✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Alicia Keys

rf_ucsd

Alicia Keys: Songs in A Minor

So the next album on my list is Alicia Keys's <u>Songs In A Minor</u>.

I loved this album when it came out (as most people did), but I have to say that this album isn't standing the test of time as well as I would have thought. The year this album came out I always compared it to India Arie's debut (<u>Acoustic Soul</u>). At the time there was always this internal debate which swayed one way or the other based on whim and mood.

But now ... India Arie's album just holds up much better. On this (Alicea's) album, there are only a few songs which continue to stand out. The best example of this is "Fallin'." This really exemplifies the whole album. This song was huge. It was and is a good song. But this song just doesn't have the same appeal anymore. At least not to me. Maybe it's been played out? I don't know. For me, the song isn't really representative of the other music on the album, so it's more difficult for me to develop an attachment for it (as I don't have a record with which to identify it). I'm only about half way through listening to the album, but I still really "A Woman's Worth" and "Jane Doe." "Goodbye" is a really good song, too; just different in mood (it's a little heavy). "How Come You Don't Call Me" probably should be mentioned here, too.

Other thoughts? My overall feeling is that this is a very good album, but it's an album that's not going to be in heavy rotation for me ... that I'll probably only listen to it once or twice a year.

But I am very much looking forward to her next release.

I've always been into R&B (I know, hard to believe! :P ) and I actually have her album..and I agree it is a really good album.

I know what you mean with Fallin not being as appealing anymore. I loved that song sooo much but I just kept playing it over and over and it finally just lost all meaning. It's still a great song though, don't get me wrong.

I've always loved 'Goodbye' as well, but I can't really listen to it at any time. I guess I have to be in a 'depressed' mood lol. :rolleyes:

'A Woman's Worth' rocks as well... :)

I don't listen to it anymore though...I mean there are times when I feel like listen to R&B rather than Alternative or Punk lol...but I'll most likely listen to Aaliyah.

:) :) :)

I've never, ever listened to Aaliyah. I think that's because Aaliyah's first big hit ("Back and Forth") sticks with me more than it should, and for a while it looked like she was nothing more than an R. Kelly side project. I seems almost ludicrous to say that now given what she went on to do, but that's still what I think of first when I think of Aaliyah: a really, really young girl sining "Back and Forth" and hooking up with R. Kelly.

I really should give something for hers a spin.

• 2 months later...

alicia Keys the dairy of Alica Keys !!!

I got this Album yesterday after intending to get it for some time, wow firstly I would like to say thank you out there Alicia , for such a person has been able to grace us with her sweet voice and words. I consider it as a privilege that we are around to listen to something so beautiful and sweet for the soul.

I liked this album too. M only complaint is that it really doesn't cover much enw ground ... that you don't really need to own this album and "Songs in A Minor" unless you're a diehard R&B or Alicia Keys fan. If you just like pop music, you only need to own one of these albums.

The similarlities are at times annoying. She uses a lot of the some lyrical devices in her song. Some of the opens are the same. A lot of the songs are structured identically. For about half the songs on "Diary ..." you can sit there and say "This songs sounds like [X song] from Songs on A Minor."

However, if you take each album individually, they're both great albums. It shows a weakness in her as an artist that she is not able to develop new ways of writing songs. It's not a weakness of the album, per se.

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking themusiclover will be the one to go to for this thread. But i really really love the songs that are coming off of her latest album. Is the rest of the album pretty much the same, i'm thinking about buying it.

Let me know.

I will be honest the lastest album is not as good as her first. However in this Album it shows she has grown up. I would still advise you to get it. There are songs on there that will grow on you.

She is gonna be around for a while, and if you ever get a chance see her live. Her style of show, will make you cry inside.

She also has a talented band that plays with her.

• 1 month later...

Alicia Keys is coming to Manchester

And I am debating whether I should go.

Guys any tips on how I could get to meet her so I could get a pic taken with her, and ask her out whether because I know what she needs. She needs my undying love and attention. :D BTW if I get the pic taken it will be posted on this thread ! :D

0o0o0o0o0oh... have you decided to go or not?

"iiii keeeeep on faaaaallling ... in and ouuuut of loooooveee with yoooooouuuu"

what a tune! :cool:

Please don't I need to mail a mate who used to work for the Appllo. I might get a specail discount ! :idea2:

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know what the difference is between these 2 books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alicia-Keys-As-I-Am/dp/1423435842/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217198072&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/As-Am-Piano-Vocal-Guitar/dp/0571531725/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217198072&sr=1-6

There are sometimes a couple of versions of sheet music available, a shit one and not so bad one - I don't want to end up getting the shit one that is nothing like the actual music.

• 4 years later...

new album coming soon!

below there are two versions of a new track from the album.

[ame=http://soundcloud.com/aliciakeys/girl-on-fire-inferno-version]Girl On Fire (Inferno Version) Featuring Nicki Minaj by AliciaKeys on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free[/ame]

[ame=http://soundcloud.com/aliciakeys/girl-on-fire-bluelight-version]Girl On Fire (Blue Light Version) by AliciaKeys on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free[/ame]