✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

20-Oct-08: Ottawa - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 21 Oct]

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys - was at the show last night and am a huge Pearl Jam fan. Just wondering if MP3s of the show are readily available between traders and if there is a huge Coldplay trading community for both audio and video? Would be really interested in the audio and video of both the show last night and the last time they played Ottawa.

Cheers - and fantastic show last night!

Here's the Ottawa Citizen's review:

Coldplay begins tour leg on grand scale in Ottawa

Lynn Saxberg

The Ottawa Citizen

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Coldplay kicked off the North American leg of their world tour at Scotiabank Place last night, and it sure didn't take long to turn into a joyous sing-along as the four band members were caught up in a swell of about 13,000 voices.

By song three, singer Chris Martin had every man, woman and youth in the stadium belting along as he bashed an upright piano. After the processional Life in Technicolor and the rocking Violet Hill, two songs from the latest disc, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, the familiar hook of the 2002 hit Clocks created a surge of energy in the near sold-out audience.

In My Place, another song from the Rush of Blood to the Head disc, had the same effect. With the stage lights up, Martin appeared tickled to see what he and bandmates Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Guy Berryman had created. He bounced across the stage and down each of the two catwalks, bending backwards as he sang, a limber performer whose body was as supple as his voice.

Lovable and a bit goofy, the sandy-haired Mr. Paltrow never missed a chance to connect with the audience, sometimes even talking in the middle of a song.

"We're Coldplay," he said early in the concert, unnecessarily identifying one of the biggest bands in the world. "We really appreciate the fact that all you beautiful Canadians have come out to see a band from miles away. You could have been playing Scrabble or doing homework. We hope to give you some good entertainment."

Indeed they did, delivering a career-spanning set with Martin setting the enthusiastic pace. No longer a wallflower who hides behind his piano, he's blossomed into the gregarious host of a magnificent event. It was a concert on a grand scale, complete with artful lighting design and offshoot staging that helped bring the band members closer to the audience.

The opening act, Stars, showed they have a few things in common with Coldplay, starting with a shared penchant for melodramatic pop music. Fronted by the quirky duo of Torquil Campbell and Amy Millan, the Montreal-based band delivered a strong set, except for the brutal sound and tuning problems. The sound was muddy and the vocals out of tune through most of the songs, but they played well nonetheless, their dark, repetitive songs flowing from a whisper to a frenzied wall of noise.

The Night Starts Here made the perfect opening to the highly anticipated evening. Ageless Beauty was one of the songs that spotlighted Millan's little-girl voice, while Campbell not only traded verses with her in duet fashion, but also supplied falsetto background harmonies and played keyboards, trumpet and other instruments.

kinet, you were right in front of me, i was in C15 seat 10 or 11. I was going to move up to C14 after a bunch of ppl cleared the row to move up but I liked the open space. I REALLY wanted them to play a set on the stage closest to C but alas, it did not happen =(

hey guys - its late (5hr drive back - its almost 6am and i need sleep)... but here's a video to hold you over til i get the rest uploaded after I get some sleep...

Life in Technicolour and Violet Hill

Clocks and In My Place

as with Toronto this will take a while to get through youtube... they will slowly appear in this thread as I upload them all... just be patient please :) Trust me when I say the entire concert will be here :)

Was everybody sitting the whole time? I forgot about those floor seats... really weird.

Nah, everybody was standing the whole concert. The only song everybody sat too was The Hardest Part but thats because Chris said to sit down and relax before they play Viva La Vida.

Redcurry: We were seats 15 and 16 and the 2 girls next to us moved in front of us and they were short so we had lots of space!!!

I too was disappointed they didn't play on our side, but I caught their wind when they zoomed by us to go to the back! Really cool!

I think that most people stood up the whole time except when they played opposite from us, we could barely see them anyway. Plus, Chris told us to sit while he was playing a slow song so we could catch our breath! lol

How can you not stand up to dance??? I don't get those people who get floor seats and sit!?

I was in the 300 level, 1st row and was rudely told to sit down by a girl behind us...we asked her if she knew that she was at a concert. She said we were ruining her experience by standing and that she couldn't stand (not true btw!) She said if we wanted to stand, we should have got floor tix. I told her that if she wanted to sit, she should have gone to the wheelchair section.

Probably out of line, but geez, c'mon Ottawa people....

