✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Article: Man, I Used To Really Love Coldplay

coldplaymom

Oh yeh that also happens to sound like the charts and doing a duet with one of the biggest corporate puppets there is......they are trying to hard to sound current. Chris lives in a bubble and sometimes he appears to have lost sense of reality judging by some of his silly comments of late.

Oh well! Coldplay will be sorry to lose you as a fan after LP6 release. But good riddance perhaps?:inquisitive:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeh that also happens to sound like the charts and doing a duet with one of the biggest corporate puppets there is......they are trying to hard to sound current. Chris lives in a bubble and sometimes he appears to have lost sense of reality judging by some of his silly comments of late.

Does it ever occur to you that they may actually like that type of music?

Your argument doesn't wash either. Coldplay's older music never tried to appeal to tennypoppers like a duet to with Rihanna would. MX just sounds like everything else in the charts, the earlier stuff did not - infact it inspired and paved the way for a lot of new bands.

Again, your arguement depends on a lot of assumptions that you have no way of proving and are frankly arrogant IMHO. Because you personally don't care for Rihanna or for the overall sound of MX, the band couldn't possibly actually be making the music the genuinely want to make at this time?:rolleyes: I'd rather a band make whatever they wanted to make without clearing it with a bunch of prententious music snobs first.:P

Even defending them you still consider this.

but i don't think they do it for money, which is what you seem to be implying. i think they just want to share music with as many people as possible.

Chris said once in an interview (i want to say from Rolling Stone, but i'm not sure) that he spent a lot of time in church when he was growing up and that he loved it when everyone would sing hymns together. that's something that clearly shows when he performs, and so it's not entirely surprising to think that he or any of the other band members would want to connect with such a large group of people like that.

Nah course not. Why not duet with another female artist that is up and coming or better still unknown? They knew what they were doing.

Uhm... Because they like the one they chose. Really man, unless you have the magic power to see into the bands thoughts you have no way of knowing what their motives may or may not have been. I trust you remember the old saying about what happens when you assume things?:laugh3:

This is such a circular conversation. It doesn't matter how reasonable arguments are and how they show that some of the arguments woohoo37 presents are basically groundless, he will just keep on saying that Coldplay are selling themselves.

This is such a circular conversation. It doesn't matter how reasonable arguments are and how they show that some of the arguments woohoo37 presents are basically groundless, he will just keep on saying that Coldplay are selling themselves.

I know, but my stubborn nature just can't let such a weak arguement go unchallenged.:smug:

This is my reaction to reading this guy's article:

When I read the bit about the lyrics to AROBTTH I thought "Seems good so far" :thumbsup:

When I got to the part about him liking High Speed and Shiver I thought "Still seems fine. What's everyone making such a fuss about?" :huh:

When I read the part about the gig in 2002 I was like "Cool story bro." :nod:

But the moment I read what he had to say about Swallowed in the Sea and Cemeteries of London these were my exact reactions:

:huh:

:o

:angry:

:veryangry:

:saw:

sometimes circular conversations aren't a bad thing. at least we are all being civilized. :P

I read the article, and I never thought that he was acting like his opinion was the only right opinion. I think its because you all worship the thought that liking everything means that you are correct. So, when you read something that is not of your standards you automatically would believe that it is wrong. That is a sign of ignorance, and ignorance is a shade of stupidity.

Face it, someone said an opinion, you all mocked it, I call you all stupid, you all got butthurt and now we´re trying to justify our actions.

So I´m just going to stop now, because being in this forum I have realised that when it comes to opinions, nobody wins.

Wow, you obviously don't want to actually pay attention to what I was writing, my point was, everybody has a different opinion and you shouldn't freak out and start insulting people because you disagree with them, I wasn't trying to start a fight. I guess that's what I get for trying to be diplomatic, but hey, what the hell do I know, apparantly I'm ingorant :rolleyes:

I'm going to stop now because you are obviously incapable of having an intelligent, mature conversation without over reacting

I'm going to stop now because you are obviously incapable of having an intelligent, mature conversation without over reacting

Wow, you obviously don't want to actually pay attention to what I was writing, my point was, everybody has a different opinion and you shouldn't freak out and start insulting people because you disagree with them, I wasn't trying to start a fight.

my point was, everybody has a different opinion and you shouldn't freak out and start insulting people because you disagree with them

you shouldn't freak out and start insulting people because you disagree with them

:blank:

Oh well! Coldplay will be sorry to lose you as a fan after LP6 release. But good riddance perhaps?:inquisitive:

They won't. After 4 albums this is the first time I have really taken issue with a release - so I shall grin and bear it.

