✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Top 5 LEAST fav Coldplay songs (B-sides included)

SoTaF

Nobody here wants to admit it, but we all have them. Those CP songs you try to listen to each time they come on, but just leave a bad taste in your mouth. You cannot wait to forward it to the next song. Here is your chance to finally get it out of your system.

5. YELLOW - I know this is 'everyone's fav', but frankly I can't stand this song. I think it is entirely overrated, overplayed, and really annoying.

4. GREEN EYES - never really got this song

3. EASY TO PLEASE - this song is so slow and boring, it puts me to sleep before the second verse

2. GRAVITY - think 'easy to please', except in the first verse :sleeping:

1. THE HARDEST PART - wtf, this song made me cring from the first listen. I know this is a tribute to REM, but it's really worse than any REM song, except "shiny happy people" of course. what is worse, is that this song was chosen for x&y and "how you see the world" was left off. where is the justice??

I feel so much better now that that's off my chest :D

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons I love coldplay so much is it feels as if almost everyone of their songs could be a single...unlike some bands which have one or two awesome songles while the rest are weak and generic. I thought I'd plead for the case of "easy to please" for a moment before giving my list. The thing about "easy to please" is, yes, the lyrics stay the same, it's very slow and even indulgent...but I think it's an acquired appreciation as the more I listen to it, the denser I realize the song is. It wasn't until I payed full attention to my mp3 player that I realized the news channel(or whatever it is) that comes on at the end. That, and the reoccurring conversation from the beginning (that you can never quite make out the words to) I find very creative and original. They basically took a stripped down simple, boring acoustic song and pimped it out with all of these crazy yet subtle effects that make it an object of study even. Of course, you already know that and still dislike it. fair enough. I also find it difficult to listen to more than once in awhile.

My list:

5. Murder (For the only b-side on GPASUYF they could've done better, nice(short) solo and all but it doesn't have a lot of appeal generally.)

4.A Whisper (Same reason they never played it live, it's just weak sauce. It served it's purpose which was a sudden, powerful transition from the softness of green eyes and warning sign. the chorus ain't bad, but the bass line gives you a headache after a while.)

3.Ode to deodorant. (Basically an excuse to try to think up one less song. It's bad, coldplay know's that, after all it was somewhat of a joke.)

2. 1.36 ( An effort at a new flavor that just came out dry. The ash guitarist is interesting but doesn't change anything.)

1.Proof (To me, it's a bad fix you with out the crescendo. The falsetto is abused, and the lyrics are terrible. The guitar at the end helps...but not enough.

honourable mentions: Fix you (My brother hates this song and with all respect I can see why, lyrics could be better and Chris's voice can get annoying it's risky and very poppy. I think the guitar at the end brings it back to even...he disagrees.

yellow: I like this song, but I understand how many say it's over-rated. It's a nice optimistic peak to the album but I wouldn't've picked it as a one hit wonder had I not heard it before hearing the album.

in my place: The oddball of it's album. Poppy, repetitive doesn't really fit in with the rest...coldplay praises it highly for how it "kept them going through all the weird stuff..." but it is what it is.

1. Your love means everything

2. easy to please

3. where is my boy?

4. solid ground

5. no more keeping my feet on the ground

honorable mention- brothers and sisters, such a rush, we never change, a whisper

everything else has five stars in itunes:P

It's hard to choose five, but here's the songs I listen to less frequently than the others:

1.36 - I think it's a bit noisy and annoying.

For You - ZZZZzzzz (repetitive)

I don't have anything concrete against the next three, but I think they are weaker than the rest of Coldplay's songs:

I Bloom Blaum

Easy To Please

Parachutes

• 4 weeks later...

:confused: My four least favorite songs are:

Proof. The vocals on this song are annoying - Chris' falsetto can really get on my nerves when he overdoes it.

One I Love. It just never appealed to me. Standard forgettable radio-pop fare.

Careful Where You Stand. It's like that 'Linger' song by The Cranberries. I think of flatulence every time I hear it.

