✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How has your view of MX changed?

Lynn42

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought MX as soon as it came out and thought it was great, but at that time I pretty much had Viva and A Rush Of Blood on repeat everyday, so it was hard to pull away from those albums. As soon as I heard Charlie Brown (before it was on the radio) I was hooked, but when I saw them in concert this year, I fell hard. It's like I fell in love with every album they've ever made all over again :)

I like this album, but it is not their best album - it is still A Rush of Blood to the Head in my opinion followed by Viva.

Initially, I did not like Charlie Brown, but it has grown immensely on me.

Initially, I liked Princess of China very much, but it is not as big now.

I still love Us against the world - the best song on this album - and Paradise (the melody and video).

Don't let it break your heart is still very good, but not my favourite as it was initially.

To be quite honest, I can't put my finger on it yet. Individual songs have definitely grown on me. (For instance, I used to hate ETIAW and now I listen to it all the time.) And I have very clear favorites (I LOVE Charlie Brown, UATW, and UFO.) But, I can't really speak for the whole album, yet. With this era of music still being so fresh in my mind, combined with going to the live shows, everything still feels really jumbled together. I think I'm gonna have to wait until all of the craziness and hype of this era ends before I can go back, and fully reassess my rankings of the albums with MX included. Until that day comes, I still claim Viva as my favorite album, and MX has a big fat question mark.

i like it a lot. but in a different way to the first two/three and in a more similar way to my love of viva la vida. I feel less emotional connection to it but i think its fantastic live which has really improved my view of it

Nice thread. Can't resist writing a long-ish post. :dozey:

My view hasn't changed. I still think MX is their most cohesive album and there's a few great songs on it, but I feel like there's something missing. I don't have the urge to listen to it, haven't heard it more than 15 times.

It flows well, there's a few OK experiments (Up In Flames), there's great guitar parts and Chris's voice sounds better than ever, but something turns me off. It sounds too big. Like they pictured a packed stadium when they wrote the songs (which they probably did). Maybe they're trying too hard.

I've never liked ETIAW one bit and I'm not a fan of DLIBYH and Princess Of China either. (POC was sort of a guilty pleasure for a while though.)

Us Against The World is amazing, but nothing 'new'. Same goes for U.F.O. and Charlie Brown.

I am still in love with the first half of Paradise.

Major Minus is great. Up With The Birds... I'm not sure of.

Hurts Like Heaven has been my favourite from the start and is in my top 10 Coldplay songs.

The best thing about this era is the band itself. They're so confident on stage and even though the gimmicks are a bit much, it looks spectacular. I think they're playing better than ever.

I still hope they have the balls to do something entirely different for LP6.

Well, when the album first came out, I was so excited that I was bound to love it even if it was horrible. That feeling has long since worn off and I now consider it to be their worst album. :\ This was the first Coldplay album, I felt, which had multiple songs with sub-par lyrics, something that I was really disappointed with, since the only *bad* lyrical songs up until then had been Lost!. Now we have PoC, Paradise, and ETiaW (I'm going to get chewed out for this, aren't I? :P ).

But anyway, I do like Major Minus (my first favorite off the album), U.F.O., and UWtB (my current favorite), which kind of balance out the negative points.

Well, when the album first came out, I was so excited that I was bound to love it even if it was horrible. That feeling has long since worn off and I now consider it to be their worst album. :\ This was the first Coldplay album, I felt, which had multiple songs with sub-par lyrics, something that I was really disappointed with, since the only *bad* lyrical songs up until then had been Lost!. Now we have PoC, Paradise, and ETiaW (I'm going to get chewed out for this, aren't I? :P ).

But anyway, I do like Major Minus (my first favorite off the album), U.F.O., and UWtB (my current favorite), which kind of balance out the negative points.

I understand what you mean. Lyrically,the album was weak but for me they felt more confidence with this album and I can feel it when I listen to the album and see their live performances. I have to say, I think this is their most polarizing album.

P.S this is a civil forum not made up of emotional fangirls/boys.:D You're welcome to your opinion and hopefully no one chews you out. :)

I try not to listen to MX much because I dislike it more and more every time I listen to it. I'm not just saying that to be a bitch: It's true. I try and try and try and I just can't get into it.

I just realized that I haven't heard it in its entirely in a long time. When X&Y and VLV were released, I gave them a good listening once a week for like 6 months after their release. With MX, I wasn't listening it at all by december. Just kept listening to my fav tracks.

My favorites still are MX/HLH, Charlie Brown and UFO. Hated ETIAW when it was released as a single, but now I see how it works in the album (MMIX helps too).

Overall, I got tired of the album pretty quickly and I consider it their weakest to date, still much better than most of the stuff in the "pop rock" scene. But hey, at least they made something that pulled X&Y from the bottom of my personal album rank lol.

Ive always liked MX, but the more I listen to it the more I love it. I love that the guys love it and that it makes them happy playing the songs. I find myself feeling happy and dancing every time I listen to it so I think they have achieved, at least with me, part of what they set out to do. All of their albums are great, especially AROB, but kudos to them for trying new things and moving with the times and to their own beat.

I try not to listen to MX much because I dislike it more and more every time I listen to it. I'm not just saying that to be a bitch: It's true. I try and try and try and I just can't get into it.