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face and Talk

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1B39MqKTz4]YouTube - God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Talk (Acoustic) (Ottawa 2008)[/ame]

at the end Chris does the 'falling to the floor from the piano' thing :)

note: just noticed youtube has a multi-video uploader... i've tagged all 20+ videos and will post links as they become available.

forgot to mention another rather disappointing event that I saw... I had actually forgotten my memory card in the car when I was sitting in the arena at my seat some 20 minutes before the opening act so I asked the ushers if I could go to my car and get my card.. They said sure and scanned my ticket... as I was returning through the front foyer I looked over at the ticket booths and I couldn't believe the long lines of people trying to buy tickets.. At the Toronto show both nights were sold out long before the event but I couldn't believe how many people were in line for tickets at the booth. Either there were tons of tickets still remaining OR these people really took a huge chance waiting til the last minute for tickets...

forgot to mention another rather disappointing event that I saw... I had actually forgotten my memory card in the car when I was sitting in the arena at my seat some 20 minutes before the opening act so I asked the ushers if I could go to my car and get my card.. They said sure and scanned my ticket... as I was returning through the front foyer I looked over at the ticket booths and I couldn't believe the long lines of people trying to buy tickets.. At the Toronto show both nights were sold out long before the event but I couldn't believe how many people were in line for tickets at the booth. Either there were tons of tickets still remaining OR these people really took a huge chance waiting til the last minute for tickets...

I don't think that's disappointing. It's a function of the Ottawa market. Not sure why, but even for our hockey team, it is probably one of the largest walk up crowds in the NHL. It just is.

(ps. I pm'd ya - respond whenever you can!)

[Oxfam Blog] We did it!

The new ‘Oxfam sign-ups on the Coldplay tour 2008 World Record’ holders are Oxfam Canada’s amazing group of volunteers in Ottawa. 2032 is the magic number of Coldplay fans who signed up. It was an incredible night. What a way to start the new tour. The Coldplay set was awesome too. They nailed it last night, following opening act, a local band called ‘Stars’, with an awesome set. The atmosphere once again, was electric.

Thank you to Victoria Harnett, from Oxfam’s Toronto office, and all of our volunteers last night, for their energy and enthusiasm. They worked tirelessly to give as many fans as possible, the chance to take an action with Oxfam. It was a really inspiring night. 2032 people in the space of a few hours standing up against poverty, and making a noise for Health and Education For All. Amongst them was Ottawa Senators Allstar player, Jason Spezza. One of the volunteers was very pleased about that!

We have now rolled up in Cleveland, Ohio, after crossing the border to USA during the stormy night. The rain may have held us up a little.. It’s going to be a quick day. Everyone is running around to get the stage up, lights in the air and rigging set. Trucks are being wheeled in one after the next, with cases flowing off the ramp. It’s a frantic start to the day, but ‘we’re jamming now’ (as Fin, the production manager just said), so we’ll get there. I will be pleased to climb in my bunk tonight and say.. “we did it again”.

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=82

I was in the 300 level, 1st row and was rudely told to sit down by a girl behind us...we asked her if she knew that she was at a concert. She said we were ruining her experience by standing and that she couldn't stand (not true btw!) She said if we wanted to stand, we should have got floor tix. I told her that if she wanted to sit, she should have gone to the wheelchair section.

Probably out of line, but geez, c'mon Ottawa people....

Good for you!

http://nonamedufus.blogspot.com/2008/10/last-night-maryse-and-i-took-our-semi.html

Last night Maryse and I took our semi-regular "let's relive our youth" trek to the Scotiabank Place and took in a Coldplay concert. They were excellent! Preceeded by a forgettable opening act (Stars, who Wikipedia refers to as "a Juno Award nominated Canadian indie pop band") Coldplay squeezed all their hits and some new stuff into about an hour and-a-half.

We had fairly good seats, three rows up in the 200 level to the side of the stage. Not near enough for close-ups but I got some decent pics from my point and shoot camera.

The band began at centre stage, used the aprons at either side of the stage throughout the concert, did a short acoustic set below us on the stage-left apron and -get this - ran to the far end of the arena where they performed two acoustic numbers in front of a level 100 box!

All in all, a highly entertaining evening from Chris Martin and his band mates.

IMG_5436.JPG

[more pics & some vids at the blog]

http://nonamedufus.blogspot.com/2008/10/last-night-maryse-and-i-took-our-semi.html

Last night Maryse and I took our semi-regular "let's relive our youth" trek to the Scotiabank Place and took in a Coldplay concert. They were excellent! Preceeded by a forgettable opening act (Stars, who Wikipedia refers to as "a Juno Award nominated Canadian indie pop band") Coldplay squeezed all their hits and some new stuff into about an hour and-a-half.

We had fairly good seats, three rows up in the 200 level to the side of the stage. Not near enough for close-ups but I got some decent pics from my point and shoot camera.

The band began at centre stage, used the aprons at either side of the stage throughout the concert, did a short acoustic set below us on the stage-left apron and -get this - ran to the far end of the arena where they performed two acoustic numbers in front of a level 100 box!

All in all, a highly entertaining evening from Chris Martin and his band mates.

IMG_5436.JPG

[more pics & some vids at the blog]

its always funny (for me at least) to read articles from people who haven't followed or heard of their concert tricks to say things like 'they were IN THE CROWD' or like the dude sitting behind me telling his girlfriend "those people must have paid premium prices for those tickets" where they do the acoustic set in the crowd... uhhhh no..... :laugh3: