The Beatles

lucyinthesky

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest howyousawtheworld
As much as I love the Beatles, I'd rather that music progresses, and I'd like for Hey Jude to be nowhere near any chart as it's over 40 years old.

And as for those artists, to say they have no talent is a bit shit. I wouldn't listen to any of them, but I can understand why certain people do.

Oh sorry didn't realise you had something to say....of no fucking use whatsoever again.

I'd also have to agree with reilly. I mean I love the beatles more than any other band, they have so much history with me. But I feel their time has come and gone in terms of getting on the charts.

there are some songs I do think are catchy from today's charts. I wouldn't listen to it all, but I don't think you can discredit the music itself. People like it for a reason and it's popular much how the beatles were in the 60's.

Guest howyousawtheworld
He's right though

Really? Oh well that's settled! You've convinced me 110%! Reilly thinks I want EVERY Beatles song back at the top of the charts. Err no! I just want a Beatles song back at number 1 just to make a change from the true awfulness of todays music which constitutes that you have to have a horrific synth track backing your autotuned voice or that you have to be "urban" etc to get to the top. The charts used to be pretty good harmless fun. Cheesy mostly but not DIRE DIRGE. The fact Reilly would rather see Cascada at number 1 than The Beatles is jut ridiculous. Of course that's Reilly and he doesn't really think that, as he just loves to play devils advocate as I'm sure we'd all admit.

But I really couldn't care if people like yourselves listen to what's in the charts. That's fine. But it lacks true quality musically. Music can only progress with the help of it's past. I hardly call David Guetta ft Rihanna a progression in music. The horrific overuse of computerized sounds accompanied by a song whom the singing artist had absolutely no imput and was fed to by her like dinner scraps fed to a pig? Progression? No. It is merely the highest form of regression.

Really? Oh well that's settled! You've convinced me 110%! Reilly thinks I want EVERY Beatles song back at the top of the charts. Err no! I just want a Beatles song back at number 1 just to make a change from the true awfulness of todays music which constitutes that you have to have a horrific synth track backing your autotuned voice or that you have to be "urban" etc to get to the top. The charts used to be pretty good harmless fun. Cheesy mostly but not DIRE DIRGE. The fact Reilly would rather see Cascada at number 1 than The Beatles is jut ridiculous. Of course that's Reilly and he doesn't really think that, as he just loves to play devils advocate as I'm sure we'd all admit.

But I really couldn't care if people like yourselves listen to what's in the charts. That's fine. But it lacks true quality musically. Music can only progress with the help of it's past. I hardly call David Guetta ft Rihanna a progression in music. The horrific overuse of computerized sounds accompanied by a song whom the singing artist had absolutely no imput and was fed to by her like dinner scraps fed to a pig? Progression? No. It is merely the highest form of regression.

I think this is being extremely ignorant. I may not love or like every song that's on the top of the charts, but you can deny that other people love it for a reason of being catchy. I mean your mentality is the same as people who grew up with 40's and 50's music hearing and seeing bands like the beatles, the byrds, beach boys and many others getting to the top of the charts.

You may not like the songs that get popular but honestly do you really expect or want to hear the same genres of bands get to the top? Music is and has to change in popularity or else it'd be quite boring.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I think this is being extremely ignorant. I may not love or like every song that's on the top of the charts, but you can deny that other people love it for a reason of being catchy. I mean your mentality is the same as people who grew up with 40's and 50's music hearing and seeing bands like the beatles, the byrds, beach boys and many others getting to the top of the charts.

You may not like the songs that get popular but honestly do you really expect or want to hear the same genres of bands get to the top? Music is and has to change in popularity or else it'd be quite boring.

Oh please! Lol! I don't think I'm being ignorant at all. I don't advocate a position where there should only just be music I like. All I ask for is the charts to be much more varied/widespread in it's music. I mean is it that hard to understand? And nor do I feel I have an old school view on music. I mean you mention The Beatles and Beach Boys etc but the thing is they wrote and played most of their songs. People may find songs in the charts catchy today and good on them but there is a severe lack of quality these days compared to even 10-15 years ago. I mean if you like Rihanna and all then that's fine. Just a bit pissed off people like her get to where they are without ever picking up a pen to write or play any of her music like most of the charts. And still she needs autotune to get her through. Pure ignorance if you think the charts are anywhere near quality these days. Like McDonalds of the music industry. Easy, lazy branded shite. But that's just my opinion. But I guess my opinion makes me ignorant.

Oh please! Lol! I don't think I'm being ignorant at all. I don't advocate a position where there should only just be music I like. All I ask for is the charts to be much more varied/widespread in it's music. I mean is it that hard to understand? And nor do I feel I have an old school view on music. I mean you mention The Beatles and Beach Boys etc but the thing is they wrote and played most of their songs. People may find songs in the charts catchy today and good on them but there is a severe lack of quality these days compared to even 10-15 years ago. I mean if you like Rihanna and all then that's fine. Just a bit pissed off people like her get to where they are without ever picking up a pen to write or play any of her music like most of the charts. And still she needs autotune to get her through. Pure ignorance if you think the charts are anywhere near quality these days. Like McDonalds of the music industry. Easy, lazy branded shite. But that's just my opinion. But I guess my opinion makes me ignorant.

I can see where you're coming from in terms of you'd rather see people who write songs be popular. But if you think about it if you were to judge based on talent then no bands/artists that were popular would have ever made it to the top (even the beatles). You'd have so many unheard of instrumentalists and jazz artists.

I may not like most of the music that makes it to the charts, but I can't bash that it's catchy songs. So I have to give credit to those songwriters that write the songs for these artists that make it big because clearly if they didn't do a good job they would've never been on the charts.

I mean an artist like Frank Sinatra was amazing and so popular, but he didn't write any of his songs. So in some sense if you bash people from today you sort of have to bash him.

I'm not saying in any way that they are better, because sinatra is much better imo, but I don't think you can completely bash and put down music from today.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that the charts are pretty abysmal. I liked how the Beatles and Beach Boys were not only the most popular bands of the time, but they also produced some of the best music of their time. Without going genre by genre, I think the last time I saw this happen was in the mid 90s with grunge/alternative. There is no doubt that bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Oasis, etc. were some of the best bands during that time. They were also the most popular.

I think it's just a dumbing down of society. There is still good music out there today, it's just not popular with the masses. I keep waiting for a band to come along that re-introduces people to good music the way that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" did for an entire generation.

I can see where you're coming from in terms of you'd rather see people who write songs be popular. But if you think about it if you were to judge based on talent then no bands/artists that were popular would have ever made it to the top (even the beatles). You'd have so many unheard of instrumentalists and jazz artists.

I may not like most of the music that makes it to the charts, but I can't bash that it's catchy songs. So I have to give credit to those songwriters that write the songs for these artists that make it big because clearly if they didn't do a good job they would've never been on the charts.

I mean an artist like Frank Sinatra was amazing and so popular, but he didn't write any of his songs. So in some sense if you bash people from today you sort of have to bash him.

I'm not saying in any way that they are better, because sinatra is much better imo, but I don't think you can completely bash and put down music from today.

Yeah, I agree that you don't have to write your own songs to be great. Some of the songs coming out of Motown in the 60s were brilliant, and song writers like Lieber and Stoller are considered some of the greatest songwriters ever. I can't really be overly analytical about today's chart music; I just don't think it's that good.

I'm not trying to say that I like todays popular music even close to as much as in the past, because I don't.

I guess I just feel it's good to have an open mind especially about music.

Oh, I agree. I just can't think of one pop artist that I like, and I'm a sucker for hooks and melodies. Do you like any particular pop artist? I honestly can't come up with an example of a top 40 artist that I think is any good. I'm not saying that to be smug; I just don't like any of them. I'm not an elitist either. There are several post alternative bands that I like, despite the fact that the critics said their music was watered down and recycled.

Oh, I agree. I just can't think of one pop artist that I like, and I'm a sucker for hooks and melodies. Do you like any particular pop artist? I honestly can't come up with an example of a top 40 artist that I think is any good. I'm not saying that to be smug; I just don't like any of them. I'm not an elitist either. There are several post alternative bands that I like, despite the fact that the critics said their music was watered down and recycled.

I mean no there aren't any pop artists from today I really like. I mean the band that comes closest would be Coldplay. I mean there are sometimes a few songs that come on the radio I don't mind as much.

also RIP John Lennon

n1362120217_30006590_6468.jpg

^photo I took

I was able to go to The Dakota/Imagine Circle/Strawberry Fields in NYC on the 25th anniversary of his death. It was very somber to be there but also happy in the sense that everyone was so united and there to remember his life and music.

l_0b24a59c61d444af95c938a81e23773c.jpg