✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

i miss coldplay

TF5092

the old coldplay. they have been gone for a while and unfortunately I don't think they're coming back...

I miss them too :( not to say their new music is not good, it's just different but I still appreciate it nonetheless. never say never.

Me too. I miss the powerful melodies, honest emotions,strong guitar lines and the general non-electronic/synth feel of the older songs. I miss the way Chris was just so embarassed and innocent back in these days in interviews and jumped around the stage like an awkward maniac during shows. And I miss his earlier voice on the EPs till X&Y - something about it has changed since (with GS being the low point so far) I can't quite put my finger on it but it has changed !

R.I.P. Oldplay (1996-2008)

While the music has certainly changed, for me it is more than that. It is about missing updates from Prospekt and Roadie #42. It is about a certain perceived togetherness of recording in London or Liverpool as opposed to...Malibu. Or following them from city to city on world tours, wondering if the set list will ever vary (not likely) but very excited when it does. It is about instrumentation and sounds as opposed to wondering how much of a concert is simply "pushing play." It is about the strobe lights of Politik, the confetti of Lovers in Japan, B and C stages, alternate versions, leaks, B-sides, covers, etc...Much of this has been gone, will it return?

Wow the way y'all write seems like Coldplay died or something :worried:

ANYWAYS, this thread is interesting... HERE ARE MORE THOUGHTS :anxious:

What I miss:

- regular studio updates, like, everything they did during VIVA: Roadie 42, Guy tweeting hipster pics, random tweets from the other bandmembers

- any sign of life basically. Nowadays they remain silent for a year and then they go "oh btw here's a song lel"

What I don't miss:

- THEIR OLD STYLE. I love We never Change, Daylight, X&Y, Life in Technicolor, Dont Let It Break Your Heart, Midnight. I'd be majorly pissed if they would just throw out one Parachutes/AROBTTH after another. For that I have the repeat button on my music playlist, thank you. I can understand though that some people fear they'll lose their 'style' completely. I don't think that's gonna happen.

- stupid music videos! =D

I am sure there will be an influx of info from them once the album comes out and they start to tour. The Oracle gives out info everyday and A Man seems to be tweeting a bit more. I bet they are just tying up all the loose ends. *twiddlesthumbsandlooksforvideosforodetohypno*

I like the melody of Ghost Story very much and Oceans was OK, too, but I just wanted to ask you all if anyone is bothered by Chris's different voice during MX and especially GS ? I can't be the only one who noticed the change. His voice was so pure and perfect earlier. It sounded so raspy and scratchy in GS and to me, his falsettos in Ghost Story or Oceans ("....disappear"/"meet me in blue sky..") were not even remotely comparable to the quality of his earlier falsettos either.

I must admit that along with the electronic/synth feel of recent times, this has bothered me the most.

I wonder what your opinions are about this ?

^ I also have a problem with his voice during the GS era in particular. For me, it actually made songs like Oceans, True Love, O and Ghost Story a bit less enjoyable.

I think his voice used to be a lot more fresh and raw and emotive. Think of the Scientist, Shiver, Speed of Sound or on the VLV album. He delivers those lyrics in all sorts of registers, using falsetto relatively sparingly to makes it stand out a lot more. Not only was his falsetto perfect, but it was really emotional. I would even argue that on MX his falsetto was evened out with unique production to keep it fresh.

On GS however, the production focused a lot on the purity of his voice in vapid sonic spaces and he seemed to really love that Falsetto. He pretty much stays in the same high register for all of True Love and Oceans and even O, which comes off to me as super overdone and kind of unattractive--especially on True Love! I am in love the instrumental on Ghost Story, but when he does that "...disappear!!!!!!!!!!" it is just way too much...

Chris has a wonderful voice with a lot of interesting ranges. I love his falsetto moments, but I think that it is best used sparingly. Overall Chris disappointed me vocally on GS because of his falsetto and seemingly lack of the emotion. O should make me cry but honestly his performance in the studio doesn't convince me. I really hope we get some interesting, fresh, and old-style vocal performances on LP7

^ I also have a problem with his voice during the GS era in particular. For me, it actually made songs like Oceans, True Love, O and Ghost Story a bit less enjoyable.

