✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What rating will Pitchfork give to Ghost Stories?

WeddingDom

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kmm1482
Guys they gave AROBTTH a 5.1. I wouldn't care if Jesus himself writes the reviews, that score make anything they say invalid.

Agreed. In my opinion, AROBTTH is their all-around best album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitchfork only has one individual review an album and I think they rotate reviewers for artists every album. They are hard-pressed to give many albums good scores, but I usually agree when they give great reviews. Truth is, some of them probably like Coldplay and others don't. The GS reviewer clearly doesn't, whereas the MX reviewer clearly just had a taste for that power alternative pop sound. People harp on pitchfork for being hipster and hating the mainstream, but often times they give the mainstream albums the best reviews: Beyonce, Yeezus, Lorde. I don't worry about one reviewers opinion though. There are a lot of people who like to hate on Coldplay. That is why I prefer metacritic or rotten tomatoes for my reviews. they are more of a consensus which we can listen to.

Was it seriously necessary to do this? Now they're just being trolls. It can't be for anything other than for hipster click-bait

I agree. I guess they just want attention.

I'm always amazed how much hate an album can create :lol: It's just music folks, nothing serious alright? It's not like we're discussing something worldshaking here...

I just listened to the podcast and really, what is so disagreeable about it? I mean, these guys all are not Coldplay haters, two of them seem to love Viva, Parachutes and a Rush just as much as most coldplayers. Obviously they really really don't like Ghost Stories, and I disagree with their overall assessment, but the points they make are often valid. Here are a few of their criticisms that I am completely in agreement with:

Usually Martin's somewhat poor lyricism is negligible because of the incredibly emotive music going on in the background. On Ghost Stories, we don't get that very much.

Coldplay is amazing at taking ideas and sounds from other bands and making it their own in a unique and wonderful way. In Ghost Stories they try to replicate themselves largely, and it sometimes comes off flat.

Lyrically the album is somewhat excusable considering Chris' circumstances, but at the same time, we don't know really what he is singing about specifically, and that distances the singer from the audience, the ideas aren't necessarily universal here like with other albums.

Coldplay does have grit and big rock-band caliber, but on Ghost Stories, they don't use Will Champion and some of their best elements enough.

All of the things people hate Coldplay for (lyrics, mopy sound, not enough teeth) are all on the forefront on Ghost Stories, and unfortunately critics will rip it apart, which is too bad because we all know Coldplay can do better.

Even though this review is unnecessarily harsh, there are a few things I agree with.

- X&Y as their worst album

- Ink as the worst track off GS

- Their best days are behind them

I truly believe Viva was their peak. They might surprise me with LP7, but I think they're past their recording prime. Don't get me wrong though, Ghost Stories is one of my favorites already.

Every album is their prime.

It's still amazing that they still haven't made a bad album

I just listened to the podcast and really, what is so disagreeable about it? I mean, these guys all are not Coldplay haters, two of them seem to love Viva, Parachutes and a Rush just as much as most coldplayers. Obviously they really really don't like Ghost Stories, and I disagree with their overall assessment, but the points they make are often valid. Here are a few of their criticisms that I am completely in agreement with:

Usually Martin's somewhat poor lyricism is negligible because of the incredibly emotive music going on in the background. On Ghost Stories, we don't get that very much.

Coldplay is amazing at taking ideas and sounds from other bands and making it their own in a unique and wonderful way. In Ghost Stories they try to replicate themselves largely, and it sometimes comes off flat.

Lyrically the album is somewhat excusable considering Chris' circumstances, but at the same time, we don't know really what he is singing about specifically, and that distances the singer from the audience, the ideas aren't necessarily universal here like with other albums.

Coldplay does have grit and big rock-band caliber, but on Ghost Stories, they don't use Will Champion and some of their best elements enough.

All of the things people hate Coldplay for (lyrics, mopy sound, not enough teeth) are all on the forefront on Ghost Stories, and unfortunately critics will rip it apart, which is too bad because we all know Coldplay can do better.

I don't know, these are all very reasonable and thought-out criticisms. It just seems like people are mad because they don't think the album is the best thing in the world. Nothing they've said so far contradicts this perception.