✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Nirvana

eddie is the better lyricist

no way! lol

It's debatable. I am not a big lyrics guy because most of the stuff I listen to has fairly cryptic lyrics. In other words, your guess is as good as mine in terms of song meaning. But most of the information I have read over the years holds them both in pretty high regard. You show me one list/article claiming Cobain is a better lyricist, and I'll show you one with Vedder at the top, and this will go on til the end of time.

MOST of this stuff is subjective, and these arguements take place on 99% of the discussion boards I read regarding 90s Grunge/Alternative music. If I had a nickel for every time I saw the Vedder, Cobain, Weiland, Cornell, Staley/Cantrell debate, I would not need to worry about money ever again.

My suggestion would be that you don't hold so tight to your personal preference and try to expand your horizons. Honestly, I did not like Eddie Vedder's voice when I first heard Pearl Jam back in the 90s, and some of my friends have made similar comments. However, it would be one of the biggest regrets of my life if I had not kept listening. The other artists in "The Big 5" are great, too. They all have greatest hits albums, so you can get only the highpoints, or most accessible moments, and decide if you wish to listen further.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its good to have a 90s music debate, especailly with all the crap that is popular today...ie jonas brothers..on a side note, i was never a huge pearl jam fan, but the into the wild soundtrack vedder did is very good.

Fortunately, Pearl Jam did a very nice job with their greatest hits collection, "Rearview Mirror." Disc 1 has all the hard hitting rock songs, and disc 2 has all the softer, more mellow songs. There are obviously going to be key omissions, but I would say that most of the key songs are here. Also, it draws heavily on the bands early days, or back when their music was more accessible and dominated the airwaves.

For a casual fan, anything after Vitology is going to be a difficult listen. However, the first three albums are absolute gold (with the exception of 1 or 2 songs on Vs. and Vitology that are absolute garbage, IMO).

Also, I know people who don't even listen to their studio albums, and instead, only listen to their live recordings, which are plentiful. No band that I know of has released as many concert recordings as Pearl Jam.

But I also love all the other 90s alt. bands. My own personal preference has always been as follows:

Pearl Jam>Stone Temple Pilots>Nirvana>Alice in Chains>Soundgarden

This is just an overall, personal generalization, as some of Soundgarden's material (the lowest on my ranking) is some of my absolute favorite stuff. It was a good time for great music.

^^

alot of crap was popular back in the 90s also. crap will always be popular. but i do agree that there is a complete absence of decent music in the charts at the moment but i dont really care i enjoy digging deep to find great artists.

the point is early 90s nirvana and peal jam etc where at the top of the charts, now you do have to dig deep especially in america, where all thats on the radio is ti and lil wayne and lady gaga. You have to search for bands like kol(before sex on fire) and mgmt where as they should be on the radio.

the point is early 90s nirvana and peal jam etc where at the top of the charts, now you do have to dig deep especially in america, where all thats on the radio is ti and lil wayne and lady gaga. You have to search for bands like kol(before sex on fire) and mgmt where as they should be on the radio.

Yeah, I agree with you completely. I don't really get it either, and I don't understand why the majority of young kids aren't into stuff that is more "edgy" or "progressive." Maybe that is what rap/hip-hop is achieving, but I would not know because I am not a fan of this music. I am really at a loss for words on this one, but I keep waiting for the pedulum to swing back in the other direction.

Yeah, I agree with you completely. I don't really get it either, and I don't understand why the majority of young kids aren't into stuff that is more "edgy" or "progressive." Maybe that is what rap/hip-hop is achieving, but I would not know because I am not a fan of this music. I am really at a loss for words on this one, but I keep waiting for the pedulum to swing back in the other direction.

true me too, while listening to silversun pickups today i had a flashback to the 90s haha theyre like straight out of the early 90s. Its just a different culture in America especially over the past 10 years. In Britain, rock music is a cornerstone of life and its not as hard to find great new bands and they usually discover the great american bands, it used to be like that in the US as well. Im not a fan of rap but some of eminem and jayz and tupac is pretty good, but the new stuff is so watered down its terrible. They keep shoving garbage like lil wayne and the jonas bros and miley cyrus in your face like its any good, i mean jonas bros were nominated for a grammy..how irrelevant has that awards show become. I think now is the right time for a band like nirvana or pearl jam to swing the direction back in the favor of rock. then again maybe it will never be like that again.

i just think its a sad reflection of society and how superficial people have become. people are more interested in gossip and drama. now i've only lived in one city my whole life that being sydney and i think the media especially radio tells us alot. the most popular show is driven by sleazy gimmicks, stupid pranks and talentless announcers. and saturated in nothing but top 10 hits. the ones who talk about real issue and interesting informative topics are struggling. people in this era dont like having their faults pointed out, rather they would prefer to laugh at other peoples problems and shortcomings.

we're in desperate need of another punk generation of bands. not necessarily a kurt cobain or eddie vedder. just a band who know what they're talking about and are passionate about music and can portray that in a radio-friendly way.

That's fine. I don't have a problem with a single thing you said here. You're correct, Nirvana is one of the greatest bands in music history, and they made amazing contributions. I would never try to debate that issue. I like Eddie's voice a lot, but I am also a fan of Kurt's. Like I said, if we were talking about level of emotion, distinctness, vulnerability, or proper fit for the style of music, I got nothing. But when we are talking about power and strength in vocals, let's call a spade a spade.

Well, :thinking: yes; you ´re right.

i just think its a sad reflection of society and how superficial people have become. people are more interested in gossip and drama. now i've only lived in one city my whole life that being sydney and i think the media especially radio tells us alot. the most popular show is driven by sleazy gimmicks, stupid pranks and talentless announcers. and saturated in nothing but top 10 hits. the ones who talk about real issue and interesting informative topics are struggling. people in this era dont like having their faults pointed out, rather they would prefer to laugh at other peoples problems and shortcomings.

we're in desperate need of another punk generation of bands. not necessarily a kurt cobain or eddie vedder. just a band who know what they're talking about and are passionate about music and can portray that in a radio-friendly way.

Yesterday i was talking with my dad about this, he is a rock critic and he knows a lot of rock bands, he told me that now new bands only wants to get money, they don´t think about lyrics and they aren´t passionate about music. I think another punk generation is a beautiful dream, but just a dream.

:P

I think their In Utero album is the best of the 3 (studio albums) they released.

You can't compare singles chart from these days with singles chart from the 90s because in the 90s you had to buy the CD single/vinyl, whereas most single sales these days are downloads, and buying a dodgy download is less embarrassing than buying a dodgy CD

I agree: In Utero is the best! :D but Nevermind and bleach are excellent too!

I don´t like downloads:P, i think buy CDs is better. I also like vinyls. I read In Utero will be re-released in vinyl, i want to have it! :lol:

Nirvana Releasing Live DVD, 'Life Takes No Prisoners,' in May

In March, Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic advised fans that his old band didn’t have any more songs left in the vault but that there was “a lot of video.” Some of that video will be making its way to consumers at the beginning of May with the release of Life Takes No Prisoners, a DVD document of the band’s 1992 performance at the Reading Festival during the height of their popularity.

Those of you who own Live! Tonight! Sold Out!!, Nirvana’s brilliant 1994 concerts-plus-interviews film, will remember that the Reading performance was the one where Kurt Cobain was rolled out in a wheelchair at the beginning of the show. By all accounts, it was a pretty amazing concert. Life Takes No Prisoners – which has a huge helping of tracks from Nevermind, Bleach, and their odds-and-sods collection Incesticide – is set to come out on Monday, May 4 in the U.K., so presumably we in the States will be able to pick it up the next day.

http://rock.about.com/b/2009/04/21/nirvana-releasing-live-dvd-life-takes-no-prisoners-in-may.htm