✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ask the Oracle on Coldplay.com (Now in session!)

twistedlogic149

February 27, 2012 - submitted by Renan, Brazil

Q. Will Coldplay sing with Elton John someday? I would love to see Elton John on the Chris's piano.

The Oracle replies:

As it goes, I am about to make you very happy Renan. Elton already has played on Chris' piano.

Elton invited the band over to his Atlanta residence for lunch when they were playing there back in 2003. They invited him to play piano on Trouble and he did.

February 27, 2012 - submitted by Bames, United Kingdom

Q. Any chance of the band ever playing songs like Bigger Stronger, We Never Change, High Speed and other classics again?

The Oracle replies:

There's always a chance but I'd say very slim chance. Out of those 3 I would say that We Never Change would be most likely if at all because it would fit well into the acoustic section of their show.

I was lucky enough to hear Such a Rush being tried out at a soundcheck in Antwerp back in 2005. Anchorman was even luckier as he heard the band soundcheck Bigger Stronger at Dingwalls in December last year.

February 28, 2012 - submitted by Darem, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle!

My question is do you know what book the Coldplay Puppets were reading in the picture at Corfu?

Thanks a bunch

xx

The Oracle replies:

That question was answered back on October 30, 2009. If you type puppets into the new search box or look at the "puppets" tag, you will see that the book was Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

February 28, 2012 - submitted by Mary Anne, United States of America

Q. Did Chris go to a post-Oscars party (Vanity Fair to be specific) Sunday night / wee hours of Monday morning?

The Oracle replies:

Yup and there were some photos of him looking very dapper indeed!

February 28, 2012 - submitted by Shiva, Canada

Q. Hi Oracle,

Coldplay is selling tickets for behind the stage seats for the upcoming shows. Any idea how the view would be?

The Oracle replies:

I assume it will be just like the London's shows in December I know someone who sat there and said "good actually... really suprised how good".

February 29, 2012 - submitted by JD, United Kingdom

Q. is Coldplay not playing at T in the Park 2012?

The Oracle replies:

Now there's a date I can definitely confirm that they're NOT playing given they appeared there last year.

February 29, 2012 - submitted by Paul, United Kingdom

Q. I Have two standing tickets for coldplay Friday 1st June 2012 want to swap for the Monday 4th June. Anyone interested?

The Oracle replies:

Try asking here. Hopefully you'll be able to find someone to swap with.

February 29, 2012 - submitted by Madigan Hughes, United Kingdom

Q. Hi Oracle!

Will Chris Martin be doing anything else with Noel Gallagher? Because they are my 2 favourite people in the world! And for them to perform together again like at the BRITS would by amazing!

Thanks x

The Oracle replies:

There's nothing planned other than the essence of Noel possibly featuring on future recordings. In case you missed Noel joining Chris & Jonny

back in 2002 they did a few songs together for a

March 1, 2012 - submitted by Jamie, United Kingdom

Q. Is there anyway the 20% Off advert could be taken off the front page?

Live Nation say the code expired last week and when I tried to buy merchandise with the code it didn't work :-(

Thanks

The Oracle replies:

How very strange Jamie, as the code does indeed work for me. In fact, both Anchorman and I have been filling our carts to our hearts' content.

Once you're in our Merch store, add your desired items to the cart and before you check out, enter the code COL20B12 in the promotion box. Click refresh and it should work out your new total with 20% off.

March 1, 2012 - submitted by Anirudh, India

Q. Why did Chris Martin give a standing ovation to Maroon 5 in the Grammy's while no one stood?? Was Coldplay inspired by Maroon 5 when they were kids??

The Oracle replies:

Coldplay have actually been around longer; Maroon 5 have only been around since 2002 (in that incarnation) so it certainly isn't because of any childhood inspirations - Adam Levine is younger than Chris!

However, at the Grammys Maroon 5 performed with Foster the People (who Chris has said he loves) and The Beach Boys (who the band love) in a medley of Beach Boys songs to celebrate their 50th anniversary, I'd say that's the reason Chris - and Jonny - gave a standing ovation was to congratulate 50 years of The Beach Boys.

March 2, 2012 - submitted by The Oracle, United Kingdom

Q. WHO'D LIKE TO JOIN TEAM ORACLE?

When I answer questions of a personal nature, Coldplay.com readers often get in touch with their own thoughts. So, we now have a weekly feature, Team Oracle, whereby each Friday (with the question asker's permission) we open up a question to all of you to answer too. Then, the following Friday, I'll post a selection of the best answers, alongside my own reply.

ANYONE can join in so, if you'd like to, please email your response to the following question, in no more than 250 words, to [email protected] before midnight Thursday 8th March.

Two years ago, I came out as gay to my closest friends. I thought they would accept me but I ended up losing every friend I had but one. I ended up developing severe depression for almost two years, and it got so bad that I was suicidal at one point. Now, two years later, I have a steady group of close friends who accept me and love me, but I'm not out to my extended friend group. It's uncomfortable being around them, having to pretend that I'm interested when they're talking about who they like and not being able to talk about that myself. It's near torture on a daily basis. I feel like I'm hiding part of who I am from my friends. The thing is, I'm terrified that if I come out to those friends I'll end up losing them, and I don't know if I'd be able to handle that all over again. Could you maybe help me out here? Thanks. Emma, USA.

Look forward to seeing your replies.

The Oracle

The Oracle replies:

Please email your replies to [email protected]

March 2, 2012 - submitted by Martin, Costa Rica

Q. TEAM ORACLE QUESTION #61

I play bass and drums in my church and was one of the youth leaders. There was a main youth leader who was going to give me many chances, like to preach, organise stuff, etc. I had a great freedom and opportunities. However, some people arrived to the leadership who changed everything according to their will. They even changed the main leader and then my participation was obsolete. Now, in music, one of the persons who cut my wings has it against me. If I say something, that person contradicts me. I don't know if the other people notice that and some times in the past I spoke about it and people thought I was a rebel. What can I do? I really love my church and love playing music in it, but I don't want my wings to be cut anymore. Thanks for responding me. Martin, Costa Rica.

The Oracle replies:

It's such a shame you were all set up for great things at your church that now have been lost with the changes. It must be difficult to accept but sadly that can happen at any time in all walks of life; personal and professional. I think the key here is to try and get the new people to see the real you but have a look at yourself first. It may be that you actually are giving off some negativity that you're unaware of. I wouldn't be surprised if you were subconsciously acting differently because of your disappointment. The first thing I'd propose is no matter how much it pains you, be nice to the new people. I hate it when situations sometimes dictate how to behave if it involves changing to almost pretend to be someone you're not but I'm suggesting compromise. It may take time for them to settle in and see your talents but it will help if you stay on side rather than be confrontational. Make your voice heard by all means but I will assume you don't want to leave this church so it's about not making waves and keeping the peace. In time, hopefully you'll be able to speak your mind without people thinking you're a rebel - sometimes it's about how you say things rather than what you're saying so choose your words carefully.

Maybe there are other ways you can express yourself through music outside of the church in the meantime. If not, could you possibly go where your previous leader has gone?

Over to you...

Recently I went through the same kind of thing that your describing. My wings were being cut too in a situation that i enjoyed a lot and it seemed like I was alone and that no one else cared. At first I snapped back and got angry. But then gradually I realised that I didn't need to. I found that if was good enough at music and that if I just did what I came to do, then my music would speak for itself. You don't need to tell people that your good if you are, it will definitely show, if not immediately. So let your talent and awesomeness speak for itself, and people will see how cool you are. And also, right now it may seem like you are alone in the situation. I felt that too. But everyone else who is going through or went through that is pulling for you, even if they don't know you. All you have to do is ignore the overpowering new leaders let people enjoy your music any way you can.

Your Friend, Max M., USA.

Well I think your best bet is that you should go the the main youth leader and tell them that you have been in there for awhile and could really help the band in performances for the church plus I've been playing for a while and it hurts that they are neglecting you... since your in a church they should be very inclusive but If they still decline its there loss! I'm sure there are many churches where you live that would more then welcome your drums/bass talents! plus its always good to meet new people! So get out there and rock! Carson.

I'm always surprised at how I can relate to a lot of these questions. About 2 years ago, I played the drums for my church, and while this happened the church hired a new head to the music department, and he did NOT like me. At first I thought he just didn't like how I played the drums, but then I was ten minutes late to a practice, on my birthday, and he kicked me out of the band, and told the whole church that I got mad at him and quit. I wasn't mad, so I didn't really protest, and, ironically enough, I started playing the drums for another church.

Now my advice would be to hold back, and do some "research." If this guy is contradicting everything you say, then I would try to calmly return the favor, or make sure you are completely certain with what you're about to say. Now if the you want to do something about it, find someone who has been at the church before these new leaders, and see if they agree with you about how limiting they are, when you voice your concerns, having people to agree with you can strengthen the cause, tenfold. Best wishes, Bradley H.

I think it's really cool that you play music for your church. And I'm sorry to hear that you are having troubles with your band and the people in your church. I think reasonable solution for this issue is to maybe have a meeting with the people you're having trouble with. I know it seems as if no one listens, but I think that people just ignore you on purpose because they're afraid that your ideas will be better than theirs. If they refuse to come to the meeting, just go up to the people that are cutting your wings or that you have problems with. That way they can't prepare what they are going to say to you. And they will tell the truth of what they actually feel towards you and your band. What you should give them in return is also the truth. If they don't like it then that's their problem. The truth always hurts, but it helps resolve problems like these. Secondly, if people think that you're a rebel, maybe you should talk to those people too. It helps to maybe ask why they think that you're a rebel. If you explain why to them afterwards they might even understand why you are so upset. Good luck with your music and I hope this helped you! From a fellow Coldplayer. Silke, Barcelona.

You need to say something - again and again, if that's what it takes. You seem to love playing your music, and if that's what makes you happy, you should fight for it. I completely understand if you are hesitant to say anything due to what has happened in the past, but it's still worth a try! You will have fought for your wishes, and that is very important and will hopefully give you peace of mind. As long as you address the matter to the people in a nice, proper way, I don't see any problems. No one deserves to take your wings away from you without good reason. I think that no matter what happens, one should never give up on the things that they love, so I hope that you continue to pursue music (and whatever else brings you joy), regardless of what happens at your church. Good luck! Sincerely, Medina.

It's absolutely terrible you feel so unwelcome in your own church. Does anyone else feel the same? It's possible there might be others who are afraid to speak up. Since you have already expressed your concerns alone, try finding others in the church who feel the same way you do. Organize a meeting with your group and the new leaders and explain your position. Perhaps you can reach a compromise regarding preaching and/or music that you can all agree on. Another route you could take would be to find a new church with new people. If the original leader was relocated, perhaps you can find their new location and follow. If you choose to stay, stick with your friends in the church and help each other through this rough patch. I'm sure once you get to know the new people, they won't be as harsh as they seem. Hope this helps,Blake.

I'm sorry you are having problems but as the cliche goes "change is a part of life". It sounds like the more you protest the farther you are from having what you want. Stop fighting the changes, even if you don't agree with them. Remember, you can't change anyone else but yourself. Start by being accountable for your part in this. When we push people to get what we want, usually they push back and toughen their stance. Many times what we want is not what we need. There are lessons in everything in life, especially when things are tough. That is when you need to examine your actions and reactions and learn and grow. I have a friend that has a fairly new job and seems to be always complaining and fighting, especially when she doesn't get her way or someone has something she wants. Everything she complains about others, she does herself, but can't seem to see that part. What are you contributing to this situation? This is a church, so are you being loving or angry because you don't have your way? When you say that "your wings are cut", I'm sorry but that sounds like drama to me. Your wings are only cut by the limitations you put on yourself. Focus on what you like about your church, let the rest go and then find other opportunities for playing your music, etc. elsewhere. Open yourself up to other possibilities and shine. Dawn.

I'm sorry for what you're going through right now Martin. It's a difficult situation, and even though it might seem like a bad idea, I think you should have a talk with your fellow youth leaders about it. I don't think they understood how much it really means to you. Tell them how frustrated you feel and how the others have taken away your escape. It's very possible that you aren't the only one that feels threatened by them either. Maybe you should talk to some of the adults as well but don't be afraid to speak up against it. The only way they'll cut your wings is if you give up. Love, Darem.

I would seriously consider checking out other church groups to see if there's anywhere near that could use your talents. Maybe some of your friends could come with you? If not I am sure if you're the best drummer they will eventually come round. Maybe there was some bad history with the previous leader and they are taking that out on you. People do behave strangely! I hope you get to play drums somewhere and they give you a chance. Pepe.

Thanks to everyone who answered. Remember, ANYONE can take part so click to read this week's question, and send us your answer.

March 5, 2012 - submitted by Fraser, United Kingdom

Q. Hey, seeing as June 4th is a bank holiday, I'm assuming the tubes will stop running earlier than normal. So do you think it will be possible to use the tube to get home? (I'm going home to Essex)

June 4th is also the diamond jubilee concert so do you think TFL may run the tube later for that?

Cheers :D

Can't wait for the concert, even if i have to sleep outside the stadium afterwards! :P

The Oracle replies:

I would imagine that there will be sufficient transportation on the 4th June but I advise anyone wishing to travel via public transport during the late May bank holiday/Queen's Diamond Jubilee long weekend to check with the local transport authority for schedules.

