✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is learning to play the piano hard?

Piano is DEFINATELY very hard to learn. THe thing that makes learning it easy is that many people show genuine interest. I learned piano very fast when i first started (8 years ago), but not because of the teacher, but because I pracitised hard, and enjoyed what I was doing.

If you aren't interested in the instrument you're playing, you are likely to be a complete failure.

Also, there's a lot more to piano than keys and music. It is definately my favorate instrument, and i play many. Some people could play piano for 10 years, but can't write a note, ad-lip a solo, or build an entire song around a few chords. That's where musical skill comes it. Some people have it, some don't.

I like to refer to skilled musicians as the same as skilled sports players. Many people play basketball their whole life, but are never very good. Same goes for musicians. There are only a select few of us that can call themselves skilled. Not just skilled at playing the instrument, but skilled at interpretation, writing, hearing the music, even something as simple as singing in key. Once I had to transpose the music in front of me, on the fly, down 6 semitones because the singer I was playing for was TERRIBLY out of key.

Sorry, for going on, but yes, it is definately very hard to learn. I notice many people saying they can play the instrument, but not read music. You have to have ALL the skills in order to say you can really play your instrument.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im thinking about taking lessons' date=' but a 17 yr old guy taking piano lessons sounds kind of weird. [/quote']

it may be cliched as hell, but seriously, it's never too late to learn.

i remember one of my violin exams when i was 10 years old and i was going for my 5th grade exam, 2 of my violin teachers students from her school were 16 and 17 years old and they were taking their 1st grade violin exam. it was beautiful really, and it made me realise, you don't need to be a specific age to learn an instrument, if you really feel the drive to learn, then go for it - but you have to have the committment and dedication. off course it's hard at first especially if you haven't played an instrument before that regards tone and key, but if you sit there and practice, you will eventually get it. and don't worry about it being too late to start. if you keep saying it now, you will never get the chance, and what a waste that is.

good luck with it ;) :)

As soon as you're relativly skilled at piano, you'll be able to play any instrument you want with a little practise. Guitar, especially drums, bass, whatever. This is because you learn how to use all 5 fingers on both hands at the same time, so your rythme gets better than if you had learned to play another instrument. (cept drums, but you don't use 10 fingers).

I agree, learning to play piano is easier if you have played another instrument but drums might not be a great help as they are untuned percussion and you have to then learn to read music which is the hard part. If however you just want to learn to play Coldplay songs and not actually read music then that would be easy enough. I've played piano fro quite a while now and if your gona get lessons my advice is stick at it. the number of times i nearly gave up. but its all worth it int he end. Good luck!!

p.s dont be put off by age, it really doesnt matter, if you really wana learn then you'll do great! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the drums are the easiest instrument to play. Anyone can play the drums, who just have to have a good sense of beat and rythm and an ear for music and your set. As far as playing coldplay songs, they aren't really hard to play. Coldplay has basically the same beat in every song. Especially the drums. All there songs sound similar in beat and rythm. Not saying its a bad thing. There on of the best bands in the world. I think that there next album needs to be harder, still with piano but more songs like politik. Im also trying to learn to play the piano. It doesnt matter if your 50 years old, if you dedicate yourself to something you will succeed, im going to dedicate myself to learning the piano. Its actually good to learn the guitar first because the instruments are very similar in a notes standpoint. But learning the piano first if fine also..... :rolleyes:

Piano is fabulous.

I just started taking lessons three or four months ago, and I'm 16, so it's no big deal. It does help it's my grandma, though, and as such I haven't had to pay for anything.

By the way, being able to read sheet music is VERY important. If you have a perfectly in tune ear, then with time you'll be okay without being able to read sheet music, but otherwise you're never going to be fully accomplished. If you've got no ear you're sunk too, though. :lol: Because when looking at music you're going to need to know how it sounds or you'll think you're playing the right things when in reality you've got bad notes all over the place. Then playing becomes only technical, and that's dull.

Plus, reading sheet music is important if you want to go anywhere on piano but for playing Coldplay songs or whatnot. Like if you're playing at an event and there's a vocalist who wants you to be able to accompany them on piano on a song you don't know. A player going just by ear won't be able to do it, but a pianist who can read sheet music instantly knows the key and the tempo of the song, so they're a much more versatile player than someone going by ear.

And the drummers I've known have told me that piano is very important for drummers. It's all about rythm and a good ear, I suppose. Champion is excellent on both, so there you go.

it doesn't matter how late you start...chris staretd playing piano very late and look at him...talent will only take you so far though...practice is the key

as for guitar...piano and guitar are pretty much the same in terms of difficulty

its good to know how to read music b/c its pretty much the same for guitar and piano so if you start on one you are pretty much set.

bass and drums are actually very easy to start out...though complicated bass lines and speedy drum lines can get very complicated...but in terms of coldplay alot of their stuff is very easy and repetetive.

the most complcated song i have seen guy play on bass wasn't a coldplay song at all...it was the kylie minogue song they played at glastonbury

I have played several instruments over my years in school (violin for a year, trumpet for a year, and baritone horn for 7 years).

Learning an instrument does take alot of practice. I wish I practiced more in school. It truly helped me out in school, because I looked forward to band class. And marching band.....though that took ALOT OF PRACTICE.

I tried learning guitar, but even though I am a righty, I played the guitar left handed (strumming with my left hand.) Not too many lefty guitars out there.

I was getting successful at bass guitar (cause baritone horn was in bass clef, and I could read it easily), but I had to sell my bass guitar for money. Rough times :(.

I never learned piano or keyboard, but my sistter has a keyboard. My sister is trying now, and I just learned a bit of "Clocks" and "The Scientist". Didn't take me long, probably because I could read sheet music, but I wrote in the notes on the page :).

I took Music Theory in high school, but I hated my teacher...which turned me off of music a little bit.

I plan on getting my own keyboard. and just learning from books. I learn quickly with books. Books can be a useful tool. They are portable, and sometimes come with a CD that you can play along with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great topic. I think I like this message board than the offical Coldplay one.

I am thinking slightly about playing the piano. I was talking to a class mate of mine in my Communication class (we actually both had Coldplay lyric references in our speeches the past class), and he is a Coldplay fan as well. He says he'd like to buy a piano. He also likes writing lyrics.

I myself am wondering how much money I'd have to invest into a piano. I'm guessing it's a lot of money either way. I have always been one to listen to music, but not to play. Would I have to buy a full sized piano (or even a digital piano), or could I just buy a keyboard? Help me out here!!

Here is a store that just moved into a city not far at all from me.

http://www.guitarcenter.com

Here is probably what I'd be considering I'm guessing

http://www.guitarvision.com/mf/mf_frameset.htm

Note, the prices are in American dollars. If I were to get serious about buying a keyboard, my price range I'd say would be from $100-$400. I wouldn't trust buying anything used off of Ebay. I'm NEVER dealing with that crappy site EVER again. I should have learned my lesson when I got ripped of buying. But no...I tried selling, and got ripped off again. Shame on me... :rolleyes:

Its not too hard, Ive been playing the piano for 5 years, But then again I might think its easy because Ive been around music my Whole life, If you need help with anything just Ask, I play the drums, Bass, A little guitar but mostly Piano. Ide be happy to help you.

Its not too hard' date=' Ive been playing the piano for 5 years, But then again I might think its easy because Ive been around music my Whole life, If you need help with anything just Ask, I play the drums, Bass, A little guitar but mostly Piano. Ide be happy to help you.[/quote']

What kind of piano would you recommend? A digital piano? Also, did you receive lessons?

Piano must be the most comfortable instrument to play :lol: .
Unless your head-banging all the time like the pianist of Keane.. lol. I imagine in that case' date=' it must be painful.[/quote']Lol I can play songs by Keane too! But Coldplay songs are a lot more fun! Especially Talk!

im thinking about taking lessons' date=' but a 17 yr old guy taking piano lessons sounds kind of weird. and if i cant learn i would have wasted all that money. but i still might take 'em[/quote']

I've always considered playing the piano (especially playing it well) for a guy is a very big plus. It's like cooking. And you can't get good at it unless you start, right?

I played piano for many years and then gave it up. Coldplay's inspired me to take it up again, though, so I think I will as soon as I return from my trip to England.

If one can read music and hold a beat, one can play the piano, in (I'd say) about a week. Not very good, but one could play. Coordination is the key, and being able to play Coldplay is just behind the door. I play Fix You with ease and sing it at the same time, and let me tell you, it's so satisfying. Especially when you're a Coldplay fan. Keep goin if you ever feel frustrated. It's all good.