Anyway I'm sure you will be too busy in the Gwyneth thread to be bothered with what I think ;)

Again, your arguement depends on a lot of assumptions that you have no way of proving and are frankly arrogant IMHO. Because you personally don't care for Rihanna or for the overall sound of MX, the band couldn't possibly actually be making the music the genuinely want to make at this time?:rolleyes: I'd rather a band make whatever they wanted to make without clearing it with a bunch of prententious music snobs first.:P

Ah the old snob argument. YAWN.

Hipster alert?

?

I think you're missing the point of what people are saying. Most posters on the thread have a problem with the fact that whoever wrote this wrote it in such a way that the author made it look like his opinion was the only right one. They weren't calling him stupid (for the most part), they were just saying how he wrote the article in a silly, self-indulgent way. If he had said something like "I really don't like the new albums" instead of "the new albums suck and that's the ironclad truth" then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Bottom line is (and this has already been said) like what you like and deal with the fact that some people are going to disagree with you

I didn't get that impression at all. It's obviously an opinion. If anything it feels like everyone is freaking out about the soul reason that this guy doesn't like Coldplay anymore.

In my opinion MX is their worst album. I was hugely disappointed with MX because it was missing all the things I first loved about Coldplay the oddly sweet lyrics, Chris's voice and just generally that the songs were simpler and they had great melodies too. I like all there other albums up to MX though Parachutes and AROBTTH are the only ones which I love, X&Y and Viva are sub par to me but still I enjoy listening to them once in a while. And no it's not because I'm just a 'music snob' or 'not a true fan' I am still a big fan of Coldplay just not so much their recent stuff. You can say that coldplay have 'evolved' I am completely open to a change in musical direction just not this one and I'm not just going to leave or give up hope because they can just as easily change direction again and then maybe it will something I enjoy.

In my opinion MX is their worst album. I was hugely disappointed with MX because it was missing all the things I first loved about Coldplay the oddly sweet lyrics, Chris's voice and just generally that the songs were simpler and they had great melodies too. I like all there other albums up to MX though Parachutes and AROBTTH are the only ones which I love, X&Y and Viva are sub par to me but still I enjoy listening to them once in a while. And no it's not because I'm just a 'music snob' or 'not a true fan' I am still a big fan of Coldplay just not so much their recent stuff. You can say that coldplay have 'evolved' I am completely open to a change in musical direction just not this one and I'm not just going to leave or give up hope because they can just as easily change direction again and then maybe it will something I enjoy.

well said........watch out for the fan girls though :)

I won't speak for anyone else, but In that case, just say "eh, I like their early stuff" and leave it at that and I'll have no issue with you. That's how I feel about Radiohead for example.

Statements like you made there, may be true for you, but are not objective truth (for example, I would argue that certain lyrical passages in MX are in fact, vintage Chris Martin style lyrics.) Both of our opinions reflect our personal truth, but neither is absolute truth.

I guess my position in this matter boils down to 3 things:

1. Just because you like or dislike something, doesn't give you the right to claim your opinion as the objective truth, nor to run down people with opposing opinions (unless you're attacked first.)

2. No one can say for sure what they band's motives are for doing anything they've done, so stop acting like you can, it just makes you look foolish, and "proves" nothing.

3. Because Coldplaying is a Coldplay fan site, any critisism of the band is bound to be met with a negative reaction from a subset of the posters. This is just a fact of life on a site of this nature, and expecting otherwise is IMHO unreasonable.

They won't. After 4 albums this is the first time I have really taken issue with a release - so I shall grin and bear it.

Anyway I'm sure you will be too busy in the Gwyneth thread to be bothered with what I think ;)

That was a bit uncalled for man. So what if some people want to post in the Gwyneth thread? People want different things out of a site like this, and if that's how they want to spend their time here, there's no reason to belittle it with a snarky comment.