I had the same feeling until I saw them @ HWB. Going to live shows puts new life into the songs. I have been enjoying MX lately due to this.

So Brent, I strongly advise you to go see them live! :D

I was in love when it was released, then I kinda got over it. Lately I find that I really enjoy listening to the whole album. I can't split MX, VLV and AROBTTH.

MX is just so uplifting, I think ETIAW is very underrated, and I don't know how it wasn't a massive hit - they didn't promote it as well as they should have. I actually think Charlie Brown is overrated. The last three tracks of this album are what really do it for me though. My favourite succession of closing tracks on a CP album. AHT, DLIBYH & UWTB <3

My one complaint is that I really wish Mylo Xyloto was a full song, you can hear that melody in almost every song on the album if you try hard enough, I think it would make for an amazing full length track.

As many of you may recall, I was really disappointed with this album and I didn't really listen to it again after November, though every now and then I'll hear a track from the album, and really, I think the only salvageable thing on the whole album is "Us Against the World". I used to think "Charlie Brown" was a bright spot, but that was in the immediate aftermath of the release of the dreadful "Paradise", and in reality, CB is just an inoffensive pop song that doesn't commit the horrible sins of ETIAW, Parrot Dies, or PoC. But it's really not that great.

I can say the same thing about DLIBYH, honestly. At first I didn't really have a verdict for that song. But I feel DLIBYH could be so much better than it actually is. It's catchy but it's a disorganized mess at the same time.

This also applies to "Major Minus" and "Up in Flames" - those 2 songs should be great. But little things (bad production on the former, that horrible drum beat on the latter, and Chris' most irritating vocals ever on both of them) kill them both.

And of course, I still for the life of me cannot understand the appeal of "Hurts Like Heaven" which is lyrically atrocious and musically generic. And I'm gonna just spare you all my thoughts on ETIAW, Paradise, and PoC. :P

So if anything, my opinion of the album has deteriorated even further somehow. :laugh3:

As many of you may recall, I was really disappointed with this album and I didn't really listen to it again after November, though every now and then I'll hear a track from the album, and really, I think the only salvageable thing on the whole album is "Us Against the World". I used to think "Charlie Brown" was a bright spot, but that was in the immediate aftermath of the release of the dreadful "Paradise", and in reality, CB is just an inoffensive pop song that doesn't commit the horrible sins of ETIAW, Parrot Dies, or PoC. But it's really not that great.

I can say the same thing about DLIBYH, honestly. At first I didn't really have a verdict for that song. But I feel DLIBYH could be so much better than it actually is. It's catchy but it's a disorganized mess at the same time.

This also applies to "Major Minus" and "Up in Flames" - those 2 songs should be great. But little things (bad production on the former, that horrible drum beat on the latter, and Chris' most irritating vocals ever on both of them) kill them both.

And of course, I still for the life of me cannot understand the appeal of "Hurts Like Heaven" which is lyrically atrocious and musically generic. And I'm gonna just spare

you all my thoughts on ETIAW, Paradise, and PoC. :P

So if anything, my opinion of the album has deteriorated even further somehow. :laugh3:

I agree with most of your critique. I don't agree on your conclusion on songs regarding whether they are good or bad, but I mostly have the same feelings about Major Minus, Up In Flames, and DLIBYH as you do. Which is shocking because I'm usually upset at what you have to say about MX. I can definitely understand where you are coming from about Charlie Brown, ETIAW, and Paradise. Although I disagree!

However the one thing I straight up can not understand is your dislike of Hurts Like Heaven. I mean, what da hell? Is soooo good. :\

Anyways, I finally respect your opinion, Corkus. Quality post. :D

let the harassment begin. at first i was super excited. just got into a super coldplay fanboy mode since it was a new album and all. don't get me wrong. i like MX. but years from now i feel like these songs are the ones i will listen to the least. to me they don't necessarily seem like classics/memorable songs except Us Against the World. i LOVE that song it even made me almost change my ultimate favorite coldplay song. on another note POC really grew on me and now i like it very much.

I agree with most of your critique. I don't agree on your conclusion on songs regarding whether they are good or bad, but I mostly have the same feelings about Major Minus, Up In Flames, and DLIBYH as you do. Which is shocking because I'm usually upset at what you have to say about MX. I can definitely understand where you are coming from about Charlie Brown, ETIAW, and Paradise. Although I disagree!

However the one thing I straight up can not understand is your dislike of Hurts Like Heaven. I mean, what da hell? Is soooo good. :\

Anyways, I finally respect your opinion, Corkus. Quality post. :D

When the album first came out, I had to vent. I used lots of profanities on here and totally disowned the band. My opinion about most of the album has not changed one bit, but I've blown off enough steam by now that I can critique it in a civil manner, haha.

As for HLH, I know a lot of people preferred the live version because of some odd effects on Chris's voice, but I didn't like it back then either. I dunno, it just sounds like a way blander version of a billion songs Bruce Springsteen has written.

I used to think that it was a crime that Coldplay made an album so different. But then I got to like it, and then it became old so quickly, anyone else think that? Like after a couple of weeks I wasn't interested in listening to it anymore...it got boring :\