✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2014-09-10] Coldplay Live at 'Target' event

Sparky

This has slipped under the radar (no mention anywhere)! Thanks to Coeurli for spotting this on an Instagram vid. It seems that Coldplay are playing or have played at a 'Target' (US retailer) event this evening!

Any more info is much appreciated :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Short videos that have surfaced show the band have at least played Yellow, ASFOS and Paradise. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Target?src=hash">#Target</a> C</p>— Coldplay News (@coldplaying) <a href="https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/509826171560017920">September 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/coldplaying">@coldplaying</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/coldplay">@coldplay</a> ok I found out its a Target Employees Conclave they have yearly, tho they got Coldplay to play for them this year</p>— Melissa (@jammtarts1874) <a href="https://twitter.com/jammtarts1874/status/509827870773223424">September 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/coldplaying">@coldplaying</a> they also played viva la vida. I was there</p>— Steve Nikkola (@SteveNikkola) <a href="https://twitter.com/SteveNikkola/status/509827941300436992">September 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

Incredible. They said that they didn't want to do a big tour this time and I understand why, but they skipped entire CONTINETS. Look at the crowd during ASFOS, 90% of them isn't moving, they're just standing still. These people get to see them but millions of fans didn't. I know it has probably to do with a bunch of contracts they signed but they just keep disappointing me lately. I hope they ddin't consider this a good show

idk but the USA got like twenty shows and the last time coldplay was in italy was in 2012. Guy just did all the journey to come here and buy a ferrari but wont play for us

im sorry but im not okay with that, you dont understand what it means to miss a whole era of a band cause they sold out to target and care more about USA than any other country

idk but the USA got like twenty shows and the last time coldplay was in italy was in 2012. Guy just did all the journey to come here and buy a ferrari but wont play for us

im sorry but im not okay with that, you dont understand what it means to miss a whole era of a band cause they sold out to target and care more about USA than any other country

I'm so sorry

and angry... why coldplay, just why?

I think that gig wise, this era they really only wanted to do a few small shows and LA and the US gave them lots of convenient opportunities for that. Doing small gigs everywhere, whilst AMAZING, didn't make sense financially or given that they wanted to keep most of this era on the down low - well, on a Coldplay scale at least. They didn't feel it was right to promote it like their other album.

It's annoying from a fan point of view, it's frustrating, it's unfair, but from the band's point of view it does make sense.

What bothers me here is the Target deal - and the fact it actually had consequences: i feel it's just not a coincidence that Chris couldn't perform at the Invictus Games a song that he wrote. And that's just wrong on so many levels.

I think that gig wise, this era they really only wanted to do a few small shows and LA and the US gave them lots of convenient opportunities for that. Doing small gigs everywhere, whilst AMAZING, didn't make sense financially or given that they wanted to keep most of this era on the down low - well, on a Coldplay scale at least. They didn't feel it was right to promote it like their other album.

It's annoying from a fan point of view, it's frustrating, it's unfair, but from the band's point of view it does make sense.

What bothers me here is the Target deal - and the fact it actually had consequences: i feel it's just not a coincidence that Chris couldn't perform at the Invictus Games a song that he wrote. And that's just wrong on so many levels.

No sorry but that doesnt make sense, Italy has as many little venues as USA, what could have costed them to do a show here? Or in Latin America? They promised a tour for them but now they will only play for Target. Its not like if they played in Italy or other few countries too the album would have lost its low key advertising. As they played in USA the same would have been in any other given country. And another thing if they really wanted a low key thing why playing mostly in USA the less low key advertized country in the world?

Im sorry but im really pissed off right now

The places they picked don't make sense though, 4 gigs in Western Europe, 0 in Central Europe, 0 in Eastern Europe, 1 in Japan, 0 in the rest of Asia, 0 (!) in Latin America, like 20 in LA, 0 in Canada. I'd rather want no shows at all for this album, even though I did get to see them and it was absolutely amazing

about the second paragraph: :nod:

Well, he didnt actually write the words to that song, its a poem from William Henley from 1887...Chris just wrote the score/music to it...but...IMHO, it came out a month ago ish that they were going to do iHeartRadio, then we heard a sprinkling of US shows ( hence this Target one ) and now another secret show on 18th, and the one at the Ace Hotel on 17th....I still maintain the thought the new CD is coming out end November and they will do a 2015 tour, starting with Latin America, moving to the UK in time for summer Festival season, then moving to US in Autumn...I think this time they are going to try and hit many many places they havent in a while. But what the heck do I know lol

I was there, been to many of these events. When artists have exclusive deals with Target, often times part of the deal is to perform at a company event. And yes, 90% of the time at these events, the majority of the audience is just standing around...these are not Coldplay super fans. But I'm sure the artists expect that reaction...even so the band got a good response and they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

This is not a real show and should not have any effect on other tour plans or anything. Looking at their upcoming schedule, I would say this was just an easy warmup for them ahead of the iTunes festival on the 19th. I doubt they would agree to perform if it had any serious effect on the rest of their plans.

