✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Paul Weller Slams 'Bland' Coldplay

busybeeburns

Former Jam frontman Paul Weller has launched a scathing attack on the music of Coldplay and pop newcomer James Blunt, describing their songs as "fucking bland".

The songwriter is delighted his children are as passionate about music as Weller was during his teen years, but thinks much of today's music lacks the vigour of music from past decades. Weller, 47, says, "My two eldest kids are just mad for music and it's great to see another generation who are passionate about music, especially after those fallow years of Westlife and reality bullshit. It's good to go out to gigs again.

"I don't get Coldplay and James Blunt though. They bore the shit out of me. I've met Chris Martin before and I don't want to slag him off because he's a lovely lad, but his music is too fucking bland."

Source: contactmusic.com

:lol: Yeah, exactly.

Personally I find Paul Weller's music pretty bland and not particularly memorable.

I went to see James Blunt last weekend at the Barrowlands in Glasgow and enjoyed it a lot. Great atmosphere. Great guy. And great support band!! 'The Boy Least Likely to'. I was really impressed. :D

God that sounded like a review didn't it? :lol: 'Great night out for all the family...5 stars all round!'

Yeah, Paul Weller has some great stuff I think but he shows he lack of understanding when he puts James Bland (I mean Blunt ;) ) and Coldplay together like that. Coldplay aren't like Blunt at all. People who think Coldplay are similar to Blunt are WAY off and don't know what they are talking about.

There are alot of people who tend to put bands & artists together like that - I guess they aren't listening to the music in the same way I am. Fools.

Former Jam frontman Paul Weller has launched a scathing attack on the music of Coldplay and pop newcomer James Blunt, describing their songs as "fucking bland".

The songwriter is delighted his children are as passionate about music as Weller was during his teen years, but thinks much of today's music lacks the vigour of music from past decades. Weller, 47, says, "My two eldest kids are just mad for music and it's great to see another generation who are passionate about music, especially after those fallow years of Westlife and reality bullshit. It's good to go out to gigs again.

"I don't get Coldplay and James Blunt though. They bore the shit out of me. I've met Chris Martin before and I don't want to slag him off because he's a lovely lad, but his music is too fucking bland.

Source: contactmusic.com

HE's a fine one to talk!! His best years were with The Jam - and that was long, long ago! :angry:

Most people judge Coldplay soley on what they hear on the radio. I'm bored with Speed of Sound, so I don't blame him for saying that.

However, many of Coldplay's best songs are unknown by most of the public, so they never hear the true depth and emotion of their music.

*cough*everythingsnotlostpolitikwarningsignamsterdamwhiteshadowslowtilkingdomcome*cough*

Excuse me. ^_~

Weller makes himself look a bit silly really, slightly ignorant.....when infact he probably isn't. Real music fans can see why what he said is misguided but alot of happy go, only radio listeners will just think back to the overplayed singles.

:confused: Slightly irritating.

Couldn't agree with your more, YamiMarik528!

As for Weller, well. *jots down his name on mile long list of people who think Coldplay are shit*

Hmmm, still not nearly as long as the people who think they're THE shit.

:smug: :lol:

"I don't get Coldplay and James Blunt though. They bore the shit out of me.

that's how its supposed to be- parents are not meant to get the music of today :P

except the cool ones :cool:

*rofl* that was exactly my first thought as well... :D

Famous songs by ska-punkers The Jam:

A Town Called Malice

Going Underground

Start

The Bitterest Pill

Eton Rifles

He was also subsequently an integral member of The Style Council, who had a number of hits such as "My Ever Changing Moods".

Guitarist/vocalist Paul Weller broke up the Jam, the most popular British band of the early '80s, at the height of their success in 1982 because he was dissatisfied with their musical direction. Weller wanted to incorporate more elements of soul, R&B, and jazz into his songwriting, which is something he felt his punk-oriented bandmates were incapable of performing. In order to pursue this musical direction, he teamed up in 1983 with keyboardist Mick Talbot, a former member of the mod revival band the Merton Parkas. Together, Weller and Talbot became the Style Council — other musicians were added according to what kind of music the duo were performing. With the Style Council, the underlying intellectual pretensions that ran throughout Weller's music came to the forefront.

Although the music was rooted in American R&B, it was performed slickly — complete with layers of synthesizers and drum machines — and filtered through European styles and attitudes. Weller's lyrics were typically earnest, yet his leftist political leanings became more pronounced. His scathing criticisms of racism, unemployment, Margaret Thatcher, and sexism sat uneasily beside his burgeoning obsession with high culture. As his pretensions increased, the number of hits the Style Council had decreased; by the end of the decade, the group was barely able to crack the British Top 40 and Weller had turned from a hero into a has-been.

Released in March of 1983, the Style Council's first single "Speak Like a Child" became an immediate hit, reaching number four on the British charts. Three months later, "The Money-Go-Round" peaked at number 11 on the charts as the group was recording an EP, Paris, which appeared in August; the EP reached number three. "Solid Bond in Your Heart" became another hit in November, peaking at number 11.

The Style Council released their first full-length album, Cafe Bleu, in March of 1984; two months later, a resequenced version of the record, retitled My Ever Changing Moods, was released in America. Cafe Bleu was Weller's most stylistically ambitious album to date, drawing from jazz, soul, rap, and pop. While it was musically all over the map, it was their most successful album, peaking at number five in the U.K. and number 56 in the U.S. "My Ever Changing Moods" became their first U.S. hit, peaking at number 29. In the summer of 1985, the Style Council had another U.K. Top Ten hit with "The Walls Come Tumbling Down." The single was taken from Our Favourite Shop, which reached number one on the U.K. charts; the record was released as Internationalists in the U.S. The live album, Home and Abroad, was released in the spring of 1986; it peaked at number eight.

And he's often referred to as "The Modfather"!!