✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

50 killed in Florida nightclub terror attack

Batman

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/

Orlando, Florida (CNN)A gay nightclub here was the scene early Sunday of the worst terror attack in U.S. history since 9/11.

* 50 people were killed inside the Pulse club and at least 53 people were injured, police say.

* The gunman was Omar Mateen of Ft. Pierce, Florida, a law enforcement source told CNN.

* Orlando police shot and killed Mateen.

"It appears he was organized and well-prepared," Orlando Police Chief John Mina said early Sunday. The shooter had an assault-type weapon, a handgun and "some type of (other) device on him."

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack on jihadi forums, but ISIS sympathizers have reacted by praising the attack on pro-Islamic State forums.

Officials, aided by the FBI, warned that a lengthy investigation was ahead given the number of victims and the scope of the violence.

why is no one talking about this!?

why is no one talking about this!?

I think we're all kind of too in shock that something so aweful happend once again. I really don't know what to say or think right now, I just can't understand why humans are hurting each other all the time, violence will NEVER solve any problems.

^ yes indeed, I agree with you. I'm just.. speechless, and I need to know there are people out there that care about this. Even if it's just in this unimportant thread, this whole incident disturbs me deeply.

Guest diogo_sg

Unfortunately, things like this will keep happening throughout time. It's extremely sad to say that, but it's the truth. My heart is with all those who are suffering at the moment, not only in Orlando but all over the world. All we can do is trying to stay positive and strong - remember, for each terrible thing that happens, 42 wonderful ones will happen. Sending my love to everyone.

Sometimes I start to loose with in humanity, but then I think about what Chris always says, we are always changing for good, and it's true, even though really aweful things are happening right now, 100 or 200 years ago things were even worse.

Unfortunately I fear that we will never be able to completely stop violence against other beings, but we can all do our best to spread love and inspire other people to do the same and hope little things at a time will change for good.

Still, I can't understand how people can be so full of hate to actually kill others (who didn't even really do them anything). I just don't get it.

• Like 2

yeah, i do think most of us are just speechless and taken aback. i have a more pessimistic view of the world unfortunately, and although the human race has made tremendous steps for the better, i'm not too sure about the optimism chris has for the humans. damn it is such a bummed out mood to be in on your birthday!

• Like 1

yeah, i do think most of us are just speechless and taken aback. i have a more pessimistic view of the world unfortunately, and although the human race has made tremendous steps for the better, i'm not too sure about the optimism chris has for the humans. damn it is such a bummed out mood to be in on your birthday!

Is it today your birthday? Once a friend told us her family forgot her birthday on September 11, 2001. I know what you mean. Sometimes it feels like optimistic people lives in a bubble, who aren't aware of the bad things happening in the world. Sometimes I think I'm one of them, I prefer to pay attention to the wonderful things happening around me. But, today I don't know what to think. The only thing left is to keep working hard and not let anyone destroy our dreams. So, if today is your birthday I wish you a happy one :)

#BelieveInLove

• Like 2

Guest diogo_sg

Have a happy birthday, despite all the crazy stuff happening atm.

Is it today your birthday? Once a friend told us her family forgot her birthday on September 11, 2001. I know what you mean. Sometimes it feels like optimistic people lives in a bubble, who aren't aware of the bad things happening in the world. Sometimes I think I'm one of them, I prefer to pay attention to the wonderful things happening around me. But, today I don't know what to think. The only thing left is to keep working hard and not let anyone destroy our dreams. So, if today is your birthday I wish you a happy one :)

#BelieveInLove

I have a friend who was born that exact day too. And I know what you mean. I too feel that way sometimes, but there are other moments where I feel down (this being one of them), although I always try to keep my hope and positivity high.

Happy birthday! I hope you can still enjoy it a little despite all the awful things that happend [emoji4]

• Like 1

The bad things always stick more with us than the good things. And good things rarely get mentioned on the news, that's why we tend to get very pessimistic about this world. And it's easier to classify bad than good. We also love to bash people who find happiness in simple positive things, but in times like these, we should really remind ourselves that yes, indeed, this is horrible, but remember all of the good around us that we don't even appreciate anymore because we get used to it. Even small things are important, maybe not worthy of mentioning them at every given time, but they're still worth acknowledging.

