✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-07-21] Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO

jc90

[ATTACH=full]5376[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5377[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5379[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5380[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5381[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5384[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5385[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5384[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5385[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5376[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5377[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5379[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5380[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5381[/ATTACH] Here are some of the better pictures I took. Incredible show and fantastic setlist!

• Like 1

I can't believe it's been a week since the show already! I wanted to post my review sooner, but I left for a flight just hours after the show and just got back home yesterday. What a crazy week it's been. Anyways, for the important part: my review.

As I've probably said before, this was my first Coldplay concert since June of 2012 in Dallas, and my second Coldplay show altogether. (I had tickets for the front row in Minneapolis in 2012 but couldn't make that one and I'm still a little bitter about that one.) Leading up to this, I was telling friends, and myself, that when I saw them four years ago, I was still very timid around the public and was ultimately too afraid to really let loose and have fun hearing my favorite band play in front of me. I didn't want to be like that again, even though my personality is a total 180 from what it was back then - and I'm happy to say I had the time of my life.

I met with a Coldplay friend before the show and we went together. I didn't get to see Foxes, but I did get to see Alessia Cara! She was (cute as fuck) and also really good. I was genuinely surprised. She worked the crowd better than most openers I've seen, and most of the people were pretty into it. I was sitting about ten rows or so back from the end of the catwalk, and even now, I'm surprised at how well my view was. You could easily make out everyone on stage without feeling like you were miles away.

My row was fucking great. The lady to the right and left of me were incredibly psyched (although, the one to the right of me left halfway through for some reason) and we immediately got along. When the Charlie Chaplin intro started, the place went wild. I think it was around this time that I realized fate hates me and handed me probably the only Xyloband in the entire arena that didn't work. :-) I remember looking down in shock and horror, yelling to the lady next to me, and both of us going, "NOOOO!" Seriously, that was the worst luck ever and I'm still a bit sad it didn't properly work. I took out the piece of paper and everything. :-(

Anyways -- the show itself. Wow. WOW. I'd had A Head Full of Dreams stuck in my head for a while before the show, but now I can't even get it out of my head. The energy is eclectic and without a doubt, it's one of their best live openers (behind Hurts Like Heaven and Square One). Everyone loved it, even the people who didn't know the song before right then.

One of the bigger surprises of the night was how little the crowd was into Birds. I get that it's not a single or a big hit, but you could tell most people just had never heard of it before, so they were like, "What do we do?" I'm biased, because it's in my top five Coldplay songs of all-time, so of course I was dancing and singing at the top of my lungs, but it was one of maybe two or three "quiet" times with the audience. Not so much where it was awkward, but enough to make a difference.

I'm also so in love with Hymn For The Weekend now for the first time since the album came out seven months ago. I fucking love it, and I take back all of my previous comments about it being a really bland song live. I definitely didn't expect it to be one of the highlights of the show beforehand!

Even though I religiously follow the setlists, I made myself stop for a while and I'm glad I did. I knew Always In My Head would be a possibility, but you have no idea how happy I was to actually hear it live. Especially seeing it up so close, I felt like I was totally starstruck. I didn't think it was possible, but I love it even more now. The B-stage set was very nice, albeit the Chris-only version of Everglow which was the only thing I don't think works as well as it could. It's still a pretty song, but for me, the studio version and early-tour version was how it should be played. But even then, it wasn't bad at all!

Charlie Brown is a song I refuse to listen to on the record but oh my Lord is it incredible live. (I said the same thing in 2012, too!) The A-stage set with all the hits is just so much fucking fun. I can't even put it into words properly. On paper, the same setlist looks dated maybe, but seeing it in live is a totally different beast. Adventure of a Lifetime, a song I already admire, pretty much made my entire section rock their socks off, and of course Viva made everyone in the arena go deaf. Seriously, I could see the same show seven days straight and still feel so ecstatic as the first time.

