✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

1-Dec-08 - Birmingham, NIA - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, The Mrs & the boy were supposed to be going to the gig in Birmingham on 1/12/08, unfortunately due the fact that events led to me completely forgetting about it till yesterday means that we've missed it, And, as the thread title says I'm bloody gutted.

the fact that It's cost me £120.00 is inconsequential to the fact that I've missed what sounds like an absolute belter of a gig.

My son's putting a brave face on it, but i suspect he's almost inconsolable.

please feel free to call me a muppet if you wish!!!!

You might still be able to get tickets for one of the remaining concerts in the UK if you really wanna go.

how could you forget a gig???

and even if you forgot it... didn't you wife and son know when was the gig?? because all of you forgetting the gig is quite weird :confused:

I'm sorry anyway.. that looks like a bad dream

how could you forget a gig???

and even if you forgot it... didn't you wife and son know when was the gig?? because all of you forgetting the gig is quite weird :confused:

I'm sorry anyway.. that looks like a bad dream

Gah, I just remembered my dream before going to the Sheffield gig!!

I dreamed that I went out drinking before the gig and I couldn't remember anything from it. Had a complete drunk blackout. :laugh4:

Coldplay Tour Starts With Singer’s Outburst at ‘Tough’ Audience

Dec. 4 (Bloomberg) -- “My, you lot are a tough crowd,” Chris Martin says, staring into the darkness offstage.

He’s learning the hard way that there can be bad days, even for a singer like him. Martin’s band Coldplay, now with seven more Grammy award nominations, is starting another leg of a tour intended to crown its most spectacular year yet.

The audience in Birmingham, central England, has far more folded arms than clapping hands for the group hailed as the savior of EMI Group Ltd. Coldplay’s 2008 album “Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends” added to a career total of more than 40 million records sold, including No. 1 singles in the U.S. and U.K. this year.

On a cold night, the good folk in the National Indoor Arena take time to warm to Q Magazine’s “Best Act in the World Today.” Coldplay is gearing up for concerts in London, Japan and Australia. It has to work hard with its tried and tested formula of well-crafted, mildly alternative rock ballads.

“Life In Technicolor,” full of zinging oriental instruments, is as tingling an opener live as on disc. “Violet Hill” allows the band a little Led Zeppelin rock worship as the backdrop is exposed: a giant reproduction of Eugene Delacroix’s “Liberty Leading the People.” Used as the sleeve for “Viva La Vida,” it features the only naked breast that is likely ever to be seen at a Coldplay gig.

There follows a slew of the old hits: “Clocks,” “Yellow,” “Speed of Sound.” Archetypal Coldplay songs, these are all big tunes, carefully constructed to deliver non-specific heartfelt emotion. Middlebrow, invariably nice and approachable, their charms are infuriatingly effective.

Falsetto Gallivanting

Even so, Coldplay takes no risks. Will Champion’s beefy drumming and Jonny Buckland’s chiming guitar conspire to fill the venue. Martin throws himself into his role, communing emotionally with a small upright piano, then belting out his falsetto, exhorting audience singing and generally gallivanting up, down and around the stage. Dressed in a suspiciously well-tailored approximation of one of Delacroix’s more ragged uniforms, he performs like a trouper.

To little avail: the crowd, a more sensibly clad cross section of ordinary folk, by no means Coldplay super-fans, remains largely unmoved. Pumped up with stadium bombast, the songs lose their homely appeal. Martin thanks the crowd for having arranged babysitters and come along on a freezing weekday.

As Coldplay revels in “42,” from its Lennon-ist start through a Joy Division middle to its U2-aping rock conclusion, the audience finally starts more consistent outbreaks of singing, clapping and cheering.

Set Reprieve

“Fix You” from 2005’s “X&Y” album follows, rejuvenated and electric. The numbers “Viva la Vida” and “Lovers in Japan” are impressive and provide some reprieve for the 26-song, 105-minute set. Still, Coldplay came, saw and didn’t quite conquer Birmingham.

Martin is known for his superficially deep, platitude- riddled lyrics that would in other circumstances find him employment as an astrologer. His stroppy “tough crowd” comment is in line with his reputation, when not singing, for speaking passionately. He also apologizes for the recent dearth of British gigs and blames the band’s management.

Coldplay is guaranteed a good Christmas, thanks to the Grammy nominations, tour and sales of its new EP “Prospekt’s March.” If Martin’s directness came across in his music, the future may be even brighter.

Rating: 2 stars.

Coldplay is on EMI. Albums are available from about $18.98 in the U.S, or 9.99 pounds in the U.K. Download fees vary across services.

Full tour dates are on http://www.coldplay.com/live.php. The London concerts are at the O2 from Dec. 14. The Japan gigs follow in February 2009 and then Australia.

What the Stars Mean: 4 stars Excellent 3 stars Good 2 stars Average 1 star Poor (No stars) Worthless (Robert Heller writes for Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=a2nSVo5FOtRU&refer=home

Retrieved from "http://wiki.coldplaying.com/index.php/1_December_2008:_NIA%2C_Birmingham%2C_UK"

COLDPLAY have come a long way since they played Birmingham’s Ronnie Scott’s in 2000, just as their album Parachutes was hitting the headlines.

Now they are commanding three nights at the National Indoor Arena and are on the crest of a wave after the success of their most recent album Viva la Vida. When the concert opened with Strauss, it was as if we were in for a classical spectacular – and in some ways we were. The show was nothing if not a spectacle with Coldplay pulling out all the stops for special effects.

We had laser beams, we had huge globes lowering from the ceiling and projecting images, we had confetti, we had huge painted backdrops, we had moving images and flashing lights – it was one crowd-pleaser after another. And the music was just as likely to keep the crowds happy. New material such as Violet Hill, Life in Technicolour and Lost! were easily blended with old favourites such as The Scientist, Clocks, In My Place and Politik. Happily they avoided the temptation of keeping the anthemic Yellow until the encore although it was played under yellow light with the mic turned towards the audience to sing along.

Lead singer Chris Martin, dressed in military jacket, was bursting with enthusiasm. With two thrust stages into the crowds, there was plenty of opportunity for audience interaction but the band went one better by appearing on their own mini stage at the back of the auditorium for a couple of tracks.

Martin was in jocular mood, cracking jokes, urging the audience to sing loudly.Only too well aware that the band have long been absent from Birmingham he admitted he had been nervous of the reaction they would receive but with the crowds on their feet there was little doubt of their appreciation.

http://www.birminghammail.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coldplay rock at the NIA

It seems odd that British band Coldplay have been on the road so long before coming back to their own shores. But then, having taken the world by storm, it’s understandable that everyone now wants a part of the pie.

Regardless, this was Coldplay’s second British performance on their latest tour to promote new album Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. And it did not disappoint. Most bands keen to shift more copies of their latest offering would plough through a set full of new material, not so Coldplay, who clearly understand that their catalogue is rich enough and their fans demanding enough to want the classics.

To this end, Chris Martin led his merry men through the starter Violet Hill before performing some of the band’s signature tunes. A relatively basic set, starting with a huge backdrop with the album’s artwork, things only became more dynamic with the now traditional laser show to accompany the mesmerising Clocks. Elsewhere, a nice touch when a packed NIA seemingly thought the show may have been over when the boys hit the stands and weaved through the crowds, only to perch themselves smack-bang in the middle of fans to perform Green Eyes.

Speed Of Sound was a particular highlight, although performed in darkness, as were Viva La Vida, which surely must have rocked the arena’s foundations, as well as encore track The Scientist, which was blended quite beautifully with, no joking, Take That’s Back For Good. A beautiful performance from the band. Only let down was Chris Martin’s dress sense. He may have a tough time selling the one turn-up look on his trousers, but with a voice like that, he can be forgiven almost any transgression.

http://www.expressandstar.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top show left me happy to be alive

Back on home soil after 80 dates away, the mighty Coldplay served up few setlist surprises in new songs for the second night of the UK leg of their Viva La Vida tour - but Trouble from the first album Parachutes, was added for British fans.