Speed Of Sound. Like 'One I Love'. This song is generic, and has nothing to retain my interest.

Keep in mind that the only Coldplay EP tracks or B-sides I've heard are "Crests Of Waves" and "Animals".

In no particular order:

Swallowed In The Sea - I can appreciate the tranquility of this song, but the lyrics strike me as slightly cheesy.

The Scientist - It bothers me how simple and repetitive this song is; perhaps if it were not some people's proclaimed "greatest song of all time" I wouldn't mind so much.

A Whisper - This song just feels like the definition of filler to me; the memorable parts are memorable only because they are repeated often.

Don't Panic - As a musician, I am more than a little miffed by the fact that the band essentially repeats the exact same thing three times in a row with a barely-different coda. The chorus is also just so straightfoward that it does not resonate with me.

Amsterdam - This one makes me sad, because I love the arrangement when it's just piano, vocals, and organ. However, the first time I heard it, I was hoping it would stay that way for all of the song, resulting in a unique piece from Coldplay. I literally said to myself, "I hope they don't break out into an anthematic ending with guitar and drums like they have in every other song on the album." Suddenly the organ picked up and I could tell it was leading to something louder. I hoped to God that they weren't going to do exactly what I expected, but then the drums came in and the guitar started slamming chords in an all-too-familiar way. So, this song represents a huge problem I have with Coldplay, which is that their songs are often painfully predictable.

I find it interesting that four of the five songs I named are frequently cited as fan favorites (unless I'm mistaken). Note that I don't consider any of these songs intolerable.

• 1 month later...

you people are crazy you have some good songs on the worst list WDF

heres mine

1.easy to please-(boring makes me want to die)

2.the hardest part-(too wierd)

3.parachutes- (only on this list becuase its so short)

4.I Bloom Blaum

5.clocks-(JUST KIDDING):lol:i love this song lol

5.careful where you stand-(again boring)

4. solid ground

:shocked2:

it's my favourite bootleg. how can one not like that song?? but... well... each to their own :nice:

• "Moses" - i feel quite bad for saying this, but i really cannot stand this song. chris could've dedicated a better song to gywn. :laugh3: plus, sounds too much like "One I Love".
  • "What If" - booooooooooooring. i have a hard job on staying awake when i listen to this one.
  • "The World Turned Upside Down" - starts off so friggin boring. i could stab myself every time i hear chris singing. ... "x pause and y pause ..."
  • "Things I Don't Understand" - i sometimes confuse it with "The World Turned Upside Down" because it's just as boring as that song. those two songs are real bummer.
  • "Swallowed In The Sea" - i kinda started getting into it after two years, bu ti still only got one word for it: LAME!

most of them are from the "X&Y" era.

eugh, i know why i disliked that album compared to "AROBTTH" and "Parachutes".

sure, it's great, but not as good as...

The Scientist - It bothers me how simple and repetitive this song is; perhaps if it were not some people's proclaimed "greatest song of all time" I wouldn't mind so much.

Don't Panic - As a musician, I am more than a little miffed by the fact that the band essentially repeats the exact same thing three times in a row with a barely-different coda. The chorus is also just so straightfoward that it does not resonate with me.

Amsterdam - This one makes me sad, because I love the arrangement when it's just piano, vocals, and organ. However, the first time I heard it, I was hoping it would stay that way for all of the song, resulting in a unique piece from Coldplay. I literally said to myself, "I hope they don't break out into an anthematic ending with guitar and drums like they have in every other song on the album." Suddenly the organ picked up and I could tell it was leading to something louder. I hoped to God that they weren't going to do exactly what I expected, but then the drums came in and the guitar started slamming chords in an all-too-familiar way. So, this song represents a huge problem I have with Coldplay, which is that their songs are often painfully predictable.

To be quite honest with you I can tell just by what you just said that your not a good musician at all, and you also miss the entire point of Coldplay. Also as you being a musician and such I should hope you would know that Jonny Buckland never plays a single chord in Amsterdam. But then again what do I know...

