✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[4-Mar-2012] Coldplay @ Amnesty International Presents: The Secret Policeman's Ball, New York, NY, U

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh. We have to wait until 7pm California time to watch it, and we got lucky. I didn't even know that EpixHD is part of our cable package, so it's set to record on my dvr :)

Mumford and Sons are AWESOME. They are definitely in my top 5 bands. I've seen them twice in concert, and they are just such great guys, and do a great show. I can't wait for their second album to come out - they've been in the studio working on it for awhile. Definitely check out their first album.

Oh I LOVE Mumford & Sons... I wish I could have seen this, it sounds awesome..

lovely, Chris losing himself up the stairs...:laugh3: love it, Teardrop had so much energy and Chris was having some fun. The confetti looked awesome. some of the Up With The Birds confetti looked like birds flying. The crowd seemed to enjoy that one. :heart:

Edit: Chris is hitting all the notes extremely well towards the end of Paradise.

:D

night, I laughed more with Coldplay and Chris f-king up and being funny and climbing the stairs than I did the whole show. :D

Somebody needs to upload ASAP lol

Yes yes :nod:

He also said to the crowd, I'll give you five dollars if you stand up. :laugh3:

LOL..

Viva La Vida

Paradise

ETIAW

It sounds such an awesome show.. :\ Wish I'd stayed up now.. although I'd have been shattered today...

Live from the Secret Policeman's Ball

Now something completely different: The Secret Policeman's Ball franchise, which in the '70s and '80s brought Monty Python comedians together with rock stars Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and Sting in support of Amnesty International, arrives in the USA at New York's Radio City Music Hall. The event Sunday night was a 50th birthday party for Amnesty, honoring the global human rights organization's commitment to free speech.

The lineup: Jon Stewart, Coldplay, Russell Brand, Liam Neeson, Ben Stiller, Kristen Wiig, Jason Sudeikis, Seth Meyers, Sarah Silverman, Rashida Jones, Paul Rudd, Reggie Watts, Mumford & Sons and The Muppets.

The fans: A not-quite-capacity crowd (less than 6,000) fills the venue.

Politically incorrect: The evening's comedy has fun with cultural differences between the U.K. and USA, with no shortage of off-color and politically incorrect humor.

The wrong Kim: Stewart appears with a Kim Jong-il impersonator, who keeps interrupting him. "I thought this was going to be Kim Kardashian," he says.

Give it up for The Amnestones!: Mock alt-pop band The Amnestones features Wiig and Fred Armisen on a human rights song with no lyrics (just humming and nonsensical words).

"A band of hillbillies": Mumford & Sons, introduced as "a band of hillbillies," rouse the crowd with a vigorous, buoyant Little LionMan and a tender Ghosts That We Knew. Mumford invites the crowd to its feet for the exuberant Roll Away Your Stone, and many oblige.

I say, you say: Stiller and David Williams discuss how words have different meanings on both sides of the pond — to wit, "Bush." (Williams: "Too embarrassing to mention." Stiller: "Same here.") But "Piers Morgan" means "annoying" in both countries, they agree.

A humorless note: Neeson introduces Burmese comedian/activist Maung Thura Zarganar, released from prison last year with Amnesty's help. Zarganar, who spent 11 years jailed for telling jokes, gets a standing ovation.

Viva La Vida: Chris Martin brings the crowd to its feet as Coldplay opens with a thumping Viva LaVida. "You've done so well for nine hours or however long you've been here," Martin says. "We take pleasure in being the least funny act here." The band ends powerfully on Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall as confetti falls on the audience.

link

Coldplay performs to defend freedom of expression

53639_mainimg.jpg

Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion of British alternative rock band Coldplay accept their British Group award at the BRIT Awards 2012 in London on February 21, 2012.

NEW YORK: Coldplay and Mumford and Sons were among the performers late Sunday at an Amnesty International concert organized in defense of freedom of expression.

The show marked the first time that the "Secret Policeman's Ball" -- organized by Amnesty International since 1976 -- was held in the United States.

Television comedian John Stewart was among the performers, sharing the stage with a fake Kim Jong-Un, who wanted to dominate the stage at all cost.

US actor Ben Stiller and Briton David Williams had fun comparing the meaning of different English words on both sides of the Atlantic.

Other participants included Russell Brand, Jimmy Carr, Sarah Silverman or Reggie Watts, whose performances were funny and often politically incorrect.

Actor and director Maung Thura Zarganar of Myanmar introduced a serious note to the show, recalling the importance of freedom of expression.

Released from prison in October 2009 after an intervention by Amnesty International, he talked about his 11 years in prison, where he was sent by the local military junta "just for making jokes."

He stressed that his country's fight for democracy and human rights was "far from over" and received a standing ovation from nearly 5,000 spectators attending the event at Radio City Music Hall.

Mumford and Sons sang several of its hits, including "Roll Away Your Stone" and "Little Lion Man," while the inexhaustible Coldplay finished the concert in a flurry of confetti.

http://www.dailystar.com

Untitled-1.png

:dance:

Why has this not happened yet though it's past 12pm ET? I'm waiting, Epix :angry:

Edit: I bothered them.

"The Amnesty International event has not been made available on the site yet, but we should be making it available later today or earlier tomorrow.

We apologize for the inconvenience."

Ugh, I just had to deal with some troll on setlist.fm who posted this as the setlist for this event

Mylo Xyloto

Hurts Like Heaven

In My Place

Yellow

Princess of China

Speed Of Sound

Charlie Brown

Paradise

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Stage 2:

Up in Flames

Talk.

X & Y

Main Stage

A Hopeful Transmission

Don't Let It Break Your Heart

Viva La Vida

Politik

*Encore

The Scientist

A Spell a Rebel Yell

M.M.I.X.

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

It would have been an awesome setlist though. Maybe it was someone from Coldplay hinting at a future setlist :wideeyed: