✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Lovers in Japan Aged Poorly

Okay, so I'm one of those people who have yet to listen to this album on a song by song basis, and what I mean by that is I don't pick out favorites or anything like that. I listen to the whole album in sequence. I'm always going to do that with this album just because I love the way it goes, but I've found the album version of Lovers in Japan just seems so ordinary to me.

At first listen it might have been my favorite song, but right now it seems so bland in comparison to everything else. I still love the acoustic version, but the album version has lost its charm with more listens.

Anyone else feel this way about this song?

I never cared for the song actually. Theres way too much synth going on constantly in the background, and it just comes off sounding frantic and cluttered. This is one track I think would really have benefited from their older stripped down style.

lol well ive had time between this comment and my opinion certainly has changed.

i simply meant that when i first heard the acoustic version of lovers in japan i was blown away. it was going to be the best song and i think when i heard the album version i was disappointed.

but since i went away from coldplay for a few weeks (sacrelige i know) ive found myself liking it a lot again.

It was one of the standout tracks from the very first listen for me, and still is. For me the hinge that the whole album hangs around is LiJ/RoL - it just wouldn't work without it.

Actually, I like the song more, the more I hear it.

Still not got round to listening to the acoustic version...

Eek, get around to it RedGirl!! :shocked2:

• 3 years later...
I never cared for the song actually. Theres way too much synth going on constantly in the background, and it just comes off sounding frantic and cluttered. This is one track I think would really have benefited from their older stripped down style.

Oh dear. If this person thought that there was way too much synth in LiJ, then I just hope they survived listening to MX :rolleyes:

^ :laugh3:

The good thing about Lovers In Japan is that every time I get bored of something on it (like the piano riff) there's a new thing to discover, I still love it, the background is amazing, for me it's a better recording and arrangement than Viva, though the later is a better song.

Guest howyousawtheworld

My favourite Coldplay song. The melody is just stunningly beautiful, and both the acoustic and album versions are as worthy as each other. I love the rushing/distorted guitars that lie underneath the song and the drumming I do particularly love as well. As for the lyrics it's one of the few I can actualpy relate to. On paper they don't look much but the way tuey are sung in the melody is incredible. 'I have no doubt, one day the sun will come out'. My favourite of all Coldplay lyrics. Nothing else by Coldplay beats this song!