✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Article: Man, I Used To Really Love Coldplay

coldplaymom

Every time a band records or releases new material, they're changing to some degree from what they've done before. Change is a given, and so is the fact that with any new release, some people will not care for it compared to what has come before. Find me any popular band whose later work has not attracted some degree of mixed reaction compared to it's early work, it's almost impossible. Even if the band tried to consistantly maintain the Parachutes sound 110%, it would still be different. The only way to avoid this is for the band to cease releasing new work all together.

I get what you mean, but I just pointed out that everybody keep talking about they are evolving they are evolving, and I think that up to VLVODAAHF, they evolved with each and every album. MX is just a change of direction. Not an evolution. And again this doesn't automatically mean that MX is a bad album.

That's a nuance I have to make, or otherwise I'll get shit all over me for being a bad fan, and then my whole point just vanishes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbR44GSUK6M&feature=player_embedded]Chris Martin singing the words "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction 06/28/2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Time to come back to earth Chris, this is getting embarrassing.....

Chris Martin singing the words "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction 06/28/2012 - YouTube[/url]

Come on, he sang one line as a shout-out because he heard that one of the guys from One Direction was attending the gig, he didn't say: "OMG WE LOVE 1D SO MUCH WE'RE GOING TO COLLABORATE WITH THEM ON THE NEXT LP, ACTUALLY I HAVE A BETTER IDEA, LET'S DO ONLY 1D COVERS FOR OUR NEXT ALBUM!! IT'S SUCH AN HONOR COZ THEY TOTALLY ARE THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD"

Geez!

Interesting, how this thread evolved from the discussion of one overreacting teenager's opinion to an old fan/new fan arguement.

Personally, I can count myself as a "new fan", disregarding the fact that I started listening to Coldplay well before MX. I mean, sometimes I feel the urge to defend Coldplay and their new material too.

The reason is that I have deep respect for the band as personalities. For Guy, Will, Chris, Jonny and Phil and all people involved. I know, that they put a lot of work in their music, a lot of effort. I respect them for being hard-working, humble, generous, for really caring about what they are doing. I also respect them for down-to-earth attitude and great sense of humour.

This feeling of respect makes me feel bad, when I read something like "Oohh, they suck", or "They are stupid band". I know, that most of you will agree, that they do not deserve to be insulted in such a way. It's just unfair. It's not even that they might read it one day. It's just - they are good people, and it doesn't matter whether you like their music or you don't - they don't deserve such treatment.

Let me clear one point - I do certainly agree that everybody has a right to have his or her own opinion on Coldplay music, good or bad, to express it, to critisize or to praise. We are here to share these opinions. You can always say, that, for example, rhythm section on this song wasn't good enough, or vocals were bad on that song. That this song didn't speak to you, and that lyrics didn't mean to you a thing.

But if you choose to say something like that guy did- poorly articulated opinion, indirectly insulting band members - be ready, that on this site there will be people who will (or at least try ;)) to defend their favourite band.

Come on, he sang one line as a shout-out because he heard that one of the guys from One Direction was attending the gig, he didn't say: "OMG WE LOVE 1D SO MUCH WE'RE GOING TO COLLABORATE WITH THEM ON THE NEXT LP, ACTUALLY I HAVE A BETTER IDEA, LET'S DO ONLY 1D COVERS FOR OUR NEXT ALBUM!! IT'S SUCH AN HONOR COZ THEY TOTALLY ARE THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD"

Geez!

No excuse what so ever, doesn't matter how you dress it up. Chris knew it would generate publicity for the teenyboppers. It's pathetic.

^ :wtf:

Hey, it was only a nice gesture from Chris, that's all. And he doesn't care that it "generates publicity for the teenyboppers". Who cares ? They have lots of publicity anyway :thinking: Coldplay and One Direction are not at war.

^ :wtf:

Hey, it was only a nice gesture from Chris, that's all. And he doesn't care that it "generates publicity for the teenyboppers". Who cares ?

Chris knew what he was doing........

Oh and I care when a band that can do so much better appear to water down their music to continue to try and appeal to the masses.

Those werent opinions, those were people stating as a fact that the album is good and in a way, without using the actual word, calling the author of this article stupid. So yeah, I guess I am a hypocrite because I just did what you guys where doing.

I think you're missing the point of what people are saying. Most posters on the thread have a problem with the fact that whoever wrote this wrote it in such a way that the author made it look like his opinion was the only right one. They weren't calling him stupid (for the most part), they were just saying how he wrote the article in a silly, self-indulgent way. If he had said something like "I really don't like the new albums" instead of "the new albums suck and that's the ironclad truth" then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Bottom line is (and this has already been said) like what you like and deal with the fact that some people are going to disagree with you

Chris Martin singing the words "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction 06/28/2012 - YouTube[/url]

That's simply Chris being Chris. Remember "it's getting hot in here", "how can we be lovers if we can't be friends", "I feel like a woman", etc? He's quick, smart, and considerate that way. As it's already been said here, he just wanted to acknowledge 1 of 1D members presence.

Coldplay makes beautiful music, but many bands do. The reason some of us are fans is b/c of their personalities, particularly Chris Martin's. He's very humble and down to earth. He'd be flattered if Miley Cyrus wanted to meet him. I hope he never changes, and I don't think he will.

