✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Article: Man, I Used To Really Love Coldplay

coldplaymom

Seriously? There has been relatively few personal attack on this thread IMHO.

Please don't call other people stupid for having an other opinion than you, thanks.

???

then why did a mod step in for something so minor ???

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

???

then why did a mod step in for something so minor ???

2 things:

1. The comment you refer to was actually the one defending the article, "stupid" was used in reference to other posters, not the author.

2. Being asked to not call people stupid is a bit different than a mod "stepping in" IMHO. Tash may be a mod, but many of us may have posted something similar, I'm not sure it should be viewed in the same light as more drastic corrective action.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Anybody can have a blog nowadays. Everyone has an opinion. Although I totally disagree with this guy's assessment of the band (in fact, I prefer the newer music of Coldplay myself), it's not a big deal. Let him yap away about not liking the band. Seeing 17,000 wristbands lit up two nights in a row in Dallas makes me happy to be a Coldplay supporter regardless of this guy's taste in music.

Man, I really don't get this... people stop liking a band band because they've changed their sound a bit, but are still making good music. What do you want then? I can only assume that you want to listen to bad music. If you lived in Brazil, you would be very very happy to be a person who likes Coldplay (aka Good music), because in here, we only have bad music. Believe me, when I say bad music, I mean music without any sense. Do you want to know what I mean? Watch this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NOWQ4tjiNI]João Lucas e Marcelo - Tchu Tcha Tcha (Official HD Video Clip + Lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNi4JIwsCo]BALADA BOA GUSTTAVO LIMA NOVO DVD - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcm55lU9knw]Michel Teló - Ai Se Eu Te Pego - Oficial (Assim você me mata) - YouTube[/ame]

Satisfied? This shit doesn't make any sense even here in Brazil, and it's only what plays in the radio!

You should be extremely happy to listen to Coldplay.

Well, if you don't like Coldplay, then why are you even on this site? Sure, Mylo Xyloto isn't their greatest album, but it's still great! I'm so sick of people saying how horrible and poplike it is. I think it's great! I like every song on there!(except Princess of China) It isn't nearly as good as their previous albums, but still! If you are a true Coldplay fan, you will always stick with them! Coldplay forever!

I really disagree with the article's author opinion. The fact that a band has made changes to the way they sound does not mean they will basically suck and keep sucking after that. Even though their songs have changed, you can still realize it is Coldplay when it plays. Chris' voice is recognizable in all of their songs, the drums are pretty characteristic, without mentioning Jonny's guitar playing. The fact that the band is now more poplike makes me a bit happy because know their songs cover a bigger spectrum of emotions, if you would like to call it that.

I have felt related to MX songs as much as I have to VLV, or Parachutes ones. I play whichever album i feel like playing in different occasions. They all make me happy.

When I first listened to MX it felt amazing because I was so excited to finally hear it, and the songs in the record went according to that feeling. My heart was already beating fast, and listening to MX/HLH made me even happier and excited.

Sure, I do not like the album as much as i like the previous ones, but the transition from X&Y to VLV to MX, has been amazing. In every album there have been lyrics that can amaze anyone, and there are a few that may not make any sense. But saying that the band sucks just because their sound has become too much poplike is a very big statement, and it is obvious that people that love this band will react they way they have.

Just... do not say a band sucks just because, personally, you do not like their music anymore. Chris has already said that this is not a fascist regime.

Erm, I don't think you realise how hypocritical you sound here. You want people to accept others opinions, yet you turn around and say that some other forum members are "stupid" for having an opinion other than your own... :rolleyes:

Those werent opinions, those were people stating as a fact that the album is good and in a way, without using the actual word, calling the author of this article stupid. So yeah, I guess I am a hypocrite because I just did what you guys where doing.

B/c I'm not afraid of opposing opinions. 1x a week, I turn on Fox News just to make sure I'm not wrong about them.

haha?

Just had some strawberry shortcake yogurt and it was amazing.

um ok

By that, there is a difference between calling an argument stupid and people stupid

Where I was quoting, it is pretty much directed at the author

At first I was calling you all stupid (and by the way are you all 9? stupid is not even that bad) but when really I was calling your arguments stupid, if they even were arguments. Just take a look at the first responses, they where slightly childish by saying that he´ll be "missing out" or "his loss","omg they are changing and you cant love them forever like us true fans!!" and ironically someone did call him stupid. We´ve been on this dance long enough, undestand for Gods sake PEOPLE CAN DISLIKE THINGS AND STILL BE FANS.

Well, if you don't like Coldplay, then why are you even on this site? Sure, Mylo Xyloto isn't their greatest album, but it's still great! I'm so sick of people saying how horrible and poplike it is. I think it's great! I like every song on there!(except Princess of China) It isn't nearly as good as their previous albums, but still! If you are a true Coldplay fan, you will always stick with them! Coldplay forever!

It even sounds sarcastic.

Because we still like discussing the older Coldplay albums? And because we enjoy the community in other parts of the site? Heck, World of Music to this day continues to provide me with great new music discoveries.

Honestly, the term "true fan" disgusts me, no matter what fanbase of what form of media we're talking about. Blindly liking everything somehow makes you superior to other fans? Ridiculous. No, not everyone who likes MX is blind, I realize that. But fans pissing on other fans to feel better about themselves is something that 13-year-old boy band fangirls do on their Tumblr pages and in their middle school locker rooms. Fans are allowed to be critical. In fact, with a critical viewpoint, those moments worthy of praise can shine even brighter.

