✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is learning to play the piano hard?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how you look at it. If you've never played an instrument before, it could get tricky, because you have to co-ordinate the two different movements of your hands. But in comparison to other instruments (for example the violin) it's kind of easy.

And you need a tad of talent too ;)

I took lessons for many years... starting out is fine if you've got a sense of rhythm and you can "feel" in your body that you know what the music is supposed to sound like when you play it. Shouldn't be a problem since you're wanting to learn Coldplay songs and you probably know how they all sound by heart, right? ;) If Coldplay songs are all you're planning to learn (instead of, say, classical stuff) then just download the chords or guitar tab and have a piano-playing friend teach you the chords on the piano. You don't even need to learn how to read staff music unless you want to.

Hope that helps! :D

<>< M

Depends on how you look at it. If you've never played an instrument before, it could get tricky, because you have to co-ordinate the two different movements of your hands. But in comparison to other instruments (for example the violin) it's kind of easy.

And you need a tad of talent too ;)

You don't need talent

I'm doing fine without any talent :smug: Just practise a lot.. it works for me

I have found that playing Drums is far easier than Piano, and I can play every Coldplay song on them.

It doesn't sound very logical, but for some reason, I can't play two things with my hands on Piano, but can on Drums, totally stupid.

Stupid brain, stupid coordination. :confused:

I have found that playing Drums is far easier than Piano, and I can play every Coldplay song on them.

It doesn't sound very logical, but for some reason, I can't play two things with my hands on Piano, but can on Drums, totally stupid.

Stupid brain, stupid coordination. :confused:

i'm a drummer too and i find i struggle with the piano too - i reckon it's cause on drums you use your right hand as the metronome, keeping the beat whereas on piano the left hand seems to do that job more - i find it the wrong way round - my left hand wants to do the melody not my right :confused:

eddierofl wrote:

Stupid brain, stupid coordination. confused.gif

i'm a drummer too and i find i struggle with the piano too - i reckon it's cause on drums you use your right hand as the metronome, keeping the beat whereas on piano the left hand seems to do that job more - i find it the wrong way round - my left hand wants to do the melody not my right confused.gif

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. :cool: I guess its just practice!

nice easy song to start of is a ladder to the sun i think its two chords all the way through except for the bridge and its a great song to play :) i reckon if you want to learn you will do mate. oh yeah and the chords are C and Am and the bridge is F and G. I suggest getting a piano chord book. Good Luck!

Piano is easy' date=' it's practically the only instrument I can sit down and just start making up stuff, yet I know nothing about the piano. It's alot easier than guitar, or violin, yes.[/quote']

well aren't we talented? lol

*bangs on the piano then goes and makes noise on my electric guitar* :P

I've been playing the piano for about 7 years now, and it's been a little difficult, but I picked it up quickly. I started playing guitar a little over a year ago, and it's much easier to get into and learn. If not for lessons, I would've been quickly bored with the piano.

I've been playing the guitar so 6 years and bought a keyboard about 2 months ago. I have been using the GuitarPro software to learn the piano. I can't read music at all, so sheet music it out.I import the midi file and it shows how it is played on the piano or guitar. Not the most professional way to learn, but it works. I can already play several Coldplay songs.

• 2 weeks later...

ive been playing piano for 10 years, and i must say, make sure you find a good teacher. I was taught the wrong way and i can't just 'read' sheet music, i have to work out what line is what note when i read sheetmusic. Although, 10 years did help me with my ear for music, and im very capable of writing music, just my damn sheet music skills are shabby. Still piano is great once you have 7 years of lessons and then quit and then develop your own style. I guess im also favoured as im left handed, so its easy to keep beat with my left and play melody with my right, unlike you drummers :lol: :cool:

i'm learning to play the piano (well, keyboard, i know it's not the same, but mine's like a piano), and it's not so difficult, i find it easier than the guitar... but i had already some coordination from it. what it's difficult it's classical, play 2 different things at the same time without playing the chords... but well, u said u wanted to play only coldplay's, so i think it might be easy to u, but first u have to learn to 'read' music... and it might be for some people tha hardest part...

• 3 weeks later...

i found it kinda hard. espically when one hand is playing something totally diffrent from the other. but to i could have been my teacher that made it so hard. it was my choir teacher that taught me. i can play ode to joy!! :D good luck!

• 3 months later...

What it comes down to is practice. practice, practice, practice. It's all about getting used to the movement. I taught myself how to play guitar. I practiced and practiced. I don't know the first thing about music but kept at it. Now I'm going back to learning how to play piano mostly because of coldplay and wanting to play the songs (learning Amsterdam right now) The hardest thing is reading the music. Once it's figured out I just play over and over again and eventually I get it. (Obviously I have nil talent well maybe just a little because I can play an instrument but it hasn't come that easy) So go for it man! "If you never try then you'll never know" Don't expect to be a Beethoven or Chris Martin for that matter but you will be happy that you at least tried. Good luck and put your heart into it!

BTW girlygirl what is your avatar?

p.s. I'm so glad I found this forum. Great place. Just found it yesterday. Are lots of you from the UK? My sis is teaching there. I want to visit so bad! Anyhow thanks for taking me in! peace.