✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Beatles

lucyinthesky

i concur with his statement and i'm surprised you guys are so touchy on the subject. he has a jab at the previous government because they were a disgrace, but he was also positive about the new government. seemed a fair comment.

It's simple. I seriously doubt that Paul McCartney could, with any level of specificity, describe the positives and negatives of the former or current administration. However, more to the point, even if he could, you don't make that statement in this environment. Go on Oprah or Letterman and spout your dopey views. I am still going to think you don't know what you are talking about, but I am going to be less offended than if you make them at a White House event. Context is everything.

The classy move would have been to accept the award honoring you for your music - plain and simple.

By the way, President Bush's wife has her Master's in Library Science. I am pretty sure he's been to a library, even if it was just to pick her up.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't mean he knows what one is :rolleyes:

Although, it was out of context.

Are you reading what I am writing? I said "even if it was just to pick her up."

Edit: I shouldn't have said that. Discussing politics on a message board is always a losing proposition.

oh looks like I missed a bit.

well, maybe it was a bit inappropriate, but I think it might depend on the audience there. not that you should change your opinion for other people, but if you feel more comfortable voicing it because you think the people there might want to hear it, then so be it. do what you feel is right, even if it's on impulse. thats how I like to live.

As much as I love the Beatles/Lennon, I do agree that it was their ego's that really helped them to be successful. It was what pushed them to strive harder and make it. I think that overall though he seemed like a nice guy to be around with. Of course at times he may have been an ass though.

THAT

As much as I love McCartney and his music I think that in real life he's a bit of an ass and too egocentric.

wait what? I thought we just said egos are okay.

wait what? I thought we just said egos are okay.

Time and place, time and place. Egos are great when you are on stage or in the studio being a rock star. However, as we all know, the ego of a rock star doesn't always translate to success in every aspect of life. Admittedly, it must be difficult to balance.

It's simple. I seriously doubt that Paul McCartney could, with any level of specificity, describe the positives and negatives of the former or current administration. However, more to the point, even if he could, you don't make that statement in this environment. Go on Oprah or Letterman and spout your dopey views. I am still going to think you don't know what you are talking about, but I am going to be less offended than if you make them at a White House event. Context is everything.

The classy move would have been to accept the award honoring you for your music - plain and simple.

By the way, President Bush's wife has her Master's in Library Science. I am pretty sure he's been to a library, even if it was just to pick her up.

i think he could

jesus christ, you guys are really hung up on the people thinking he was a retarded cowboy. of course he was intelligent in many ways, you don't become president if you aren't, it's just an off the cuff comment regarding how nice it is to have people in power who are far less right wing. you're making a mountain out of a molehill, he was hardly 'spouting his dopey views', just making a comment. i presume the majority of the world agree with him. it isn't like he was making a stand and chaining himself to the podium until bush said sorry. it wasn't inflated ego, it's what most british people would have said in the situation i'm sure.

dear prudence is great.

The night before last, I went to see Rain with some of my best friends. They are, supposedly, the best Beatles tribute band there is. And I'd agree.

it started out with the Ed Sullivan show, and they played a good set of songs from that stage in their career. the show spanned from Ed Sullivan through to Shea Stadium, Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road and Let It Be. probably more, I don't remember.

it was uncanny, how perfectly they followed the original tracks. The voices, especially Paul's, were very much the same. and the guy who was playing Paul looked like him too. And George. I'm sure if you saw them up close, you wouldn't think so, but it was amazing.

It was also really impressive how, since the Beatles stopped playing live after 1965 (except for the rooftop session), they could recreate all the engineering-heavy later songs.

There are lots of subtle little things in the songs that they hit perfectly, like the enounciations in When I'm Sixty Four and saying "in" after "don't you know that you can count me out" in Revolution. the guitar solo in While My Guitar Gently Weeps was sick.

There also was a cool 3-screen video showing most of the time, except for songs like yesterday and let it be, when it had a better effect not to show anything. they liked showing old footage of beatlemaniacs interspersed with live shots of the crowd. The costumes and set were great, and the set was really long too, with an intermission.

some people might get critical about one of these bands, but these guys were true to the actual Beatles. they put a lot of energy into it and it definitely paid off.

it was awesome. 5/5.

I want to see tribute bands, but they scare me. I'll never see the beatles or Zeppelin, so a tribute band is as good as it gets. At the same time, I don't want my opinion of a band to be impacted by anything a tribute band does because it's not really the band.

that's exactly what I was worried about. I did a lot of research to see if it was okay to see Rain, if the really avid fans approved of them, and I'm glad I did go to see them. everyone had a lot of fun. when I did my research, the ony downsides that other people were found was that it was overpriced for a cover band ($60, plus shipping) and that they were too egotistical (isn't that the topic of the day...)

I'll really pay any price for a concert that I'd enjoy. they did ask for encouragement a lot but it got everyone singing along and having fun.

I'll never see the Beatles, so this is the closest I can get. I'd also like to go see Paul McCartney.

if you would rather not, that makes total sense, I understand. but I approved it. which pretty much counts for everything.

if i wanted to hear beatles song live nowadays i'd like to hear people do something a bit different with them and do proper cover versions, rather than just mimic them. and i wouldn't want to hear somebody cover them all night. just do a song. either play your own stuff or cover a few different people, preferably shedding new light onto it by doing something different with it or doing a song rarely heard.

i'd rather listen to a cd than watch a tribute band. it's just wrong. and my best mates dad is in a beatles tribute band (he's paul).

• 2 weeks later...
if i wanted to hear beatles song live nowadays i'd like to hear people do something a bit different with them and do proper cover versions, rather than just mimic them. and i wouldn't want to hear somebody cover them all night. just do a song. either play your own stuff or cover a few different people, preferably shedding new light onto it by doing something different with it or doing a song rarely heard.

i'd rather listen to a cd than watch a tribute band. it's just wrong. and my best mates dad is in a beatles tribute band (he's paul).

I agree, but the only beatles tribute band that are kinda good are Rain. I HATE it when bands cover Beatles songs. They just cant play it right. U know what i really hate?? People comparing Jonas Brothers to the Beatles?! SERIOUSLY. They can never ever ever ever ever be the next Beatles or anything close to that.