✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life - press/reviews

gai

I am curious to see how the critics would respond to the album. So started this thread to post reviews and articles from the media as I'd prefer to keep this discussion separate from the main LP8 thread.

Please share articles and reviews as you come across them.

• Like 6

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the problem is of a category error: they are a pop group that people think of as a band. Their back catalogue is like that most Coldplay of song titles, a sky full of stars: light years of album-track nothingness punctuated by points of brilliance, just as it is with so many pop artists. Perhaps sensing this, their forthcoming album, Everyday Life, is more cohesive, politically charged and, with its interstitial instrumentals, more album-y. But that giddy energy is there: they try out rockabilly, prog, even a kind of doo-wop-tinged 50s pop. The spectre of those brown cords is ever at hand, but Coldplay are still on their adventure of a lifetime, thumbing their noses at what bands are supposed to do.

Except from

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/15/no-more-mellow-yellow-coldplay-weirdest-band-in-pop

Reading the comment section of that article is disgusting. I don't understand how people get to hate like that. I can understand that you don't like something and that's ok, but from that to hate... That's a long way.

Your mistake was even going to the comment section : /

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Reading the comment section of that article is disgusting. I don't understand how people get to hate like that. I can understand that you don't like something and that's ok, but from that to hate... That's a long way.

Chances are most of these people commenting haven't heard any songs outside of the big singles anyway.

• Like 3

Haha, I can't help it. Whenever I read an article or see something on the Internet, I like to read some of the comments, despite not intervening most of the time.

Same, but I rarely see anything good coming from reading the comment sections. I guess it depends on which site, but I wouldnt put the comment section of a news site on that list. Same goes for Youtube, or twitter.

• Like 1

*waits anxiously for Pitchfork to chime in*

This is an album where I feel they could either give it a 7.8/10 or a 2.8/10.

I think on the shear idea that Coldplay pushed themselves and tried something (mostly) drastically different on this album while making a coherent politically-charged statement, that Pitchfork will like it much better than GS and AHFOD (so higher than 4.8/10).

If they don't take offence to how eclectic/diverse/self-indulgent the genre of songs are on the album, then surely they will see this higher as Mylo Xyloto, which they gave a 7.0 and still bashed as being generic arena poprock.

I'll go Pitchfork give a 7.2/10.

• Like 4

Your mistake was even going to the comment section : /

Well I have a confession to make: it is sometimes a guilty pleasure of mine to read negative/hate comments on Coldplay and laugh about how wrong/uninformed they are.

And recently on Twitter I even took it up a notch and responded to some (in a funny, non-offensive way obviously) :joy:

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

*waits anxiously for Pitchfork to chime in*

This is an album where I feel they could either give it a 7.8/10 or a 2.8/10.

I think on the shear idea that Coldplay pushed themselves and tried something (mostly) drastically different on this album while making a coherent politically-charged statement, that Pitchfork will like it much better than GS and AHFOD (so higher than 4.8/10).

If they don't take offence to how eclectic/diverse/self-indulgent the genre of songs are on the album, then surely they will see this higher as Mylo Xyloto, which they gave a 7.0 and still bashed as being generic arena poprock.

I'll go Pitchfork give a 7.2/10.

Coldplay's highest rated album in Pitchfork is Mylo. They even destroyed AROBTTH and Parachutes.

Although I consult the site every week, I am not really expecting a fair assessment from Pitchfork since they have a against-mainstream bias.

• Like 3

Well I have a confession to make: it is sometimes a guilty pleasure of mine to read negative/hate comments on Coldplay and laugh about how wrong/uninformed they are.

And recently on Twitter I even took it up a notch and responded to some (in a funny, non-offensive way obviously) :joy:

I guess if you respond that way, and it works for you, thats great.

I know for me (and im sure for others), it just boils my blood a bit. Grr

• Like 2

Pitchfork will probably give EL something between 5.2 and 6.1 for whatever reason, after one or two listens on its release day, in a review that deals with everything but the actual album. Oh and they will probably mention Kid A and how Chris Martin is obsessed with birds.

Sorry, still tough to stomach that AROBTTH review. :no_mouth:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pitchfork will probably give EL something between 5.2 and 6.1 for whatever reason, after one or two listens on its release day, in a review that deals with everything but the actual album. Oh and they will probably mention Kid A and how Chris Martin is obsessed with birds.

Sorry, still tough to stomach that AROBTTH review. :no_mouth:

Yeah, I'm also expecting some comments about Coldplay desperately trying to win critical approval with experimentation and failing.

I hope the album will get the media attention it deserves. But have a feeling it will be mostly ignored and the era will end up being the shortest. I hope not.

• Sad 2

Coldplay's highest rated album in Pitchfork is Mylo. They even destroyed AROBTTH and Parachutes.

Although I consult the site every week, I am not really expecting a fair assessment from Pitchfork since they have a against-mainstream bias.

Which is exactly why I think it has a chance to be Coldplay's highest rated Pitchfork album- because it's the least mainstream of any album they've done.