When the lights went off for the C-stage, I quickly realized, "COLDPLAY IS ABOUT TO RUN RIGHT PAST ME." And they did. And I think I died. They were probably six feet away from me. Hearing them is one thing, seeing them from afar is another, but running right past your face? Holy shit. All I remember is smiling like an idiot for about, I dunno, forever. I had requested Swallowed In The Sea (if I hadn't had deleted the video, I'd post it here!) but knew they wouldn't do it, so I wasn't upset at all that they did Green Eyes instead. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face was genuinely great to see, especially with Chris' use of pedals as the rest of the band walked back to the main stage. You just don't see enough of Chris doing cool guitar tricks.

(Did anyone else hear Faith Hill was in the audience? I could have sworn Chris said that between Green Eyes and GPASUYF, because he pointed somewhere behind me and said something like, "Thank you to the wonderful Faith Hill for coming out to see tonight." I looked around and saw no mention of it, so I think I'm going crazy?)

I have no idea if Christ does this for every show, but Chris spent the entire first half of Amazing Day taking his time walking on the floor high-fiving, singing with and interacting with the crowd. It was genuinely one of the coolest things I've ever seen done live, and it reminded me a lot of the famous Fix You run in 2009. People ate that shit up obviously, and it's yet another reminder why I love this band so much.

A Sky Full of Stars -- wow. Wow. I never disliked it, but I never really fully appreciated it, I guess, because that was also one of the most amazing moments of the night. "I don't care, go on and tear me apart," pretty much made me go wild and I can't think of a better penultimate closer to introduce Up&Up. Which, of course, was better than any recording I had ever heard of it. The "believe in love" line still gets me emotional and once they left the stage I was just sort of standing there in shock and awe.

It's been a week, and I still feel like saying, "It was great!" is a vast understatement. I don't really think I still have a proper word for it, but my original post here is still exactly how I feel. I was speechless, literally, for probably a solid two hours or so after the concert. My friend and I would try and talk about it and all we could say was, "...wow. WOW." (Recurring theme of the night.) Seriously, as great as the Mylo Xyloto Tour was, this one makes 2012 look pretty tame in comparison. It's a beautiful, energetic, love-filled set full of life, emotion and unity. Coldplay is, in my opinion, the best band alive at crowd interaction, and it genuinely appears like it comes as natural as humanly possible. I don't know how they do it, but I fucking love it.

A few notes:

- There were a few points I was (surprisingly) the loudest person in my entire section which is funny, because I generally don't do that well with large crowds. Literally all I cared about was having an amazing time, and I did just that. It made me kind of sad for the people in front of me who you can tell were dragged along and awkwardly standing there.

- I'm pretty tall, so I quickly discovered that I couldn't even jump up without knocking down people around me. Seriously, the chair space was so tiny you could hardly move if you were above-average height. :( So instead, I moved however else I could and in turn my left calf muscle hurt for like three straight days.

- AHFOD, Every Teardrop, Birds, Paradise (that remix is incredible), Charlie Brown, Hymn For The Weekend, Always In My Head, Magic, Midnight-Fix You, Viva, AOAL, the extended Kaleidoscope, GPASUYF, Amazing Day, ASFOS and Up&Up are the songs I'll never forget. So, so, so, so, so, so good. So good, okay?

- 11/10 concert. Coldplay is a one-of-a-kind band, and I feel very grateful I found them eight years ago.

So, there's my review. Sorry for it being so long!

• Like 8

@getithom I thought the same about HFTW. The album version is good (I didn't like it the first time I heard it though). But, when I listened to it live on the Brit awards I thought that it didn't work live. There was something missing. And the day I finally got to hear it live with the band just few metres away from me I realised I love it. Moreover, the confetti helps to enjoy it. Thanks for the review, it took me back to the amazing days I had when I went to the concert 3 months ago :)

• Like 1

@getithom I thought the same about HFTW. The album version is good (I didn't like it the first time I heard it though). But, when I listened to it live on the Brit awards I thought that it didn't work live. There was something missing. And the day I finally got to hear it live with the band just few metres away from me I realised I love it. Moreover, the confetti helps to enjoy it. Thanks for the review, it took me back to the amazing days I had when I went to the concert 3 months ago :)

Same! I also remember feeling like that with AOAL until I saw it live. I'm not saying either two will be my in my all-time favorites list, but ETIAW was a song I couldn't stand live until I saw it live in 2012. Now it's what I consider my second favorite Coldplay song. Funny how seeing a song live once can change your entire perception.

