✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

21-Oct-08: Cleveland - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 6 Jul]

Cleveland Review: Coldplay brings arena-rocking anthems and super-sized ballads to Th

There's no escaping Joe the Plumber these days. Not even at a rock 'n' roll show.

Less than a week after you-know-who found himself at the center of the final presidential debate, the non-licensed tradesman from Holland, Ohio, was mentioned indirectly a couple of times when the British quartet Coldplay performed Tuesday night at The Q. "You live in the most important state . . . at the moment," frontman Chris Martin told concertgoers, referring to Ohio's pivotal role in the upcoming election. "You also have, according to the news, some of the best plumbers in the world," Martin couldn't resist adding.

The charismatic singer and his bandmates -- guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion (decked out in their finest psychedelic military regalia, to a man) -- didn't shy away from serious topics in their songs. "Violet Hill," "Cemeteries of London," the transcendent "42" (a soul-searcher in three movements) and other selections from Coldplay's latest album, "Viva La Vida," broached life-and-death matters. Yet these guys (all in their early 30s) managed to keep the mood not only light, but even uplifiting at times.

During "Lovers in Japan," thousands of Day-Glo paper butterflies fluttered down from the rafters. It made for a magical spectacle.

The concert originally had been scheduled for July. It was pushed back when Coldplay postponed the start of its North American tour because of unspecified production issues. Martin apologized for any inconvenience.

Better late than never, an eye-popping light show complemented the band's arena-rocking anthems and super-sized ballads. Martin & Co. often were backlit, content to be silhouettes while their fans got to bask in the bright lights instead.

Curtains hid lots of empty seats in the upper reaches of the venue, filled to only three-fourths capacity, tops. What the audience lacked in numbers, it made up for with unbridled enthusiasm. The sing-along at the end of "Fix You" was especially heartwarming.

"For a Tuesday night, you people are on incredible form," Martin remarked.

He wasn't too shabby himself. "The Hardest Part" showcased his versatile pipes, with low-register verses giving way to a breathtaking falsetto refrain. When he wasn't concentrating on playing guitar or piano, Martin cavorted on two runways jutting into the crowd.

The whole band relocated to a rear corner of the arena to deliver stripped-down renditions of "The Scientist" and "Death Will Never Conquer." Champion ably handled lead vocals on the latter song, while Martin tooted a harmonica.

Coldplay brought the 90-minute performance to a feel-good close by revisiting its 2000 breakthrough hit, "Yellow."

Despite the occasional Joe the Plumber joke, Martin avoided overt political commentary. Or maybe the impassioned chorus of "Politik" was his message to voters: "Open up your eyes!" he sang, over and over.

SET LIST: "Life in Technicolor," "Violet Hill," "Clocks," "In My Place," "Speed of Sound," "Cemeteries of London," "Chinese Sleep Chant," "42," "Fix You," "Strawberry Swing," "God Put a Smile upon Your Face/Let's Talk," "The Hardest Part," "Postcards from Far Away," "Viva La Vida," "Lost!," "The Scientist," "Death Will Never Conquer"

ENCORE: "Politik," "Lovers in Japan," "Death and All His Friends," "Yellow"

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2008/10/coldplay_brings_arenarocking_a.html

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concert Review: Coldplay Disappoints, Duffy Exhilarates

coldplay-live.jpg

Coldplay, who many rock critics have tabbed as the next U2, headlined the the Quicken Loans Arena tonight and drew a crowd that I would estimate at about 17,000. The band that hails from Britain failed to answer the lingering questions that I had about about the band. Chris Martin and company were wise enough to bring along the next rising star in the music industry as Duffy thrilled as the opening act.

The problem that I see in Coldplay is too much show and not enough actual talent to back up their big act.. The band has some songs to thrill a crowd but aren't quite at the level that they seem to think they are at. Between the set of the excellent opening act Duffy was simply eyebrows raising. Coldplay seems to accept the fact that they don't know who they are despite being rock veterans. Playing songs ranging from rap to classical music before they took the stage made you wonder what to expect and, not surprisingly to me, failed to deliver on the supposed grandiose entrance.