I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay, but I wanted to pop in here and give some information since I know I would appreciate it on the band forums I frequent. I forget the order of the setlist, but Yellow was first, ASFOS was last.

Chris' voice sounded great. He came out wearing a black shirt and jeans (? or other dark pants) and proceeded to take off his shirt to put on a Red Target polo. Underneath his jeans he had on a pair of Khakis (Target store dress code is Red and Khaki). This isn't a "show" I expected the band would take too seriously, but it was entertaining and I enjoyed it. It beats the alternative of sitting in the office for the afternoon.

There were a couple funny moments - while on the piano at the end of one of the songs (Clocks? reminder - i'm not a huge fan so I don't remember if he was on piano for any other songs), he was just like "Oh Shit" and stopped cause he messed something up. They started back up again though and finished it off. Also, during ASFOS, he was talking to the crowd and then for a second forgot the words cause he said he was distracted. For a novice fan, it was a fine performance, but as they said they hadn't played for a while and they were just having a good time.

Taylor swift was on before them and commented how she was so happy to work with Target which helped sell 1 million copies of her "Red" album. During Coldplay's set, Chris commented how they have sold a whole "7 or 8" copies of their album.

I can understand the frustration...if I heard that Jack White had performed at some exclusive event like this and saw less than deserving fans got to see him, I would be pissed. But this is the way of corporate/music deals.

I was there, been to many of these events. When artists have exclusive deals with Target, often times part of the deal is to perform at a company event. And yes, 90% of the time at these events, the majority of the audience is just standing around...these are not Coldplay super fans. But I'm sure the artists expect that reaction...even so the band got a good response and they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

This is not a real show and should not have any effect on other tour plans or anything. Looking at their upcoming schedule, I would say this was just an easy warmup for them ahead of the iTunes festival on the 19th. I doubt they would agree to perform if it had any serious effect on the rest of their plans.

I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay, but I wanted to pop in here and give some information since I know I would appreciate it on the band forums I frequent. I forget the order of the setlist, but Yellow was first, ASFOS was last.

Chris' voice sounded great. He came out wearing a black shirt and jeans (? or other dark pants) and proceeded to take off his shirt to put on a Red Target polo. Underneath his jeans he had on a pair of Khakis (Target store dress code is Red and Khaki). This isn't a "show" I expected the band would take too seriously, but it was entertaining and I enjoyed it. It beats the alternative of sitting in the office for the afternoon.

There were a couple funny moments - while on the piano at the end of one of the songs (Clocks? reminder - i'm not a huge fan so I don't remember if he was on piano for any other songs), he was just like "Oh Shit" and stopped cause he messed something up. They started back up again though and finished it off. Also, during ASFOS, he was talking to the crowd and then for a second forgot the words cause he said he was distracted. For a novice fan, it was a fine performance, but as they said they hadn't played for a while and they were just having a good time.

Taylor swift was on before them and commented how she was so happy to work with Target which helped sell 1 million copies of her "Red" album. During Coldplay's set, Chris commented how they have sold a whole "7 or 8" copies of their album.

I can understand the frustration...if I heard that Jack White had performed at some exclusive event like this and saw less than deserving fans got to see him, I would be pissed. But this is the way of corporate/music deals.

Nicely said matey and thanks for a little taste of what you got to see, in saying you werent a huge fan, you wouldnt happen to remember what songs were played or even how many? Thanks again :)

Nicely said matey and thanks for a little taste of what you got to see, in saying you werent a huge fan, you wouldnt happen to remember what songs were played or even how many? Thanks again :)

Yellow, Clocks, Viva La Vida, Paradise, ASFOS. If I had to guess, I'd say that was the order, but don't quote me on that.

Five songs was actually a lot better than most artists do at these events. Taylor only did 3, which is more typical.