----------------------------------------------

Means:

8 Fret 6th string.

8 Fret 5th string.

10 Fret 4th string.

So one would use fingers 1 - 2 - 3

Am I on the right track?

Kevin

E----12------12-----------9---------9-------------------------------------------

B---------------------12-------12------------------------------------------------

G---------9------9-------------------------------------------------------------

D----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A----------------------------------------------------------------------------

E----------------------------------------------------------------------------

^Imagine that as the guitar laid flat on the floor. The number you see is the fret that you play on each string. see is you can tell me what song that is. Remember, you can use whatever fingers you like.

So that means I'm on the right track then. I do understand those tabs then. I must have sounded dumb with that question.

As for the song, well I can't figure it out. I haven't tried any of Coldplay songs yet. I'm also not really good at listening to a song and understanding entirely what is being played (re: chords). I'm new to this, and I mean really new.

Looks like my first song I will learn is "Wish you where here" by Pink Floyd. Easy song to learn. I'm looking forward to playing Coldplay. Especially "Scientist". Actually sat and litened to the acoustic in that song. What a song. Really like that one.

Kevin

I hope you took me serious when I said I am a beginner acoustic player. I've learnt most of the chords, and learnt some strumming patterns. I'm not sure how the strumming patterns work though, because every song is different. I guess I will have to actually listen for the strumming patterns on the songs to know. Or is there a consistent strumming pattern that Coldplay uses?

I'm starting lessons next week. I'm sorry if my questions are wasting any of your time.

Kevin

If you're strumming along to a song, you don't have to stick to a strict pattern. You just have to strum in rythm. There are little patterns you can use but you pick those up in time. Don't worry, your questions aren't wasting my time at all!

Thanks Kapone. I'm very anxious to start learning Coldplay material. I was lucky enough to get strumming ideas for songs like "Knocking On Heaven's Door". It feels so good to get a tune going. But I'll feel much better when I can play "Scientist". That song has awesome lyrics to it and sound.

Kevin

Hey the song "Scientist" would I be picking up the rythym accurately if I'm hearing just downstrokes? I think I hear some upstrockes, but can't make it out for sure. Anyone?

The song seems to be an easy song to pick up on guitar. However, it seems like a song that needs other instruments to make it sound better. Still sounds good to me though.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Good luck on your guitar playing man. I taught myself a few years back and I remember that the first few monthes were extremely frustrating. Don't feel bad if you don't get it at first. And don't forget to try to learn how to fingerpick too. Fingerpicking takes a lot of patience to learn but it is very rewarding for any guitarist. Practice hard man. Good luck.

Hello Acoustiks,

Thanks. I'm having so much fun with this. I'm 26 years old, and never really thought of playing guitar. Just since I started listening to U2 and Coldplay have I became to have an interest in music like never before. There is just something about the sounds they create that blows my mind. The most attractive sounds to me is the acoustic and the piano sounds.

I can't put the guitar down for more then 10 minutes :) I hope I could play all of Coldplay songs in the near future. I must admit though some of their songs really work the fingers, making me use them like they have never been used before. I'm thinking there is easier ways to play it, just will have to learn as I go.

Kevin

Hey Acoustiks. I signed the ONE Declaration. You know its exactly this sort of stuff I hope to write about, if I ever get to write some of my own songs. Not expecting to reach a large audience, but at least reach friends and family when I play for them at gatherings. Its a great way to talk to family and friends is through the music.

Hey do you play "One" by U2? Maybe you have the tabs and YOUR strumming pattern you can share with me. Maybe e-mail it instead of using this Coldplay forum.? Thanks in advance.

[email protected]

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Thanks so much for signing the declaration. I wasn't expecting anyone to even notice my signature, ha ha. I'm a big supporter of the one campaign. To me, making poverty history is such an important and relevant issue in our society. I was so glad that they held the Live 8 concert which attracted so much attention and support. I think this is why I love Coldplay so much. They're musicians who also fight for causes and are aware of what's going on around them. Anyways, about U2's "one". It's a super easy song to play. Maybe we can talk about it in another thread cause I think we're taking up too much of Kapone's space. lol.

Oh, and I'm really glad you're enjoying the guitar. 26 is never too old to start learning. I taught myself when I was 18. Give me a shout if you need help in any way.

Ok Guys, Here is a guide, Page by Page of which of Kapone's Tabs you can find them on...

PAGE 1

green eyes

trouble (vh1 acoustic)

fix you

swallowed in the sea

a message

PAGE 2

help is round the corner

the scientist (electric)

yellow (acoustic)

PAGE 3

warning sign

see you soon

PAGE 4

don't panic

till kingdom come

PAGE 5

sparks

PAGE 6

scientist (acoustic)

PAGE 7

fix you (full band acoustic)

spies

speed of sound

PAGE 8

easy to please

brothers and sisters

PAGE 9

god put a smile upon your face

we never change

PAGE 11

careful where you stand

PAGE 13

rush of blood to the head

high speed

PAGE 15

have yourself a merry little christmas (transcribed)

hardest part

square one (electric)

There are some more tabs in and inbetween...

• 2 weeks later...