✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Steve "crocodile hunter" Irwin died in accident

vertigo caz

Croc Hunter Steve Irwin dead in accident

Monday Sep 4 15:10 AEST

Television personality and environmentalist Steve Irwin has died in a marine accident in north Queensland.

The 44-year-old is believed to have been killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

He was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas when the accident occurred.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) said a call was received about 11am (AEST) on Monday and an emergency services helicopter was flown to the boat on Batt Reef, off the coast near Cairns, with a doctor and emergency services paramedic on board.

Mr Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

It's believed Mr Irwin's American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and has yet to be told of her husband's death.

Mr Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He's also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

The Irwins have two children - a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin, eight, and a three-year-old son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin.

Bob was involved in a controversial incident with his father in January, 2004, when he dangled him near a crocodile at Australia Zoo.

Mr Irwin carried his infant son in one arm while feeding a dead chicken carcass to a crocodile with the other hand.

Child welfare and animal rights groups criticised his actions as irresponsible and tantamount to child abuse.

Mr Irwin stated any danger to his son was only a perceived danger and that he was in complete control of the situation.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Mr Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=127458

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia's Crocodile Hunter dies

This morning Steve Irwin, internationally known as the Crocodile Hunter died. Personally, I live only a few km away from the Australian Zoo and the news of his sudden and tragic death is deeply felt. His death was a result of a diving expedition which went horribly wrong when a stringray stung Steve in the chest.

The news is shocking and I absolutely couldn't believe it at first. Althought I never personally knew him, I think the world of wildlife conservation and the world in general, has lost someone very passionate. Anyone who has seen his show or watched him in interviews would agree he was one of a kind and was always willing to be entertaining and make fun of himself or anything really, just to get the message of conservation across. He will be missed :( :(

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/09/04/1157222051494.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-09-04-obit-irwin_x.htm

500904_5.jpg

I watched his show 20 minutes before I found out about this. Seriously.

THIS IS SO FUCKING SAD. OMG. :(

I'm not kidding! This is really depressing me, oh man.

i know! i just found out and i thought i was a sick joke. it's so sad. even thought i didn't know-know him, i kinda feel like i did. no more corocodile hunter.....:cry:

OH MY GOODNESS! i am so sad, i heard it on tv just a few mins ago! i live not too far away from australia zoo and i just went earlier this year, and saw him there.

he has dont so much for animals and australia zoo, which was pretty much unknown before he took up the role of ambassdor. he will definately be missed !

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, poor little bindi!

a truely remarkable australia,

CRICKY!

TEN is going to show a tribute to him tonight, but I agree with that as well. He definitely deserves it after what he has accomplished.

I feel sorry for his wife and 2 children. Terri wasn't even with him when he died, and he died doing something for his daughter.

a great australian and a passionate human being.

This is devastating news.

Steve had an incredible zest for life and was intensely passionate about his conservation work.

This came across loud and clear in his shows.

He did seem to have a certain "invincibility" about him, which makes this all the more shocking.

But even his death is a lesson to us all about the power of "mother nature" and just how fragile life is.

You have to feel for his wife and children.

I have no doubt a film will be made about Steve's life one day. It's a remarkable story.

This is devastating news.

Steve had an incredible zest for life and was intensely passionate about his conservation work.

This came across loud and clear in his shows.

He did seem to have a certain "invincibility" about him, which makes this all the more shocking.

But even his death is a lesson to us all about the power of "mother nature" and just how fragile life is.

You have to feel for his wife and children.

I have no doubt a film will be made about Steve's life one day. It's a remarkable story.