Glad I could help with the good memories. :)

• Like 1

I can't believe it's been a week since the show already! I wanted to post my review sooner, but I left for a flight just hours after the show and just got back home yesterday. What a crazy week it's been. Anyways, for the important part: my review.

As I've probably said before, this was my first Coldplay concert since June of 2012 in Dallas, and my second Coldplay show altogether. (I had tickets for the front row in Minneapolis in 2012 but couldn't make that one and I'm still a little bitter about that one.) Leading up to this, I was telling friends, and myself, that when I saw them four years ago, I was still very timid around the public and was ultimately too afraid to really let loose and have fun hearing my favorite band play in front of me. I didn't want to be like that again, even though my personality is a total 180 from what it was back then - and I'm happy to say I had the time of my life.

I met with a Coldplay friend before the show and we went together. I didn't get to see Foxes, but I did get to see Alessia Cara! She was (cute as fuck) and also really good. I was genuinely surprised. She worked the crowd better than most openers I've seen, and most of the people were pretty into it. I was sitting about ten rows or so back from the end of the catwalk, and even now, I'm surprised at how well my view was. You could easily make out everyone on stage without feeling like you were miles away.

My row was fucking great. The lady to the right and left of me were incredibly psyched (although, the one to the right of me left halfway through for some reason) and we immediately got along. When the Charlie Chaplin intro started, the place went wild. I think it was around this time that I realized fate hates me and handed me probably the only Xyloband in the entire arena that didn't work. :-) I remember looking down in shock and horror, yelling to the lady next to me, and both of us going, "NOOOO!" Seriously, that was the worst luck ever and I'm still a bit sad it didn't properly work. I took out the piece of paper and everything. :-(

Anyways -- the show itself. Wow. WOW. I'd had A Head Full of Dreams stuck in my head for a while before the show, but now I can't even get it out of my head. The energy is eclectic and without a doubt, it's one of their best live openers (behind Hurts Like Heaven and Square One). Everyone loved it, even the people who didn't know the song before right then.

One of the bigger surprises of the night was how little the crowd was into Birds. I get that it's not a single or a big hit, but you could tell most people just had never heard of it before, so they were like, "What do we do?" I'm biased, because it's in my top five Coldplay songs of all-time, so of course I was dancing and singing at the top of my lungs, but it was one of maybe two or three "quiet" times with the audience. Not so much where it was awkward, but enough to make a difference.

I'm also so in love with Hymn For The Weekend now for the first time since the album came out seven months ago. I fucking love it, and I take back all of my previous comments about it being a really bland song live. I definitely didn't expect it to be one of the highlights of the show beforehand!

Even though I religiously follow the setlists, I made myself stop for a while and I'm glad I did. I knew Always In My Head would be a possibility, but you have no idea how happy I was to actually hear it live. Especially seeing it up so close, I felt like I was totally starstruck. I didn't think it was possible, but I love it even more now. The B-stage set was very nice, albeit the Chris-only version of Everglow which was the only thing I don't think works as well as it could. It's still a pretty song, but for me, the studio version and early-tour version was how it should be played. But even then, it wasn't bad at all!

Charlie Brown is a song I refuse to listen to on the record but oh my Lord is it incredible live. (I said the same thing in 2012, too!) The A-stage set with all the hits is just so much fucking fun. I can't even put it into words properly. On paper, the same setlist looks dated maybe, but seeing it in live is a totally different beast. Adventure of a Lifetime, a song I already admire, pretty much made my entire section rock their socks off, and of course Viva made everyone in the arena go deaf. Seriously, I could see the same show seven days straight and still feel so ecstatic as the first time.