I think his voice used to be a lot more fresh and raw and emotive. Think of the Scientist, Shiver, Speed of Sound or on the VLV album. He delivers those lyrics in all sorts of registers, using falsetto relatively sparingly to makes it stand out a lot more. Not only was his falsetto perfect, but it was really emotional. I would even argue that on MX his falsetto was evened out with unique production to keep it fresh.

On GS however, the production focused a lot on the purity of his voice in vapid sonic spaces and he seemed to really love that Falsetto. He pretty much stays in the same high register for all of True Love and Oceans and even O, which comes off to me as super overdone and kind of unattractive--especially on True Love! I am in love the instrumental on Ghost Story, but when he does that "...disappear!!!!!!!!!!" it is just way too much...

Chris has a wonderful voice with a lot of interesting ranges. I love his falsetto moments, but I think that it is best used sparingly. Overall Chris disappointed me vocally on GS because of his falsetto and seemingly lack of the emotion. O should make me cry but honestly his performance in the studio doesn't convince me. I really hope we get some interesting, fresh, and old-style vocal performances on LP7

Yes I noticed that, too. He sounds really really passionate in the older songs, without falsettoing all over the place. It might be just because of his age, or his state of mind for this change of vocal performance :shrug:

Oh yes, lenny, thanks for mentioning True Love. I also found the voice very irritating there, and agree it comes off as overdone and the whole song thus appears to be less "honest", less convincing to me ! It might really be due to his getting older, too, as Batman said, although I must admit I'd have hoped that process sets in only with the Fifties or something.... ;)

A tiny spark of hope, it sounded a bit smoother again in Miracles than on most GS songs, so maybe he still can do it...

By the way, i think one of the best voice samples (alright, there is many from earlier times !) is his voice in Gravity....

EDIT: yes, I never quite understood how great songs such as I ran away, Gravity, Things I don't understand etc. ended up as B-sides ! They are among their best. They should aim for more "B-Sides", lol

Maybe AHFOD is the ending but the beginning of something ...perhaps the B-sides type tracks will now become the strength rather than the background [emoji120] Gravity [emoji7] Ghost Story [emoji7] So many brilliant ones....[emoji91]

I hope ahfod won't be electronic like mylo or gs. That's what really bugged me. mylo's sound was cool and all but when gs was released and it had electronic sounds again, i didn't like that very much.

How tides control the sea and what becomes of me

How little things can slip out of your hands

How often voices change, no falsetto stays the same

Why this great song as a B-Side just would end

These are things that no fan understands

Yeah, these are things that no fan understands

This thread is so melodramatic.

I agree with what Ben Affleck, I mean Batman, said. I miss their old ways of keeping us updated, but not so much their old sound. Everything is good for a season, then it needs to be upgraded.

^ Yeah, it is great to be sentimental and reminisce on the past, but one day we will be reminiscing on MX and GS and missing the sounds and sights of those eras!

I would say that my greatest hope is that somewhere there is a vault filled with demos, instrumentals, and B-sides and Coldplay decides to release them all one day. I am really excited to see where out new era takes us, but having some throwback sounds would be really reassuring to a Coldplay fine who is more fond of their work in the 2000's!

• Like 1

By the way, i think one of the best voice samples (alright, there is many from earlier times !) is his voice in Gravity....

EDIT: yes, I never quite understood how great songs such as I ran away, Gravity, Things I don't understand etc. ended up as B-sides ! They are among their best. They should aim for more "B-Sides", lol

I agree 100%. The B-sides are freaking masterpieces °____°

I agree with what Ben Affleck, I mean Batman, said..

awesome2plz.gif?1

Wow the way y'all write seems like Coldplay died or something :worried:

ANYWAYS, this thread is interesting... HERE ARE MORE THOUGHTS :anxious:

What I miss:

- regular studio updates, like, everything they did during VIVA: Roadie 42, Guy tweeting hipster pics, random tweets from the other bandmembers

- any sign of life basically. Nowadays they remain silent for a year and then they go "oh btw here's a song lel"

What I don't miss:

- THEIR OLD STYLE. I love We never Change, Daylight, X&Y, Life in Technicolor, Dont Let It Break Your Heart, Midnight. I'd be majorly pissed if they would just throw out one Parachutes/AROBTTH after another. For that I have the repeat button on my music playlist, thank you. I can understand though that some people fear they'll lose their 'style' completely. I don't think that's gonna happen.

- stupid music videos! =D

I couldn't agree more with this. I really miss their studio updates and other silly stuff :(