✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I hate cleaning.

Coldplay

I really, really, really do.

In other fields I am very neat and well-put together. I dress nice. I'm neat with all my schoolwork.

But Christ, I'm not honest with anyone (apart from my family, because they've seen it) about how my room looks. It's fucking terrible. Not anyone else's idea of 'terrible', which is an absolute exaggeration and can be tidied in 20 mins tops. Kind of like when girls who weigh 120 pounds go on about how incredibly fat they are.

No, my room is just a pile of random shit, piled on the floor with no visible carpet. You can hardly see what color the fucking carpet is. Nothing is in its drawer or shelf and it's literally just thrown on the floor. Most of my closet, electronics, and jewelry included.

The worst part is that I actually like it. I don't see anything wrong with it, seems more like everyone else does. I have no ambition to change it because of that. But I haven't been able to invite friends over (and wear most of my clothes) for this reason. Every once in a blue moon I binge clean, which takes like 14 hours spaced over a weekend, then things gradually get back to their old state.

I know the solution is to spend 5 minutes or so a day maintaining the cleanliness of your room but I'm way past that state so I would like to ask for advice on how to make the act of cleaning less menial and unrewarding. To be honest I think it's starting in general that's the worst part. It's like I want to make it hard for myself. I look at something that will take hours and I just get overwhelmed.

I need advice, before a Coldplayer who is planning on visiting me this summer sees how I live and promptly never talks to me again

Wow okay, I find cleaning up rooms to be a very relief because after everything's tidy you usually got a lot of useless shit out of the place that lands straight in the trash bin.

Just listen to cool music while cleaning up, make different piles for clothes, magazines (or whatever the hell is lying around in your place) and then you can decide if you really need everything or if you can throw out a few things. After that you put the stuff back into closets or other furnitur that is supposed to keep stuff in.

Just gimme a screenshot of your room, I'm a pro in cleaning up rooms :charming:

I hate cleaning old homes but new homes I love cleaning, my room is too squishy to do anything its not untidy but could do with a clean..Too stressed to worry about it though, I will get around to it when im in a better mood

This is all said with a smile:

1) Keeping clean takes WORK. There's no escaping that.

2) Keep clean, don't make clean.

3) Say "goodnight" to your apartment - spend 1 min putting things back in their place or throw them out.

4) Clean the place once a week. A small to medium sized place can get back in order in one hour. Don't forget: panels, lamps, spider friendly corners (don't forget to look up) and other non-obvious places.

5) Vacuum the place twice a week - it'll help keeping the amount of dust down on every surface so it's a worthy investment.

6) Getting the dish washing done every day REALLY helps the overall impression.

7) Things need to have a place or be thrown out. Otherwise it'll be too daunting a task to "reset" or say "goodnight" to your apartment every day.

8) Have less stuff. Throw stuff out. Buy less stuff. You get the point. :)

9) A clean bathroom also really helps the overall impression. It needs to be KEPT clean, otherwise you'll end up needing professionals for the job.

10) Order makes cleaning MUCH easier.

11) And like Batman very wisely said, make cleaning enjoyable by listening to great music - maybe energetic Coldplay songs? ASFOS, Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven, etc.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the same as you Dee, only problem is I have collections which have just grown too big for my room and I have nowhere to store anything. So I just kinda give up thinking 'well there's no point if I have no place to put these things when cleaning'.

One perk for me is that when hoovering, I can sing as loud as I want and NOBODY can hear me! Because this is the only time I am able to do this, I hoover for about 2 hours each week ;)

lol

Meh, no reason to feel overwhelmed. Just start at one part of the room and go from there. As Batman said, throw some music on, or even a movie or something else like that and just work at it. It's something you know you want to do because your friend is coming to visit you, so you might as well just get on with it right? Starting is the worst, but you'll get settled into it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have so much cleaning to do and it feels like im getting nowhere with all this dirt that keeps coming in, i just cant seem to clean it once and for all, its so annoying I hate cleaning and Suzies dad my lord said that i have to try and keep it all clean then and only then will there be proper living order..... but there just so much shit laying around that never comes clean...., old shit just renews itself to newer thinks its smarter shit and never subjects to order...lol Yes it obvious my rooms a mess and it could possibly get messier but I keep trying like im supposed to, its my main job, I hate dirt why cant it just clean itself stupid dirt thats all it is is stupid, if only it knew...lol ok rant over

Guest LiquidSky

Throw ALL the stuff that's on the floor into big plastic bags but sort them out as you go. All the clothes that are on the floor into one big bag. All random small things into another, shoes into another, books, etc. once everything is into bags (if it's still too crowded in there, take them out to another room) then vacuum, etc. then later, you can go through each bag & sort things out & put them where you want them to go. Maybe you simply have too much that can't all fit in your room, so you have to put them into another room or the garage or somewhere else to be able to have space in your room & to be able to keep it clean, otherwise, it's always going to be a mess I'm afraid. Good luck! I dislike cleaning too.

My room just needs a vacuum and dusting and perhaps I should change the sheets and blankets since the dog sleeps with me lol the rest of the room has no junk and is tidy but I just get sick of dust where I live

• 1 month later...

Yea get over it and clean your room and quit being a slob. Not trying to be hateful but my mom did the same and now i appreciate it becuase my place is clean for my friends to come over to. It may be a drag now but later you will appreciate what she did.