✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why can't I be a happy drunk?

The Mad Hatter

Meh, I think it's okay if you have a drink once in a while on your lonesome without people jumping to conclusions about 'ALCOHOLIK O NO'

Agreed. I drank a beer once by myself and my roommate judged me. Made me feel bad about myself :sad:

Thanks everyone...I've been kind of afraid to come online here for the past day or however long because I was afraid of what I'd written. It's not often one comes online to talk about problems and actually gets encouragement and compassionate listeners, especially when OP is pathetically drunk. :)

Wow, I'm not usually one to open up like this, but I understand what you mean The Mad Hatter. :) I used to turn to alcohol, too. I'd sneak it all past my parents. Any time I felt down, I'd just go chug a little bit of wine. Or Whiskey. Or beer. Or whatever I could get my hands on. However, the very thing I turned to whenever I felt depressed (alcohol) was the thing which depressed me the most. Definitely the absolute most down times I've ever had were AFTER I consumed alcohol, not before. :P Still, I kept on turning to it. Finally, it scared me so close to death that I just made a vow to NEVER touch a single drop of it ever again. I'm 10 months sober the 27th of this month. :) I frequently get a LOT of laughter and scoffing from my peers for never drinking at all, but I know I cannot allow peer pressure to get to me. I am also a Christian. I turned to God with my drinking problem. I prayed that He would help me and give me the strength to keep my vow of never touching a drop of alcohol ever again. I have prayed every single day for strength, and I still do. So far He's been giving it! I sincerely hope that you start feeling better soon. I will pray for you. Pray for God to relieve your problems, bless you, and help you through all of this. If you have any prayer requests, I'm not just saying this, I'll take them and pray. :) I am so sorry about you feeling so down. I've had some VERY low downs and still do, but I just keep on praying for strength and I'll do the same for you. :) Everything's Not Lost. Promise. :)

I admire your strength. <3 For a few months, as low as I felt, I thought I was still getting closer to God, but something broke me. I'm not sure what it was. I suppose I just need to be resilient in my faith, like you. Thanks for your prayers. :3

Have you tried any other vices? Why did/do you choose alcohol?

Eh, I smoked pot like...once. But nothing happened. I think one of my pothead Libertarian friends told me that nothing usually happens the first time because your body isn't acclimated to THC or something. I don't know. I'm no expert. I actually felt so guilty the first time that I cried a little. o_O But I've considered it again lately because of my anxiety...and to be honest, I've felt pretty self-destructive and considered a lot of other things to get into. :/ I use alcohol because it's available and nobody notices if it goes missing. And nobody assumes it's me drinking it when it does.

Meh' date=' I think it's okay if you have a drink once in a while on your lonesome without people jumping to conclusions about 'ALCOHOLIK O NO'[/quote']

I tend to think so too, but addiction kind of runs heavily in my family. My grandma was addicted to painkillers and morphine, my grandfather is an alcoholic, my uncle was addicted to painkillers and heroin, and there's tons of other things floating around in there too. Obviously I don't think I'm going to become addicted with one drink, but I've tried to avoid it most of my life because I think I'm somewhat predisposed to dependence, especially if I start drinking alone. Moderation is a difficult thing. :|

OMG I gotta admit I'm kinda relieved you posted! I know I'm a Coldplaying addict, but still I thought it was weird you not posting anything the past day...:confused:

Eh, I smoked pot like...once. But nothing happened. I think one of my pothead Libertarian friends told me that nothing usually happens the first time because your body isn't acclimated to THC or something. I don't know. I'm no expert. I actually felt so guilty the first time that I cried a little. o_O But I've considered it again lately because of my anxiety...and to be honest, I've felt pretty self-destructive and considered a lot of other things to get into. :/ I use alcohol because it's available and nobody notices if it goes missing. And nobody assumes it's me drinking it when it does.

I tend to think so too, but addiction kind of runs heavily in my family. My grandma was addicted to painkillers and morphine, my grandfather is an alcoholic, my uncle was addicted to painkillers and heroin, and there's tons of other things floating around in there too. Obviously I don't think I'm going to become addicted with one drink, but I've tried to avoid it most of my life because I think I'm somewhat predisposed to dependence, especially if I start drinking alone. Moderation is a difficult thing. :|

I haven't experienced any of that, but still, I'll tell you this: don't start anything. If anything your story shows any of those substances won't make you feel better but destroy you. I know it's easy to tell stuff like this, and I hope you don't take it as disrespect, but I just hope you'll be OK.

You'll always have one of us (and Coldplay) to turn to if you feel sad and lonely, you know ?

Hope you feel better :hug:

OMG I gotta admit I'm kinda relieved you posted! I know I'm a Coldplaying addict, but still I thought it was weird you not posting anything the past day...:confused:

I haven't experienced any of that, but still, I'll tell you this: don't start anything. If anything your story shows any of those substances won't make you feel better but destroy you. I know it's easy to tell stuff like this, and I hope you don't take it as disrespect, but I just hope you'll be OK.

You'll always have one of us (and Coldplay) to turn to if you feel sad and lonely, you know ?

Hope you feel better :hug:

I don't take it as disrespect. I'm trying not to use crutches. I know what happens; it just seems so much easier than actually living, you know? :/ I mean, in the end, it isn't, but it's so tempting.

I'm a libertarian and I've never smoked pot

I am and I have. ;P