• Like 2

I also tend to have a pessimistic view of the world... I've come to realize that it's not necessarily shocking events like these wherein people tend to suffer the most. There are so many people that suffer in silence every day — anxiety, loneliness, depression, pain, trauma, torture that some people put up with every day and that's killing them slowly, except it's hard to notice those people, and yet their pain is just as real. Unfortunately the victims of the mass shooting are not the only victims; the shooter must also have been a victim of either a deranged mind or inane religious beliefs passed down by his society. We are all victims of our own crazy minds. I think the best we can do is to be there for our fellow humans and make it just a little bit easier for them to get through a life that has the potential to be so cruel.

good points @guy42 ! reading that reminded me of one chris quote that is one of the most aware and powerful he has made. that "life is a consequence of geography" (paraphrasing). just think how many mass deaths occur all over the world every week, month. but most of these go unnoticed. the public outcry is a matter of geography too unfortunately. it is the sad state of the world.

• Like 1

I hope you found some moments in which to enjoy your birthday. It is a horrible thing that this fell on your birthday. Celebrate YOU this whole week!

• Like 1

Orlando Shooting: The World Mourns Victims in Incredible Photos

The victims of the Orlando shooting were remembered by mourners from London to South Korea.

Orlando-Shooting-Paris.jpg

Orlando-Shooting-2.jpg

The Orlando shooting victims were paid tribute to around the world yesterday, as supporters of those affected by the devastating tragedy in Florida gathered to pay their respects across the US, Europe and Asia.

The attack, which was carried out in the LGBT nightclub Pulse, saw cities from Paris, to London through to Seoul in South Korea all joining one another in respect of those who had lost their lives. The French capital lit up the Eiffel Tower in the colors of the rainbow (pictured, above), while citizens in Orlando held aloft candles at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts in an evening memorial service.

Brussels also lit up the heritage buildings on the Brussels Grand Place/Grote Mark with the colors of the LGBT rainbow flag.

Brussels also lit up the heritage buildings on the Brussels Grand Place/Grote Mark with the colors of the LGBT rainbow flag.

Orlando-Shooting-3.jpg

undreds packed out the streets of London, holding aloft banners reading "love wins" and carrying the rainbow flag throughout the English capital. The crowds gathered around the Admiral Duncan in Soho, an LGBT bar that was bombed in 1999 by a neo-Nazi, killing three people.

Orlando-Shooting-4.jpg

Even countries as far as South Korea joined America in mourning those who had been killed, with people in downtown Seoul gathering in an evening vigil.

Orlando-Shooting-5.jpg

Mourners in Hong Kong wrote messages in a book placed near a row of candles during the memorial service held in the Chinese city.

Orlando-Shooting-6.jpg

An Australian candlelit vigil was also held in Sydney.

Orlando-Shooting-7.jpg

Finally, a defiant fist was raised back on home soil, as LA remembered those who had lost their lives.

Orlando-Shooting-8.jpg

Though this new tragedy on US soil will linger for many years to come, the message echoed around the world was clear: love will win.

• Like 4

This broke my heart

Video emerges of Orlando shooting victim’s Atlanta performance

A man identified as one of the victims fatally shot by a gunman at Orlando LGBT nightclub Pulse was a dancer who performed at the 2014 Atlanta Bachata, and heartbreaking video has emerged of that performance.

Xavier Emmanuel Serrano Rosado, 35, performed as an exhibition dancer during the event, reports the AJC’s Jennifer Brett. She also spoke to the event’s director Jose Maldonado.

“I’ve been a dancer for 15 years. We’re all young and think we’re indestructible,” he told Brett. “The next thing you know, something like this happens. Somebody so full of life, so young and talented. It wasn’t his time. He had so many dreams.”

Maldonado tracked down video of Rosado’s performance, set to Coldplay’s “Fix You.” This is not an easy watch.

• Like 6