✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Live Earth Thread

busybeeburns

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, they're too loud and crashy, and their songs suck. I couldn't bear to listen to them.

Same goes for Metallica and Spinal Tap.

RHCP don't do anything for me either, while Kasabian are too "shouty".

Paolo Nutini I just don't get at all.:dozey:

One plus point, though - no sign of junkie Pete!!

Foo Fighters are AMAZING live. and until you have heard them live, in the flesh, I wont regard your comment on them.

You just like shitty boring music like Snow Patrol don't you....harmless, boring and samey music. yuk.

Foo Fighters are AMAZING live. and until you have heard them live, in the flesh, I wont regard your comment on them.

That kind of torture isn't worth it, I'm afraid.

You just like shitty boring music like Snow Patrol don't you....harmless, boring and samey music. yuk.

While you seem to be more of a fan of noise than music.;)

Coldplay, Keane, Travis and Snow Patrol are the best bands in the world, and the bonus is that you can understand every word they're singing.:smug:

Yeah,go the Foo Fighters!!!

i'm assuming they used solor power energy for all those stage lights and video screens, not to mention the musical equipment etc..... :rolleyes:

Yes they used Solar Power.

I assume they covered London entirely in solar panels to generate enough solar power?

I 2nd that, I will always remember the 10th December, in the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff where the Foo Fighters did a shorter set than normal (they were supporting Oasis), but did all the hits. And the laser show during The Best of You on the roof :D

American TV viewers snub Live Earth to watch re-run of Monsters Inc

Last updated at 12:27pm on 10th July 2007 commentIconSm.gif Comments (4)

A re-run of a six-year-old animation beat Live Earth in television views in the US. The three-hour NBC programme marking the global day of Live Earth concerts was the least-watched show on mainstream US television on Saturday night.

The average audience throughout the screening was a meagre 2.7 million viewers and was beaten by animated film Monsters Inc.

Scroll down for more...

Read more...

bonjoviG1007_468x307.jpgGreenie Bon Jovi kept the crowds happy for New York's Live Earth gig, though television viewers preferred a re-run of Monsters Inc.

Despite the bleak figures, 19 million people saw some Live Earth coverage in the US at some point during the day, according to Nielson Media Research.

Online the show fared much better with MSN saying the internet broadcast of the gigs set a new record for an entertainment event.

More than nine million "streams" were generated during the day, surpassing the previous peak for the Live 8 concerts to fight global poverty in 2005.

The Live Earth events were staged in nine worldwide locations which included Tokyo, Hamburg and Rio de Janeiro, and concluded with the US event at Giants Stadium in New Jersey.

Scroll down for more...

stingR1007_468x288.jpgSting took to the stage for New York's Live Earth show on Saturday night

Acts including Pink Floyd, The Police, Kanye West and KT Tunstall took to the stage.

Former US Vice-President Al Gore, who inspired the Live Earth project, made an appearance, telling concert-goers: "Put all of this energy in your heart and help us solve the climate crisis."

Mr Gore and his fellow activists have attracted criticism from high-profile charity figures such as Live Aid and Live 8 organiser Bob Geldof.

He has accused Live Earth of lacking achievable goals.

And the musicians taking part - such as Madonna, who played at London's Wembley Stadium - were accused of setting bad examples with celebrity lifestyles that included world tours and CO2 emission-raising private jets.

Grammy-winning guitarist John Mayer acknowledged after his set at Giants Stadium that rock stars were not necessarily good environmental role-models.

Scroll down for more...

liveearthusaEPA1007_468x282.jpgThe audience in New Jersey was bulging, but back home it was a switch-off event

"If you want to peg me as not being entirely eco-friendly, you'll win," he said.

"I also think it's very difficult to judge the success of a movement. You can't find out by nine o'clock this evening how much awareness was raised."

He added: "What you're really talking about is the placement of an idea at a rock show."

In the UK, TV coverage of Live Earth was watched by an average audience of 3.1 million viewers between 2000 and 2200 BST, less than a third of the figure for the previous weekend's Concert for Diana.

LITTLEJOHN: Saving the planet while the English swim for their supper

21:16pm 9th July 2007 commentIconSm.gif Comments (38) richard_littlejohn.jpg

When it comes to 'climate change' - what we used to call the weather - I'm with Professor Higgins. In Herefordshire, Hertfordshire and Hampshire hurricanes hardly ever happen.

The operative word here is 'hardly'. One of these fine days, Hoddesdon or Hemel Hempstead might well be trashed by a hummer of a hurricane. You never can tell. We've had freak storms, floods and heatwaves since time immemorial.

People still talk about the frozen winter of 1947. I seem to remember 1963 being a bit parky, too. Back in the summer of 1976, parts of the country looked like the Kalahari.

We were assured then that this was the start of an inexorable shift in the weather, which would see vineyards flourishing in Aberdeen and giant wildebeest sweeping majestically across the Peak District.

Newspapers hired Red Indian medicine men to perform rain dances in Trafalgar Square. Ministers urged us to start sharing baths and stop flushing the toilet to save water.

Scroll down for more...

littlejohnDM_468x321.jpg

The then Labour government even appointed Denis Howell, a former football referee turned MP, as Minister of Drought. About 24 hours after he got the job, the heavens opened and it didn't stop raining for six months.

I can't recall Showaddywaddy requisitioning Wembley Stadium for a global warming concert. Nor can I find any mention of Flanagan and Allen or the Andrews Sisters doing a Save The Planet gig as Britain shivered in the aftermath of the Second World War.

If people want to have a party, good luck to them. But spare us the sermons. Is there anyone in the Western world still unaware of 'climate change'? It's rammed down our throats 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

I wasn't surprised to see Sting topping the bill this weekend. He's got plenty of previous. Remember that picture of him sitting next to an Amazon tribesman who appeared to have a CD in his mouth?

That was supposed to make us all feel guilty about the destruction of the rainforests. It certainly helped Greenpeace knock out a few T-shirts. But it didn't stop the locals razing hundreds of thousands of acres. Maybe that's the origin of the expression, 'having a Brazilian'.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the possible destruction of Epping Forest. While parts of the North and the Midlands are up to their necks in water, the Government is proposing to build hundreds of thousands of new homes on flood plains in the South-East.

The imbecile responsible for this plan is none other than Two Jags, member for Hull, which is one of the cities worst hit by the recent flooding. I wonder what his constituents made of the preposterous preening at Wembley and elsewhere on Saturday.

The chances of any of the money generated by Live Earth ending up on Humberside are less than zero.

Gordon Brown, last seen handing over £8 billion of our money to Africa just so he could have his picture taken with Nelson Mandela, has grudgingly allocated a paltry £14 million to flood relief here.

When the 'new' Prime Minister visited Hull at the weekend, a sheetmetal worker shouted at him: "We've paid our taxes all our lives and now we want something back.

"If you're on benefits, you get new houses and furniture, but where's the help for hard-working families?"

Precisely. If the flooding was somewhere exotic in the 'emerging world', there'd be TV appeals for the disaster fund, the Government would be sending troops and pop stars would be scrambling over each other to appear at the benefit concert. The people of England can swim for their supper.

Live Earth has to be the most fatuous fundraiser ever. Where is the money going?

Sorry if I sound like a heretic, but while I accept we shouldn't deliberately pollute and do our best to recycle our rubbish, I don't accept that 'climate change' is the biggest threat to the planet.

That would be global Islamist terrorism right now. Its stated intention is to kill us and destroy our way of life.

If rock singers and TV stars want to do something constructive, why don't they have a series of shows against jihad?

Madonna could kick it off in Iran, but the bare flesh and conical bras would have to go. Graham Norton could host the Kabul concert, though he might be lucky to get out without having a brick wall pushed on top of him.

I'm sure rappers like Puff Doggy would go down a storm with the Wahabis in Saudi Arabia, given their mutual enthusiasm for women's rights, homosexuality and drive-by executions.

Send the Spice Girls to Lahore. They'd look very fetching in designer burkas. The whole event could be beamed round the world by the BBC, being careful not to mention any connection between terrorism and Islam, perish the thought.

Of course, it ain't gonna happen. They'd rather work themselves into a lather about the ozone layer than confront the number one clear and present danger to our lives.

As Professor Higgins might have said: By George, they just don't get it.

i didn't watch anything of live earth. partly because i was super busy but also because i saw no point in the event taking place in association with climate change. i caught some live sounds on the radio from macy gray who said something about "...saving the world, but for now let's dance and party..."

:dozey: a big music fest with an environmental cause headlining by throwing the words "change the world" and "stop climate change" etc, for me atleast it did absolutely nothing to further the awareness of climate change, perhaps it even confused people who don't understand what the topic is about. i simply saw it as a chance for artists and bands to perform to a world-wide audience, of which half the intended crowd wasn't even watching. i did tune in to wimbeldon though.

i didn't watch anything of live earth. partly because i was super busy but also because i saw no point in the event taking place in association with climate change. i caught some live sounds on the radio from macy gray who said something about "...saving the world, but for now let's dance and party..."

:dozey: a big music fest with an environmental cause headlining by throwing the words "change the world" and "stop climate change" etc, for me atleast it did absolutely nothing to further the awareness of climate change, perhaps it even confused people who don't understand what the topic is about. i simply saw it as a chance for artists and bands to perform to a world-wide audience, of which half the intended crowd wasn't even watching. i did tune in to wimbeldon though.

You made the right choice! Did you see the mixed doubles final?

sadly no :\ i caught the females' singles final and the men's single final but that was it. exciting stuff imo but i knew federer would take it in the end - silent achiever he is. everything else was on too late or early here for me to stay up.

sadly no :\ i caught the females' singles final and the men's single final but that was it. exciting stuff imo but i knew federer would take it in the end - silent achiever he is. everything else was on too late or early here for me to stay up.

The mixed final was the best!:D