✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Favourite Era Of Chris?

ThatGirlMyra

I'm sure this has been done before, so sorry if I'm copying you! But it's pretty simple: just comment your favourite year of Chris Martin, as he seems to change style and looks each year. If you want to divulge why, feel free!

My two personal favourites is Chris in 1999. He's just so adorably awkward in this time and is just really relatable. He also looked really cute. I love his fluffy hair.

The other is Viva La Vida era. I just really liked his style then (and his fluffy hair) He also seemed a bit more subdued at this time, too. Not that his boundless energy is a bad thing!

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree about his voice. I watched the live version of What If, and it was almost exactly the same as the studio version from literally 6 years earlier...

However, I wish that we got his Viva hair back, and his Clocks voice back...

• 3 years later...
On 8/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, ThatGirlMyra said:

I'm sure this has been done before, so sorry if I'm copying you! But it's pretty simple: just comment your favourite year of Chris Martin, as he seems to change style and looks each year. If you want to divulge why, feel free!

My two personal favourites is Chris in 1999. He's just so adorably awkward in this time and is just really relatable. He also looked really cute. I love his fluffy hair.

The other is Viva La Vida era. I just really liked his style then (and his fluffy hair) He also seemed a bit more subdued at this time, too. Not that his boundless energy is a bad thing!

2008-2009! Bc of the curls 🤍

• Love 1

2014-2015 I think is the first image of Chris I get in my head when I think of him. I think it was the Era he perfectly balanced his looks. Also it was the Era which they were making songs around his vocal abilities/style and limits, not the tracks they have in their minds and try to adapt sonically to them which I think is more complimenting to him. Like they took what Chris does best, he has a warm, charming almost soothing talking voice with sweet falsettos every now and then, pronounced vowels, distinctive pronunciation etc and made them all into tools and said "OK, what will we build around that?" which for me is the moment an artist is able to create flawless art that compliment them in all aspects, not just production wise or vocal abilities wise which alot of the times is where an artist's track balance tips into.

Edited by nowayme

To me it's definetely the experimental era from 2007 up to 2010. I really like the Viva look and persona (I mean the way he talked in interviews, his irony and self-deprecation. I love that.), both with long and shorter hair. I also love the look with 19th century-inspired jackets.

But I also really like the 2010 look. I refer to that video from the AHFOD film where Chris plays "Charlie Brown" at the Beehive with the band and he appears so inspired. While he plays the piano you can feel the energy and the magic coming from him through the music. As I said, pure magic.

If I had to give my opinion, I would say:

-2002/2003 (in those days his style gave the impression of a "simple guy" enjoying music, which mirrors the inner reason why he started his career)

-VLV (in that era he seemed to be a solid "character", as if he was part of a story)

-Ghost stories (I appreciate the simplicity of the outfits, which fitted well into the low-key atmosphere of the album). 

Despite appreciating X&Y, his style in that period isn't among my favourites (except for the curly hair, which of course I love). However, I can understand the choice to prefer dark and plain clothes to give more space to the music and lights during the shows. In this sense, it worked pretty well.

Edited by only.your.imagination
  • Like 1