✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

MX is a journey, until...

Taz1853

Anyone else find MX, well all Coldplay albums, to be journeys? I was listening to MX in the gym yesterday and when it stopped playing I realised I was completely disconnected from the room, well, until...

...when Up In Flames was playing. Someone compared it to Fix You once and I was like, wahh?. No where near as good! It's positioned in the wrong place, between 2 fast paced-ish songs and I just got annoyed that DLIBYH wasn't playing, the great song it is. Up In Flames isn't right for this album, well and truely.

Bound to get people disagreeing that someone can dislike a Coldplay song but I think I do. Boring and repetitive song. Sorry guys, but it's better than lying to myself :(

I too love "Up In Flames". I love how the heartbreak of the lyrics is set against a really seductive musical backing. It doesn't interrupt the flow for me at all-given that "Princess Of China" is about a relationship that's ending, I think thematically "Up In Flames" fits well right next to it. Shows different sides/feelings towards the same situation.

I really like UiF and i think it is important that the album has slow and intimate songs to contrast the faster ones. I always thought it was positioned very well on the album. However, as it was the last song written and recorded i can see why it seems different to the others and therefore out of place.

There was meant to be 2 albums originally and I think UiF was maybe from the acoustic album and they slipped it in the MX album. Maybe it'll grow on me but seen as I've listened to the album many, many times, and I'm beginning to hate UiF now, I don't think my opinion is going to change again.

There was meant to be 2 albums originally and I think UiF was maybe from the acoustic album and they slipped it in the MX album

No, Up in Flames was written just before the album was released. It came very late along. The band recorded it in Australia when they were doing the Splendour in the Grass concert last year.

I am one of the few who loves Up in Flames. I think people miss the point slightly with it. The simplicity of the song is the whole point. It's about that sickening realisation you get in your stomach when you know that it's all over and you aren't going to get back together again.

No, Up in Flames was written just before the album was released. It came very late along. The band recorded it in Australia when they were doing the Splendour in the Grass concert last year.

I am one of the few who loves Up in Flames. I think people miss the point slightly with it. The simplicity of the song is the whole point. It's about that sickening realisation you get in your stomach when you know that it's all over and you aren't going to get back together again.

I don't miss the point, I just find it boring. Also, writing a song about losing someone from a relationship seems like a stupid idea in my opinion. It's best to just forget them than to prolong the pain!

I don't miss the point, I just find it boring. Also, writing a song about losing someone from a relationship seems like a stupid idea in my opinion. It's best to just forget them than to prolong the pain!

0_o

But if he just forgot about the break up, we wouldn't know that the two characters broke up - therefore the entire concept and narrative of the record would be lost on us.

Again. these opinions are just opinions. Some loves it while others are not amazed by it. you know, its just a personal thing. Coldplay presents different kinds of flavor. It's our choice to pick what we like and what we didn't love that much. Nevertheless, All the songs are good in their essence.

Sooo I guess you're not a fan of Adele :lol:

Seriously, saying that is ruling out A LOT of songs, and I think of a lot of Coldplay songs that are about that! So I have to say that post is a bit weird to me :confused:

Anyway, I love UiF, I think it's beautiful (and essential to the narrative aspect of the album). Sometimes I get a bit bored by it, so I don't listen to it for a while and then I realize again how beautiful I find it :wacky:

But of course you have every right not to like it :nice:

The live version was even worse for me :( & Coeurli, I like some of the songs just don't agree with writing about relationships that've ended. I just try to forget them forever than making a song to make it better because in the long run I'll be happier that way.

Exactly this. It's one of the best off of MX.

I used to dislike it, but it's grew on me - I think it fits very well into the album. What I do think is that there should be another track between it and AHT - AHT would be fantastic after a song that starts of slow, and ends with a huge crescendo (e.g. Fix You) imo.