✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Any interest in a Climate Preservation project?

TheSavage_

So, as we all know nature is very important. We've only got one little ball called Earth after all.

With Coldplay being involved with Global Citizen, preserving this planet is on their calendar. And with all the projects you guys have managed to set up I thought it would be nice to start our own saving this planet project. I haven't yet had the time to fully think this through but I had some ideas like challenges to for example minimize the amount of plastic packaging you use. They don't need to be huge actions but together with a lot of people, small actions have a big impact already. Possibly creating the greenest fanbase a band ever had :) ! Ultimate goal would be getting the band/crew involved.

While this came up I thought about the fact that the love buttons at the concerts are handed out in little plastic bags while being handed out in numbers around and above 50000 buttons a night. It might be cool to work out the numbers like how much plastic can be saved by for example using less packaging.

So to start out I'd love to know if there is any support for this idea. Any input on ideas is amazingly welcome! If anyone is also interested in helping me set something up I'd be even more grateful! Let me know what you think!

(Post is a bit of a mess now I'll try to tidy up a bit)

Idea list:

A number of challenges on the forum:

• Minimizing plastic garbage
  • Skipping a day of eating meat for the meat eaters
  • Picking up trash littered and properly dispose of it (i.e. aiming for something like one/five/ten piece(s) of trash a day
  • Turning off unused electronics

Actions we can take as Coldplaying.com:

• Fund planting trees or something

• Like 4

So, as we all know nature is very important. We've only got one little ball called Earth after all.

With Coldplay being involved with Global Citizen, preserving this planet is on their calendar. And with all the projects you guys have managed to set up I thought it would be nice to start our own saving this planet project. I haven't yet had the time to fully think this through but I had some ideas like challenges to for example minimize the amount of plastic packaging you use. They don't need to be huge actions but together with a lot of people, small actions have a big impact already. Possibly creating the greenest fanbase a band ever had :) ! Ultimate goal would be getting the band/crew involved.

While this came up I thought about the fact that the love buttons at the concerts are handed out in little plastic bags while being handed out in numbers around and above 50000 buttons a night. It might be cool to work out the numbers like how much plastic can be saved by for example using less packaging.

So to start out I'd love to know if there is any support for this idea. Any input on ideas is amazingly welcome! If anyone is also interested in helping me set something up I'd be even more grateful! Let me know what you think!

(Post is a bit of a mess now I'll try to tidy up a bit)

Idea list:

A number of challenges on the forum:

• Minimizing plastic garbage
  • Skipping a day of eating meat for the meat eaters
  • Picking up trash littered and properly dispose of it (i.e. aiming for something like one/five/ten piece(s) of trash a day
  • Turning off unused electronics

Actions we can take as Coldplaying.com:

• Fund planting trees or something

I am so in on this. I love this kind of stuff and will support this project!

I recommend everyone start using Ecosia, it's just like your web browser now except the ad revenue (don't worry, the ads are very unobtrusive) goes towards planting trees. Isn't it amazing nowadays how you can help the environment just by installing something that will blend perfectly into your life on the Web? Trust me, try it. It's very easy and such a nice thing to do amongst all the big greedy corporations attempting to completely wreck our very home for money that in the end isn't going to matter one bit. (I swear I'm going to write a whole song about this one day.) The more people that start using Ecosia the better off our planet will be! :)

Hope a lot of people get in this. We need to realize that at least for now we only have this planet and we need to protect it the best we can. The more people the better this will be. Let's go :)

• Like 3

Great goal! I'm always glad when I see people that understand that humanity doesn't have unlimited resources and seek to help take care of our home planet Earth. I have a few suggestions on what each of us can do in our personal lives that will be effective for the planet.

First of all, I would like to point out that the meat, dairy, and egg industries are the #1 cause of greenhouse gas emissions and therefore climate change. In fact, those industries contribute about TWICE as much to climate change as all of transportation combined - buses, cars, ships, airplanes, etc. Not only that, but they are responsible for a lot of deforestation (cutting down forests) and a lot of other terrible things which you can read about here. Any discussion about improving the environment has to include the animal farming industries.

Action: Going vegan is the single most effective thing that you can do for the environment. This was actually my primary reason for going vegetarian (I later went vegan - you can read more about it in this thread).

Secondly, planet Earth only has so many resources, and huge amounts of energy are used when making products from raw materials.

