✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Live Earth Thread

busybeeburns

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes wonder if it's even worth it, after all Mother Nature is in charge and if she says the world is warming up, the world is warming up.

Besides, isn't this just another opportunity to see one's favourite bands in action (again)?

Not really, if Live Aid/Live 8 is anything to go by, I bet those bands will only play on average 3/4 songs. So to get to listen to say 5 of your favourite bands play 4 songs you have to stand though another 5 crap bands/singers.

• 1 month later...

Gore in hunt for Live Earth venue

_42456567_algoremoreap.jpg_42220086_chilli_203b.jpg

Environmental campaigner Al Gore is struggling to find a venue for his US climate change rock concert Live Earth.

The former US vice-president wanted to hold the concert, one of eight global events, at Washington DC's Capitol Hill, home of the US Congress.

But Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell has objected because the proposal to use Capitol grounds has not been reviewed by the Senate.

Another US city is now being discussed. The concerts will take place on 7 July.

"While it's unfortunate for the American people that we are being blocked from staging the US concert in our nation's capital, the show must go on, even if it's in another city," said Chad Griffin, a senior adviser for Live Earth.

The original plan was to hold the gig at the National Mall in the US capital, but it was already in use.

The resolution to hold the concert on the Capitol's West Lawn was proposed by Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid and Republican Senator Olympia Snowe.

However, individual senators are able to block legislation.

Republican Senator James Inhofe has also opposed the move, although he has not formally blocked it.

"Senator Inhofe objects to having any events on the Capitol grounds that are either highly partisan or politically controversial - and the proposed Gore concert is both," said his spokesman Marc Morano.

Senator Inhofe has referred to global warming as "a hoax" in the past.

Washington DC Mayor Adrian Fenty still hopes the concert will take place in the city.

"We hope that things are resolved so that Mr Gore can have his event and promote his environmental initiative," said his spokeswoman, Mafara Hobson.

'Global threat'

Gore is the author of An Inconvenient Truth, about the threat of global warming and potential solutions of the problem.

It was adapted for the screen and won two Oscars, for best documentary and best original song.

More than 100 of the world's top musicians will perform at the Live Earth concerts, which aim to highlight the threat of global warming.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kanye West, the Black Eyed Peas, Bon Jovi, and Snow Patrol are among the acts set to perform around the globe, in cities including London, Shanghai and Johannesburg.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6506451.stm

• 2 weeks later...

Live Earth gig registration opens

Ticket registration for the UK Live Earth concert has officially opened.

The show at London's Wembley Stadium on 7 July will be one of seven worldwide concerts to highlight climate change.

All fans who want tickets must register online before 1200 BST on Monday. The £55 tickets - limited to two per person - will then be allocated by ballot.

Madonna and the Red Hot Chili Peppers will be among the stars performing. A spokesman said they had "no firm idea" about how much demand there would be.

"With this sort of line-up and the nature of the event we expect a lot of demand, but it's difficult to be sure," he said.

Unlike the Glastonbury Festival's registration system, concertgoers will not be asked for a photograph but must provide a contact phone number.

Global concerts

Other acts confirmed for the UK show include Snow Patrol, Razorlight, Corinne Bailey Rae, the Foo Fighters and James Blunt.

Around the globe, other Live Earth concerts will take place in New Jersey, Sydney, Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg and Shanghai.

The Police, Kanye West and Bon Jovi will headline the US leg. More acts for all venues are still to be announced.

The concerts have been organised by former US vice-president Al Gore as a way of highlighting climate change.

All seven concerts are due to take place over a single 24-hour period, with profits going to organisations including the Alliance for Climate Protection, the Climate Group and Stop Climate Chaos.

The BBC has confirmed that it will broadcast the concerts on TV and radio in the UK.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/6551675.stm

Even if they are trying to make it work for a pile of shit, I have signed up for the lottery to get tickets.

Muse question Live Earth's green credentials

'What about the rock star jets?' asks Matt Bellamy

Muse have questioned the green credential of climate awareness gigs Live Earth.

As previously reported Live Earth will take place on July 7 in cities across the world, featuring around 100 artists playing over the 24-hour event.

However, Muse frontman Matt Bellamy has suggested that it might be hypocritical to support something that could have an adverse affect on the climate.

"Private jets for climate change, not sure about it, that seems to be a bit on edge really - that's an issue really, so we need to think about it," he told BBC Six Music.

However Ashok Sinah, a director of Stop Climate Chaos, insist this was something the concert should look at to ensure the campaign had a lasting effect after the event.

"The ball to a certain extent is in our court," he said. "We have got to make sure that the people that come to us post-concert are actively engaged and get involved in the campaign."

http://www.nme.com/news/muse/27674

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Live Earth

I dont understand this, why hasnt Coldplay announced a commitment to Live Earth. They are environmentalists themselves, for gosh sakes: they make all of their concerts carbon-neutral...Can anyone offer some insight here?

ug, I didnt post this to start a meaningless debate about global-warming. There isnt a debate among scientists...

I just wanted to know why they arent playing...

From what I heard, Bob Geldof and U2 aren't involved either.

A couple of months ago when plans were announced that the concerts would raise money, rather than just awareness, the more political bands got cold feet about the whole thing. There were no plans for this money. It was just all going to be placed in a fund which Al Gore would administer, and which would be used at his discretion, as soon as the world figured out how any amount of money could be used to change the world's natural weather cycle.

By the way, thirty years ago, in the mid-Seventies, these exact same quasi-scientists who are now telling us that the world is going to end from global warming, were telling us that the world was going to end from global cooling. We were all warned of a terrible ice age if the weather didn't warm up a couple of degrees.

Well, guess what, the weather warmed up a couple of degrees.

This cycle of cooling and warming also happened six hundred years ago, long before the industrial age, long before SUV's and air conditioning.

Weather is cyclic. Not just season to season, but decade to decade, and century to century.

So, personally, I hope Coldplay aren't a part of Live Earth.

Couldn't we have another worldwide festival aimed at making a real difference in the world. Something to feed starving children? Something to send medical aid to the third world? Something to end the war for oil? Something that will actually make a difference?

Well spoken, friend.

The only difference between now and six hundred years ago is that the pollution resulting from the industrial age could do alot of harm coupled with global warming. That's a serious issue. But as you said, just the heating and cooling of the planet has been going on for millenia.

Anyway, I guess Coldplay don't trust Mr. Gore any more than I do. I'm glad he's raising awareness, but I don't want to give him my money,lol. It's still going to be a great event musically.

A couple of months ago when plans were announced that the concerts would raise money, rather than just awareness, the more political bands got cold feet about the whole thing. There were no plans for this money. It was just all going to be placed in a fund which Al Gore would administer, and which would be used at his discretion, as soon as the world figured out how any amount of money could be used to change the world's natural weather cycle.

By the way, thirty years ago, in the mid-Seventies, these exact same quasi-scientists who are now telling us that the world is going to end from global warming, were telling us that the world was going to end from global cooling. We were all warned of a terrible ice age if the weather didn't warm up a couple of degrees.

This cycle of cooling and warming also happened six hundred years ago, long before the industrial age, long before SUV's and air conditioning.

Weather is cyclic. Not just season to season, but decade to decade, and century to century.

Couldn't we have another worldwide festival aimed at making a real difference in the world. Something to feed starving children? Something to send medical aid to the third world? Something to end the war for oil? Something that will actually make a difference?

but there hasnt been so many changes in the weather as there are now, and that´s evidence of a real change that´s caused by the CO2 of the air, which levels is worse than ever...

i do have my doubts about this gig, because i dont understand what the money is for either (though i´m sceptical about it going into al gore´s pocket, why making such a big effort only for that?...and if it is a presidential campaign as some say, i think he would choose some other subject, as this one isn´t that popular these days), but i dont understand people who are so cynical about it. You´re saying that it´s better to do something about starving children and wars, but all these changes are causing more effects into the economy and the people of poor countries than developed countries, so we´re talking about the same thing.

And it´s not only that, the biodiversity of this planet is being threatened.

What if, later on, we discover that the consequences were real...maybe it is a bit too late. It wouldnt hurt changing our habits and making this a cleaner planet.

This preocupies me because (not talking about us, just in general) there seems to be some kind of "war" between people who care about the environment and the ones who care about human problems, and i hate it...

I totally get what you're saying, and you're right it shouldn't be either environmental or human causes being addressed.

I just have some problems with the way the global warming thing is being handled by the press and politicians. And maybe it's just the way it's being handled in Australia, I don't know.

First of all, whenever global warming is mentioned here, every natural disaster of the last ten years is laid at it's feet. And some of these connections make no sense whatsoever.

Like the tsumani's.

Tsunami's are caused by underground earthquakes, which has nothing at all to do with the earth's weather, or pollution, or anything that is an effect of anything mankind has done to the planet. Yet whenever they talk about global warming on the news in Australia, they show footage of the recent tsumani's. It makes me want to scream at somebody.

I'm all for the environment and cutting back pollution and making cleaner burning fuels and minimising mankind's footprint on the earth. It just makes me cynnical when the words 'global warming' become a catchcry for politicians who proclaim that for just a few hundred billion dollars in extra taxation, they can lower the earth's temperature by less than 1% by the year 2050 (the Kyoto Accord).

