[4-Sep-2012] Coldplay @ RheinEnergieStadion, Cologne, Germany

Jenjie

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Translation below of this text:

Coldplay in Köln: Britpop vom Feinsten

Bereits zum dritten Mal innerhalb eines Jahres rockte Coldplay die Domstadt - nach E-Werk und Köln-Arena dieses mal im Stadion. "Wir wollen das beste Konzert in unserem Leben spielen",sagte Frontmann Chris Martin. Ob er sein Versprechen gehalten hat? Drei Auszüge im Video.

Die Staus waren lang, die Vorfreude riesig. Und Chris Martin, Will Champion, Jonny Buckland und Guy Berryman enttäuschten ihre Fans nicht. "Es ist eine Ehre hier zu sein, wir wollen das beste Konzert in unserem Leben spielen", gab Chris Martin zu Protokoll. Jede Menge Songs, ein Feuerwerk-Spektakel, Konfetti-Regen und blinkende Armbändchen folgten. Die rund 45.000 Coldplay-Anhänger im - natürlich - ausverkauften Stadion kamen voll auf ihre Kosten.

Die Aktuelle Stunde zeigt Ihnen einige magische Momente des Abends..

TRANSLATION:

Coldplay in Cologne: Britpop at its best

It is the third time within a year that Coldplay rocked the Cathedral City - after E-Werk and Cologne / Köln Arena this time in the Stadium. "We will play the best concert of our lives", said frontman Chris Martin. If he has kept his promise? 3 excerpt in the video.

There were traffic jams, and the anticipation was huge. And Chris Martin, Will Champion, Jonny Buckland and Guy Berryman did not disappoint their fans. "It is a honour to be here , we want to play the best concert of our lives", said Chris Martin. A lot of songs, a firework show, confetti rain/shower and flashing wristbands followed. The about 45,000 Coldplay fans in the - of course - sold-out stadium got more than what they came for.

"Die Aktuelle Stunde" shows you some magical moments of the evening.

Anyone come aross anymore Media Reviews..

In post 420 there were links to 4 reviews of which I have already translated the last one mentioned.

And earlier today I translated a part of a translation - I will do the entire translation now.

And I will try and do the rest tomorrow.

http://www.koeln.de/koeln/coldplay_l...on_636243.html

COLOURFUL COLDPLAY SHOW AT THE STADIUM

In a brightly coloured world of neon-coloured graffitti, Coldplay had the power over the Rheinenergie Stadium Tuesday night as they were standing onstage as part of their "Mylo Xyloto" tour. 45,000 people watched the colourful show given by the band around singer Chris Martin.

45,000 arms with flashing wristbands were held in the air as Coldplay opened/started their open-air show at 21:09 with "Mylo Xyloto", the title track off their latest album. To kick off the concert, they fired colourful fireworks (rockets) in the air, and costly/elaborate video projections flickered on the 5 round screens that were rimmed with neon tubes.

The British group introduced all songs off their 5th album to the audience in Cologne including the latest single "Princess of China" where duet partner Rihanna at least virtually gave her contribution. Clearly more celebrated / popular were the older songs such as "Viva la Vida", "Speed of Sound", "Clocks" or "Fix You" where Chris Martin let the fans sing alone.

Again and again the wristbands started to flash to the beat and were held in the air again and again. Together with the oversized, colorful balloons that were hopping through the interior, an extremely impressive, colorful backdrop was offered. The "Mylo Xyloto" theme was at any rate not to be overlooked / ignored: Graffitti and neon were dominant features throughout the night, even the instruments and microphones were covered with pink, red, yellow, green, blue and white doodles and writings.

Even all the lights and lamps could not overshadow the stage presence of frontman and singer Chris Martin. Hilarious, the 35-year-old frontman ran back and forth onstage, he jumped around onstage, he wallowed in the remaining confetti shower / rain, and he raged alternating on guitar and piano. From the first song he had beads of sweat on his forehead, and he was sweating so much that he had to change T-shirts 3 times.

As to the other 3 band members, guitarist Jonny Buckland, drummer Will Champion and bassist Guy Berryman, there was little focus on them - they did not seem to bother / care about that. Probably also because they had got used to it after 16 stage years together.

There was no reference to the musical colleague Lady Gaga, who gave concert at the same time in the Lanxess Arena. Instead Coldplay said goodbye after 5 extras at 22:52 with a "Thank you and Goodbye Cologne" - and Chris Martin did so with a peck/kiss on the stage floor.

That should be it.

http://www.koeln.de/koeln/coldplay_l...on_636243.html

COLOURFUL COLDPLAY SHOW AT THE STADIUM

In a brightly coloured world of neon-coloured graffitti, Coldplay had the power over the Rheinenergi Stadium Tuesday night as they were standing onstage as part of their "Mylo Xyloto" tour. 45,000 people watched the colourful show of the band around singer Chris Martin.

45,000 arms with flashing wristbands were held in the air as Coldplay opened/started their open-air show at 21:09 with "Mylo Xyloto", the title track off their latest album. Initially they fired colourful fireworks (rockets) in the air and cost-expensive video projections flackered over the 5 round that were surrounded with neon tubes.

The article describes the concert and here is a translation of a little extract followed by a summary:

"Die Briten präsentierten dem Kölner Publikum sämtliche Songs ihrer fünften Platte, inklusive der aktuellen Singleauskopplung „Princess of China“, zu dem Duettpartnerin Rihanna zumindest virtuell ihren Beitrag leistete. Deutlich mehr gefeiert wurden allerdings die älteren Stücke, wie „Viva la Vida“, „Speed of Sound“, „Clocks“ oder „Fix you“, bei denen Chris Martin zwischenzeitlich den Fans das Singen überließ. "

"The British group introduced all songs off their 5th album to the audience in Cologne including the latest single "Princess of China" where duet partner Rihanna at least virtually gave her contribution.

Clearly more celebrated / popular were the older songs such as "Viva la Vida", "Speed of Sound", "Clocks" or "Fix You" where Chris Martin let the fans sing alone."

Chris Martin was the center/focus of all attention which seemed to be perfect for the 3 other band members.

Coldplay did not mention Lady Gaga. At the end of the concert he kissed the stage floor (I think that is what is meant - not much time).

21jnclz.jpg

21mgmq0.jpg

23vde68.jpg

Finally I have found some time for my review, though Thalia and Ronnie have summed it up quite nicely. I have also some pics for you though my little camera did not cope well with the stage lights.

I arrived by tram at the stadium to meet up with our little Coldplaying group at about 8am and it was completely empty apart from two of our friends who had arrived at 3 and 6am respectively. We all had tickets for “Front of Stage left”. Some confusion arose about where to queue – not exactly helped by the above mentioned unfriendly guy from security – as we naturally thought we should be at the entrance marked “FOS left”. But logic apparently had nothing to do with it, so after having been sent round the stadium a few times we finally ended up at the correct entrance, which was on the other side from where we thought we should be. We were quite lucky – shortly afterwards they closed all walkthroughs so anyone arriving after us and heading for the “logical” spot had to walk a very long way around the whole area – through the woods – to get to the “correct” spot.

The empty stadion

P9040011.jpg

The "wrong" entrance

P9040016.jpg

It took some hours till the next fans arrived, by noon it was so hot we needed sunscreen, at 2pm it was still quite empty. As Thalia has mentioned we had a good time in the queue, making new friends and chatting with the security guys. In fact all the security personnel (with one notorious exception) were very nice. As we had brought way too much we shared our food and drinks with them and they told us a bit about their rather hard and often boring jobs. We also met Chris the “elephant guy” who went to more than 20 concerts of the MX-tour (he is the one holding up a sign on almost all panoramas)

P9040025.jpg

Waiting...

P9040041.jpg

P9040040.jpg

It was really hot!

P9040036.jpg

"Our" lovely security guys

P9040038.jpg

Queue at about 3pm

P9040042.jpg

P9040046.jpg

P9040045.jpg

At about 4pm “our” security guys started handing out FOS-armbands to us and as promised we - and the FOS right ticket holders - were let in 10 minutes earlier than everyone else. We took our Xylobands and then had to walk (or run) quite a distance to our entrance but it was no problem to make first line.

Handing out the armbands for FOS

P9040049.jpg

P9040056.jpg

View from FOS toward the next standing area

P9040057.jpg

P9040058.jpg

P9040062.jpg

P9040063.jpg

P9040069.jpg

P9040070.jpg

P9040071.jpg

As Thalia has reported we spotted Phil and he saw our birthday sign. Afterwards we had to explain to some people around us who we had been shouting to.

That's Phil

P9040077.jpg

Then some more waiting and finally Charlie XCX went on.

I still cannot say if I like her music – as mentioned before all I could here was bass and her voice was just a background noise. In the last song she apparently tried to get the audience to cheer for Coldplay but as we simply could not understand a word there was no reaction. A pity really. But she had an impressive dancing style and even more impressive shoes.

Charlie XCX...

P9040079.jpg

...and her shoes

P9040081.jpg

I liked Marina and the Diamonds but though the sound was a little better it was still not good. When she sang with guitar and piano all was fine but as soon as the bass came in her voice was almost droned out.

P9040084.jpg

Some more waiting and finally 99 Problems sounded from the speakers. By that time the stadium was full and instantly people started to shout and sing along – I was astonished that so many knew the lyrics. On the faces of some of the audience you could see the confusion – “What’s so special about this song?” – but when the lights went down and the BTTF theme started playing they caught on.

And then: Coldplay! Xylobands, confetti, balloons, laser-show, fireworks and above all the band. What can I say? I am no music critique, so I will leave that for someone else. I again had the feeling that they gave everything they had and in return the audience seemed to give them everything as well. At least from where I stood it seemed that people sang along to literally every song, old or new regardless.

For me personally the moment when the Xylobands come on is simply undescribable, and during the outro of Charlie Brown I nearly cried as it went so beautifully perfect with the lights. I liked POC better than I thought I would, loved Don’t Let It Break Your Heart and Will singing the end of Us Against The World on his own.

During ETIAW even the security guys were caught in the atmosphere and started throwing confetti at each other.:lol:

As always it was over too soon, we collected some confetti, said our good-byes and I went to the tram. The station was full with people but everybody was very nice and as they had the trams coming in head to tail that was no problem. Unfortunately my train does not run that often so I had to wait for an hour and sat outside on the steps of the beautiful cathedral feeling completely drained. In the train I met some Gaga-fans coming from the concert who mentioned her shout-out to Coldplay and made it finally home by 2am.

P9040102.jpg

P9040106.jpg

P9040110.jpg

P9040114.jpg

P9040118.jpg

P9040137.jpg

P9040138.jpg

P9040151.jpg

P9040166.jpg

P9040167.jpg

P9040170.jpg

P9040193.jpg