✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Live Earth Thread

busybeeburns

i just think people should wait - see what they play - see what they say - before throwing out bold statements like that. they could just be doing it because they believe in the cause, even if it doesn't help it. i walk 2 miles everyday to lose weight and does it help any? nope! :lol: but the effort is there.

coldplay is an established band and hardly needs to 'promote' so far before their album drops in a little global warming gig no one is going to remember next year.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live Earth???

U2, Oasis, Coldplay to play 'Live Earth'?

Monday, February 12 2007, 16:37 GMT

160x120_coldplay01.jpg

By David Cribb

The list of artists that will play this summer's 'Live Earth' concert will be announced next week, with U2 and Kylie Minogue expected to top the list.

Other acts taking part in what will be the biggest charity gig ever held are thought to include Oasis, Robbie Williams and Coldplay.

Last Friday, American vice president Al Gore met with a host of media personnel in London, to begin planning the event. "It was the most stellar array of media figures you could ever see but to get all those people in the room on a Friday night shows how willing they are to help," said an inside source.

The live shows will take place across the world - in England, the USA, Japan, South Africa and Brazil - and will occur on July 7 of this year.

Gore himself was keen to rally the cause at the meeting, telling those present: "Television hypnotises billions but it is a one-way conversation filling minds with junk food. The only way to breathe meaning back into our words is through music. We need you."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a42679/u2-oasis-coldplay-to-play-live-earth.html

coldplay is an established band and hardly needs to 'promote' so far before their album drops in a little global warming gig no one is going to remember next year.

that's a bold quote. who says they decide on what to play? they couldn't even pick the singles from X&Y 'cus EMI did that for them and you're telling me they decided this on their own? oh..

and this is not a small gig, did you see the headliners?

it would be nice if they gave all the money just from the organisation to the Campains that are already trying to prevent the global warming or just decrease it.

i'm sorry..but i dont' see any cause for this. it's nice to raise voice, but to make a massive fstival in a way..i don't think so.. that's just my opinion and i don't find it very nice you calling it obnoxious one. ;)

well they are established. they have sold millions of albums now and was x&y not the biggest selling record in 2005? but i'm sure you might know that.

have coldplay or emi personally came out and said the label chooses the singles? because really, i'd like to know where people get these infos from. it sucks that you don't see the cause for the event, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to drag down the band. no one promotes an album so far in advanced. and i'd bet my left arm it won't be a new song played. coldplay has never, ever debuted new songs out in the open like that (not even in the TL tour) and what makes anyone think they are going to start now. notice how they will play new material in latin america, where the venues chosen are teeny in comparison. they aren't trying to promote anything.

(i'm not trying to argue with you btw, i said your comment was obnoxious because that's what it sounded like.. because you don't know what they are playing and are being sarcastic acting like you do. but i apologize, either way.)

well they are established. they have sold millions of albums now and was x&y not the biggest selling record in 2005? but i'm sure you might know that.

britney has sold millions too,does that mean she has a reputation of being an established singer? it seems we have different views on what establishes a band. in my opinion it's the music and the way they make it. they didn't do it with x&y.

have coldplay or emi personally came out and said the label chooses the singles? because really, i'd like to know where people get these infos from.

well..chris himself said the hardest part is the least liked song from they're point of view and yet they released it as a single. a bit weird, don't you think? please search a bit on all the competitions EMI did in coldplay's behalf and you'll see how many disapointed fans were involved.

no one promotes an album so far in advanced. and i'd bet my left arm it won't be a new song played. coldplay has never, ever debuted new songs out in the open like that

did you see LiveAid? fix you was played. no further comment. ;)

and.... coldplay did play new songs on their previous tours, not on TL one but on parachutes one they did. chris also promoted new song (bucket for a crown) on the recent humanitarian campaign. and that what i like, cus that's the coldplay without all the *huge pop-rock band* labels. it showed how much they cared for fans opinions.

i'm not trying to argue with you btw, i said your comment was obnoxious because that's what it sounded like.. because you don't know what they are playing and are being sarcastic acting like you do. but i apologize, either way.)

oh..i'm not trying to argue with you, we're just sharing opinions (after all, that's what this forum is for :) ) and i don't like when someone from the very start tries to clasify my comments and me without knowing my stand on this. in no way i was trying to dispute this gig. i just don't think it will work.

as for coldplay.. trust me.. i'm a fan and i WAS even bigger one before they started turning into money machines which was led by EMI. i just want to say that everything's not black and white and there's always but... even for a good cause. they disapointed me greatly in the last year and i know that i'm not alone when saying this, and i started to be a bit more objective when it comes to them.

no hard feelings. :kiss:

I think it's great 'cause more and more people will be aware of these things. Some people just don't care about what's going on or what's going to happen. So it'd be a good idea if their favourite musicians talked about it. I reckon it's the most important part of this, raising awarness and encouraging people to actually do something.

And it'd be even better if Coldplay were included in the setlist and a concert was held in Brasil ;)

"established" means you can stand on your own. britney does suck but she still has a fan base and can stand on her own. it's nothing to do with quality of music.

imo coldplay released the worst song off the album because they wanted to stick it to emi for being money hungry. it's also why they made it radio-single only, so it won't make the charts. also why the bsides being released now are in vinyl, imo. and i don't see how competitions would dissapoint any fans at all? and i don't see how this means coldplay has no control on their singles. if anything, it shows they do.

live aid happened after x&y was released so my statements stands, no one promotes this early in advanced. they played fix you (and in my place and bittersweet symphony) and i don't see what's wrong with playing things from an upcoming album especially once it's released?? its pretty bad how you seem to only reach for the negative.... i understand you're dissapointed with the band, but wow. they are not that bad.

i hope you feel better about them soon. and no hard feelings as well :)

oh..i'm just disapointed, but in a way being really objective, not pesimstic (if i was i wouldn't even come here).

as for those new songs and playing them before the release..chris did it , not many months ago, as i already said it, on a humanitarian gig, so my point stands. just as one about establishing, that's my opinion. yours is different and it's ok. i don't think britney's established. quality is what establishes, coldplay had it all and let it go with x&y badly,IMO.

imo coldplay released the worst song off the album because they wanted to stick it to emi for being money hungry

and you think that's ok?

and i don't see how competitions would dissapoint any fans at all?

there were threads and threads about it, i even found out one story about it and posted it.

anyway. my let go or not point for cp is happening with the 4th album. they will either prove and improve or totally make me lose all the respect. i've been too long into them (from the very start) and seeing what they turned into on X&Y tour really ruined it for me, but as i said i'm giving them chance (:lol:)..

hell..Brian Eno isn't that bad ;)

it's ok if you have your own definition to the meaning of an 'established artist'...but usually it's reffered to a popular artist that will sell well no matter what - good material/bad material. coldplay is established. and so is britney spears (though i don't know about now with her latest dumb antics! :laugh4:)

chris played one new song in a small acoustic gig. they also played new material in their own tours in the parachutes days (and about 3 times during arobtth) when their venues weren't as large as now. you don't see the pattern? they have only debuted new music in their shows and when the venue is smaller than it is big. they are not going to debut anything in a festival. they have never done that.

i don't really mind if coldplay released the worst song on x&y to stick it to emi. imo emi tries to use their popular bands when they are in a slump for cash, and more power to coldplay or any band that tries to fight agaisnt that.

i didn't know alot about eno before, but i've heard tons of his stuff now and i love it. i can't wait :)

Eno is the gratest, i was just joking. he's the master brain behind Roxy Music,after all.

chris played one new song in a small acoustic gig. they also played new material in their own tours in the parachutes days (and about 3 times during arobtth) when their venues weren't as large as now. you don't see the pattern? they have only debuted new music in their shows and when the venue is smaller than it is big. they are not going to debut anything in a festival. they have never done that

but they were coldplay in 1999,2003 and 2005. some things are just suspossed to stay the same. i know it would be really nice if they'd finally acknowledged the fans and play new songs to see what's the reaction, it brings some intimacy, the intimacy they used to have and why lots of ppl started liking them any way.

don't really mind if coldplay released the worst song on x&y to stick it to emi. imo emi tries to use their popular bands when they are in a slump for cash, and more power to coldplay or any band that tries to fight agaisnt that.

but that's not ok :/

why being an artist then when youre ruled by other ppl's wishes whose main concern is money making.

what do you mean.. coldplay are the same now as they were in 1999. the latin america tour will debut new songs and therefore they will acknowledge fans, as you say. they didn't do that in the TL tour because venues are too large and they have gotten too big and people only go for yellow and the singles. have you been to one of their TL shows? i went to 3 in total and in every venue ppl sat down during 'how we see the world' and not many payed attention during the acoustic part of it. they are popular now and these ''fans'' have certain demands. it's not all the band's fault. i feel badly for chris, he takes the worst criticism for some reason.

i imagine it must be tough to find a balance. but they fair well imo. =) and uh.. we've gotten very off topic!!:laugh3:

have you been to one of their TL shows? i went to 3 in total and in every venue ppl sat down during 'how we see the world' and not many payed attention during the acoustic part of it

no ..i haven't been to their single gig cus EMI has a politic of not playing where album sales aren't measured in millions. nowhere near they had a gig actually.

CP has no vote on that too. i rememeber Will telling (on the very start of TL tour) how they want to go to Russia,Estonia,Latvia etc. and that didnt happen.

as for HYSTW.. that's exactly what i'm talking about.. the *rock-easy-hits* label they have on themselves...you see..most of the audience isn't that much into Parachutes,a bit more into AROBTTH but adore X&Y and hearing HYSTW (which i think is a very very old coldplay and beautiful) isn't interesting..but that another subject ..as you already said :)

what do you mean.. coldplay are the same now as they were in 1999. the latin america tour will debut new songs and therefore they will acknowledge fans, as you say. they didn't do that in the TL tour because venues are too large and they have gotten too big and people only go for yellow and the singles

i agree totally. just not with the bolded part. they didn't act that in way in 2005-2006. i have hopes for them with the fact they'll be playing old school coldplay there with some new. that's the wa they did it and i adore it. i hope new songs will be good, everything is better than x&yactually. :D

just as long that summer humanit.gig will not be a campaign one.

i feel badly for chris, he takes the worst criticism for some reason.

i imagine it must be tough to find a balance. but they fair well imo. =) and uh.. we've gotten very off topic!!:laugh4:

chris takes it cus he's taken spokesman place in CP and all the negativity we have towards coldplay is towars him .kinda. huge part of it any way.

yeah..we've gotten a bit out of hand, but i really enjoy this debate.. it's what the forum is for :)

but most bands don't have a say on where they tour. like you said it depends on their label and how much they sold where. they can't go to latvia or estonia if emi feels they have to spend more resources than they are gaining back in cd sales.

it's mind boggling to me that there's people that dump all their disappointment on chris. i bet you credit their accomplishments to the entire band though, yeah? coldplay are four members, count 'em, 1 2 3 4. four. chris is the frontman and just like vocals, it's his job to be the face of the band. if chris does something, is because the band as a whole agrees. they all get paid equally. they should all be praised or hated equally.

but most bands don't have a say on where they tour. like you said it depends on their label and how much they sold where. they can't go to latvia or estonia if emi feels they have to spend more resources than they are gaining back in cd sales.

it's mind boggling to me that there's people that dump all their disappointment on chris. i bet you credit their accomplishments to the entire band though, yeah? coldplay are four members, count 'em, 1 2 3 4. four. chris is the frontman and just like vocals, it's his job to be the face of the band. if chris does something, is because the band as a whole agrees. they all get paid equally. they should all be praised or hated equally.

oh..i understand for the touring, i was just naming that as a example on how little they can vote for anything regarding tours (Chille ticket prices is the latest example).

and as for Chris, i was also putting that as way people percive CP, not me.. i find them all guilty, but Chris himself put himself as a spokesman, so he gets the crap cus he speaks the most. that's just the way it goes. they're all guilty on issues that disturbed the fans :)

Gore Announces Details On Series Of Global Warming Awareness Concerts

al-gore-concerts.jpg

Los Angeles (eCanadaNow) - US former vice president Al Gore on Thursday announced details of a huge series of concerts to take place around the world to raise awareness about the danger of global warming.

Gore, 58, whose documentary film about the subject, An Inconvenient Truth, made him a surprise movie star, said that the July 7 concerts would take place in London, Shanghai, Sydney, Johannesburg and locations to be determined in the US, Brazil and Japan. Details of a show in Antarctica will be announced next month, Gore spokeswoman Kalee Kreider said.

Among the artists slated to appear are the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, John Legend, Snoop Dogg, Coldplay, Black Eyed Peas, Lenny Kravitz, Bon Jovi, Enrique Iglesias, Sheryl Crow, AFI, Keane, Kelly Clarkson, John Mayer, Faith Hill with Tim McGraw and Corrine Bailey Rae.

Gore is organizing the event with Kevin Wall, the producer behind the 2005 Live 8 concerts, which raised money for Africa. Gore and Wall said they expect Live Earth to be the most viewed event ever, reaching more than 2 billion people through television, radio, the Internet and film.

“We have to get the message of urgency and hope out,” said Gore, flanked by actress Cameron Diaz and rapper Pharrell Williams.

The proceeds will create a foundation to combat climate change, led by The Alliance for Climate Protection, currently chaired by Gore.

“In order to solve the climate crisis, we have to reach billions of people,” he said. “The climate crisis will only be stopped by an unprecedented and sustained global movement.”

http://www.ecanadanow.com/environment/2007/02/15/gore-announces-details-on-serious-of-global-warming-awareness-concerts/

No Coldplay?

_42220086_chilli_203b.jpg_42395809_snowpatrol203b_ap.jpg

World climate change gigs planned

More than 100 of the world's top musicians will perform at a series of worldwide concerts this summer to highlight the threat of global warming. The Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Black Eyed Peas will be among those taking part in the Live Earth gigs on 7 July.

The eight Live 8-style gigs were announced by former US Vice President Al Gore, whose global warming film An Inconvenient Truth is up for two Oscars

Johannesburg, London, Shanghai and Sydney are among the host cities.

Three other concerts will take place in the US, Brazil and Japan, with the cities still to be decided. There will also be a concert in Antarctica.

Mr Gore made the announcement at a press conference in Los Angeles on Thursday, joined by actress Cameron Diaz and rapper Pharrell Williams, who will perform at one of the shows.

"We have to get the message of urgency and hope out," Mr Gore said.

"The climate crisis will only be stopped by an unprecedented and sustained global movement."

Other artists confirmed for the Live Earth concerts include Bon Jovi, Kelly Clarkson, Sheryl Crow, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Snoop Dogg, Lenny Kravitz and the Foo Fighters.

British performers will include Keane, Snow Patrol, Duran Duran, Bloc Party and Paolo Nutini.

Pharrell Williams said it would be "the biggest party on earth".

Brit Award winners Muse also hope to take part - but will have to consider changing their schedule as they already have a gig lined up in Ireland on that date.

Organisers of the concerts, who are leading a climate change campaign called Save Our Selves (SOS), hope the concerts will reach a global audience of two billion people on TV, radio and the internet.

Proceeds will go towards the creation of a foundation to combat climate change led by the Alliance for Climate Protection, which is chaired by Mr Gore.

Carbon neutral

The concerts' producer Kevin Wall won an Emmy Award for producing the Live 8 concerts in 2005, which were orgainsed by Bob Geldof to put pressure on world leaders to eradicate the debts of the world's poorest countries.

Mr Wall said each concert would last from four to eight hours. Alongside the big names, the line-ups will also include local talent to appeal to regional audiences.

At the press conference, organisers said Live Earth "will become the model for carbon neutral concerts and other live events in the future".

A meeting of global political leaders in Washington this week has reached a new agreement on tackling climate change.

Delegates agreed that developing countries as well as rich countries will have to face targets for cutting greenhouse gas emissions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6367515.stm

I'm kinda sick of all these massive charity concerts, Live 8 didn't particularly grab me and I'm even less fussed about this one.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that they're raising funds/awareness etc (if indeed they are, i'm still not really convinced) but as a viewing experience they always turn out to be a bit rubbish, even if Coldplay are playing they'll only do 3 songs and then go off to be replaced by Daniel Bedingfield or James Blunt or some rubbish, it's a nice spectacle but to watch they're always dreadful.