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of lowering the global temperature by less than one percent doesn't seem like it's going to make that much of a difference. However, those few hundred billion dollars over the next forty years would make a world of difference to the poor, the hungry, and the war-torn.

Anyway, just a thought.

I totally get what you're saying, and you're right it shouldn't be either environmental or human causes being addressed.

I just have some problems with the way the global warming thing is being handled by the press and politicians. And maybe it's just the way it's being handled in Australia, I don't know.

First of all, whenever global warming is mentioned here, every natural disaster of the last ten years is laid at it's feet. And some of these connections make no sense whatsoever.

Like the tsumani's.

Tsunami's are caused by underground earthquakes, which has nothing at all to do with the earth's weather, or pollution, or anything that is an effect of anything mankind has done to the planet. Yet whenever they talk about global warming on the news in Australia, they show footage of the recent tsumani's. It makes me want to scream at somebody.

I'm all for the environment and cutting back pollution and making cleaner burning fuels and minimising mankind's footprint on the earth. It just makes me cynnical when the words 'global warming' become a catchcry for politicians who proclaim that for just a few hundred billion dollars in extra taxation, they can lower the earth's temperature by less than 1% by the year 2050 (the Kyoto Accord).

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of lowering the global temperature by less than one percent doesn't seem like it's going to make that much of a difference. However, those few hundred billion dollars over the next forty years would make a world of difference to the poor, the hungry, and the war-torn.

Anyway, just a thought.

yes, i also agree with you, sometimes they put everything inside the same bag. But from what I´ve seen Al Gore´s never related Tsunamis to this.

Anyway, about something else you said, that in the 70´s scientists were saying the temperatures were going to decrease, it´s parcially real, because if the ice from the north pole start melting, there will be less salt on the sea, so the running from the sea there will stop working properly.

yes, i also agree with you, sometimes they put everything inside the same bag. But from what I´ve seen Al Gore´s never related Tsunamis to this.

Anyway, about something else you said, that in the 70´s scientists were saying the temperatures were going to decrease, it´s parcially real, because if the ice from the north pole start melting, there will be less salt on the sea, so the running from the sea there will stop working properly.

The tsunami thing might just be the Australian press. Everytime global warming is mentioned on the news, on current affairs shows, or in advertising, they follow footage of the ice caps melting, with footage of the tsunami's, as if there's some direct link between the two events.

And so far as the ocean not working properly, unfortunately, if the polar ice caps melt, you're right, the ocean will stop flowing. And although I don't know for sure what that will mean to the planet without a working ocean, let's face it, it can't be a good thing.

But right now the world's scientists are just beginning to monitor the ice to see how bad the melting is. The ice has been melting and refreezing forever, and we're only really worrying about it now.

Right now the panic over global warming seems to be coming from the press and politicians and celebrity spokespeople, rather than real scientists. In fact, a lot of real scientists haven't yet made up their minds that there is something to worry about. And even more real scientists doubt that anything we do can change the climate change we're experiencing right now.

I know there are problems with the way mankind handles the planet and its resources. I know that pollution is at a ridiculous level. But I also know that spending billions of dollars over forty years to attempt to lower the earth's temperature by less than one percent isn't going to help.

You're thinking in the present, in today...

but..what about the tomorrow..??

and like my friend Sofy said there has been drastic changes in the weather in this lasts 50 years..

I think if people doesn't realized about what is happennign with our planet NOW....they'll never figured out..

and about the last paragraph you had written...

Yes..hungry childrend are a real problem all around the world today...But think this for a second...

If we save this children (that would be AWSOME!)....where are they going to live (them and all the generations that are coming) if this planet is dissappiearing???

I think that the enviroment cause is a big problem as the hungry and diseases in Africa and all around the world.

Do you know that the next World War will be for sweet water?

like the water we have in the antartida, and in importants rivers here in Argentina for example in the "Acuifero Guarani" ?

I don't like the way most politics/some people form that kind are handling the global warmth issue. seriously, the other day I heard in some tv show that was about enviroment that people couldn't eat red meat because the meat comes from South America so it needs to be transported in planes and planes are not good for the global warmth.

When put in these terms people will start to get a bit pissed... I mean, all those big industries polute the world like anything else and just don't care but people can't eat meat?

now they want money... but money for what exatly?? to pay their tickets for them to fly around the world?

The question about Live Earth I have is:

How much power is required to host such an event, and for mass amounts of people to view/listen to it?

Quite a lot of power. For an event to do something with global warning (no main aim), it will have a large carbon footprint.