Action: Recycling reduces the need for raw materials so that the rainforests can be preserved; this saves natural resources for future generations. It also reduces the financial expenditure in the economy. You can recycle things like food cans, metals (e.g. aluminum foil), electronics (light bulbs, batteries, TVs, cell phones), paper (cardboard, newspapers, magazines, juice cartons, books, junk mail), glass, clean plastic.

Also, reuse everything like water bottles, bags, etc!

Thirdly, we can use our money to: support environmentally-friendly businesses and practices, buy fewer things that we don't really need, purchase biodegradable items (paper over plastic), use more efficient light bulbs that last longer, buy recycled items whenever possible. OK, there are many things that can go into this category!

Fourthly, take care of animals and perhaps use your property to give them a place to go!

Fifthly, if you drive a car, drive sensibly.

Sixthly, I completely agree with planting more trees! Forests right now are quite endangered, so it is important that to take any opportunity to let the trees flourish!

These are just some of my ideas for being environmentally friendly. If enough of us come together, we can make the world better! :)

• Like 5

Great goal! I'm always glad when I see people that understand that humanity doesn't have unlimited resources and seek to help take care of our home planet Earth. I have a few suggestions on what each of us can do in our personal lives that will be effective for the planet.

First of all, I would like to point out that the meat, dairy, and egg industries are the #1 cause of greenhouse gas emissions and therefore climate change. In fact, those industries contribute about TWICE as much to climate change as all of transportation combined - buses, cars, ships, airplanes, etc. Not only that, but they are responsible for a lot of deforestation (cutting down forests) and a lot of other terrible things which you can read about here. Any discussion about improving the environment has to include the animal farming industries.

Action: Going vegan is the single most effective thing that you can do for the environment. This was actually my primary reason for going vegetarian (I later went vegan - you can read more about it in this thread).

Secondly, planet Earth only has so many resources, and huge amounts of energy are used when making products from raw materials.

Action: Recycling reduces the need for raw materials so that the rainforests can be preserved; this saves natural resources for future generations. It also reduces the financial expenditure in the economy. You can recycle things like food cans, metals (e.g. aluminum foil), electronics (light bulbs, batteries, TVs, cell phones), paper (cardboard, newspapers, magazines, juice cartons, books, junk mail), glass, clean plastic.

Also, reuse everything like water bottles, bags, etc!

Thirdly, we can use our money to: support environmentally-friendly businesses and practices, buy fewer things that we don't really need, purchase biodegradable items (paper over plastic), use more efficient light bulbs that last longer, buy recycled items whenever possible. OK, there are many things that can go into this category!

Fourthly, take care of animals and perhaps use your property to give them a place to go!

Fifthly, if you drive a car, drive sensibly.

Sixthly, I completely agree with planting more trees! Forests right now are quite endangered, so it is important that to take any opportunity to let the trees flourish!

These are just some of my ideas for being environmentally friendly. If enough of us come together, we can make the world better! :)

Great post! :)

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone else interested in saving the planet? :)

Scientists say that we have passed the dreaded 400ppm atmospheric carbon levels. Permanently.

This has so many bad consequences for us. I'm surprised that almost no one is talking about it, and I wish we could do something about it.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/goodbye-world-weve-passed-the-carbon-tipping-point-for-good

• Like 2

Guest diogo_sg

I'm definitely in!! I have already used Ecosia for a few months too, but I had some problems with my PC and didn't install it again, for some reason. So thanks for reminding me of it, @cp3176!

I usually buy eco-friendly things (well, I force my parents to do it - they support me on it, thankfully!!) and recycle as much as possible. Plus, the last pair of shoes I bought were Inkkas (go Ecoogle about them!) ;)

I love this idea, I'm definitely in!

I actually do most of these things already (separating garbage, turning off electronic things if I don't need them and not eating meat or any other animal products) but I'm probably guilty of producing too much plastic garbage... It's kind of hard for me to change that cause my mom usually buys our food and they don't worry so much about that but I'll se what I can do...

Separating the garbage is done really thoughtfully in my family though:D

I think part of being german is that you do lots of recycling and don't throw empty bottles on the street cause you don't wanna loose the money you would get for it:D

If it's possible with the water quality in your country I think it also makes sense to not buy bottled water but just drink tap water instead so you won't need any bottles. At least I do that.

• Like 3

I kind of forgot to mention one thing that perhaps most of us can do: support the politicians who care about the environment and who will take steps to move us away from fossil fuels and toward sustainable energy. In my case, that means that I will be supporting and voting for Green Party candidate Jill Stein.

