✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Jet

Marie

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon, this Jet revolution has already been and gone here, well they are still rockin' over here but they aren't new or anything :D

Augh, the Vines are an embaressment to me! Making fools of themselves like they are whacked out which they probably are, just craig though :dozey:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think its time to resurrect this thread. I LOOOOOVE The new album. Im seriously obsessing over them lately. :dance:

So new album, fav songs?

Mine? Shiny Magazine, Eleanor, Shine on, Put your money where your mouth is, Kings Horses, Holiday(pretty much all then, LMAO)

:D

Album: Jet's Shine On

JetCD.jpg

Three years in the making, Shine On is Jet’s sophomore release. After nearly wearing out their debut Get Born in 2003, I was itching for another album. Unfortunately, their punch stops at Get Born’s “Take It Or Leave It.” And to be honest, I’ll leave this one. Shine On is pretty much just a repeat of their debut, with much less thought and giddy-up. Nearly every track has predictable chord progressions and chord changes that never kept me guessing. I nearly fell asleep listening.

But without question, as in their first album, you can’t help but notice that The Beatles and The Rolling Stones have heavily influenced them as a handful of tracks sound like one of their records. Others sound too pretentious, as they rifle through their repertoire, which is recorded mostly through the lens of AC/DC.

Some bands can get away with falsetto (Coldplay), but not Jet. It was hard to contain myself while listening to “Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is.” Is this the hit? I had to grab some tissues because my ears were bleeding so badly. After snoring through “Bring It On Back” and “That’s All Lies” we come to the first coherent track on the album via an overproduced John Lennon. The title track is a yawn, and finally after nearly three-quarters of the album is over, the album finally picks up where Get Born left off.

“Rip It Up” (not the Little Richard hit) finally proves why Jet’s new album should be bought. Right from the beginning, the song pulls you in with the first decent hook and chorus on the album. This is where I expected Jet to pick up. If they had started the album here, and deleted all previous tracks, this would have been a nice little record.

“Skin & Bones” is reminiscent of the Rolling Stones, while the last three bonus tracks are arguably the best tracks on the album. First off is “Shiny Magazine” which is pure Lennon/McCartney with an Oasis sound and a George Harrison slide guitar, but is without a doubt a genuine Jet song.

“Eleanor” has a Buddy Holly/Everly Brothers feel too it and is possibly the most creative song on the album in terms of lyrics, structure and overall thought. However, without question the albums last track, “All You Have To Do” is by far the best. They beautifully meld the sounds of both Oasis and Pink Floyd together to make an extremely shocking exit from their past and one of the only songs worth singing along with. These boys have grown up.

Overall as a lover of Jet’s first album, I was terribly disappointed to hear that this was the best that they could come up with. On a few tracks they attempt to act bigger than they are by trying to create anthems and crowd pleasers that just sound out of place on a Jet record. Hopefully on their next record they remember what a good hook and chorus are and fill the album with them, because it was difficult to give this entire album a second listen.

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/entertainment/entertainment_item.asp?NewsID=121

• 4 weeks later...

Jet - Bring It On Back

3437-jet.gif

Barely a month since their legendary 100 Club blitzkrieg which saw the likes of Kasabian, Owen Wilson and The Chemical Brothers fighting for guest list space, Jet celebrate the worldwide success of new album ‘Shine On’. Heading for the top ten this week in the U.K, U.S, Australia and Japan, it is, as Q pointed out this month: “new old rock at its finest.“

The band’s new single ‘Bring It On Back’ will be released on 20th November 2006. Another rock’n’roll exocet from the pen of Nic Cester, it will be released on 2 x 7” and CD and features 3 brand new tracks recorded in Barbados earlier this year, including gonzo thrash ‘Janie Jones’ (inspired by Ned Kelly!), plus late-night epics ‘I Only Like You When I’m High’ and ‘Where Are All My Good Friends?’

Jet return to the UK next week to cause more fire-limit mayhem at the first night of the MTV Gonzo Shows at the Birmingham Barfly (Oct 25th). This will be followed by an appearance as part of the BBC Electric Proms in London on the 26th October, before starting their first full U.K tour for three years on the 1st November. All dates are sold out, with those for additional Brixton Academy show on 8th November going fast.

‘Shine On’ is the follow up to the band’s bonafide classic debut album ‘Get Born’ which sold 4 million copies worldwide and saw Rolling Stone acknowledge this is a band which ‘lives, dies and drinks to Exile On Main Street’

They are currently on a sell-out US tour where they recently filmed the video for ‘Bring It On Back’ with award winning director Jamie Thraves (/Radiohead ‘Just’/ Coldplay ‘The Scientist’).

New single ‘Bring It On Back’ Release Date: 20th November 2006

13th October BIRMINGHAM, Barfly – MTV 2 Gonzo Tour * SOLD OUT

26th October LONDON, Barfly ** SOLD OUT

1st November NEWCASTLE, ACADEMY (0870 771 2000) SOLD OUT

3rd November GLASGOW, BARROWLANDS (0870 0600 100) SOLD OUT

4th November MANCHESTER, ACADEMY (0161 832 1111) SOLD OUT

5th November BIRMINGHAM, ACADEMY (0870 771 2000) SOLD OUT

7th November LONDON, BRIXTON ACADEMY (0870 771 2000) SOLD OUT

8th November LONDON, BRIXTON ACADEMY (0870 771 2000) EXTRA DATE

Released November 20, 2006

http://www.musicrooms.net/cm/live/templates/?a=3437&z=5

• 4 months later...

They are very good live, getting the crowd rocking, and with their choice of 2 very good support bands (the new Zealand 'The Checks' and the Denmark "The Blue Van"), last night crash lands into my top 5 gigs.

They are not everybody's cup of tea on record, but live they are another level.