March 5, 2012 - submitted by Sienna, United States of America

Q. Is there a band pet? Or at least, do the guys have pets?

The Oracle replies:

I'd like to jest that I am the band's pet but no, there isn't one. There are pets within the band's families but truth be told, other that Chris' dog & Phil's dog, I don't know who has what. Guy used to have a rabbit years ago...

March 5, 2012 - submitted by Craig, United Kingdom

Q. Hi there,

just wondering if the bands clothing is custom made or if I can buy similar gear in the shops as I love the colours and graffiti used in them ?

Look forward to a reply thanks :)

The Oracle replies:

The beauty of Coldplay stage costumes is that you can easily recreate the look at home and most of the key items can be found on the high street. Ooh get me, I sound like Gok Wan.

Any that aren't available from popular chains can be replaced by similar items given that they will be customized with dye or paint to change their appearance anyway.

March 6, 2012 - submitted by Nya, United States of America

Q. Could you tell me what performance its from when Chris walks on the crowd inside a bubble?

The Oracle replies:

Er, he's never done that... Someone must be either a) confusing Chris with someone else or b) telling you porky pies.

March 6, 2012 - submitted by Medeiros, Brazil

Q. At the opening of Paradise and Charlie Brown videos we can see underneath the song title the numbers MMXI and MMXII respectively, this would have anything to do with the song titled MMIX that serves as a opening for Every Teardrop is a Waterfall?

The Oracle replies:

The Paradise video was made in 2011 and the Charlie Brown video was made in 2012. In Roman Numerals those years are represented as MMXI and MMXII respectively. Neither have anything to do with MMIX on MX - which does not mean 1010 by the way.

March 6, 2012 - submitted by Katherine Board, United Kingdom

Q. I met Coldplay in 2005 at a preview of X&Y, there was a video of them meeting the fans but I can't find a copy of the video on the internet, can you help please?

The Oracle replies:

Go to our Archive section of the site, then to the Timeline section, click 2005, there are 2 TV icons in March, one of them is that rehearsal at Music Bank.

March 6, 2012 - submitted by Nya, United States of America[/color][/b]

Q. Could you tell me what performance its from when Chris walks on the crowd inside a bubble?

The Oracle replies:

Er, he's never done that... Someone must be either a) confusing Chris with someone else or b) telling you porky pies.

The theory on here (at least that I've seen) is that this is a guy in a cover band. Looks a bit like Chris and it does seem like a Chris-ish thing to do, but it's not Coldplay.:) (I think there's a picture in the Chris thread of him.)

March 7, 2012 - submitted by Sarah, Canada

Q. Can you point me to a picture of how the stage is set up for the North American Tour. This is in regards to buying seats behind the stage and I am curious if it has a high backdrop or not.

Thanks!

The Oracle replies:

As I said last week (or the week before), the view from behind the stage is a good one so don't worry. There isn't a backdrop as such; it's open apart from a low graffiti wall.

March 7, 2012 - submitted by Valentina, Denmark

Q. As a guitarist, I was wondering if Jonny ever did an interview for a specialized guitar magazine, like other famous guitarists do? If he did, can you direct me to it? Also has he ever considered releasing his own signature guitar? :)

The Oracle replies:

Yes, he was interviewed for Guitarist magazine back in October, 2001. We ourselves also published an interview with Jonny in January, 2009. I've never heard mention of a signature guitar. I wouldn't be surprised if he had been asked, but there isn't one out there.

March 7, 2012 - submitted by Franco, Paraguay

Q. Dear Oracle, you can tell us if

cellphone record is true?

"Will Champion: "Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela watch out, here we go".

We can't found the complete video anywhere... Thanks! Please send us any link to see the complete video!

The Oracle replies:

I found the complete video which is also a much clearer version.

This video is quite old now and although Will does mention certain countries and says "...watch out, we will come"; he doesn't mention when.

There is always the possibility of tour dates being added to the current itinerary but as yet there has been no mention of South America other than in that interview.

March 6, 2012 - submitted by Nya, United States of America[/color][/b]

The Oracle replies:

Maybe they're thinking of Wayne Coyne...:confused:

Hi Oracle, do you know what this song is? I found it looking for a live version of Yes (on a sidenote - is there any televised/proshot version of Yes anywhere? I would LOVE to see one). This is a soundcheck where apparently Chris is playing electric drum. Thanks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTIci0LuM5I&feature=related]Chris Martin playing the drums at the Coldplay soundcheck in Toronto - YouTube[/ame]