✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Live Earth Thread

busybeeburns

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a super stupid question

But can anybody tell me the sense of this?I mean how do they want to make the earth better with these concerts?I only know that many many people will need many many airplanes....:thinking:

wha this is so stupid but I wonder

060707gore.jpg

A Bad Week For Al Gore

Man made global warming myth takes another battering as Live Earth propaganda bandwagon is derailed, drug arrest puts former VP's hypocrisy in focus again

The religion of man-made global warming has had its orthodoxy shot to pieces again right before an assorted gaggle of hypocrites and control freaks, led by Al Gore, prepare this weekend to unleash Live Earth, one of the most sophisticated and carefully packaged political propaganda assaults in recent years.

This rejuvenated religion of Pagan earth worship took another blow from hard science just today, after it was revealed that the oldest plant DNA ever discovered showed that "the planet was far warmer hundreds of thousands of years ago than is generally believed," again underscoring the fact that climate change is a routine and natural phenomenon that has occurred throughout earth's history.

"They also indicated that during the last period between ice ages, 116,000-130,000 years ago, when temperatures were on average 5 C (9 F) higher than now, the glaciers on Greenland did not completely melt away," reports Reuters.

In another development, scientists examining the world's deepest ice core samples concluded that records of greenhouse gases varied wildly over the course of 800,000 years, producing temperatures that differed as much as 15 C (27 F) at different periods of time.

These two new scientific papers, allied to the understanding that CO2 emissions lag behind temperature increase by hundreds of years, reinforce the reality that we live on a volatile and constantly changing planet.

The earth's climate has always been shifting and is dependent on ice age cycles and the activity of the sun. Today we see global warming and climate change on every planet and moon within the solar system, largely due to increased sunspot activity. For humans to think that they can contribute to significant climate change models that have domineered the planet for eons before human civilization existed betrays a supreme level of arrogance and self-importance.

A Mori poll released on Monday found that a majority of the UK population were still skeptical about man-made global warming and believed the threats were being exaggerated for political purposes and to make money.

The head researchers for the poll are global warming advocates but the results forced them to admit that "counter-arguments" are beginning to erode the monopoly on truth that climate change adherents make claim to.

"The survey suggested that terrorism, graffiti, crime and dog mess were all of more concern than climate change," reported the BBC.

060707polarbears.jpg

Emotional fearmongering: yes that's right, polar bears can swim!

This meshes with a general trend that we have tracked which clearly suggests the public are becoming wary of the outlandish fearmongering that the global warming crowd have engaged in to sell their belief system, for example the claim that climate change will be so disastrous for mankind that it will make world war look like heaven, as John Edwards stated.

The concern is felt so deep that even two of man-made global warming's closest bedfellows, Professors Paul Hardaker and Chris Collier, warned their own choir earlier this year to stop preaching doomsday scenarios about global warming, recognizing that the hysteria has eroded a lot of credibility the man-made camp had built.

The fallacy of man-made global warming is already running out of steam for three reasons. One - the hysteria will only get louder because man-made advocates have a dearth of facts to base their alarmism on and always have to resort to fearmongering. Two - as we progress further into the 21st century and the much vaunted eco-apocalypse never arrives, the alarmists will begin to look increasingly stupid and untrustworthy. Three - the hardcore science will continue to prove the climate cult wrong as it has done again today.

More bad news for Al Gore

The tabloid flirtation with the arrest of Gore's son for marijuana possession is a sideshow, but it will be interesting to see if the former Vice President's rampant hypocrisy comes to the fore once again.

For it was Gore who dismissed the use of marijuana for medical purposes in May 2000 while he also proposed a $500 million dollar program of mandatory drug testing. In addition, during his presidential run Gore vowed to create a massive bureaucracy to beef up the self-defeating war on drugs, including expanding the number of drug courts and imposing tougher penalties on users.

In his 1999 National Drug Control Strategy, Gore secured funding of $18 billion dollars to use the military to support domestic drug law enforcement efforts, a violation of Posse Comitatus.

One wonders whether Gore will crack the whip when it comes to his own son as he did during his political tenure or whether, as in the case of his energy sapping 20 room mansion with its heated swimming pool that consumes 20 times the average electricity, that it will be one rule for Gore while he lectures us on following another.

The most one-sided propaganda I've ever seen in my life!

"The scientists say...." "What the scientists have been saying is....."

It's sickening that the BBC do not even consider showing the hundreds of scientists that disagree. It's getting stupid now......GIVE YOUR SUPPORT TO OUR CLIMATE CHANGE RELIGION OR DIE!!!

I'm all for being green but this is too much - Just give it a rest!!

Don't all these bands realise that, in the mind of the global warming hardcore religion, they contribute to global warming when they tour? Sure, that's their career but many of these bands (and the labels) make an obscene amount of money doing what they do and if the world is going into dark peril then I think that it is more important for ME to have a hot bath or to have a car than it is for them to fly around the world on a private jet on tour!!!

Same with Motor Racing - is it more important to drive cars around tracks all over the world for money than for me/us to have baths and showers or drive family to get our shopping or to the hospital - you know general living? BUT OH NO, NO, NO we can't have the rich stop their lives!!

You get my point? If we are at a stage where they tell us we need to change our lives or our future children might die then sure Motor Racing becomes less important? or bands/government flying around on private jets?

A lot of people on TV have been lied to and are just wrongly informed but......at the end of the day:

We are being lied to about the causes of climate change and it's out of control.

I recorded the whole thing on DVR and am now working my way through it.

Genesis - good.

Razorlight - good.

Snow Patrol - great as usual.

David Gray - Babylon. Fantastic!

Damien Rice - sounded OK, but his music sends me to sleep as it's so dull.:dozey:

David and Damien doing "Que Sera Sera" - good choice.

Kasabian - too crashy and noisy.

Paolo Nutini - sounded OK, but I just don't get him.

Black Eyed Peas - absolutely dreadful, as usual, and far too much politicising. Why do they even bother?

John Legend - very professional, as always, but only did one song for some reason.

Duran Duran - excellent once again. "Ordinary World" a definite highlight, although they shouldn't have bothered with "Notorious", which is one of their worst songs.

Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bloc Party - kinda washed over me.

Corinne Bailey Rae - teamed up with John Legend for a decent rendition of "Mercy Mercy Me".

Terra Naomi - strange.

Keane - fabulous.

Oh lucky you!!!!!!! I did not watch it because it was on during the night and I had work..plus it was 22 hours,so no chance of recording it! :(

Give us a copy will you mark..:laugh2:

I'm sure somebody will upload it if you ask them nicely.:rolleyes:

I've watched a bit of Live Earth last evening and came to the conclusion that the majority of the performances worldwide were shit!

The Pussycat Dolls and Black Eyed Peas were absolutely horrible! What an unbounded cheek for my ears... The best band yesterday were definitely the Foo Fighters. Madonna is getting on my nerves though... Her new song was rubbish and the rest of her performance too. How can you ruin "La Isla Bonita" with these two guys who seemed to be monkeys or something like that?! I won't understand it... After that I finally switched the channel to the Klitschko boxing fight...

The line-up in Hamburg was the most embarrassing one, although one ticket had cost 57€. No wonder why only 30.000 tickets were sold. They expected 56.000 people in the HSH arena... Eventim.de also changed the way to buy tickets. Yesterday you still had the chance to buy and print your own tickets. They wanted to fill the stadium with people. :dozey:

I've watched a bit of Live Earth last evening and came to the conclusion that the majority of the performances worldwide were shit!

The Pussycat Dolls and Black Eyed Peas were absolutely horrible! What an unbounded cheek for my ears... The best band yesterday were definitely the Foo Fighters. Madonna is getting on my nerves though... Her new song was rubbish and the rest of her performance too. How can you ruin "La Isla Bonita" with these two guys who seemed to be monkeys or something like that?! I won't understand it... After that I finally switched the channel to the Klitschko boxing fight...

The line-up in Hamburg was the most embarrassing one, although one ticket had cost 57€. No wonder why only 30.000 tickets were sold. They expected 56.000 people in the HSH arena... Eventim.de also changed the way to buy tickets. Yesterday you still had the chance to buy and print your own tickets. They wanted to fill the stadium with people. :dozey:

From what I saw, the Hamburg line-up most definitely was sh*t. If Enrique, Shakira and Katie Melua were the best acts, I'd have hated to hear the worst ones!! If I had been there, I would definitely have asked for a refund!!

Madonna's performance was mega over-the-top as usual. I quickly tired of it.

In fact, the evening section of the concert was far inferior to the daytime part.

I hardly enjoyed any of it.:dozey:

The greatest show on Live Earth rocks Wembley but leaves the world cold

Last updated at 14:24pm on 8th July 2007 commentIconSm.gif Comments (16)

The organisers had billed it as a concert for two billion people.

But the global interest in the Live Earth "save-the-planet" concerts appears to have fallen well short of expectations.

The Johannesburg event failed to sell out, only 3,000 people watched in Shanghai and Australians tuned into Wimbledon instead.

Meanwhile, Wembley was only half-full until the mid-afternoon and fans in Hamburg were drenched by torrential rain.

Madonna topped the bill at Wembley, where tickets were £55 and fans had to put up with a series of gaffes and even crude jokes.

Scroll down for more...

madonnG0707_468x622.jpgMadonna topped the bill at the highly anticipated concert

pussycatsPA070707_468x316.jpgThe Pussycat Dolls brought some girlpower to the evening

halliwellPA070707_468x669.jpgGeri Halliwell used some of her time on stage to plug the Spice Girls comeback.

Read more...

The concert did not get off to the most auspicious start as thousands of seats remained empty, with fans still outside caught up in security checks.

Phil Collins kicked things off, and then Razorlight and Snow Patrol took over as the crowd began to build.

Before the first act began, fans were welcomed to the "greatest show on earth".

A "supergroup" consisting of drummer Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters, drummer Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Queen's Roger Taylor provided the first musical act.

Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles then told the crowd: "We're here to save the earth, can you help?"

The event, being screened on BBC1 and BBC2, was being shown to a worldwide audience of two billion people. Genesis then performed their classics, including Invisible Touch and Land of Confusion.

Phil Collins swore while adapting the lyrics to one of his songs, causing Moyles to apologise for his "potty mouth" afterwards.

liveearthcrowd_468x382.jpgThe crowds rock out at the 'greatest show on earth'

kasabien070707EPA_468x651.jpgKasabian's Tom Meighan gets the Wembley crowd going

EDITORIAL070707PA_468x368.jpgRolling Stones singer Anthony Kiedis at the Live Earth concert at Wembley stadium

The audience were then shown a short film about how to cut down carbon footprints, including advice such as switching off lights and putting less water in the kettle.

Eddie Izzard presented the next act, Razorlight, telling the audience: "A lot of us are going to come out and are going to tell you to do things. A lot of stuff we tell you we have to do as well.

"We're probably more guilty than anyone with all this flying around and stuff.

"With two billion people watching, today is the day to start."

Snow Patrol, the Northern Irish and Scottish band fronted by Gary Lightbody, performed the tracks Open Your Eyes, Shut Your Eyes and their ballad Chasing Cars.

Borrell070707PA_468x591.jpgJonny Borrell from Razorlight lights up Wembley

Collins070707G_468x.jpgPhil Collins and Genesis get the Wembley show underway

patrol070707PA_468x631.jpgPut your hands up in the air: Snow Patrol's Gary Lightbody

Crowded House appeared on a video from Live Earth's Sydney concert, playing hit favourite Don't Dream It's Over

The audience is being asked to commit to Live Earth pledges, which include using energy-saving lightbulbs, turning off computers when not at work, buying energy-efficient products and using public transport or sharing a car at least once a week.

Live Earth London host Moyles told Wembley that over 1.5 million commitments had been made since the Sydney concert this morning.

He said: "That's saving the same amount of power as if we turned off London for 198 hours."

foofightG0707_468x554.jpg Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters performs on stage during the Live Earth concert

Adrock070707PA_468x524.jpgThe Beastie Boys shake things up

Blunt070707MOS_468x508%20copy.jpgJames Blunt performed some of his biggest hits

Proceeds from the Live Earth spectaculars benefit climate crisis charity The Alliance for Climate Protection, founded by Al Gore.

Gore writes in the programme brochure for the worldwide event: "It's time for all of us to take action and build a movement for change. It's time to stop our destructive activities and begin the healing process."

David Gray performed ballad Babylon, while Damien Rice played The Blower's Daughter and the pair collaborated on Que Sera Sera.

Hollywood actress Cameron Diaz spoke on video about the amount of plastic water bottles wasted in the US.

Plastic water bottles and cups were being used at Wembley, but the audience were urged to recycle them in bins at the stadium.

Columbian070707AP_468x569.jpgColumbian singer Shakira gets in the mood at Live Earth in Hamburg, Germany

Gallagher070707PA_468x575.jpgLiam Gallagher watches the Wembley performances with son Gene

Kasabian proved particularly popular with the crowd, getting people on their feet, jumping up and down and clapping their hands in the air.

Lead singer Tom Meighan, wearing a Union Jack shirt, shouted: "Come on Wembley, let me see your hands, all of you, in the air. Come on."

He said there was a need for action on global warming adding: "Let's save the polar bears, let's save our children's children, you know?"

duranAFP070707_468x226.jpgDuran Duran frontman Simon Le Bon, the bnad performed many of their hits including Planet Earth

bypAFP070707_468x252.jpgThe Black Eyed Peas get the party started

bloc070707PA_468x646.jpgBloc Party singer, Kele Okereke, wore a T-shirt saying 'Save the World'

British actress Thandie Newton, who starred in the Oscar-winning film Crash, told the crowd: "Someone once said that with power comes responsibility. They did not mean it quite literally but the fact is we have to conserve power and use it responsibly."

If every household in the UK switched their appliances off instead of leaving them on standby then "we could save enough CO2 to fill this stadium nearly 450 times over", she said.

"All this in a flick of a switch."

She continued: "We have to lead by example, not simply look to our leaders."

Actors, directors and writers had watched with jealousy while Mr Gore's film, An Inconvenient Truth, won an Oscar for being "so compelling and so impactful", she said.

Mr Gore then appeared via video link from a surprise gig in Washington.

He said: "Not many years from now, our children and grandchildren will ask one of two questions, looking back at us in 2007.

"Either they will ask 'What were they thinking, didn't they hear the scientists, see the evidence, didn't they care, or were they too busy?'

"Or they will ask the second question, which I prefer. I want them to ask of us: 'How did they get their act together to successfully solve the climate crisis?'

He went on: "We are excited to share this historic day with some fantastic musicians who are deeply committed to using their voices and talents for the climate crisis and how to solve it."

Earlier this year, Republican leaders in the Senate had refused Mr Gore's request to host a concert on the Capitol grounds facing the Washington Monument.

spinaltapREX070707_468x481.jpgSpoof band Spinal Tap reformed to play at he event

jamieleeREX070707_468x425.jpgJamie Lee Curtis plays photographer while husband Christopher Guest of Spinal Tap

Actors Anna Friel and Matthew McConaughey also sent messages, urging people to make small changes.

Scottish star Paolo Nutini performed Sam Cooke classic Wonderful World, and his own songs Last Request, and Jenny Don't Be Hasty.

Two schoolchildren took to the stage before the Black Eyed Peas got the crowds to their feet. One of the youngsters, introduced as Chantelle, told the crowd: "It's not just our responsibility, it's the adults.

"They are role models. Children follow them. If adults don't do anything, children won't.

"Adults have the tools to make the earth a greener planet."

The Black Eyed Peas performed Let's Get It Started, Where is the Love, Don't Phunk with My Heart and Big Girls Don't Cry.

Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie said of environmental warming: "Sometimes walking away from situations and old habits is a hard thing to do. But that's because it's the right thing to do."

The band performed a song written specially on the issue, with the lyrics "the world is dying, if they say it's going to be all right then people are lying".

Scroll down for more

diazG080707_468x343.jpgCameron Diaz takes to the stage at the New York concert

JossstoneEPA0807_468x707.jpgJoss Stone performs in Johannesburg

Geri Halliwell was a surprise presenter, introducing Duran Duran, and using some of her time on stage to plug the Spice Girls comeback.

Ginger Spice said: "How are you? I have missed you. Can you believe I'm getting back together with those girls? What am I thinking, right?

"I have to be honest. I hadn't thought very much about climate change until I became a mother and what with all this freaky weather I can't really ignore it can you? No.

"I really feel that we have a responsibility for our children to make a difference and really take it seriously."

She referred to famous Spice Girls lyrics when she added: "As well as that, it's an absolute honour to be here today. I know this is a bit cheesy but I'll tell you what I really, really, really want is to introduce a legendary band that have been going much longer then the Spice Girls, for over 20 years.

"They have a song called Planet Earth, you may have heard of them. It's Duran Duran."

The band sang Girls on Film, Planet Earth, Ordinary World and Notorious.

Frontman Simon Le Bon waved his hands aloft as he said: "Everybody who did not arrive on a private jet put your hands in the air."

During all the performances, a ticker tape banner ran on a screen behind the acts, telling people how to conserve energy.

One read: "Re-use towels when staying at hotels" while another said: "Before you turn the central heating up, put on a pullover".

Liam Gallagher watched the Wembley performances with his son, Gene.

The Chili Peppers whipped the crowd into a frenzy by playing the hits Dani California, By the Way, Can't Stop and So Much I.

Scream actress Neve Campbell the crowd: "Today we have heard a lot of big, frightening numbers to describe everything from carbon emissions to casualties.

"But in the end it comes down to a small number, two degrees."

She said if temperature rises could be kept below two degrees then "we stand a chance".

Bloc Party singer, Kele Okereke, wore a T-shirt saying "Save the World".

He said one song, So Here We Are, was about remembering to do something important.

"It's very important that after this show finishes that you guys make the call," he said.

First reviews suggested that there were just not enough big acts to make it really rock.

Veteran soft rockers Crowded House headlined in Sydney, while the best-known acts elsewhere included American rap artist Xzibit, UB40 and the newly-reformed Police.

TV coverage was co-ordinated by the BBC in London, which devoted 15 hours of programming on BBC1 and BBC2. But viewers were bombarded with constant plugs for Microsoft's internet network MSN, with TV cameras frequently landing on the sponsor's logo.

Well I enjoyed myself yesterday for all the bands I wanted to see. but apart from that nothing was earth-shattering news to me.... they kept repeating everything.... rockstars and celebrities telling us what to do..and also reading off of autocues....:rolleyes:

I think London definitely had the best lineup out of all of them

so I was pleased about that. Wembley looked pretty full to me.

My favourite was Foo Fighters. They were incredible.

Also on my top list.... Kasabian, RHCP and Damien Rice/David Gray, Madonna was good, she put on a good overall show (singing/dancing/entertaining)

SHITLIST: Black eyed peas (thought it was all about them...knobs)

Pussycatdolls....(slutty dancers)......James Blunt.....Paolo Nutini (couldnt understand his lyrics)

It was still a good day.... although I only went for the bands. lol.

I consider myself to be fairly enviromentally conscious anyway. I re-use my bags.... dont have a car and use public transport...etc. I did want to know what all the money from the tickets went towards though......:dozey:

Well I enjoyed myself yesterday for all the bands I wanted to see. but apart from that nothing was earth-shattering news to me.... they kept repeating everything.... rockstars and celebrities telling us what to do..and also reading off of autocues....:rolleyes:

I think London definitely had the best lineup out of all of them

so I was pleased about that. Wembley looked pretty full to me.

My favourite was Foo Fighters. They were incredible.

Also on my top list.... Kasabian, RHCP and Damien Rice/David Gray, Madonna was good, she put on a good overall show (singing/dancing/entertaining)

SHITLIST: Black eyed peas (thought it was all about them...knobs)

Pussycatdolls....(slutty dancers)......James Blunt.....Paolo Nutini (couldnt understand his lyrics)

It was still a good day.... although I only went for the bands. lol.

I consider myself to be fairly enviromentally conscious anyway. I re-use my bags.... dont have a car and use public transport...etc. I did want to know what all the money from the tickets went towards though......:dozey:

Madonna's entourage?:rolleyes:

dave grohl knows how to put on a show. i thought the foo fighters were awesome

However, they're too loud and crashy, and their songs suck. I couldn't bear to listen to them.

Same goes for Metallica and Spinal Tap.

RHCP don't do anything for me either, while Kasabian are too "shouty".

Paolo Nutini I just don't get at all.:dozey:

One plus point, though - no sign of junkie Pete!!