✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Elliott Smith

God

xotattoos.jpg

people with tattoos in tribute to Elliott ...sweeeetttt

I like the butterfly one :wink:

Elliott has two known tattoos...one on his right arm of Ferdinand the Bull

he said once that he got it because of the story behind Ferdinand the bull and how he was so happy doing his own thing

the other one is on his left arm ... is of a state with a star on the city he lived in..which he hated ( i forget which one) I think it was of Texas with a star because he suffered alot there.

he explained getting that tattoo by saying that when he looked at his arms in the mirrors ..it reminded him of something bad he never wanted to be...

and that thought made him happy

http://www.muzieklijstjes.nl/Tips/smitheEitherOr.jpg

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crystal saved the world once again :nice:

i'll take (one of) my favourite(s)King's Crossing...i think this song is one of his sadest songs along with songs like True Love or Stickman

first of all...it has a great, haunting piano intro. but i was amazed with the lyrics and i still am...every line from this song...it's just perfect...lyrically!!! i can imagine kids reading "Elliott's poems" in some years...hopefully. he was a poet, the best of his generation.

anyway, back to song. i could choose every line, but i'll take (maybe) the most painful and most important lines, at least in my opinion. it's a difficult song. it has many meaning in my eyes:

1. drugs

"the judge is on vinyl, decisions are final

and nobody gets a reprieve...

...i can't prepare for death any more than i already have"

- he wants to stop...enough of drugs. but he realizes he can't...it's too late, something's lost. as it was said many times he couldn't make the 1st step of rehabilitaion...maybe he sings about this first step???...opinion

"i've seen the movie

and i know what happens"

- he knows all the consequences which the drugs will cause, but he isn't afraid. this line almost made me cry.

"but i don't care if i fuck up

i'm going on a date

with a rich white lady

ain't life great?

give me one good reason not to do it"

- he doesn't know what he does and he really doesn't care...the drugs took over him, rich white lady=heroin(?)

2. music industry

"the method acting that pays my bills

keeps the fat man feeding in beverly hills

i got a heavy metal mouth that hurls obscenity

and i get my check from the trash treasury"

- i think these are the easiest lines to explain...he's angry at Dreamworks and i can understand him. the music industry eats the artists. he's tired of this and he speaks out.

3.revenge

"it don't matter cause i have no sex life

all i want to do now is inject my ex wife"

- he's tired of girls. and maybe he's thinking about his relationships in the past...(opinion)

4. a hope someone will be there and will help him = positive end of the song

"this is the place where time reverses

dead men talk to all the pretty nurses

instruments shine on a silver tray

don't let me get carried away

don't let me get carried away

don't let me be carried away"

5. death/suicide

"open your parachute and grab your gun

falling down like an omen, a setting sun"

6. sarcasm

"the game looks easy that's why it sells"

- it has to be my favourite line (ahhh,no how can i say it??? i love every line equally...)

this line is clear for everyone i think

summarily:

- this song is about fighting for the life against all the demons (which are in his head)...paranoia

he's seen it, but he doesn't want to go back, he begs for help and hopes somebody will help him...and as the last lines describe: the life isn't over, i'm back from hell to live my life

10/10

one of the best songs ever written...perfect

i think much of his lyrics are molded by his life. I mean, he did have much drug problems and maybe his lyrical lingo has alot to do with his life styles.

Like in Miss Misery...

"I 'll fake it through the day

with some help from johnny walker red..."

this is the first line in the song (which almost won an award if Good Will Hunting would not have come out the same year as Titanic ..music awards)

and Johnny Walker red is an alcoholic beverage.

so his life is intertwined in his lyrics and it is hard to forget that when you try to search for meanings in your head that DONT have anything to do with him...

try as I might...mine always get mixed up and end up Elliott :rolleyes:

Which is your favorite album so far, Nik?

anyone? :huh:

I suppose Ben Folds must have known Elliott closely...how else would he have known if Elliott played some dirty b-ball? And he spoke of clubs where he played as if Elliott had seen what Ben saw and played there too.

elliott%20b-ball.jpg

Good to see all the love for Elliott here :) For anyone looking for rarities and live shows, may I suggest my website?

http://www.trashtreasury.com/

Give it a look; I promise you won't be disappointed. And while you're there, swing by the forum and say hello :)

Which is your favorite album so far, Nik?

anyone? :huh:

XO or Either/Or can't really decide... :/

though i put XO to the 1st place at the last page (some days ago), but it's really hard to choose between these 2. i say: XO atm...no Either/Or ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *suicide*

XO or Either/Or can't really decide... :/

though i put XO to the 1st place at the last page (some days ago), but it's really hard to choose between these 2. i say: XO atm...no Either/Or ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *suicide*

:dead:

MEAN!

cuz ...uhh you know.... *coughcough*

:uhoh:

that was mean, Nik :dozey:

anyway...August is coming up...his birthdate...

I made a shirt in honor of him...last year close to october (deathdate) i always wear it on both those dates :wink:

It's the only t-shirt i own with writing on it or anykind..I wear plain clothes...

anyway :rolleyes:

My prime choices would be between :

:heart: :heart: Either/Or

cuz that album has tracks: Angeles, Say Yes, Between the Bars, Pictures of Me, and 2:45

and

:heart: From a Basement on the Hill

cuz every track on there is near and dear to me :nice:

Roman Candle and XO hit there pretty close

and I could very well pick Figure 8.... JUST for the song 'Somebody That I Used to Know'

oh man :uhoh: ..Know I see where you went with the suicide joke :dead:

There's two videos that float around of him doing say yes, wearing that shirt, and both are labeled as from the last show, but it's clearly two different performances.

Here's one of them: http://www.archive.org/download/esmith2003-09-19.flac/esmith2003-09-19-sayyes.mov

Here's some excellent video footage of him in 1997:

http://www.trashtreasury.com/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=10000269&t=590

Here's a pile of assorted videos:

http://www.trashtreasury.com/elliott/video/

• 2 weeks later...
i think you're talking about his last show...

http://www.trashtreasury.com/html/elliott-smith-09-19-2003.html

i have a video of Say Yes, but since it was ripped from youtube, you can imagine the quality

my favorite version of 'Say Yes' is live i believe ... and before he sings into the mic...he clears his throat. I love that because it's got more of a living feeling to it. Makes your mind accept that he once was a living breathing-needs-to-clear-his-throat type of man.

Oh my oh my.

This is Elliott singing 'Angeles' my numero uno song by him.

It is not live, it is not a music video.

It's something else.

NOrmally, the lyrics to 'Angeles' say:

I could make you satisfied in everything you do

All your 'secret wishes' could right now be coming true

And be forever with my poison arms around you

But in the video of him singing and playing the song. He clearly, very clearly, says broken arms

Please watch it and you will not regret seeing his talent :kiss:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EAOxo8qH_AQ&search=Elliott%20Smith

:shocked2:

*Edit ....

This one has three songs: Between the Bars, Thirteen, and Angeles ..and Baby Britain (acoustic) in the very beginning.