I can't believe you haven't mention "Twisted Logic". It's really annoying and can't stand it at all. Lucky there was "Till Kingdom Come" to save the last part of X & Y.

Other songs I don't like:

- A Whisper (The only track of the album that would have never apply to be a single)

- I Bloom Blaum (Makes me fall asleep)

- Your Love Means Everything (:confused:)

- Bigger Stronger

Hmm....this thread is getting on my nerve because all my fave b-sides are being mentioned :P

Um....I'm gonna be a first and say: I simply can't put any of them down as my least favourites...I tried, I promise but I love all their songs way to much to downgrade any of them, sorry.

To be quite honest with you I can tell just by what you just said that your not a good musician at all
That is pretty much the most painful thing you could've said to me. You're also, thankfully, the only person who has said that of me.

you also miss the entire point of Coldplay
If anything, becoming a musician is what removed most of my appreciation of Coldplay. Some of the band's songs, particularly on A Rush Of Blood To The Head, demonstrate no musical tact or sophistication at all. This might not matter to most listeners, but it drives me up the wall.

Jonny Buckland never plays a single chord in Amsterdam
This statement leaves four possibilities open:

1. Johnny is playing single notes instead of chords.

2. The instrument played in the song that sounds like a guitar (to me) is not a guitar.

3. Johhny is playing guitar chords.

4. ...Somebody other than Johnny is playing guitar? (I never said it was him)

Which is it?

I must say Gabriel that I find your last post somewhat irking. First you say that you're dissapointed by the level of musical sophistication surrounding coldplay...and go after jonny in amsterdam to prove your point. Well first off, it's a minimalist song, the solo piano (the complexities of which you haven't acknowledged) was the best way to portray the loneliness of the lyrics. Second you emphasize your musicianship but you can't even figure out that Jonny is playing an E-bow. Frankly I can't imagine a more appropiate guitar arrangement for the song. A wild solo would kill the song altogether. anywho...it's a poor song to pick on.

Now, probably the best song to pick on is "in my place". That I can understand. But always keep in mind that coldplay are tactful musicians at heart. If you go back to their early work "brothers and sisters", "only superstition" etc. you'll have a hell of a time trying to learn surprisingly complicated tabs. I'm not saying that's faded away either. the songs X&Y, speed of sound, and the hardest part feature very intricate guitar from jonny. In fact not many songs on X&Y(other than fix you) can be picked on in that respect.

Either way, coldplay isn't a show-offy, 18 minute solo, see how many notes I can play in a minute type of band. and I think they deserve slightly more credit.

Second you emphasize your musicianship but you can't even figure out that Jonny is playing an E-bow.
I suck at guitar; I don't know the brands at all. I play piano.

The songs X&Y, speed of sound, and the hardest part feature very intricate guitar from jonny. In fact not many songs on X&Y(other than fix you) can be picked on in that respect.
That's why X&Y was my favorite Coldplay album for a long time. I feel like it represents a huge step forward in the band's songwriting.

Either way, coldplay isn't a show-offy, 18 minute solo, see how many notes I can play in a minute type of band. and I think they deserve slightly more credit.
Trust me, I give Coldplay a lot more credit than most non-fans - ironically, I haven't found anybody else who doesn't love or hate Coldplay.

And as for musical sophistication, Coldplay definitely has it is some of their songs: The fact that Chris Martin found a working melody for the verse chords to "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" pretty much blows my mind, and I love the arrangement of "A Rush Of Blood To The Head".

i love all coldplay songs (rated 5 stars...absolutely!!) but these are the songs that i don't like the most (i feel so guilty to do this actually) :(

5. a whisper (it doesnt shows any 'whisper', i think)

4. for you (boring....)

3. low (too fast and too noisy)

2. pour me - live version (i don't like the part when chris starts screaming)

1. such a rush (i don't understand this song at all) ;)