• 7 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard-Fi reveal new single details

The band reveal all about their comeback

5 hours ago

Hard-Fi have revealed their new single will be called 'Suburban Knights'.

The track, out on August 20, will be the first song lifted from new album 'Once Upon A Time In The West'.

The follow-up to the band's 2005 debut 'Stars Of CCTV' is scheduled for release on September 3.

As previously reported on NME.COM, the Staines four-piece, recorded the album in an industrial unit outside their hometown.

Other tracks slated to appear on the album include 'Can't Get Along', 'We Need Love', 'I Close My Eyes', 'Help Me Please' and 'I Shall Overcome'.

--------------------

Bugger, I wish they gone away for good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Once Upon a Time in the West

414sxkbb2oL._SS500_.jpg

Once Upon a Time in the West

Hard-Fi

Kitchen Sink Records

Hard-Fi chalks up its less-than-inspired cover art as a reaction against the decline in the album cover's importance in the digital era: Who cares about nifty covers when it's just a two-inch square on your iPod screen, anyway? It's a good justification, but tear into Once Upon a Time in the West, and it's clear it's just another flimsy rock-star rationalization. The real motivation for the utilitarian cover art is Hard-Fi's just plain out of ideas.

That wouldn't be too much of an issue if the lack of inspiration was confined to the graphic-arts department for the band's sophomore effort, but by midway through this album, it's painfully clear Hard-Fi's running dry where it counts, in the songwriting.

After Hard-Fi's supporters rallied around the band to paint it as an up-and-comer ready to crash into rock's upper echelons, it'd be tough for the band to live up to expectations, but Once Upon a Time in the West doesn't just fail to deliver. It comes up short. Sounding more like a slightly misinformed pundit's vision of everything's that's supposed to be cool with the British rock scene ran through a pop-o-matic. Crisp guitar tones allude to the angular slashing of Franz Ferdinand and The Cribs, except that instead of cutting post-punk riffs, Hard-Fi smothers its songs in alt-rock guitars. Rhythms slide out of the purposefully sleazy shamble-rock fold and ditch the rubbery dance-punk sounds for something that's a radio-ready middle ground between the two, as vocals are, as expected, mixed cleanly into the affair. It's as influenced by the chart-topping conquests of Coldplay and U2 than the stylish excursions into the art-punk world.

It's as if, after garnering everything from hipster adulation to a Mercury Prize nomination for its rock/post-punk hybrid, Hard-Fi's ready to give up the struggling life of an independent band for something a little easier for everyday people to understand. It goes without saying that 2007 vintage Hard-Fi's a lot less interesting. "Suburban Knights" stumbles through pop territory with massive whoa-whoa lead-in vocals before falling on warmed-over art-punk. "Can't Get Along" and "Little Angel" sound as if Smashmouth was covertly trying to invade the indie underground, while "I Shall Overcome" somehow confuses impotent white-kid funk/disco with art punk. Those aren't even the low points, either. "Television" goes all piano-ballad on us, only Hard-Fi isn't secure enough to banish the rock guitars for more than a verse or two, derailing whatever shot at mood the track had. "Watch Me Fall Apart" is a travesty of orchestral over-production as generic string arrangements sit at the center of an otherwise throwaway arrangement.

Hard-Fi seems to have spent about as much time coming up with new ideas for songs as it did with its cover art. And, like the sophomoric, totally not clever cover art, Hard-Fi's trying to pass it off as something witty. Anyone should be able to spot it as the puerile gimmick they both are.

http://www.aversion.com/bands/reviews.cfm?f_id=3262

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great band :) I don't know many songs but the few I listened to are awesome, and the Cover Arts are great, especially when they don't have one ^^. I should learn more things about them.

Love your new signature, LifeThatComes !! It made me search that thread... ^^

• 1 year later...

Hard-Fi new single: Good For Nothing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVe96l_h-SM]YouTube - ‪Hard-Fi - Good For Nothing [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO]‬‏[/ame]

Hard-Fi singer Richard Archer has admitted that Jay Z’s track ’99 Problems’ was the inspiration for the band’s new single ‘Good For Nothing’.

The Staines outfit premiered the track on Zane Lowe’s Radio 1 show in April as the first taster from their new album 'Killer Sounds', which is expected to be released later this year.

In an interview with BBC Newsbeat, Archer confessed that he’d been listening to Jay-Z while writing the song which is why it sounded "a lot" like '99 Problems' - but he also insisted he’d made "enough changes not to be sued".

He said: "When I wrote the tune, I wrote the tune to '99 Problems'. That was the sample I used just to get it off the ground, so that's why it probably sounds a lot like '99 Problems'."

http://www.hard-fi.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I discovered this band this week, they have some great songs but my favourites are:

Living For The Weekend

Good For Nothing

I Shall Overcome

I Close My Eyes

Little Angel

The King

Better Do Better

Move On Now

Fire In The House

Can't Get Along (Without You)

:D

they filmed it in Barcelona, Spain

I discovered this band this week, they have some great songs but my favourites are:

Living For The Weekend

Good For Nothing

I Shall Overcome

I Close My Eyes

Little Angel

The King

Better Do Better

Move On Now

Fire In The House

Can't Get Along (Without You)

:D

thanks for the info :thumbsup:

you online listened the last album or their previous ones too?

i discovered them with the 'working for the weekend' one.