✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Favourite Lesser Known Movies

Reilly

Everybody loves Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption, but isnt is much cooler to find a movie that not many people know of, yet its absolutely brilliant?

Just 3 of my favourites:

Battle Royal: A class of Japanese school teens are put on an island, 40 of them. Electric collars are put around their necks to monitor them, they are given random weapons, and they must kill everyone else on the island within 3 days, or else the collars explode and everyone dies. Not too much planned logic, or a great ending, but still a fantastic, fantastic movie. (Subtitled)

City of God: Story of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, real life true story of how the capital and its slummed turned into a drug based gun filled wasteland. Its funny, its horrific, its an excellent story which has all the mediums between comedy, romance and horror. If you see the first 2 minutes of this movie it drags you in immensely, I know that at the time I was trying study for a test the next day, and I decided to take a 5 minute break, so I went into the living room to sit down and this movie was on. The 5 minutes turned to 10, then to 20, and then 2 hours later I was hooked and even went as far as to watch the scene commentaries and documentary on the area. Its a scarily realistic movie. (Subtitled)

Death to Smoochy: This is a MUST HAVE. Eddie Norton's, Danny DeVito's and Robin Williams' least known of all their movies, and its directed by Danny. It went straight to video in 2002.

To the actual movie...

Death to Smoochy follows what is portrayed as a tough, ruthless and highly competitve industry of Children's Television. Smoochy is an all singing, all dancing purple rhyno who represents everything that is right with the world, played by Edward Norton (Picture below). When Robin William's Television persona Rainbow Randolph is fired for taking bribes, he is publicly shamed and humiliated. Smoochy is discovered by talent executive Nora Wells, in a homeless shelter, where Smoochy is singing songs for re-habilitating crack addicts.

SMOOCHY (SHELDON)

(singing to the tune of 'She'll be Comin'

round the Mountain')

'We'll get that monkey off your back,

Yes we will, yes we will

We'll get that monkey off your back,

Yes we will...'

'We'll get that monkey off your back

And get your life right back on track

If you'll just give up the smack

Yes you will, yes you will!!'

Smoochy is seen as dead-weight by Nora; "The guy can't get arrested, Frank. He can't even break into the birthday party circuit. Last I heard he was working hospitals and nursing homes. He's a joke." But the boss of the network see's Smochy as someone who is straight and narrow, someone who cant possibly get arrested like all the other Childrens Television presenters have. Rainbow Randolph meanwhile is obsessed with re-claiming his throne as America's sweetheart on Children's TV, which drives him to the brink of insanity, contemplating schemes to frame or even kill Smoochy.

The plot is a lot more complexed than what it sounds here, with many deceptions, money hungry TV executives, gang violence, and it's all about the kids. This is a brilliant movie.

I really really really want at least one of you to rent this movie, its incredible and I want someone to know what its all about.

Ive been to a movie database which also has movie boards, when the average movie has about 3,000 members to its board, Death to Smoochy has 40. Its incredibly unknown and under-rated.

Go out there and get it.

Yaaay! Its such a great movie! I found the full script on the net...

"RANDOLPH (Phone)

You better grow eyes on the back of your fucking head, you horned

piece of shit! I won't sleep until the worms are crawlin' up

your foam rubber ass! I'm going on safari, motherfucker... safari! (Elephant noise)

Hangs up.

SMOOCHY

What a day! Gee..." :lol:

The Elephant Noise was pure genius!

And...

"Someone throws an egg and it hits Randolph in the face.

RANDOLPH

I've been shot! Im bleeding! Who touched my ass?

Who did that?!

Getting pushed into the car.

RANDOLPH:

WHO TOUCHED MY ASS?!"

HAHAHAHA Thats the best scene ever.

:lol: :lol: no way

"Someone throws an egg and it hits Randolph in the face.

RANDOLPH

I've been shot! Im bleeding! Who touched my ass?

Who did that?!

:lol: :lol: that's classic!!!

I'm gonna rent this again soon coz I saw it agesssssss ago! :lol: :P

aewsome!!

city of gd does rock!!

im from rio! lived my entire life there, well, until july 2002 when i came to the us

but believe me, i never heard any shots, or anything like that

i guess i was just lucky

hehe

I'd hardly consider anything with Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger to be lesser known. :P

Reilly, I actually started a thread about City of God a couple months ago, because it is a FANTASTIC movie!

One of my favorite films of all time that far too few people know about:

Koyaanisqatsi

It's an hour and a half long and has no dialogue, no plot, and is nothing but images and music (composed by the brilliant Philip Glass), but it's an hour and a half of the most stunning cinema I've ever seen, even if a lot of the hairstyles and clothing look a little dated 21 years later.

Peed, I have no idea of what that film/home cookery product is.

Twix, nobody said anything about the Patriot, you're drunk again.

Lee Lee, did you live near the slums? From the after documentary shown, the slums are still very very active with gang violence and gunshots on a day to day basis.

City of God: Story of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, real life true story of how the capital and its slummed turned into a drug based gun filled wasteland. Its funny, its horrific, its an excellent story which has all the mediums between comedy, romance and horror. If you see the first 2 minutes of this movie it drags you in immensely, I know that at the time I was trying study for a test the next day, and I decided to take a 5 minute break, so I went into the living room to sit down and this movie was on. The 5 minutes turned to 10, then to 20, and then 2 hours later I was hooked and even went as far as to watch the scene commentaries and documentary on the area. Its a scarily realistic movie. (Subtitled)

Oh !I hear a lot of good comments on this movie here in São Paulo, but I didn´t have the chance to see it. It´s so true what happens there. A tv station made a series over this movie. With the two boys Laranjinha and Acerola. Pretty good.

It´s good to know some brazilian movies make success in other countries :)

Peed, I have no idea of what that film/home cookery product is.

Twix, nobody said anything about the Patriot, you're drunk again.

Lee Lee, did you live near the slums? From the after documentary shown, the slums are still very very active with gang violence and gunshots on a day to day basis.

fortunetly enough, i didnt

but i went to school for 4 years in that region, actually, it was right across the street from rocinha, the biggest slum in south american, but since all the kids(the ones that werent selling drugs) went to my school, they kinda protected it, u know? it was actually a really good school!

anyways. i never heard, or saw anything