At first I was calling you all stupid (and by the way are you all 9? stupid is not even that bad) but when really I was calling your arguments stupid, if they even were arguments. Just take a look at the first responses, they where slightly childish by saying that he´ll be "missing out" or "his loss","omg they are changing and you cant love them forever like us true fans!!" and ironically someone did call him stupid. We´ve been on this dance long enough, undestand for Gods sake PEOPLE CAN DISLIKE THINGS AND STILL BE FANS.

His loss because the only thing that his post really says is that he doesn't like Coldplay's work anymore. He's not anyone I know or that I value for some reason, so, yeah, that's his loss, I don't really care. That was my first reaction because, well, what do you want me to say ? :confused:

I'd care a bit more if he actually gave arguments better than "actual lyrics" or "an iron-clad truth" (again, who does he think he is ? he definitely can have his own opinion, but I don't consider my opinion as a truth and neither should he). But he gave that kind of "arguments", and so it annoyed me a bit.

You can call our arguments stupid, but at least most of the posts here had arguments, when there isn't any in his post, apart from his disappointment, his own personal opinion. You know you can't argue on opinions.

People can dislike the new and still be fans of the old. No problem. His loss :confused: (when I say "his loss" I mean what I said earlier in this post: "he doesn't like them, well, ok, I don't care. I'm not mad, I'm not happy, I just don't care")

I'm confused because this was turned into some kind of debate when really it's just a statement regarding someone's opinion, and that's it... :confused:

I hope you're not serious. :blank:

Wow, I didn't mean to piss you guys off. I didn't mean to act "superior" over other fans. But really, you guys didn't have to insult me like that. I apologize if I have insulted or annoyed anyone, but I really think that you should try to stick with a band, even though they may change a bit. Like I said, MX isn't their best album, but it is a good one, which doesn't deserve all of the hate.

EDIT: Alright, i admit it really did look stupid adding Coldplay forever, but still.

^ 1. No one insulted you.

2. I totally agree with Corkus when he said your comment sounded very much like a 13 year old. You probably didn't wanted your comment to sound like this but it totally came across as "coldplay is perfect if you don't agree just leave". I see you're new on the forum, but you'll see there are lots of other reasons why we might still post here even if we don't like MX so much.

Ohmygod you can't go anywhere in France without hearing this song. It's EVERYWHERE :blank: If only people knew what the lyrics actually mean... :lol:

OH MY GOD! They've evolved! Save us!

They didn't evolve, they changed.

And this doesn't neseccarily mean that they've gone bad, it's just different. You have to admit that VLVODAAHf-> MX was a huge step in a totally different direction (therefore to me: a change) And by admitting this you don't automatically say that MX sucks ok.

^ Hahaha I actually checked the little gender sign in your profile to make sure I wasn't saying anything wrong, and, I don't know, my brain got it all wrong. Time to go to bed I guess ! :laugh3: I'm so sorry ! :embarrassed:

Because we still like discussing the older Coldplay albums? And because we enjoy the community in other parts of the site? Heck, World of Music to this day continues to provide me with great new music discoveries.

Honestly, the term "true fan" disgusts me, no matter what fanbase of what form of media we're talking about. Blindly liking everything somehow makes you superior to other fans? Ridiculous. No, not everyone who likes MX is blind, I realize that. But fans pissing on other fans to feel better about themselves is something that 13-year-old boy band fangirls do on their Tumblr pages and in their middle school locker rooms. Fans are allowed to be critical. In fact, with a critical viewpoint, those moments worthy of praise can shine even brighter.

True, but as I've said before, it's not realistic to not expect that "true fan" mentality to crop up in contexts like this. It's reasonable to post opinions like those in the original article, but seeing as this is a fan site, some of those fans will jump in to defend the band no matter what. It's just the nature of this type of thing, the only real exceptions would be bands that are underground, cult, or otherwise attract a non-commercial following, which Coldplay is about the farthest thing from. In terms of their place in the music industry, they more or less occupy the same niche as those boy bands you mention, and have for about a decade now. It can absolutely be irritating, but it's par for the course IMHO

They didn't evolve, they changed.

And this doesn't neseccarily mean that they've gone bad, it's just different. You have to admit that VLVODAAHf-> MX was a huge step in a totally different direction (therefore to me: a change) And by admitting this you don't automatically say that MX sucks ok.

Every time a band records or releases new material, they're changing to some degree from what they've done before. Change is a given, and so is the fact that with any new release, some people will not care for it compared to what has come before. Find me any popular band whose later work has not attracted some degree of mixed reaction compared to it's early work, it's almost impossible. Even if the band tried to consistantly maintain the Parachutes sound 110%, it would still be different. The only way to avoid this is for the band to cease releasing new work all together.

So, is being 13 bad then? Well, whatever. I see what you mean though. Sorry for starting up something. Anyways, I think my favorite album would be Viva or Rush of Blood to the Head.

We've sniffed you out little one

Wow, I didn't mean to piss you guys off. I didn't mean to act "superior" over other fans. But really, you guys didn't have to insult me like that. I apologize if I have insulted or annoyed anyone, but I really think that you should try to stick with a band, even though they may change a bit. Like I said, MX isn't their best album, but it is a good one, which doesn't deserve all of the hate.

EDIT: Alright, i admit it really did look stupid adding Coldplay forever, but still.

And the 'true fan' thing gets old - from anyone - instantly. Because, really, what is a 'true fan'? Not only does it sound childish, but it sounds plain silly.

And the 'true fan' thing gets old - from anyone - instantly. Because, really, what is a 'true fan'? Not only does it sound childish, but it sounds plain silly.

Silly it may be, but it's also a reflection of some people's true feelings. If the whole crux of this thread (and countless others) is that we must respect other's opinions, must we not accept that the "true fan" thing reprensents the legitimate opinion of a sizable portion of posters?:\