✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[22-Mar-2014] Coldplay @ Sony Pictures Studios, Los Angeles, USA

Tash

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really hoping the tour will follow this type of intimacy, with the band joking around and talking with the audience while playing music. MX tour was brilliant but it made me feel distant from the band. I missed this intimacy that came with the Viva shows, and now it's back so I'm going to this tour and I hope it will be similar to how these shows have been described.

Coldplay Introduces 'Ghost Stories' in Intimate Concert

coldplay-credit-anton-corbijn.jpg

Chris Martin floats above the crowd to preview album’s May 19 release in front of 800.

As listening parties go, this was the ultimate.

Coldplay took over a giant sound stage at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City for three intimate shows to preview songs from their upcoming album, Ghost Stories, the first for Parlophone/Atlantic, scheduled for release May 19

Eight hundred lucky fans at each of the three performances Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights– either chosen online, through the Citi Thank You card members program or “friends and family” – got to see the band perform the new album up-close and intimate, set amidst an enchanted forest, complete with 360-degree video screens and lasers. Coldplay previously previewed several of the songs for Apple's iTunes Festival at the recent SXSW.

The unfailingly polite Chris Martin greeted the audience – who were asked to leave their cell phones at the door -- by explaining the show was being taped for a DVD and future NBC special, before the band, in the round, launched into “Paradise” and “Clocks,” returning to the stage to do the entire new album in order.

Martin donned a harness to hover above the crowd and spin around – like Pink meets Cirque de Soleil -- for “Always in My Head,” jokingly claiming the band needs “smoke and mirrors” to compete with the likes of One Direction and Harry Styles’ perfect hair. After complaining about how the contraption gave him “chafing in my underwear in a place you don’t want,” he returned to perform the song again without the apparatus.

The album’s first single, “Magic,” got a warm reception, while “Ink” seemed to be about getting a tattoo, with Martin strumming an acoustic guitar. “Midnight” was a highlight, with Martin and bassist Guy Berryman making music by playing the laser beams like a harp. “Another’s Arms” and “Oceans” are both atmospheric numbers, both with water motifs, leading to the show-stopping “A Sky Full of Stars,” a massive chiming anthem for guitarist Jonny Buckland in the surging “Clocks” mode that was accompanied by a flurry of star-shaped confetti. Martin was back at the piano for the mostly solo “O,” with drummer Will Champion providing subtle guitar licks. After a brief pause, they returned to the stage for a rousing “Viva la Vida” and “Fix You,” which brought the hour-long set to a conclusion, leaving many still in slack-jawed awe at what they had just seen, and were unable to record on their phones.

With no Ghost Stories touring plans announced (or interviews for the album), this may well be the last time in a while fans had a chance to see the band play live, and if so, it was one for the ages, as Martin, typically self-effacing, thanked us for “spending our Saturday night” with them.

link

^ hahaa. isn't it funny? " Martin and bassist Guy Berryman making music by playing the laser beams like a harp", "drummer Will Champion providing subtle guitar licks". wish the article mentioned jonny's piano playing too.

sky full of stars is show stopping? can't wait!

^ hahaa. isn't it funny? " Martin and bassist Guy Berryman making music by playing the laser beams like a harp", "drummer Will Champion providing subtle guitar licks". wish the article mentioned jonny's piano playing too.

sky full of stars is show stopping? can't wait!

Jonny rocked that piano, didn't he? Oh, I want a do-over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the wonderful review. I tried to get tickets but never got off the waitlist for the 3 shows or not able to get through on the calls to the radio station, or having a Citibank card to buy the tickets. At least though your review I can feel like I was there. I hope Coldplay comes back to LA for their tour. Sounds like Ghost Stories one is a going to be a great cd. Can't wait for the DVD. Thanks again for your info.

Not sure I like this speculative talk about only a few thousand people potentially getting to hear Ghost Stories live. I respect the idea that the album is more acoustic in nature, and intimate, and an intimate setting sets the tone for the album. However, Coldplay's fanbase is huge, and it just seems, well, completely wrong to deny so many other thousands of fans that absolutely love the band the opportunity to see them while a smaller subsection gets the pleasure. I don't know. It just bothers me.

N

There are two fantastic AMA's going on over at the Coldplay subreddit for anyone interested in learning more of other's opinions.

Thank you for these. Loved reading all the comments. My excitement level just shot through the roof

As in playing the complete album in one go.

That's my interpretation too. On Sunday Chris said we were part of the few thousand that would get to hear it live like this. I believe that meant that album cover to cover.

As in playing the complete album in one go.

That's my interpretation too. On Sunday Chris said we were part of the few thousand that would get to hear it live like this. I believe that meant that album cover to cover.

ah, looks like I read it wrong and started jumping to conclusions, my bad. :embarrassed: I was thinking to myself, what?! I am not going to get to see them for this album?! Nooooooooooooooo!

I really want to see at least some of GS live.