While Mr Paltrow possesses good songwriting skills at times it didn't fulfill a full set that could entertain for an entire evening. The selection of songs tried mask the weak vocals by Martin by utilizing a wide assortment of t lighting effects which seemed to enthrall parts of the crowd but veterans of rock shows in attendance knew that there was something lacking in terms of quality in the bands performance. The band does not inspire passion from the crowd and simply seems to be a passing fad that will fade as soon as the music industry moves onto the next "in" thing.

While I can dismiss their live show, Coldplay is not afraid to employ a solid opening act. On their last tour, the band had one of the most underrated singer-songwriters in the last decade opening for them in Richard Ashcroft who shot to fame in the mid-90's with his band The Verve. This time around, the band is touring with neo-soul singer Duffy who truly lived up to hype that has surrounded her from her home of Wales. While her live sound has not been fine tuned to an Arena setting, Duffy truly has the making of an extraordinary live act. Her meek voice which introduced her songs was an amazing contrast to her strong vocals which wowed the crowd and probably made them wonder why she was supporting a band instead of headlining a show herself. Duffy has the makings of a superstar if she can handle the fame that surrounds it.

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/7392

Guest kmm1482

IMG00089.jpgIMG00091.jpg

for anyone who worked with oxfam, where were your seats? so excited for the philly show!

My wife and mom volunteered with me and our seats were in the press box near the back of the arena, we were literally about 10 or 15 rows back from where they did Scientist and Death Will Never Conquer. I took a picture on my phone, it turned out ok. The really sweet lady who also volunteered with us and sat with us went up to get a drink about 30 seconds before they appeared right below us and said they ran literally RIGHT past her on their way out!

IMG00089.jpgIMG00091.jpg

My wife and mom volunteered with me and our seats were in the press box near the back of the arena, we were literally about 10 or 15 rows back from where they did Scientist and Death Will Never Conquer. I took a picture on my phone, it turned out ok. The really sweet lady who also volunteered with us and sat with us went up to get a drink about 30 seconds before they appeared right below us and said they ran literally RIGHT past her on their way out!

awesome! were they really good seats?

YouTube - viva la vida - coldplay cleveland[/url]

Okay is it me, or does half the crowd look DEAD? I mean they should be going crazy right now!

ugh... did they realize they were at a concert? I barely hear any cheering/screaming :(

I hate that. People who have some of the best seats and they dont even appreciate it. Plus its COLDPLAY!!!! Ahh people people!!!

and you know what i hate even more?!

your seat/position in the concert is determined by how much money you have, not how big of a fan you are!

so what is that? the richer, the bigger fan?

that's for all concerts,not just coldplay.

and i don't understand HOW someone can be dead for viva la vida, i SHIVER to the THOUGHT of being there, and when I was it felt UNREAL, such a great atmosphere...

I mean, my mum jumps around when she hears this song. What else can I say? It is , hands down, one of the best songs ever, and maybe even the best song of this SHITTY for music decade.

Um I was totally one of the people jumping up and down and screaming with my friend in our floor seats. The crowd definitely joined in with the "woah-oh-ohh" parts but the dancing was WEAK.

But the saddest part was that half the people around me weren't even singing the verses to some of the songs. Haha but it didn't matter cause I was yelling the words so I made up for the slackers... :cool:

and you know what i hate even more?!

your seat/position in the concert is determined by how much money you have, not how big of a fan you are!

so what is that? the richer, the bigger fan?

that's for all concerts,not just coldplay.

and i don't understand HOW someone can be dead for viva la vida, i SHIVER to the THOUGHT of being there, and when I was it felt UNREAL, such a great atmosphere...

I mean, my mum jumps around when she hears this song. What else can I say? It is , hands down, one of the best songs ever, and maybe even the best song of this SHITTY for music decade.

I was so happy to find that my seats that were all the way at the top section were upgraded to the lower deck right behind the sound crew last night, really couldn't afford the floor seats. I had so much fun at this concert.

same old setlist blablabla...

They need to start mixing these setlists up like they were doing at the start of the tour, i'm seeing them at the o2 and in Liverpool in December and it would be nice to get a few different tracks for my money!