When the lights went off for the C-stage, I quickly realized, "COLDPLAY IS ABOUT TO RUN RIGHT PAST ME." And they did. And I think I died. They were probably six feet away from me. Hearing them is one thing, seeing them from afar is another, but running right past your face? Holy shit. All I remember is smiling like an idiot for about, I dunno, forever. I had requested Swallowed In The Sea (if I hadn't had deleted the video, I'd post it here!) but knew they wouldn't do it, so I wasn't upset at all that they did Green Eyes instead. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face was genuinely great to see, especially with Chris' use of pedals as the rest of the band walked back to the main stage. You just don't see enough of Chris doing cool guitar tricks.

(Did anyone else hear Faith Hill was in the audience? I could have sworn Chris said that between Green Eyes and GPASUYF, because he pointed somewhere behind me and said something like, "Thank you to the wonderful Faith Hill for coming out to see tonight." I looked around and saw no mention of it, so I think I'm going crazy?)

I have no idea if Christ does this for every show, but Chris spent the entire first half of Amazing Day taking his time walking on the floor high-fiving, singing with and interacting with the crowd. It was genuinely one of the coolest things I've ever seen done live, and it reminded me a lot of the famous Fix You run in 2009. People ate that shit up obviously, and it's yet another reminder why I love this band so much.

A Sky Full of Stars -- wow. Wow. I never disliked it, but I never really fully appreciated it, I guess, because that was also one of the most amazing moments of the night. "I don't care, go on and tear me apart," pretty much made me go wild and I can't think of a better penultimate closer to introduce Up&Up. Which, of course, was better than any recording I had ever heard of it. The "believe in love" line still gets me emotional and once they left the stage I was just sort of standing there in shock and awe.

It's been a week, and I still feel like saying, "It was great!" is a vast understatement. I don't really think I still have a proper word for it, but my original post here is still exactly how I feel. I was speechless, literally, for probably a solid two hours or so after the concert. My friend and I would try and talk about it and all we could say was, "...wow. WOW." (Recurring theme of the night.) Seriously, as great as the Mylo Xyloto Tour was, this one makes 2012 look pretty tame in comparison. It's a beautiful, energetic, love-filled set full of life, emotion and unity. Coldplay is, in my opinion, the best band alive at crowd interaction, and it genuinely appears like it comes as natural as humanly possible. I don't know how they do it, but I fucking love it.

A few notes:

- There were a few points I was (surprisingly) the loudest person in my entire section which is funny, because I generally don't do that well with large crowds. Literally all I cared about was having an amazing time, and I did just that. It made me kind of sad for the people in front of me who you can tell were dragged along and awkwardly standing there.

- I'm pretty tall, so I quickly discovered that I couldn't even jump up without knocking down people around me. Seriously, the chair space was so tiny you could hardly move if you were above-average height. :( So instead, I moved however else I could and in turn my left calf muscle hurt for like three straight days.

- AHFOD, Every Teardrop, Birds, Paradise (that remix is incredible), Charlie Brown, Hymn For The Weekend, Always In My Head, Magic, Midnight-Fix You, Viva, AOAL, the extended Kaleidoscope, GPASUYF, Amazing Day, ASFOS and Up&Up are the songs I'll never forget. So, so, so, so, so, so good. So good, okay?

- 11/10 concert. Coldplay is a one-of-a-kind band, and I feel very grateful I found them eight years ago.

So, there's my review. Sorry for it being so long!

I am so happy to read your review and glad you had a great time! I was actually trying to figure out where the C-stage was at your show, and found this video of Green Eyes, where Chris mentioned Faith Hill:

So, if you don't mind my asking, what section was the C-stage in? And was it right IN the seats, or in front of the section but raised up off of the floor? I'm looking at tickets for Pittsburgh, and trying to decide between a few seats that might be VERY close, but I can't quite figure out where the band is. Thanks so much!!

• Like 1