✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Midnight base track - Jon Hopkin's Amphora

gai

^You shouldn't be annoyed, so was Talk and the main riff wasn't even theirs!

I know, but it wasn't a secret (about Kratfwerk) and at least they recorded with a different sound, while Midnight completely was taken from Hopkins laptop.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, but it wasn't a secret (about Kratfwerk) and at least they recorded with a different sound, while Midnight completely was taken from Hopkins laptop.

Yeah, I understand. But remember, it was Hopkins' choice to do this. If you were in his place, would you deny "producing" with the greatest band of all time? Even if you weren't properly recognised for it?

Yeah, I understand. But remember, it was Hopkins' choice to do this. If you were in his place, would you deny "producing" with the greatest band of all time? Even if you weren't properly recognised for it?
yep second this

That's not about money, I thought Midnight was a masterpiece which put Coldplay on one level with Radiohead with this spiritual performance and in the end it's just a remix everyone could make with a microphone and Garageband.

PS And to make my day worse Oceans was the weakest song so far, damn.

Dunno, take out Amphora and you are getting distorted vocal with sound effects. And they didn't even mentioned it like "collaborations" (oh really?)

I'm sorry lads but that's just a hoax, I'm seriously pissed off. I think boys are talented enough to put something they likes through and while create something similar yet it would be your own music.

First of all, Hopkins said he was going to finish the track (and probably release it). So, more exposure for him, which is a good thing.

Second, Midnight is better than 'Amphora'. I can't sit through Amphora (and I can listen to a lot more minimalistic tracks), whereas Midnight adds something to it.

It's a synergy effect, where 1+1 = 3, take Coldplay and Jon Hopkins, and you get something artistically better than the simple sum of the two.

p.s. Garageband ain't so bad, btw))

yep second this john hopkins is going to take more publicity nice for him and nice for coldplay the two sides win.

Dunno, take out Amphora and you are getting distorted vocal with sound effects. And they didn't even mentioned it like "collaborations" (oh really?)

I'm sorry lads but that's just a hoax, I'm seriously pissed off. I think boys are talented enough to put something they likes through and while create something similar yet it would be your own music.

well first of all, jon hopkins is the PRODUCER of the song so yeah, he is credited here. and second of all, it was his decision to base midnight from his track amphora. so add amphora and coldplay's compositions on it, its a totally different track.

So the band just added some lyrics, made a bit of a remix and that's all?

Disappointment. The whole melody/composition has been written and composed by another chap.

That's not the way it used to be. It reminds me Madonna/Lady Gaga style of "music" - rehash and ripoff.

jon hopkins is the PRODUCER of MIDNIGHT. so yeah, there is no rip off/rehash here. it was his decision to create a new song based on his work, amphora. so basically jon hopkins has a lot of credit here since he is one of the PRODUCERS of ghost stories.

ihaveabono, thanks for info.

I googled and found out Hopkins was mentioned like producer, fair enough.

Still it's a bummer they didn't write melody, chords, because that's the bone of any song.

I guess thats consequences of living in a modern digital world, kind of.

Still it's a bummer they didn't write melody, chords, because that's the bone of any song.

Of course they did. Have you actually listened to the original? There's barely anything to it.

it's fine, no worries there :) ur welcome :)

well, when it comes to the song writing process for an album, the band and the producers go hand in hand in composing a song, it doesnt have to be chris martin and the band all the time. the point of having a producer is to HELP the band in making songs and here, jon hopkins offered his song, amphora, as the base for midnight.

come to think of it, what the band does is much better than what rihanna or other pop girls chrun out. they have their ghost songwriters and theyre just there to sing and perform. at least Coldplay gets to decide what song they want to make :) just my two cents :)

what the band does is much better than what rihanna or other pop girls chrun out. they have their ghost songwriters and theyre just there to sing and perform.

Yup! They're about as musically talented as castrated howler monkeys but are making millions in the music industry! Society is (almost) completely fucked!