonies, on Kissing You Goodbye boldly tapping a nostalgic post-psychedelia. Allison Pierce turns her pop music slightly dizzy and uneasy, with a swell touch of evil. Coldplay’s Guy Berryman produced their last record, incidentally. Watch their song Boring online to consider their range; these guys are sublime at times, and did well as the crowd’s 14,500 beetled in slowly.

Next up on stage, twitchy four-piece U.K. electro-poppers Metronomy, who’ve smartly given over to the urge to sing. After a bit of discordant but intentional tunelessness, they pounded out The Bay, drummer Anna Prior glittering in purple with a beat to match the band’s flashing heart-lights. Bass is the backbone of this band, really belonging up close in a sweaty club past midnight, though they gave it their all. “How’s everybody at the top?” singer Joseph Mount asked the cavern before their rainy-day sexy The Look.

For Coldplay, the arena exploded with Paradise (a lone elephant costume standing outside before the show asking for Lucy’s freedom), Jonny Buckland leaning extra into his guitar before we played the encore game.

Playing Us Against the World, yes, from the seats across from the stage under the retired Oilers’ numbers, Martin noted, “You’re cheering at all the right places and you’re forgiving all the mistakes and it makes us feel great so thank you.”

Beautiful moment.

Through us, they ran back to the stage and it’s Clocks, 17 songs in, and we each remember ... old things.

Then, another killer emotional app, Fix You, and again the room is one voice. Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall ends the show. “I turn the music up,” Martin starts it off and all the toys and colours and energy become one warm and friendly thing.

Here they come, North America. Now about that mess ...

link

6475523.bin?size=620x400s

6475525.bin?size=620x400s

6475524.bin?size=620x400s

6475526.bin?size=620x400s

6475528.bin?size=620x400s

I'm not peeking at the setlist. I'm not peeking at the setlist. I'm not peeking at the setlist. BUT since when is Coldplay the Chris Martin show? I did see the photos the newspaper put online and there is one of Jonny and Chris and every single other photo is of Chris alone (with a peek of Will on the big screen). Makes me so mad that the other boys get no photo credit at all :(

I'm not peeking at the setlist. I'm not peeking at the setlist. I'm not peeking at the setlist. BUT since when is Coldplay the Chris Martin show? I did see the photos the newspaper put online and there is one of Jonny and Chris and every single other photo is of Chris alone (with a peek of Will on the big screen). Makes me so mad that the other boys get no photo credit at all :(

I agree. There are actually two of Chris and Jonny, including the one with Will, but yes. Coldplay is a FOUR-PIECE BAND.

Just got back!! And had an amazing time!! Best part was, stranger girl beside me knew all the words to ALL the songs too!!!

Can't remember the setlist exactly, but remember the following at one point or another:

Don't Let It Break Your Heart

Clocks

In My Place

Charlie Brown

Hurts Like Heaven

Violet Hill

Paradise

Viva La Vida

Warning Sign

Major Minus

Up In Flames

Yellow

Princess of China (with Rihanna on screen from what I'm sure is the official video)

Fix You

Us Against the World

Lost

Oh man, I can't remember any of the others, if I missed any! I was in a dancing heaven the whole time, so forgive me :)

The wristbands were AWESOME in person... the roar of the crowd once they figured it out, too cool. I also ran down to the main floor and a nice man let me run in and grab some confetti!! Little did he know, I grabbed handful after handful after handful hahaha!

It was brilliant all in all... to be honest though, I liked the Viva tour a little better than this show, but I have 3 more chances to have my mind changed! I think the best part is how upbeat the songs are on this album, so I had so many chances to dance!

Tomorrow, I am off to the Calgary show! I found the Edmonton crowd a little lame though, there were a LOT of empty seats :( And wouldn't my luck have it, me and my sisters were literally in the last row at the top, and the girls in front of us were picked to go sit closer!! Where, I don't know, but they were gone for the whole show. Damn! But sitting that far away doesn't matter, I was able to absorb everything in its entirety.

There were also some funny looking balloons/blow ups that went up for one of the songs, 4 of them in different parts of the arena. I didn't expect those!

I wish I had some photos to upload right now, but that'll have to wait until I have a few minutes of extra time! I'll try my hardest!

All-in-all, SUCH a great show, Coldplay is entertainment at its finest. My throat hurts from singing and screaming. Can't wait until tomorrow!!

20 songs - come on CP - u have people paying hundreds of dollars for your concerts and the best you can do after 10 yrs in the biz is 20 songs - you have so many songs you could play at least 3 more -

Frankly - A hopeful transmission should lead into DLIBYH, then go into UWTB - it'd be a great finish to the main set, then play your VLV, FIX YOU, and Every Teardrop.

Also, UATW should include the organ/electric guitar intro, as well the organ bridge, those aspects of the song really elevate it to another hair raising/euphoric level.

