Article: Man, I Used To Really Love Coldplay

coldplaymom

Man, I Used To Really Love Coldplay

By Nick Rallo Fri., Jun. 22 2012 at 9:00 AM

Comments (17)

Categories: Confession

7822437.87-thumb-560x372.jpg

SF Weekly

Years ago, something disturbing was taped up on the walls of my friend's dorm room at SMU. Printed on plain, white paper were the lyrics from "A Rush of Blood to the Head" by Coldplay. He'd even increased the font size, bolded some words, and put them on multiple pages to make them stand out against the stale walls of SMU's Mary Hay Dorm.

Wait, hang on.

It wasn't my friend. It was me.

I'm the one who had the lyrics to "A Rush of Blood to the Head" taped up on my dorm room walls. And it wasn't an accident. I didn't accidentally, like, "oh, shit" copy and paste the wrong song, re-size and bold the verses, print them to multiple sheets of paper and place them in a meaningful array over my dorm walls.

I just really loved Coldplay. I loved Parachutes. I loved the drifty, boozy darkness of "High Speed." I loved "Shiver." And I loved A Rush of Blood to the Head, the sprawling darkness of "Warning Sign," the war-infused lyrics of the title track. (Plus, there was the show at Nokia Theater in 2002, during the Rush of Blood tour, where I sat next to these girls who I thought about asking out, and then didn't. Turned out to be the band Eisley, who was also opening.)

I'm not saying all this because I'm not supposed to like Coldplay for some bullshit reason. I'm saying it now because of a new ironclad truth: Coldplay really, really blows. Hard. On the Star Wars scale of terrible, the last three albums each hit Phantom Menace. Following the morose stuff on Rush of Blood and Parachutes, there were notable moments of complete ass suckery, like:

1. The CW-ready melodrama of X&Y's "Swallowed in the Sea":

Actual lyric: "And I could write a song a hundred miles long / Well that's where I belong / Well you belong with me"

2. The annoying, U2 intensity of "Cemeteries of London" off Viva La Vida:

Actual lyric: "At night they would go walking to the breaking of the day / The morning is for sleeping"

3. And the meandering headache of Mylo Xyloto:

Actual song title: "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall"

There is something low about this kind of musical change. Something depressing, like a part of you has been poured out on the sidewalk. It's the feeling of moving on from the music tastes of your youth. Sometimes, you can see it coming: a sudden numbness during a song that used to prickle your senses. It's the reason all of those Dave Matthews live bootlegs are in the trash. Sometimes you're just blindsided because Hey,That Artist You Used to Love Suddenly, Inexorably Blows.

Has Coldplay always sucked? I don't know. What do you think? I can't separate myself from it. I grew up with them, so part of this is sentimental. Thing is, I'll always check in to hear their new stuff. Just to see if they still suck.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2012/06/man_i_used_to_really_love_cold.php

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people have to write about what kind of music they like? I don't bloody care what some dude thinks about a band. Listen to them or listen to something else. Why fill a whole page about it? :facepalm:

You are all so stupid, every single of one you. Hey! I like every album except Mylo Xyloto but you gotta understand his pain about when you really like an artist and wait for them to get amazing material that you will like that you hope will (not sound like that dumb joke that everybody uses, Parachutes 2.0) but along the lines of the first two. I think its good to read opinions other than your own.

^ I understand his pain, but , "a new ironclad truth" (who do you think you are to say your opinion is an objective truth? a musical genius? not even one would say such a thing, there's no truth, there are only opinions) and "actual lyric/title" aren't really arguments to me (the latter makes it look like it's so obvious only a dummy would disagree).

Also, as macky said, he doesn't seem to like more than one type of music, and I agree that if so, he shouldn't write music articles.

Man, I Used To Really Love Coldplay

By Nick Rallo Fri., Jun. 22 2012 at 9:00 AM

Comments (17)

Categories: Confession

Has Coldplay always sucked? I don't know. What do you think? I can't separate myself from it. I grew up with them, so part of this is sentimental. Thing is, I'll always check in to hear their new stuff. Just to see if they still suck.

I sucked ? my personal offense .

It's a childish approach. I've never understand people who feel depressed over the albums and feel the urge to call the band suckers. Your favourite band released something, you're not happy about, so what, sit and cry? Go and write everywhere on the Internet OMG THEY SUCK!!!???

Relationships with music are like relationships with people. Either you aceept them with all their flaws and mistakes, or you don't accept them at all. I mean, I like Coldplay. I love their music, I like the band and respect them for what they are. Sometimes they release something I'm not entirely happy about. Some songs I skip. The others I listen to a lot. They are people, they change, they take wrong steps, and music developes with them.

I like MX, but I can't say it's my favourite. I expected different sound, and I was unhappy with some tracks. And you know what I do? I listen to the songs I like, and listen to the old albums when I feel nostalgic. See? No need to insult anyone, cry or be depressed.

You are all so stupid, every single of one you. Hey! I like every album except Mylo Xyloto but you gotta understand his pain about when you really like an artist and wait for them to get amazing material that you will like that you hope will (not sound like that dumb joke that everybody uses, Parachutes 2.0) but along the lines of the first two. I think its good to read opinions other than your own.

I agree with you. Even though I wouldn't go to the point of saying that MX sucks, it certainly doesn't compare to the band previous albums for me. It's not the amazing material I was waiting for from Coldplay and I was immensely disappointed when I listened to it the first time. Of course it's great that Coldplay is evolving, how boring would it be ? But they could have evolved an other way, with a sound closer to what we heard on AROBTTH.

I don't see what's wrong with this article. The man just says he would've prefered the band to keep going in the same way. I would have as well. It doesn't mean we "don't have an opinion" or "shouldn't be writing". He has the right to say what he thinks the same way you all defend the band. Basically he says he doesn't like their lyrics, I don't see what's "childish" there. And please don't be like "he should just move on if he doesn't like it" ; most of you probably know what it is to enjoy one band's music more than anything, and how hard then it is to realise you actually don't enjoy them at all anymore.

^The problem is that he doesn't even say he understands the fact that a band evolve so they don't get boring, and, most of all, he doesn't support his view with actual arguments. His only argument is basically: LOOK! It's obvious that they suck!

You, on the other hand, supported your view with actual arguments, and so if I had read that I would have reacted in a different way :)

Yeah I expected that.

Lets just ignore what I said after that and focus on the insult!

How about this:

It's not so much what he said (though plenty of people do disagree with him). He makes sweeping generalizations, passes off his personal opinion as "Ironclad fact", and generally writes in a snarky, sarcastic tone that puts people off. Some people like Coldplay's later material, some don't. Listen to the part you like, and don't put down others for liking the part that you don't.

No band owes it to people to keep making a certain kind of music, and no one's forced to listen to music they don't care for. Everyone wins if everyone just leaves each other be.;)