But since it's Pitchfork, and they fancy themselves quite a bit as having musical superiority to the rest of the planet, it could totally backfire and they could give it a 2 or something for some very specific reason that they deem important.

• Like 2

I don't understand why people bother commenting on reviews for music they hate. What do they hope to gain from it-that the band will somehow see it and feel bad about themselves:laughing:?

I don't get it either. There are quite a few musicians that I don't like or music that I really can't stand, and I can't see myself ever having the desire or time to bash them on random articles and video lol

• Like 5

^Here's my hot take, which I'll put in spoilers in case folks haven't listened to the leak.

TLDR: I have a hunch, feeling, whatever, that this album is gonna get a lot of praise.

[spoiler=Will critics like this album? ]

Coldplay has never been able to overcome a host of critics that salivate at the opportunity to call Chris Martin "boyish" "naive" and "goofy" and to write off the music as not good enough to be great in the pop world and not creative enough to be great in the alternative/rock world. So for every critic to say "wow, Hurts Like Heaven is actually a bop" there's another that offsets that positive feedback by only centering in on "Princess of China's lyrics are pathetic." Basically Coldplay never gets a fair shake. Critics will go out of their way to praise Radiohead's King of Limbs or Taylor Swift's Lover (both of which I admittedly like) but then they'll approach every Coldplay album with a cynical assumption that it's going to suck. So how does Coldplay overcome that? Two big things:

1. It's 2019 and we need Coldplay: I think time will sweeten and mend people's views of Coldplay. A lot of critics ended up liking AHFOD because they kinda said "why not? Maybe we've been too harsh." Now, 4 years on, I think there will a fresh batch of critics who are refreshed by the album's sound and it's themes of hope and finding solace in loved ones, friends, and spirituality. Our world feels really cynical, especially online and on social media, and I believe there's a part of every human that really wants to enjoy something that feels sincere, genuine, and earnest. Coldplay has always been all 3 of those things, and EL might be their most sincere album yet. So idk, I just wonder if a lot critics are ready to accept Coldplay in 2019 when maybe they weren't in 2014 or 2003. Everyday Life impressed me with its rawness and honesty, and I think in 2019, looking back at the decade, there's a lot of folks who are worried/hopeful about the future who need this music. I found my first listen to feel like a release.

2. The music is actually really good: This is just a better album than AHFOD and GS. The songwriting is better. The mixing is better. The experiments are more exciting and meaningful. EL tackles a lot of issues in a meaningful way but also gives us that feel-good, cathartic Coldplay love that we all need. And in my opinion, there isn't a single track that's bad. Some might have issues with the weird flow or tracks that don't quite fit the rest of the album (Orphans, Cry Cry Cry) but they are still good tracks.

OR - I'm totally wrong and a lot of critics won't take the time to appreciate EL and will lambaste it for being all over the place, esoteric, and inconsistent.

Non-Spoiler Thoughts: I think this will get positive reviews from critics more than we're used to. Going into 2020 I think people are more open to this kind of music/messaging. I even think that there's a chance Coldplay wins some big awards for this one. If they were to ever win a Grammy for "Best Album" or "Album of the year," I think this is their best shot since Viva.

• Like 5

But have a feeling it will be mostly ignored and the era will end up being the shortest.

That's what I think as well. I read some English language papers of Jordan and even there the concert isn't mentioned.

And no people from Jordan will get the chance to watch the concert live. Many people from Jordan complain about that. They are so disappointed. I still don't understand why Jordan? If they don't give local people the chance to go to the concert they could have played the new songs just anywhere in a studio and let people follow the concert in Youtube.

• Like 2

Non-Spoiler Thoughts: I think this will get positive reviews from critics more than we're used to. Going into 2020 I think people are more open to this kind of music/messaging. I even think that there's a chance Coldplay wins some big awards for this one. If they were to ever win a Grammy for "Best Album" or "Album of the year," I think this is their best shot since Viva.

I do hope you are right in terms of the critics' response. But the band is doing the least they can to promote this album. To the point where we get important album info from the president of their label. Feels like they may miss out because of how quiet the band is about this era. But I do agree that this is the closest Coldplay could come to winning album of the year at the Grammys after viva. Keeping my fingers crossed for some media longevity.

• Like 2

Real talk: I touched upon this before in other posts, but what effect does do press/other reviews have on your own feelings?

Nothing other than satisfaction of a band I love getting recognition. Especially when I feel it's well deserved. That's why I created a separate thread to talk about media response rather than using the threads where we discuss our views.

• Like 5

I agree about the Grammy's point- this is their best shot since MX to win an award or 2. This won't fall into any of the mainstream categories, but definitely can see it making a run at best alternative album(?)

I do think some critics will find the album a bit all over the place. The weird thing is that the album is all over the place musically, but has a pretty coherent lyrical message. In that way, it kind of works.

I normally don't care about awards and that stuff, but there is something very satisfying about Coldplay getting critical recognition. I think it's because they get slagged off and they deserve so so so much more respect than that.

• Like 4