She's just awesome :dazzled:

• Like 4

I kind of forgot to mention one thing that perhaps most of us can do: support the politicians who care about the environment and who will take steps to move us away from fossil fuels and toward sustainable energy. In my case, that means that I will be supporting and voting for Green Party candidate Jill Stein.

I'd vote for politicians who care about the environment as well but I can't vote yet:/

• Like 1

About the thing about the love buttons, maybe we should try to email coldplay about it? Our chance to get noticed is very low obviously but we could try.

They could easily use paper packaging instead.

And apart from that the drinks at the show are sold in plastic cups, they could change it to paper cups instead as well.

• Like 2

I'd vote for politicians who care about the environment as well but I can't vote yet:/

That's ok, but you can still spread the word, right? For example, you can use social media or tell your family about those political leaders and have them vote for them.

• Like 2

I am supporting Jill Stein as well ! (of course I am not a US Citizen and can't vote, but if I could she would be the only one I could vote for in the current election. Trump is out of the question of course, but Clinton is a bad choice imho.)

• Like 2

I am supporting Jill Stein as well ! (of course I am not a US Citizen and can't vote, but if I could she would be the only one I could vote for in the current election. Trump is out of the question of course, but Clinton is a bad choice imho.)

Yessssssssss I totally agree with you!

Hm.... so maybe we can give some ideas how to make Coldplay-related decorations with stuff that we usually throw out? Like not used sheets of paper from old notebooks, shoe boxes? I'm not sure whether it would be beneficial for the environment in any way but it shows how 'fun' reusing can be.

I have some other similar ideas to this one that are directly for Coldplayers, but I don't know if you want to make this project more for fans or more for everyone.

I like the idea with eliminating the plastic bags for love buttons. I think that if we really want to 'get rid of them', we should also contact with the organisation itself.

• Like 3

Anyone else interested in saving the planet? :)

Scientists say that we have passed the dreaded 400ppm atmospheric carbon levels. Permanently.

This has so many bad consequences for us. I'm surprised that almost no one is talking about it, and I wish we could do something about it.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/goodbye-world-weve-passed-the-carbon-tipping-point-for-good

I'm not sure "permanently" is the right word. It's not like for absolutely ever it's bad even after were long gone. But i do believe the levels are only getting worse.

Look, I'd love for someone like that to win, and it would be EPIC if they did, but unfortunately it's either gonna be Clinton or Trump. Clinton is obviously the much better choice even though she isn't perfect, but no politician is. She's done a few bad things. But compared to Trump?? Noooo wayyyyyyyyyy... It's sad to see Trump actually have a chance at winning the election considering the back to back awful things he's done. Mom says in the morning she wakes up to hear Trump yet again do something awful. If it was a little kid being an idiot fine but we simply cannot take someone as disgusting as he is for President. And the fact that he isn't going to accept the results unless he wins... I'm really scared for Nov 8. Whichever one wins there is going to be ultimate extreme outrage from either side, who knows what'll happen.. we've gotten ourselves into really bad spot now. Really really hope he don't win. If he does our world can say goodbye because mark my words this is a country involved in everything globally and If the wrong leader gets in the world can say goodbye unfortunately...

Look, I'd love for someone like that to win, and it would be EPIC if they did, but unfortunately it's either gonna be Clinton or Trump. Clinton is obviously the much better choice even though she isn't perfect, but no politician is. She's done a few bad things. But compared to Trump?? Noooo wayyyyyyyyyy... It's sad to see Trump actually have a chance at winning the election considering the back to back awful things he's done. Mom says in the morning she wakes up to hear Trump yet again do something awful. If it was a little kid being an idiot fine but we simply cannot take someone as disgusting as he is for President. And the fact that he isn't going to accept the results unless he wins... I'm really scared for Nov 8. Whichever one wins there is going to be ultimate extreme outrage from either side, who knows what'll happen.. we've gotten ourselves into really bad spot now. Really really hope he don't win. If he does our world can say goodbye because mark my words this is a country involved in everything globally and If the wrong leader gets in the world can say goodbye unfortunately...

This and

is exactly why I cannot bring myself to support Clinton. Not only will we have the global threat of climate change that has already begun affecting us, but she will not hesitate to start a world war. Her track record of violent acts also attests to this. Jill Stein should be the only option for any sane person.