✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

O - your review

Sparky

I am compiling an ultimate Coldplaying fan review of Ghost Stories.

It will be posted on the main site shortly after the best review for each song on the album is picked, your name will be listed in credit should your review be chosen! Closing date is Monday 26th May

Get your writing fingers ready! Good luck! :)

You can also vote in the poll too, out of 10 which will be interesting as its usually only when a pre-album single is released.

Fly On is a lovely piano send off for Ghost Stories. Chris' attempt at unconditional love is very much founded here. Lyrically and through his piano, the track is incredibly beautiful and heartfelt. While it may not stand up in emotion to other piano driven tracks from Coldplay like The Scientist, Postcards From Far Away, or more recently, Atlas, it still will be moving a lot of hearts. Better, is O, the final 1:30 minute ending that I only wish was longer. The angel wings flying away essentially, O is electronic and instrumental atmosphere that elevates the listener and is distinctly unique among Coldplay's discography.

9/10

The most laid back song in the album is probably its best. O starts with a heartbreaking piano riff while Chris compares love with a flock of birds. The piano riff is so beautiful and Chris' voice is so perfect throughout the song that I could sign off by saying that it is one of the best recordings the band has made. Guy, Jonny and Will barely appear in this one, but their add-ons lift the song as usual. The honesty of the lyrics and the emotion of the song evoke Fix You, to which it will be compared surely. The production once again is top of the notch, and you can actually hear some birds in the distance during the song's climax, while Chris signs the penultimate message of the album: "Maybe one day I can fly with you", clearly evoking a message of loss but also of love. And then, a beautiful piece of music sets the tone for the end, while Chris, plus someone very special to him, sing: "Don't ever let go". Definitely the best song of the album and probably a not-so-known Coldplay fan favorite in the years to come.

10/10.

Probably better described as the hidden gem of Ghost Stories, O (Fly On) is the true heart breaker of the album; delicately placed at the end to leave what ever is left of your composure (and dignity) in ruins. It is beautiful from start to finish. A simple piano riff runs throughout, played with such sensitivity it is as if Chris is plucking at your own heart strings. The hook ("A flock of birds") used as a metaphor to how love can land in some places temporarily but, inevitably, must eventually take off, leaving nothing behind but fond memories of how they moved in unison and how beautiful it was. The chorus (" And I always look up to the sky, pray before the dawn") represents on how Chris is left alone, casting about for something he cherished so much and praying for it to return to him. He then slips so easily and proficiently back into his falsetto, cooing: "Cause they fly always, one minute they arrive, next you know they're gone...they Fly On." Again, he is emphasising on how inevitable it is that love will always end. He then alters the piano chord scheme ever so slightly before exclaiming: "Maybe one day, I can fly with you." This is him looking to the future and how he is not suitable enough to fly among those he has lost and how it will take time for him in order to learn how to love again. The outro (O) is a stunning piece of music. It follows the intro of the album, making the album loop, only in this case, Apple Martin and her friend: Mabel Krichefski are the lead singers. This is something very precious as Chris and Gwyneth often keep the children behind closed doors in order to protect them, but Chris making this exception makes it sound astounding. Guy providing a small subtle bass line with the two girls whispering: "Don't ever let go" something of a catch phrase off Chris' own father. This makes the outro sound haunting, almost creepy, but unique and inspiring at the same time. In conclusion, my personal favourite emotive song of the past decade, on par with Fix You and The Scientist and just below Politik in my opinion. A lovely song that combines the old with new in such a way, it cannot be put into words. An absolute work of art!

10/10

Beautiful piano, beautiful lyrics, gorgeous atmosphere. It brings me to tears whenever I hear it. Chris' vocal performance on O is the best it has ever been and the lyrics encapsulate the whole album and closes this era perfectly. Possibly the best song Coldplay have ever recorded, definitely in the top 5.

10/10

"O"

Coldplay brings another beautiful piano ballad and these things are the reason why I fell in love with this band. Chris' voice is so good on this one. Fly on just hits my emotions. And I love that they use birds theme on this song (just like Up with the birds). There is nothing more to say - perfect.

I love this song.

It'd be a perfect 10 if there was just one more subtle texture added to the shape of the song - but it can't put my finger on it right now.

But amen to the lyrical analysis.....and i'm very happy to say it's my favorite track of the album.

oldplay, somehow, never makes a bad album closer. There has never been a single album closer, in my opinion, that has been anything less than great -- and O continues that trend. When the album was first announced, I was most excited to hear O based off of absolutely nothing. I guess my intuition was right, because damn what a track.

O, aside from being a fantastic way to wrap the album, is the second song in Coldplay's discography to ever make me get close to crying. My eyes were completely hazed over with tears as the song came to a close. I was entranced by myself due to the fact this was not what I was expecting when I started the song! In hindsight, I love that it caused such emotion. I missed having highly emotional Coldplay songs.

That said, O just did not -- and has not -- replicate(d) the same emotions out of me on further listens. It's not that I hate it at all, but the strongest and most powerful part seems to be less now. But, I think that's normal with songs as you keep listening, so I'm not at all complaining.

Everything about the reprise is just brilliant, and I rate that in itself a perfect 5/5. It's like The Escapist but much better, and much more powerful still.

4.5/5

To close off the album, listeners are treated to a surprising double bill. It’s only listed as being one song but don’t be fooled! There are two songs here to enjoy.

The first one, Fly On, can be applied to one of my favourite sayings - “Less is best”. The main part of this song is Martin playing a gentle melody on the piano. After the optimistic A Sky Full Of Stars, the lyrics found here go back to a very melancholic state. The whole song is a metaphor about how love is like a flock of birds flying away. Touching but very sad.

What I enjoy most about this song is the contribution from Buckland, Berryman and Champion. Buckland is making bird like noises on the guitar, Berryman is gently plucking his bass and Champion is doubling up by singing in harmony whilst producing some very quiet guitar through an e-bow. Whilst Martin solo sounds outstanding, the contribution from the other three is what makes this song.

After a two and a half minute wait, O comes to life. Listeners may be fooled as to thinking it sounds like the start of the album again. However, this time there is a gentle bass line present and extra vocals. The one lyric - “Don’t ever let go” - is a three way harmony between Martin, his daughter and her friend. By far, this is the most angelic part on the whole album and it is the perfect way to bring the album to nice, ethereal end.

Coldplay have always had an uncanny knack of ending an album brilliantly (best one is still Up With The Bird) and O is no exception.

RATING - 5/5

• 4 months later...