One more thing - POC needs to be full on synth/studio version (not the acoustic one which was good for the Grammy's but I'm paying to hear and see you guys play the studio version which is a massive song with a great driving bass and drumbeat).

If anything acoustic, U.F.O should be definitely played or incorporated somehow into the setlist, in fact Mylo Xyloto is one of their most complete albums they've ever made, and would be a shame for them not to play most if not all of its songs - they actually should do a concert just for the album in its entirety and sequence with accompanying visuals, props, fx - it'd be one huge rebellious rave party with quiet moments of reflection.

Fucking. Amazing.

Another night to remember as I was at the last concert they had here in 2009. Both amazing shows. I have a video uploading right now, will post when its done.

.....Warning Sign totally caught me offguard, HUGE smile on my face!

Coldplay brings good vibes

1297254156159_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Lead singer Chris Martin of Coldplay performs at Rexall Place in Edmonton on Tuesday, April 17, 2012. Edmonton was the first stop on the band's North American tour.

It’s flattering when a world famous band chooses Edmonton to launch a world tour. Either that or it’s “paid rehearsal” — because if they screw up in Edmonton, who cares?

The Coldplay concert Tuesday night was no place for such negativity. This was a happy, shiny offering of British pop-rock goodness of the highest order. We are blessed. There was little sign this band was ironing out its show for more prestigious gigs in Los Angeles or Prague or wherever.

Sure, singer Chris Martin screwed up the intro to God Put a Smile On My Face, but he glossed over it gracefully and from there was in fine, often ferocious form, spinning himself dizzy at every opportunity. The rest of the show was a slick display of pure Coldplay hit power. The band sounded great — spine-tingling and powerful when required, sensitive when called for (and they called for it a lot) and at times too perfect when you noticed there were lots of sounds coming from the stage with no live musicians creating them — just a little pet peeve of mine about allegedly live rock concerts, but no matter.

The show looked amazing, too. Bonus points were awarded before Coldplay even played a single note, having offered every one of the 14,500 fans at Rexall Place a free — free — electronic glowing wristband, remotely activated to light depending on the songs. Wow. Eat that, gouging glowstick merch-men at Selena Gomez concerts.

The sight of 14,000 glow-bands going off all at once in the brisk opening song Hurts Like Heaven was spectacular. Some fans demurred, perhaps fearing it to be a brain-controlling device: All Hail Coldplay. Too late. Resistance is futile.

As way of introduction, Martin shouted, “Is there anybody out there?!” — thrice, got the expected response (thrice) and led the band into the first of the massive power ballads of the evening, In My Place. Ba-bam! Confetti cannons blanketed everyone in the floor seats with paper snow. A little later, in Yellow — the second of the massive power ballads and the hit that launched the band’s career — 100 giant balloons floated down from the ceiling. All sang along, “I wrote a song for you, and all the things you do, and it was called Yellow.”

Twenty minutes in and the place looked like Cirque du Soleil had exploded.

This was basically a stadium show packed into an arena. Each song was a grand singalong anthem of U2-ian proportions, each ending was a potential show stopper, each musical climax was more dramatic than the last — right down to the impossibly sensitive last encore ballad, Fix You. All sang along, “I will try to fix you.” Not sure that’s a healthy emotion.

Here and there, Martin brought the energy level right down and sat behind his day-glo graffitied piano, as on the delicate not-so-power ballad Scientist and again during a centre stage interlude, but the band shifted back into its feel-good arena-rock anthems with ease. Later came the heavy hitters like Viva La Vida — which almost demands to be heard in an outdoor stadium. Likewise Clocks.

During the encore set, Martin acknowledged Edmonton being the launchpad of the tour, thanking the crowd for “cheering in all the right places and forgiving all the mistakes” — before promptly going off the rails in the Celtic strummer Us Against the World and having to start it over again. How ironic.

Expectations are high when it comes to the world famous band’s opening acts, too. Coldplay did not disappoint here. The Pierces, a band of New York sisters who sound like (young) Stevie Nicks to the power of two, impressed a very sparse crowd — where was everybody, in the parking lot getting lit up? — with its powerhouse neo-folk sound, superb vocals and songs about various kinds of self-destructive behaviour. Deadly combination.

To name the next act is to know them: Metronomy, the British electro-disco band whose crisp metronomic grooves gave a new wave-Brian Eno-Talking Heads-like shape to their unusual songs. Call it “new rave.” So weird, in fact, was this band that its more “conventional” songs — that is, songs that sounded like songs — came off as dull. They were at their best in zany arrangements, some completely instrumental — and some completely, jaw-droppingly off the wall — rich in squeaking, blooping, wheezing vintage synthesizers and chord changes not found in nature. There is no understanding the British. That’s part of why we love them so.

Four out of five Suns

link