I think you're missing the point of what people are saying. Most posters on the thread have a problem with the fact that whoever wrote this wrote it in such a way that the author made it look like his opinion was the only right one. They weren't calling him stupid (for the most part), they were just saying how he wrote the article in a silly, self-indulgent way. If he had said something like "I really don't like the new albums" instead of "the new albums suck and that's the ironclad truth" then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Bottom line is (and this has already been said) like what you like and deal with the fact that some people are going to disagree with you

I read the article, and I never thought that he was acting like his opinion was the only right opinion. I think its because you all worship the thought that liking everything means that you are correct. So, when you read something that is not of your standards you automatically would believe that it is wrong. That is a sign of ignorance, and ignorance is a shade of stupidity.

Face it, someone said an opinion, you all mocked it, I call you all stupid, you all got butthurt and now we´re trying to justify our actions.

So I´m just going to stop now, because being in this forum I have realised that when it comes to opinions, nobody wins.

I read the article, and I never thought that he was acting like his opinion was the only right opinion. I think its because you all worship the thought that liking everything means that you are correct. So, when you read something that is not of your standards you automatically would believe that it is wrong. That is a sign of ignorance, and ignorance is a shade of stupidity.

Face it, someone said an opinion, you all mocked it, I call you all stupid, you all got butthurt and now we´re trying to justify our actions.

So I´m just going to stop now, because being in this forum I have realised that when it comes to opinions, nobody wins.

I can't accept that post. I just can't.

I was about to say something again but I realised it would be useless because you completely ignored my responses to your posts, so I don't see why it would change :dozey:

You say no one wins, but from what I read in your posts, you keep thinking your last word is the one everyone should agree on, so, THERE YOU WIN. I hope you're happy. Have a nice evening :nice:

Oh and I care when a band that can do so much better appear to water down their music to continue to try and appeal to the masses.

Although a lot of popular acts are popular just because they managed to find the formula to catchy songs, it doesn't work both ways; it doesn't entail that 'popular' is a synonym to 'souless'. Coldplay are popular without that. They 'appeal to the masses' because you can relate to their songs, they're good at what they do and pull off a very good live show from what I've heard.

Once, Chris attempted an impersonation of Justin Timberlake. This was clearly something intended lightheartedly. Having covered One Direction doesn't mean Coldplay are about to turn into One Direction in much the same way that Chris wasn't going to become Timberlake. The impersonation was a joke, the One Direction line was a shout out or something of that sort. Chris does that a lot. During a BBC show, he changed some words from Yellow to greet Jo Whiley. He often changes the lyrics to greet the people from the country where they are playing.

I don't think there is anything wrong about being nice towards other people or willing that lots of people like what you produce. In the Coldplay case, this doesn't imply yielding whatever crap from a pre-established formula to success. Whatever they're doing now is, imo, whay they believe to be the right path to what they want to express for the time being.

I can't accept that post. I just can't.

I was about to say something again but I realised it would be useless because you completely ignored my responses to your posts, so I don't see why it would change :dozey:

You say no one wins, but from what I read in your posts, you keep thinking your last word is the one everyone should agree on, so, THERE YOU WIN. I hope you're happy. Have a nice evening :nice:

ok

It´s not even an article its a fucking blog post, chill your balls in a cooler.

I agree with the article. I still really like the first 4 albums... Tried to like MX, even almost warmed up to a couple songs, but it still makes me nauseous, so I deleted it and gave the CD to my sister.

But these are all just opinions, no right or wrong. But, I'm kinda always right, soo ya, that's awkward.

I agree with the article. I still really like the first 4 albums... Tried to like MX, even almost warmed up to a couple songs, but it still makes me nauseous, so I deleted it and gave the CD to my sister.

But these are all just opinions, no right or wrong. But, I'm kinda always right, soo ya, that's awkward.

You don't agree with the article. The author stopped at AROBTTH:D

You don't agree with the article. The author stopped at AROBTTH:D

I can still like X&Y with being well aware of the amount of cheese present on that album..And the same kinda thing for Viva.. So ya, I do agree with it.

I get what you mean, but I just pointed out that everybody keep talking about they are evolving they are evolving, and I think that up to VLVODAAHF, they evolved with each and every album. MX is just a change of direction. Not an evolution. And again this doesn't automatically mean that MX is a bad album.

That's a nuance I have to make, or otherwise I'll get shit all over me for being a bad fan, and then my whole point just vanishes

What (and more importantly who) determines what the difference is between those two terms?

I'm sorry, but this arguement simply doesn't wash. Coldplay's older material already had about as much commercial mass appeal as it's possible to get. Artists can only "sell out" if they're not a commercial juggernaut to begin with. If that was their motovation (and I see no reason to believe it was) they needn't have altered their sound at all. Coldplay's audience, on the whole, is not any younger now than it ever was. If anything, the biggest segment of their audience (at least in North America) is the Triple A crowd, which is primarily composed of slightly older adults.

I'm sorry, but this arguement simply doesn't wash. Coldplay's older material already had about as much commercial mass appeal as it's possible to get. Artists can only "sell out" if they're not a commercial juggernaut to begin with. If that was their motovation (and I see no reason to believe it was) they needn't have altered their sound at all. Coldplay's audience, on the whole, is not any younger now than it ever was. If anything, the biggest segment of their audience (at least in North America) is the Triple A crowd, which is primarily composed of slightly older adults.

1 word. Yellow.