✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

CCC [Overview]: Suggest ideas here

I just remembered that ebay has some policies regarding 'charity listings' (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/fundraising.html). So before we list our items, saying that all the proceeds go to charity, we have to look into this further.....or else we could be banned from ebay! (this happened to a friend of mine). Ack, so many complications....but we'll get it sussed out. :thumbsup:

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lunar...great t-shirt designs! Particularly like the 'beautiful world' blue/green color combo. I will most definitely buy a shirt. I don't think the $12 cost from Cafe Press is bad, especially with it going to charity. I don't mind paying more though. If it helps, I've bought a t-shirt from Cafe Press in the past and they seemed to be good quality: Hanes 100% Pre-shrunk cotton. I believe those proceeds also went to charity, but I'm not certain how it was arranged. If I come across any info, I'll pass it along. I'll be happy to pitch in where I can. :)

i don't know what to do. i'm in the middle of nowhere living with ppl with blatant smile on their faces to everything with some sense of doing meaningful stuff to the world.

the exceptions are when there's a proof they helped in any way so everyone can admire their "good deeds".

:bigcry:

:chinese: same here...:cry2:

I dont post much here but this idea really caught my attention... i love it and totally support it.

the banners rock!!!:lol:

its around 50++pesos a dollar where i live in... but i'd definitely buy a shirt or two. great job. :)

jus holler if i can do anything... you guys are really doing a good thing here. duh! :rolleyes4::)

If you ever find out how your other community went about selling the shirts calicat please let us know. I believe the $12 (from cafepress) isn't so bad, it's just as a base price is kinda iffy. If we wanted to make $10 for a charity, we'd have to start charging $22 for a simple shirt. I know a lot can do that and have no problem.. I'm thinking it'll be harder for younger folks to be able to talk their parents into buying a $22 dollar shirt. But maybe we can do both.. have eBay and cafepress, and instead of featuring shirts we can do mugs and buttons and use it for smaller things? Not sure.

I love those frosty!! :lol: So very creative, I think I'm gonna try to cheat the system and join two siggy pics as one.. it's easier with those because they aren't animating. :sneaky:

I just remembered that ebay has some policies regarding 'charity listings' (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/fundraising.html). So before we list our items' date=' saying that all the proceeds go to charity, we have to look into this further.....or else we could be banned from ebay! (this happened to a friend of mine). Ack, so many complications....but we'll get it sussed out. :thumbsup:[/quote']

Is it me or does that sound somewhat confusing? :dizzy: Maybe it's too early! :laugh4: I've never used eBay for selling before so I've been reading up on our options and how to set everything up properly. Is there anyone that has actually sold stuff through it?

I see there's various formats to selling, not sure which would be best for us.. though "fixed price" or "best offer" sound okay. And "store inventory" sounds nice but it looks like it has a lot of fees and pricey monthly charges. Should we start thinking about that sort of thing or is it still early?

I'll see if I can follow on Lune's footsteps and start designing some shirts today. Finalizing my thesis and studying for finals are sucking up all my friggin time.. :sad: Loving the shirts Nadia, they totally blow it out of the water! Glad you mentioned unisex, I was completely forgetting about that. Amazing job! :kiss:

Haha. What a rebel Vic. :lol:

Also, forumer.com has a deal with CafePress that's ultra good and exclusive. I don't really know much about it, but I have 2 accounts with them, so I'll look into it. If i can find out more about it perhaps I'll make a set of boards for us to use.

And also, no one answered the E-mail inquiry. I have several unused invites I could use to create a master Gmail account of sorts for this. I thought it could be "[email protected]" and a few of the members would be privvy to the password; such as myself, vic, an_cat, and lunar. If you'd like me to do this, Pm me so we can discuss the password.

I'll get back to you about forumer and CafePress either tonight or tomorrow.

I'm working on some prettier (And more compact) banners tomorrow as well.

And excellent t-shirt designs lunar! LOVE the green ('tis my favorite color).

Vic, it's not just you, that ebay stuff is hella confusing to me too. :rolleyes: BUT, this missionfish business (http://www.missionfish.org/index.html) seems like just what we need. See this: http://www.missionfish.org/About/mfnews/mfn_032906.jsp. From what I understand, it's creates a paypal account that is directly liked to a charity, and is supported by eBays Giving Works donation plan. (From eBay:....eBay has partnered with MissionFish to make charitable listing easy and has created very specific guidelines for allowing charitable solicitations on eBay. We will allow sellers to list items on eBay and collect proceeds (in whole or in part) on behalf of a charity, either via MissionFish, or directly on eBay, as long as the listings meet these guidelines.) Missionfish has a list of supported charities, so if we can find some organizations on there that we'd like our money to go to, I think it might be the best plan. What do you guys think?

Frosty, in any case, we'll need an email, so I say go ahead and make it. I like "coldplayingforcharity"....but maybe we could make it [email protected] to make it a bit easier to read? Or just [email protected]?

What exactly is the deal between forumer and CafePress?......would we get better CafePress deals?? :idea2: :sneaky: I think we may yet get our own forum here, so let's hold off on creating a new board elsewhere for now. But it's a good option!

Edit: Oh and Vic, best of luck with exams and your thesis!! :kiss: What's your topic?

Just popping in to say you guys are doing such great work :nice: ....sorry im not as actively helping as you lot, but im really not a creative person in any shape or form so im a bit crap at this stuff :\ ....but I think it's an amazing idea and if you need any help I will do my best! :wink:

Allie - would you mind if I used one of your banners? I'd quite like to use the 'raise your hand...' one, it's great! :thumbsup: Someone would have to let me know how to link it back to this thread though....I dont know how...:embarassed: :laugh4:

You guys are so great to try and pull something like this off :)

That I haven't posted earlier, doesn't mean I'm not reading this. I think it's fantastic, but I'm just not sure how I can contribute.

The only thing I can think of right now is that I could make some graphics, but Allie's already doing her amazing job there :)

No problem Steph!

I probably should've put instructions in my post. Sorry about that.

Just copy and paste this right here without the * :

[url*=http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28988][img*]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/FrostbitePanda/Icons%20and%20Graphics/cpccban2.jpg[/img][/url]

the good thing about that is that the code will stretch out the window instead of making multiple lines so you'll have a wider margin to write lots of stuff for your sig. :lol:

And ladybug, feel free to make any graphics you want! It'd be fantastic. :D

If you ever find out how your other community went about selling the shirts calicat please let us know. I believe the $12 (from cafepress) isn't so bad' date=' it's just as a base price is kinda iffy. If we wanted to make $10 for a charity, we'd have to start charging $22 for a simple shirt. I know a lot can do that and have no problem.. I'm thinking it'll be harder for younger folks to be able to talk their parents into buying a $22 dollar shirt. But maybe we can do both.. have eBay and cafepress, and instead of featuring shirts we can do mugs and buttons and use it for smaller things? Not sure.[/quote']

I did some perusing in the forum where I purchased my last Café Press t-shirt. That particular shop is no longer open, but in general, profits from the merchandise sold are paid directly to the shop owner in the form of a commission check. It does not appear that you can designate the money to be sent to a charity. The person who opens the shop and receives the commission would need to forward the money to the charitable group (the honor system). And I believe there is a 30-day lag time before the commission is received. Another item to note: the shop owner must agree not to use any copyrighted material. Back to lunar’s post above, the ‘missionfish.org’ site sounds like a good option to consider, as well.

Like the "Coldplaying for Charity" slogan…that would work nicely on a t-shirt as well. I lack graphic design skills…still a novice in PS. But I'm happy to lend whatever skills (software, ect.) I can. Great project!:)

Hi, just read this whole thread and think this is absolutely the best on here! I will take one of each of those shirts, the globes especially liked...they show to everyone who sees it a picture understood by anyone...liked the code too, although anyone who doesn't know Coldplay would not understand the code thing, but good for all the fans! Bumper stickers would be excellent, cause everyone would see that! The banners are great and funny too! The donate a dollar would raise alot of money...there's alot of members!

Not real good in any of the areas involved with the set up...but I can talk and talk to many people everyday that I see at Disney! And that is why I like the bumper sticker thing, as there are people from all over the world driving around Orlando! Hope this gets off and running, cause I would definitely do the shirts and bumper stickers! I was feeling such a void after the band leaving the US, now this would definitely fill that emptiness! Great work!

Barb :)

Hey, was just catching up with what I've missed in the past couple days.

Looks like Missionfish is what we're looking for. We'll have to work out the technicalities of "who's going to manage it??" stuff. I'm going to do a google search and see if there are any other forums (no matter WHAT the forum is associated with) which does something like this.

I would be very willing in managing a g-mail account, and I'm perfectly ok with whatever the password turns out to be ;) I have a very good memory. (No elephant jokes, now!!!) Feel free to PM me, anybody, about possibilities.

I'm going to start pimping this around the internet. Heh. And this is totally unrelated, but Allie, you have an LJ? Cool! You wouldn't mind if I added you? I don't update my LJ often at all (I stick to my Greatest Journal most of the time), but I always read my friends list.

Guh, looks like Amnesty International and UNICEF is supported by missionfish... I absolutely LOVE both of those organizations!

Keep posting guys, this is EXCELLENT! I love to see all the members who don't post that often coming out and giving us their support! Keep it comin'!:)

No problem Steph!

I probably should've put instructions in my post. Sorry about that.

Just copy and paste this right here without the * :

[url*=http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28988][img*]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/FrostbitePanda/Icons%20and%20Graphics/cpccban2.jpg[/img][/url]

Thankyou for that! :wink: I loves it! :D

As I said before...great job guys, this is really exciting stuff! :nice:

Okay, I have a lot of work to do so I could not read through the thread but...wow. I can't believe the response on this. I've always loved CP fans, and now I feel that much more proud to count myself in their number. Kudos, guys. Seriously.

I want to offer any admin-type help that I can. I have actually been sorta hoping something like this would happen, or waiting for an opportunity to instigate it myself. You see, some similar sorts of things have happened in the U2 community, and ever since my involvement in those, I've had an idea in the back of my head for a while, which was to start a website to help support groups and organizations of music fans who want to give back like this. Mostly because of Coldplay. I'm a huge fan of both bands, and many others.

Anyway, I know there has historically been a little bit of animosity between some Coldplay fans and U2 fans, but if you'll permit me I'd like to share the stories for those of you who don't know. I think you'll all agree that this is about more than the bands and their music.

First thing that happened was in 2002 when a bunch of U2 fans decided to travel to Dublin together. They came from ALLL over the world. It was pretty crazy. Well, I couldn't afford to go at the time, and I wanted to participate somehow, and I also really wanted to capitalize on the big-heartedness of U2 fans in some way. I decided to make t-shirts to commemorate the event, and sell it and give the profits to the Chernobyl Children's Project. To design it, I contacted someone I knew from the X-Files fan community who used to make cute little cartoons of Mulder and Scully hehe and I knew that she was a U2 fan. She lived in South Korea and couldn't really leave so U2 and X-Files were like her only outlet into the outside world. I asked her if she would make a little cartoon of U2 and she did a really awesome job. Too bad the website is down now, but I will try and find it on my old computer...

Anyway, we ended up raising over $500 for Chernobyl and sent it off with a letter from us and why we did it. I'm fairly sure we got a letter back, too...I'll have to check.

After that, I got ballsier and got involved with a group of fans who wanted to start an organization to raise money to build wells in Africa for people who didn't have clean water to drink. They got the idea from when Bono was on MTV Diaries with Chris Tucker and the then Secretary of Treasury of the US, Paul O'Neill I think was his name. There was this scene where they visited a villiage where a new well had been built and since then 3 times the amount of children were going to school and there were less people having to be taken to the hospital. One well costs $500-$1000 and it makes such a huge difference in their lives. So we started what eventually became the African Well Fund (www.africanwellfund.org) on which I served on the board of directors for about two years. It was one of the most fullfilling experiences of my life. I think since it's inception they've raised $145,000 to fund more than 40 clean water projects in Sub-Saharan Africa. It's craaazy.

Anyway, I wanted to share those stories because they both started exactly like this, and especially in the latter case I saw some amaaazing things happen. And learned a lot about how to do this stuff. So in that light I offer my services wherever I might be useful, and also, I hope, inspiration. Don't be afraid to dream big, you guys.

Thanks for letting me share. :)

• Like 1

Also, I like the name "Brothers and Sisters." Without the "United" part. It emphasizes that mere geography should no longer determine the haves and the have-nots; in a global community, we're all "brothers and sisters" and have to take care of each other.

Wow tinker, that's really inspirational stuff, thanks for sharing your stories! :nice:

I hope that this idea can grow as much as those did!....with great people like you willing to help out im sure it will! Everyone's doing such a great job so far, I wish there was more I could do to help!

Ooh it's very exciting!!! :D

Wow, Tinker! Firstly, let me just say a HUUUUUGE welcome from me! I'm involved in the U2 fan community, as well as here, and I knew about the stories you just told. In fact, I mentioned something like that earlier in this thread but I just didn't know the whole story, so I couldn't really get that much info on how it was run. But now that you're here, I'm sure you could help a LOT! So you played a part in having the whole "Build a well for Bono's birthday!" campaign? That's so cool!

I love the Brothers+Sisters idea, and I agree that we should leave "unite" out. This should be a no borders campaign, afterall, no matter where you live we've got to "carry each other";)

EDIT: Oy, I left my little happy rant out!

Well, what I would really like to see happen with this is something similiar to what the U2 fans did. Now that Coldplay is so world wide known, and so popular, I think it's time that the huge fanbase really get together and do good. Much like the U2 fans have done. Maybe we can even partner up with the U2 comm (yikes, I don't know how that'd fair....), as a sister project? I don't know, I'm just blabbing and throwing random thoughts out there and see what becomes of them.

Well' date=' what I would really like to see happen with this is something similiar to what the U2 fans did. Now that Coldplay is so world wide known, and so popular, I think it's time that the huge fanbase really get together and do good. Much like the U2 fans have done. Maybe we can even partner up with the U2 comm (yikes, I don't know how that'd fair....), as a sister project? I don't know, I'm just blabbing and throwing random thoughts out there and see what becomes of them.[/quote']

Partnering up with U2.com is not likely at this stage in the game. At the very most, they might hear about it and feature it in a blurb on the news page, and link to our site -- which in and of itself would probably crash our site lol. As of 2003, U2.com got about 6 million hits a day...god knows what it is now. That was before the site was rebuilt by a different company. (It still sucks, IMO lol.) Anyway, it's mostly a matter of credentials, but even then, they don't seem to have enough time on their hands to do very much. I've always been a little disappointed with the U2 website.

I hardly ever visit the U2 website, I get my news elsewhere. I keep subscribed so I can get my GA tickets, though....:rolleyes: Other than that, it doesn't mean much to me.

I'm thinking maybe with the U2 fans, and the actual organizations... maybe with them we could share some ideas. I don't know though, I'm new to all this organizing and stuff! LOL! But glad to know you're here, and you're willing to pitch in.