Other songs included Violet Hill, from latest album Viva La Vida, Clocks, In My Place, Fix You from X&Y, a techno version of God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, Viva La Vida itself and Postcards From Far Away, with frontman Chris Martin singing solo with just a piano instrumental. Another surprise was an acoustic version of The Scientist with a sample of Take That’s Back for Good at the end. Once the crowd got going, the atmosphere was electric and the band drew two standing ovations. With Martin urging the audience to “sing like you’re auditioning for X Factor,” the stadium was on a high. Martin didn’t just play and sing, he became one with the instruments, throwing himself around the stage belting out hit after hit.

With neon confetti, dazzling lights, a walk around the auditorium and some one of the best effects I have seen in a long time, the gig actually made me feel happy to be alive. The band have firmly cemented their place at the top spot.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/

Coldplay pull out all the stops for Brum gig

COLDPLAY,

Birmingham NIA

COLDPLAY have come a long way since they played Birmingham’s Ronnie Scott’s in 2000, just as their album Parachutes was hitting the headlines.

Now they are commanding three nights at the National Indoor Arena and are on the crest of a wave after the success of their most recent album Viva la Vida.

When the concert opened with Strauss, it was as if we were in for a classical spectacular – and in some ways we were. The show was nothing if not a spectacle with Coldplay pulling out all the stops for special effects.

We had laser beams, we had huge globes lowering from the ceiling and projecting images, we had confetti, we had huge painted backdrops, we had moving images and flashing lights – it was one crowd-pleaser after another.

And the music was just as likely to keep the crowds happy. New material such as Violet Hill, Life in Technicolour and Lost! were easily blended with old favourites such as The Scientist, Clocks, In My Place and Politik. Happily they avoided the temptation of keeping the anthemic Yellow until the encore although it was played under yellow light with the mic turned towards the audience to sing along.

Lead singer Chris Martin, dressed in military jacket, was bursting with enthusiasm.

With two thrust stages into the crowds, there was plenty of opportunity for audience interaction but the band went one better by appearing on their own mini stage at the back of the auditorium for a couple of tracks.

Martin was in jocular mood, cracking jokes, urging the audience to sing loudly.

Only too well aware that the band have long been absent from Birmingham he admitted he had been nervous of the reaction they would receive but with the crowds on their feet there was little doubt of their appreciation.

VERDICT: HHHHH

Dec 2 2008 by Andy Richards, Birmingham Mail

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2008/12/02/coldplay-pull-out-all-the-stops-for-brum-gig-97319-22384576/

Retrieved from "http://wiki.coldplaying.com/index.php/1_December_2008:_NIA%2C_Birmingham%2C_UK"

I love reading official type reviews - they always make me laugh :)

I didn't think Chris was particularly stroppy, re. the Bloomberg review. I did think the crowd took a while to get going, and the crowd on the tuesday was generally better than the first. Personally, I'd put it down to the seating arrangements. All the people who would otherwise have been going nuts at the front (like me) were scattered around the arena, and not bunched up at the front going nuts where the band would have seen them.

But I definitely don't think it was that bad. I loved it.

Those last reviews were much better :p

I love reading official type reviews - they always make me laugh :)

I didn't think Chris was particularly stroppy, re. the Bloomberg review. I did think the crowd took a while to get going, and the crowd on the tuesday was generally better than the first. Personally, I'd put it down to the seating arrangements. All the people who would otherwise have been going nuts at the front (like me) were scattered around the arena, and not bunched up at the front going nuts where the band would have seen them.

But I definitely don't think it was that bad. I loved it.

Those last reviews were much better :p

I agree!

He definitely wasn't stroppy!

A little nervous perhaps but the crowd wasn't exactly receptive, I was going nuts all on my own in the nose bleed seats to the left of the stage, I had a fantastic view but I still would have rather been standing at the front getting jostled with all of the other hard core fans!

I was really disappointed that everyone didn't give them the reception that hey deserved, especially the mobile phone glow sticks that they've seen all over the rest of the world. Although from what I've heard & read, Roadie #42's blog for instance, the following 2 nights were much better.

I'm gonna see them again at the O2 on December 14th so I'm just hoping to be a part of a more rapturous crowd then!